For those paying more for OOS tuition, is it possible to become a resident and pay less?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

exacto

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to a school which has almost 2x the instate tuition cost. Is it possible to obtain residency in the new state and pay instate tuition price or do they prevent this?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends entirely on the state and their residency requirements.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to a school which has almost 2x the instate tuition cost. Is it possible to obtain residency in the new state and pay instate tuition price or do they prevent this?

I know OU-HCOM and Ohio state residency laws do allow us to apply for residency AFTER 1 full year of residence. This means I won't have in-state till 3rd year, but the savings are ~45k, so it's still worth it.

Depends entirely on the state and their residency requirements.

State is West Virginia. I was wondering if the school has you locked in to the original tuition price or if it can be changed? Or maybe if they have their own residency requirements different from the state requirements.

State is West Virginia. I was wondering if the school has you locked in to the original tuition price or if it can be changed? Or maybe if they have their own residency requirements different from the state requirements.

To be able to claim residency status in WV for the purposes of in state consideration at WVSOM you need to meet the 3 criteria under general requirements: https://www.wvsom.edu/sites/default/files/u16/WVRESIDENCY.FORMread.pdf

So basically no you won't be able to get the tuition changed. To be honest the only schools that I have heard of doing this are the Texas schools. I know there are others but it isn't super common.

To be able to claim residency status in WV for the purposes of in state consideration at WVSOM you need to meet the 3 criteria under general requirements: https://www.wvsom.edu/sites/default/files/u16/WVRESIDENCY.FORMread.pdf

So basically no you won't be able to get the tuition changed. To be honest the only schools that I have heard of doing this are the Texas schools. I know there are others but it isn't super common.

Yeah, number 3 is kinda the deal breaker.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, number 3 is kinda the deal breaker.

Number 3 is just bonkers. What the hell kind of requirement is that?

"You do not count as in-state if you're only living here because you go to school here." Really?

"You do not count as in-state if you're only living here because you go to school here." Really?

Actually a lot of states are like that unfortunately.

Reactions: 1 users
Actually a lot of states are like that unfortunately.

I was a resident of nowhere for a few years because of this. Grew up in State A, went to college in State B, got a driver's license there because I thought I'd end up staying but ended up going to grad school in State C.

Yeah, actually I believe Texas is one of those states that requires you to live in the state for either 12-24 mos without being a fulltime student at a university/graduate school in the state. Or at least that's what it was like back in the day when I briefly contemplated changing my state residency and applying to TMDSAS.

The premise is that you weren't/aren't there paying into the system that subsidizes the low tuition. You're a visitor and they don't want to pay for you

Yeah, actually I believe Texas is one of those states that requires you to live in the state for either 12-24 mos without being a fulltime student at a university/graduate school in the state. Or at least that's what it was like back in the day when I briefly contemplated changing my state residency and applying to TMDSAS.

Yeah for actual state residency it I should something along these lines. I was more referencing the ability to switch to in-state tuition after a year, as I know people personally who this happened to. I wasn't clear though in what I was referencing at all. It is possible that these students were just given a scholarship of sorts that lowered the tuition to in-state level.

It's not like it matters so much I'm Texas anyway though. Their OOS tuition is still ridiculously cheap.

The premise is that you weren't/aren't there paying into the system that subsidizes the low tuition. You're a visitor and they don't want to pay for you

And for all those pre-meds, reading this is why some schools have things like crazy high OOS tuition (MSU) or a 5 year working contract (Ohio). They are trying to recoup the losses from training someone who won't feed back into the state system, because that's their whole mission.

Could you buy a tiny piece of property? Maybe that would swing that decision

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

A friend of mine did med school in Cincinnati and they allowed you to get in state tuition after the first year of school.

NY allows this; NJ, no. Not sure about other states

The best strategy is to live, work and pay taxes in a given state for a minimum of 12 months before you matriculate to Med school. Of course, there are always back doors to explore. For example, I know a physician who graduated from the University of North Carolina, who was from Indiana, but qualified for in-state tuition since her parents owned a vacation home in the state (and she put that address on her med school application). Then, at some of the wealthy schools (endowment wise) like Texas A&M, even if you get awarded a minimal scholarship, you qualify for in-state tuition. There are only a few public DO schools, so applicable back doors should be easy to investigate.