forbearance after fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psych1980

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi-

How long after I graduate from fellowship do loans go out of forbearance? I'm assuming its not immediate- is there some sort of grace period? I'm trying to close on a house and need to show documentation of forbearance for 12 months-- but we don't close until around September. Is there a 2-3 month wait until those loans kick in?

Thanks,
Amanda

Members don't see this ad.

As mvenus929 mentions, we don't know the exact details of your forebearance. Only you and your loan servicer do. If you don't remember the details, give them a call.

Typically fellowships do not put your loans in automatic forbearance (like how going back to school puts them back into in-school status), so you may have asked your lender for the forbearance. If your loans are federal loans, you typically get something like 1-3-years worth of general forbearance--you just have to ask your servicer and then send in a form. That 1-3 years doesn't include hardship forbearances.

If your loans are private everything is entirely up to the loan servicer.

Are these government or private loans? Forbearance capitalizes your interest, its not a good move.
Why are you not in IBR?

With the caveats that this was years ago and for federal loans, my first payment was due 6 months after the end of my forbearance.