Foreigner doc in Turkey - Questions are welcome

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mestielest

an old mind
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi colleagues. I am an urologist & native turkish citizen. I tried to help and share my ideas on some threads and also in conversations. Any questions will be welcome. Before that, I want to give you the main points:

Q1. Do I need to learn Turkish to pass the exams and to work in Turkey?
A1. The exam(s) are in Turkish. Thus, you need to learn Turkish to pass the exam(s). The booklet of the exam(s) are also in Turkish.

Q2. Are there any language exam?
A2. No. There is only exam(s) which comprises medical questions.

Q3. What is the pathway for a foreign graduate to work in Turkey?
A3. Firstly you need to pass "Tıp Doktorluğu Alanında Yükseköğretim Diploma Denkliği İçin Seviye Tespit Sınavı" (lit. Placement Exam for Diploma Equivalency in Medical Doctorate). If you pass this exam, you will have the rights of a MD in Turkey.

If you are a citizen of Turkey and don't plan to getting into a residency, you have to attend to a "Devlet Hizmet Yükümlülüğü Kurası" (lit. State Service Obligation Appointment) and complete an obligatory service in state health care system. After then, you can either keep on in state health care system as a General Practitioner or you can resign from state job and get into a private job.

If you are a citizen of an foreign country and don't plan to getting into a residency, you can not work in state health care system. Also you do not have a obligatory service. You can work in private health care sector as a GP.

Q4. What is the pathway if I consider a residency?
A4. Firstly you need to pass the equivalency exam.

Then you have to sit to an another exam named "Tıpta Uzmanlık Sınavı" (lit. Specialization in Medicine Examination).

If you are a citizen of Turkey, you can choose one of the positions available for Turkish graduates.

If you are a citizen of an foreign country, you can choose one of the positions available for foreigners.

Q5. Are there any interviews? How the applicants get into the positions.
A5. There is no interviews. You submit your choices to a centralized system online. The one who have the higher mark get into the position.

Q6. What are the differences between native and foreigner positions?
A6. Working environment is the same. Foreigner salary is less.

Q7. What is the career choice after the residency?
A7. After you finished your residency, you have your diploma as an attending physician.

If you are a citizen of Turkey, you start your obligatory service.

If you are a citizen of a foreign country, you find a job in private hospitals or open a private office.

Q8. What are the web sources?
A8. www.drtus.com is a good online community.
www.osym.gov.tr is the webpage of the Higher Education Board of the Turkey, which makes the exams and places the applicants to the positions.
http://www.osym.gov.tr/TR,8901/hakkinda.html is the webpage of the STS exam.
http://www.osym.gov.tr/TR,8854/hakkinda.html is the webpage of the TUS exam.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the information
I need to ask question please
what is the research center in Ankara which allow foreigners to peruse a research or find research adviser ?
thanks in advance

Hi colleagues. I am an urologist & native turkish citizen. I tried to help and share my ideas on some threads and also in conversations. Any questions will be welcome. Before that, I want to give you the main points:

Q1. Do I need to learn Turkish to pass the exams and to work in Turkey?
A1. The exam(s) are in Turkish. Thus, you need to learn Turkish to pass the exam(s). The booklet of the exam(s) are also in Turkish.

Q2. Are there any language exam?
A2. No. There is only exam(s) which comprises medical questions.

Q3. What is the pathway for a foreign graduate to work in Turkey?
A3. Firstly you need to pass "Tıp Doktorluğu Alanında Yükseköğretim Diploma Denkliği İçin Seviye Tespit Sınavı" (lit. Placement Exam for Diploma Equivalency in Medical Doctorate). If you pass this exam, you will have the rights of a MD in Turkey.

If you are a citizen of Turkey and don't plan to getting into a residency, you have to attend to a "Devlet Hizmet Yükümlülüğü Kurası" (lit. State Service Obligation Appointment) and complete an obligatory service in state health care system. After then, you can either keep on in state health care system as a General Practitioner or you can resign from state job and get into a private job.

If you are a citizen of an foreign country and don't plan to getting into a residency, you can not work in state health care system. Also you do not have a obligatory service. You can work in private health care sector as a GP.

Q4. What is the pathway if I consider a residency?
A4. Firstly you need to pass the equivalency exam.

Then you have to sit to an another exam named "Tıpta Uzmanlık Sınavı" (lit. Specialization in Medicine Examination).

If you are a citizen of Turkey, you can choose one of the positions available for Turkish graduates.

If you are a citizen of an foreign country, you can choose one of the positions available for foreigners.

Q5. Are there any interviews? How the applicants get into the positions.
A5. There is no interviews. You submit your choices to a centralized system online. The one who have the higher mark get into the position.

Q6. What are the differences between native and foreigner positions?
A6. Working environment is the same. Foreigner salary is less.

Q7. What is the career choice after the residency?
A7. After you finished your residency, you have your diploma as an attending physician.

If you are a citizen of Turkey, you start your obligatory service.

If you are a citizen of a foreign country, you find a job in private hospitals or open a private office.

Q8. What are the web sources?
A8. www.drtus.com is a good online community.
www.osym.gov.tr is the webpage of the Higher Education Board of the Turkey, which makes the exams and places the applicants to the positions.
Hakkında is the webpage of the STS exam.
Hakkında is the webpage of the TUS exam.

Hii,
I am Egyptian. I will start my last year in high school in September 2017 and graduate in June 2018. I study the American Diploma and have taken the SATs. I want to apply to the Turkish government scholarship to study medicine in Turkey.
Right now, I am facing the problem of not finding the admissions requirements that are related to my case.
I want to know that if I want to get accepted into medical school , what is the minimum new SAT score required?
Do I have to lake English proficiency test even though I study in English since grade school and have taken an American national test and want to study medicine in English?
Do I have to take a Turkish proficiency test with all the above conditions?

I have gotten a 1400/1600 new SAT score equivalent to 1990/2400 old SAT score. 750/800 in SAT Biology and 73O /800 in SAT Math1. A GPA of 4.0.

I find it difficult to know if I'm eligible or not since:
1) Most SAT requirements on universities' websites are of the old SAT.
2) If there is a requirements section regarding the SAT, they don't specify medicine but a minimum admission requirement to the university in general. In which case, they mostly state 1100/1600. This is a fairly low score to be required since medicine usually has higher requirements than any faculty.

Could you please help me answer those questions? Or at least direct me to the right source to get those info?

Thanks in advance.

Hii,
I am Egyptian. I will start my last year in high school in September 2017 and graduate in June 2018. I study the American Diploma and have taken the SATs. I want to apply to the Turkish government scholarship to study medicine in Turkey.
Right now, I am facing the problem of not finding the admissions requirements that are related to my case.
I want to know that if I want to get accepted into medical school , what is the minimum new SAT score required?
Do I have to lake English proficiency test even though I study in English since grade school and have taken an American national test and want to study medicine in English?
Do I have to take a Turkish proficiency test with all the above conditions?

I have gotten a 1400/1600 new SAT score equivalent to 1990/2400 old SAT score. 750/800 in SAT Biology and 73O /800 in SAT Math1. A GPA of 4.0.

I find it difficult to know if I'm eligible or not since:
1) Most SAT requirements on universities' websites are of the old SAT.
2) If there is a requirements section regarding the SAT, they don't specify medicine but a minimum admission requirement to the university in general. In which case, they mostly state 1100/1600. This is a fairly low score to be required since medicine usually has higher requirements than any faculty.

Could you please help me answer those questions? Or at least direct me to the right source to get those info?

Thanks in advance.

You are welcome. Unfortunately, I can not give you any information now. However, I'm gonna ask to my foreigner friends and return after sometime. See you.

Thank you for the information
I need to ask question please
what is the research center in Ankara which allow foreigners to peruse a research or find research adviser ?
thanks in advance

Depends on your needs. If you are looking for a PhD program you can find virtually in all universities. Unfortunately, most positions are free of salary. Therefore, you will need to find a job or a sponsor for you.

I am an American anesthesiologist and intensivist who is married to a Turk. We talk about moving to Istanbul to be closer to my wife’s family but certainly me working is a concern. What would be the options for me. I see I would have to take what appear to be licensing exams that are in Turkish, but would I have to repeat residency and fellowship training as well or would this transfer? Would I be eligible for both private and state hospitals?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I am an American anesthesiologist and intensivist who is married to a Turk. We talk about moving to Istanbul to be closer to my wife’s family but certainly me working is a concern. What would be the options for me. I see I would have to take what appear to be licensing exams that are in Turkish, but would I have to repeat residency and fellowship training as well or would this transfer? Would I be eligible for both private and state hospitals?

Hi Eric,

Whatever you have done USA is valid in Turkey, you don't have to repeat anything but I believe you need to pass the equivalency exam which shouldn't be a big deal. Regarding state/private hospitals if you are not a Turkish citizen you are not eligible to work in state hospitals and even if you become a Turkish citizen you might need to do an obligatory service before start working in state hospitals. State hospital doctors are appointed by Ministry of Health, so it is not like you can go and immediately start working in a state hospital in Istanbul for example. For you the more viable option would be to work in a private hospital as you would get paid more/working in the city that you desire etc.

Hit me up if you have additional Qs

Reactions: 1 user

Significant info was given by @danube123 . I think the most sensible path for you is:
1. Learning turkish
2. Passing equavalency exam and start to work in a private hospital as a practitioner
3. Applying to validate your specialty in turkey.
4. Starting to work as an intensivist in a private hospital

For Istanbul, there is always somewhere to work. Considering your US specialization, you will make a good amount of money after you validate your intensivist/anesthesiologist specialty. Payment as a practitioner is also decent. The biggest problem seems like the burocracy of turkish health ministry.

Good luck and welcome to Turkey :)

That's great, thank you both so much. I am working on learning the language, having my mother in law here helps a lot! So, it sounds like this would almost be easier than going to a commonwealth country like UK or Australia. You mentioned the bureaucracy as being a pain, can you elaborate on what I could expect to run into?

Hello,
I'm an Algerian medical student and was wondering about whether or not I could continue my studies there. What exams would I have to pass? is the teaching in English or turkish?

Hello,
I'm an Algerian medical student and was wondering about whether or not I could continue my studies there. What exams would I have to pass? is the teaching in English or turkish?

You need to clarify what do you mean by "continuing your studies in Turkey". Do you plan to do residency in Turkey, or finish the rest of your medical school in Turkey?

Hello everyone, thanks for the info
I’m a Somalian doctor who just finished his MBBS in China, I like Turkey and I want to get my residency there. I have a couple of questions if you guys can help me with
1.I’m planning to go there within a month, so how long does it usually take to clear the equivalent exam and TUS
2.I want to get a cardiology specialty, and I’ve seen that it requires the highest score of TUS at 70, I want to know how difficult is it to get that mark
3.How competitive is it to get into Cardiology residency and how long will it take
4.How is the working hours and the salary of this department
5. In US, Usually going for any sub specialty residency of internal medicine I.e cardiology requires for you to do internal medicine residency first then when you finish you can go for your specialty, does Turkey have that kind of system or you can go directly to your specialty?
Anymore info about cardiology residency in Turkey will be much appreciated
Thanks

PS: I also posted this on another thread hoping to get more info about the topic

Hello everyone, thanks for the info
I’m a Somalian doctor who just finished his MBBS in China, I like Turkey and I want to get my residency there. I have a couple of questions if you guys can help me with
1.I’m planning to go there within a month, so how long does it usually take to clear the equivalent exam and TUS
2.I want to get a cardiology specialty, and I’ve seen that it requires the highest score of TUS at 70, I want to know how difficult is it to get that mark
3.How competitive is it to get into Cardiology residency and how long will it take
4.How is the working hours and the salary of this department
5. In US, Usually going for any sub specialty residency of internal medicine I.e cardiology requires for you to do internal medicine residency first then when you finish you can go for your specialty, does Turkey have that kind of system or you can go directly to your specialty?
Anymore info about cardiology residency in Turkey will be much appreciated
Thanks

PS: I also posted this on another thread hoping to get more info about the topic

Dear Rafek,

Firstly I hope you a successful career and will be happy to see you as a colleague in Turkey in the future.

1. Equivalency exam (STS) and TUS are both carried out twice a year. It possible to pass both of them in thr same year if you can pass STS exam in the spring, and TUS in the fall.
2. Cardiology was one of the most competetive branches in the past. However, by the time it becomes less competetive. Anyway you will not apply to the positions for turkish citizens. Therefore, the 70 mark is irrelevant with you. I think the main problem will be the respectively less number of foreigner positions in cardiology.
3. It depends on several factors. For example the number of foreigner positions, the number of appliciants etc.
4. First year you will have to probably work in 36/12 schedule. After sometime it will get better. Salary is not very good for foreigners. I suppose they are earning just to pay the rent and a borderline lifestyle. However, there are some "off-the-record" ways to earn more in big cities.
5. Cardiology is a main-branch in Turkey. Cardiology residents are making IM rotations during their residency. So you will directly got into a cardio slot.

Generals:
Cardiology residency is somehow competetive for turkish docs, however, it is impossible to predict the situation for a foreigner. It would be very competetive if only one foreigner slot was open in your application period or very easy if there was several slots. It is not predictable. If you get into a residency you will probably start working in the ward with 36/12 schedule, with one weekend off. We don't have on-calls except very uncommon situations. By the time, you will have two shift a week, one shift a week, only weekdays owking hours etc. During this time you will work in coroner angio lab, ICU, and you will make some rotations. Routine time is 4 years but in most programs they end with 4,5 or 5 to undertake more interventional procedures during the senior years. Considering you are a foreigner, you will not have an obligatory state service. You will get into private practice directly.

Dear Rafek,

Firstly I hope you a successful career and will be happy to see you as a colleague in Turkey in the future.

1. Equivalency exam (STS) and TUS are both carried out twice a year. It possible to pass both of them in thr same year if you can pass STS exam in the spring, and TUS in the fall.
2. Cardiology was one of the most competetive branches in the past. However, by the time it becomes less competetive. Anyway you will not apply to the positions for turkish citizens. Therefore, the 70 mark is irrelevant with you. I think the main problem will be the respectively less number of foreigner positions in cardiology.
3. It depends on several factors. For example the number of foreigner positions, the number of appliciants etc.
4. First year you will have to probably work in 36/12 schedule. After sometime it will get better. Salary is not very good for foreigners. I suppose they are earning just to pay the rent and a borderline lifestyle. However, there are some "off-the-record" ways to earn more in big cities.
5. Cardiology is a main-branch in Turkey. Cardiology residents are making IM rotations during their residency. So you will directly got into a cardio slot.

Generals:
Cardiology residency is somehow competetive for turkish docs, however, it is impossible to predict the situation for a foreigner. It would be very competetive if only one foreigner slot was open in your application period or very easy if there was several slots. It is not predictable. If you get into a residency you will probably start working in the ward with 36/12 schedule, with one weekend off. We don't have on-calls except very uncommon situations. By the time, you will have two shift a week, one shift a week, only weekdays owking hours etc. During this time you will work in coroner angio lab, ICU, and you will make some rotations. Routine time is 4 years but in most programs they end with 4,5 or 5 to undertake more interventional procedures during the senior years. Considering you are a foreigner, you will not have an obligatory state service. You will get into private practice directly.
Dear Mestielest, Thank you so much for the detailed explanation

Hi!i am a dentist and need to know where can i get the sts exam materials for dental exam?any info is highly appreciated.

Hi!i am a dentist and need to know where can i get the sts exam materials for dental exam?any info is highly appreciated.
I need to ask my dentist colleagues

Hello! I'm Bulgarian board certified surgeon on a military contract currently working in Military Medical Academy. I'd like to take a different route in my career and my greatest desire would be to continue my surgery practice in Izmir where I had lived for a year previously. So I'll glady appreciate some info on the working conditions for surgeons there, any impressions, average monthly salary. Presuming the Bulgarian diploma is not recognized in Turkey, so I'll have to take STS exam, but do I have to go through any equivalency exams or it's just a document review? What is the rate of success and difficulty of STS exam? It's been 7 years since I graduated so my knowledge of general medicine has gradually shifted towards surgery and I reckon I'll have to go through some stuff again... Are there any suitable study materials for preparation? Any recommendations for a good medical turkish language text book in english for people who have only basic turkish knowledge (I can order meals and beverages and have brief conversation with a stranger :)).

I want to residency in pediatrics in turkey. Can anyone please tell me the average salary as a foreign medical resident in turkey!