Foreign pharmacist :internship in NYC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

braineddetermined

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'm an Italian pharmacist (green card holder) planning to get licensed in NY and have a few questions: how hard is to get an internship ( either in retail or hospitals such as Cornell,HSS, Sloan-Kettering, Lenox Hill, Mount Sinai,etc) in NYC and whether is it paid or not? how many days/w do interns usually work ? what are the shift hours ?
Also I wonder what is like to work at Duane Reade or Riteaid ( so far I've been reading very negative posts on CVS/Walgreen)...Hope someone can help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hahahaah, a pharmacist with no US experience trying to land a job in the most saturated job market in the country?

Auguri!!

Reactions: 1 user
Up hill battle. Find connections and be persistent.

See posts on current BLS stats, HRSA stats, and Pharmacist Man Power stats for your desired region of employment to get an idea what you're up against.

Members don't see this ad :)
Up hill battle. Find connections and be persistent.

See posts on current BLS stats, HRSA stats, and Pharmacist Man Power stats for your desired region of employment to get an idea what you're up against.

Thank you for the advice! Do you also know whether internships are paid or not and what would be a decent pay in big cities ?

Thank you for the advice! Do you also know whether internships are paid or not and what would be a decent pay in big cities ?
Interns (if you are able to get a position) generally pay the same as a pharm tech (pay varies drastically by geographical location and retail vs hospital) - if you are lucky you might be classified as a grad intern - but that is only likely in a rural hard to staff area now days. You might be able to land a non-paid one - although sometimes the work we would get from you is often not worth the hassle when we have students lined up to take the position without the paperwork.

Salaries in NYC are very low compared to the cost of living - do you have to be in NYC?

Interns (if you are able to get a position) generally pay the same as a pharm tech (pay varies drastically by geographical location and retail vs hospital) - if you are lucky you might be classified as a grad intern - but that is only likely in a rural hard to staff area now days. You might be able to land a non-paid one - although sometimes the work we would get from you is often not worth the hassle when we have students lined up to take the position without the paperwork.

Salaries in NYC are very low compared to the cost of living - do you have to be in NYC?

I've got some relatives there, therefore the living expenses would be less( at least the rent ). Now, from what I've understood if I'm lucky I will be doing an unpaid internship for a year ( 1200 hours needed)...how about independent pharmacies? are they more willing to take interns ? Also, from what I've read ( if everything goes well ) the salary of a pharmacist should be between 120k-160k, how much less it's in big cities ?

Have you taken and passed both TOEFL and FPGEE? You need to pass those before you even think of internships. If you get an internship, expect it to be unpaid.

I've got some relatives there, therefore the living expenses would be less( at least the rent ). Now, from what I've understood if I'm lucky I will be doing an unpaid internship for a year ( 1200 hours needed)...how about independent pharmacies? are they more willing to take interns ? Also, from what I've read ( if everything goes well ) the salary of a pharmacist should be between 120k-160k, how much less it's in big cities ?
120-160 is on the high end - I know somebody who worked at a NYC hospital 2 years ago for 104k

A major NYC hospital staff pharmacist in union offers 110k per year startup

In india pharmacy is underestimated , horrible profession. Pharmacist can't prescribe any drugs.
I am a pharmacy graduate, feel very humilation. Here an ayurveda doctor can prescribe allopathy, an ayurveda doctor don't know even a single thing and they can practice. Whole pharma industry is covered by non- pharma professional like graduate in science and high school passes or failed they don't even know what is definition of pharmacy.
I don't know situation of other countries.

Sent from my Moto G 2014 using Tapatalk