This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Black_Mamba

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have a UK degree already, which is rated "Upper Second Class" overall. This means, by my research, that it should transfer into the US system as somewhere between an A and B overall average, as in, around 3.75 typically.

Now I got my degree evaluated by a NACES agency and applied to a premed program here in the States (where I normally live), and that agency evaluated my overall foreign GPA as a mere 3.0.
This completely destroyed my GPA at my premed program (where my institution specific GPA is 3.85).
I have contacted the agency with a request to re-evaluate, but to no avail. The agency's reasoning was that most of my classes were completed with an 80-85% average, which in the US is a B (But in the UK, this is an A).

Has anyone else been in this situation? What do I do?
Get a new evaluation done by a different agency, possibly running into the same problem again?
And whenever I send out my US transcripts now, this 3.0 GPA from my UK degree is automatically included in my transcripts and GPA calculations. Would I even be able to get rid of it with a new evaluation?

Lastly, do Medical Schools know that foreign degrees are evaluated like this or will they only look at my cumulative GPA versus my institution specific GPA?

My cumulative GPA is now a mere 3.585, which does not allow me to apply to any of my med school choices.

Help!
WES. Need to play by their rules. Please read old threads--many posts on this. Best of luck.

Typically, you need a Canadian or a US Bachelor's degree to be accepted to US allopathic schools (cannot comment on DO).

The agency's reasoning was that most of my classes were completed with an 80-85% average, which in the US is a B (But in the UK, this is an A).
It seems they do not know what they're doing. Second the recommendation of using WES.

Status
Not open for further replies.