For the low gpa students that got into pod school, how are you doing now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gstead245

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The low gpa students around 2.8-3.2 in undergrad, how are you doing now in podiatry school? Are you barely surviving or excelling and why? What helped you adapt to the new workload?

Members don't see this ad.

I had a cousin who got into pod school with around a 3.0 and a 17 mcat. She repeated first year after failing a class, struggled with the workload, but eventually graduated and snagged a residency.

I have another cousin who had a 3.1 in undergrad and graduated pod school with no major issues. She also had an extremely low MCAT (round 16) but she is tenacious and fierce. ended up landing a great gig at our local hospital making round 110K with benefits. Not bad for a bio major with a 3.1 GPA

Where you start is not where you end up. Push your limits, and a pod school may take a chance on you.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I had a cousin who got into pod school with around a 3.0 and a 17 mcat. She repeated first year after failing a class, struggled with the workload, but eventually graduated and snagged a residency.

I have another cousin who had a 3.1 in undergrad and graduated pod school with no major issues. She also had an extremely low MCAT (round 16) but she is tenacious and fierce. ended up landing a great gig at our local hospital making round 110K with benefits. Not bad for a bio major with a 3.1 GPA

Where you start is not where you end up. Push your limits, and a pod school may take a chance on you.
Hey do you guys think I have a chance. I am majoring in Microbiology with a minor in health promotion. I will be graduation with a GPA close to 3.0. I haven't taken the MCAT yet but I am studying for it. I went on a medical mission trip and did 1000 hours at a pediatric clinic in a middle eastern country. I have done 50 hours of shadowing a podiatrist. I have almost 2000 hours of research. I also volunteered at a nursing home for 200 hours.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey do you guys think I have a chance. I am majoring in Microbiology with a minor in health promotion. I will be graduation with a GPA close to 3.0. I haven't taken the MCAT yet but I am studying for it. I went on a medical mission trip and did 1000 hours at a pediatric clinic in a middle eastern country. I have done 50 hours of shadowing a podiatrist. I have almost 2000 hours of research. I also volunteered at a nursing home for 200 hours.

When are you applying, next year?

I say, if you are able to snag an MCAT around a 490, keep your GPAs above the 3.0 mark and apply on the first day, you should get into a pod school no problem.

Make sure to do some pod shadowing.

Some school is going to let you in. That isn't really the question. The schools are poor selectors of applicants. They pick a large number who will be cut or people who just want to slide by. Interviews were a couple of weeks ago. I literally participated in a 2 person multi-station interview where the person next to me answered almost no questions. Things are about to get real and that guy couldn't answer b*ll**** bunion trivia a few days after boards. We will be looking after sick people. The schools aren't going to cut the slackers. Residencies are going to do what they can. Do not go into this unless you are on fire with motivation. If you have attempted to take upper level science courses and even with intense effort you still can't succeed I think you should question this path.

Reactions: 1 users
When are you applying, next year?

I say, if you are able to snag an MCAT around a 490, keep your GPAs above the 3.0 mark and apply on the first day, you should get into a pod school no problem.

Make sure to do some pod shadowing.
Yeah I am applying next year. I did do pod shadowing I said 50 hours...
Do you mean try to keep my GPA in my classes above a 3.0?
Thanks for the feedback man.

Yeah I am applying next year. I did do pod shadowing I said 50 hours...
Do you mean try to keep my GPA in my classes above a 3.0?
Thanks for the feedback man.

no prob

keep your science and overall above a 3.0, snag at least a 490 on the new mcat (could prolly get in with lower), and there is bound to be a school that will accept you.

then, in 7 short years, you will be a Dr. making round 130k. Not bad for someone who graduated with a 3.0. Podiatry is a good field.

no prob

keep your science and overall above a 3.0, snag at least a 490 on the new mcat (could prolly get in with lower), and there is bound to be a school that will accept you.

then, in 7 short years, you will be a Dr. making round 130k. Not bad for someone who graduated with a 3.0. Podiatry is a good field.
Mind if I ask what school you got into?

I didn't. I am not going the pod route yet, shooting for DO and if I get no love this cycle, I'll apply pod or dental.
Lol you're one of those people alright good luck
How is dental admission easy or harder than pod?

Lol you're one of those people alright good luck
How is dental admission easy or harder than pod?

Dental is harder to get into than pod by a lot, but the mcat by far the more difficult test. Need around a 3.4 goal for dental tho with a solid dat. Pod u only need round a 3.0 with a subpar mcat.

Overall, debtal seems to be the more laid back field cuz they only have to do 4 years no residency to start making money. However, pod has a ton going for it too. Shadow both, see which one u would like better.

I didn't. I am not going the pod route yet, shooting for DO and if I get no love this cycle, I'll apply pod or dental.
You'd probably have similar if not better luck working on your app and reapplying to DO schools (or pod). DO does grade replacement and you can always study more for the MCAT. IMO, getting into a reasonably priced dental school is harder than getting into a DO school.

Members don't see this ad :)
You'd probably have similar if not better luck working on your app and reapplying to DO schools (or pod). DO does grade replacement and you can always study more for the MCAT. IMO, getting into a reasonably priced dental school is harder than getting into a DO school.

how difficult is it to get into an expensive Dental School? Something like AT still where they budget out (no joke) 110K/year for their students?

how difficult is it to get into an expensive Dental School? Something like AT still where they budget out (no joke) 110K/year for their students?
Dental is harder to get into than pod by a lot, but the mcat by far the more difficult test. Need around a 3.4 goal for dental tho with a solid dat. Pod u only need round a 3.0 with a subpar mcat.

Overall, debtal seems to be the more laid back field cuz they only have to do 4 years no residency to start making money. However, pod has a ton going for it too. Shadow both, see which one u would like better.

One of my best friends got into Dental school with a 3.1 gpa and a DAT score of 18. Both of these statistics are way below par in terms of acceptance rates in general for any reputable dental school. He did have great extracurriculars. But patients don't want to know what dental school you went to or what extracurriculars you did in college once you are a dentist. They just want good results. And any patient could arguably get this from any individual who graduated from any dental school. Regardless of this, Dental School is harder to get into because the number of applicants is far greater compared to pods. This has to do with both the number of dental schools there are and the amount of interests that pre-health professionals possess, which leads to application numbers. And it could be said that with the MCAT being much more difficult, that a subpar MCAT is comparable to an average or subpar DAT score, but there is no real conversion. And the average accepted student GPA for both cumulative and science GPA for podiatry school students in general is not a 3.0 or a subpar MCAT. I spent 4 years planning on attending dental school and switched the semester before I graduated. It wasn't because I didn't have the extracurriculars, GPA, or DAT score to get in. It's because I landed on the fact that I did not want to be a dentist. These specialties all deserve individuals who value the specialty that they are pursuing. If you are trying to juggle DO, Dental, and Pod, don't try to assume that you will love every single specialty listed here. Shadow and find out what you love to do. Healthcare should NOT be about where you can make money, but more about where you can pour yourself into in order to help people and be happy with what you are doing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
One of my best friends got into Dental school with a 3.1 gpa and a DAT score of 18. Both of these statistics are way below par in terms of acceptance rates in general for any reputable dental school. He did have great extracurriculars. But patients don't want to know what dental school you went to or what extracurriculars you did in college once you are a dentist. They just want good results. And any patient could arguably get this from any individual who graduated from any dental school. Regardless of this, Dental School is harder to get into because the number of applicants is far greater compared to pods. This has to do with both the number of dental schools there are and the amount of interests that pre-health professionals possess, which leads to application numbers. And it could be said that with the MCAT being much more difficult, that a subpar MCAT is comparable to an average or subpar DAT score, but there is no real conversion. And the average accepted student GPA for both cumulative and science GPA for podiatry school students in general is not a 3.0 or a subpar MCAT. I spent 4 years planning on attending dental school and switched the semester before I graduated. It wasn't because I didn't have the extracurriculars, GPA, or DAT score to get in. It's because I landed on the fact that I did not want to be a dentist. These specialties all deserve individuals who value the specialty that they are pursuing. If you are trying to juggle DO, Dental, and Pod, don't try to assume that you will love every single specialty listed here. Shadow and find out what you love to do. Healthcare should NOT be about where you can make money, but more about where you can pour yourself into in order to help people and be happy with what you are doing.
Drop the mic and walk away.

Well said.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 users

Thanks you for the insight!

I have shadowed all, DO, dental, and pod. My plan A is DO, but it is always wise to have a backup. Dentistry and/or podiatry is something I can see myself doing if things don't pan out.

I like dental because of how laid back it is. The worst that can happen is someone loses a tooth, and very few people die. I also like how dental wasn't affected by health care reform, as it turned out to be an nightmare. I also like how easy it is to start a practice compared to medical counterparts. I like how you can provide instant relief to patients. I do not like how smelly teeth can be

I like podiatry because of the foot. I am not in love with the foot, but I appreciate all it does and how much stress it is constantly under. I like how not wet the foot is compared to the mouth. I like how you can provide instant relief to patients. I think it would be horrible to amputate someone's foot. I do not like how smelly feet can be. I do not like how long the training is (7 years). I am surprised that pods do not get paid more, as I think the average is around 150k, compared to general surgeons who get paid close to 300k.

I respect your opinion but you have to consider the fact that a lot of people don't care at this point. They just want to be doctors essentially. I am pretty sure they are going to shadow anyway which will help them in their decision process. All in all I respect your opinion but too many people have said what you said at the last half of your paragraph but this isn't the thread for that.

I respect your opinion but you have to consider the fact that a lot of people don't care at this point. They just want to be doctors essentially. I am pretty sure they are going to shadow anyway which will help them in their decision process. All in all I respect your opinion but too many people have said what you said at the last half of your paragraph but this isn't the thread for that.
Well at this point and at every point, you should care. I realize some people don't, but it shouldn't be made to seem likes that's okay. Going into healthcare because you just want to be a doctor is potentially reckless for yourself and others, which is why I echoed the sentiments I did in the latter half as well as corrected inaccurate information regarding podiatry and dental statistics put forth by another user.

Going back to the subject of this thread I would like to point out that those who just want to become doctors aren't the ones that are going to thrive in Medical School. The ones that just want to get by are usually those who are putting forth minimal effort and not getting the best grades. A poor attitude and minimal effort is also very easy to see in clinic.

It is more likely that if you have a lower GPA in undergraduate studies you'll end up failing out of podiatry school. That doesn't mean you will but it does mean that you need to work extra hard to develop good study habits.

It's true you need to have the aptitude to do well. But you also need to have your head on straight. If you sucked grade-wise in undergrad, you need to be willing to reinvent yourself (or at least your habits) at the next level of schooling. Take pride in yourself and expect to excel. You can't go into professional school willing to just scrape by like in undergrad. The mentality of "C's get degrees" is a total disservice to your future patients.

I like podiatry because of the foot. I am not in love with the foot, but I appreciate all it does and how much stress it is constantly under. I like how not wet the foot is compared to the mouth. I like how you can provide instant relief to patients. I think it would be horrible to amputate someone's foot. I do not like how smelly feet can be. I do not like how long the training is (7 years). I am surprised that pods do not get paid more, as I think the average is around 150k, compared to general surgeons who get paid close to 300k.

yeah.... podiatry isn't for you.
The foot gets wet... Very wet. Believe me.
I amputate in some way or form almost daily.
7 years is a long time.
We get paid decent.
General surgery is worse... way worse.

Again, those who sneak into pod school usually do not sneak by. More often than not they get shown the door.
I feel really bad for some people from my class. They are screwed with debt that they have nothing to show for. That's the truth.

Well at this point and at every point, you should care. I realize some people don't, but it shouldn't be made to seem likes that's okay. Going into healthcare because you just want to be a doctor is potentially reckless for yourself and others, which is why I echoed the sentiments I did in the latter half as well as corrected inaccurate information regarding podiatry and dental statistics put forth by another user.
Are you a podiatry student right now?

Why does everyone here talk about how hard pod schools...we get it it's a ****ing medical school what do you expect? To be easy? Of course not and I am pretty ****ing sure that the majority of kids who did descent during pod school are in their residency and passed all their exams. What you guys are talking about is the minority that every medical profession has. I know 2 kids that went to tier 1 medical school and ended up flunking out. These were kids top of the class in UG. Also know 1 kid who got into a tier 2 medical school with a subpar GPA but killed it in medical school and got placed into a killer residency. Again it's all about how you are going to apply yourself. Past academic doesn't really matter once you get into pod it's how you apply yourself once you get in.

Why does everyone here talk about how hard pod schools...we get it it's a ****ing medical school what do you expect? To be easy? Of course not and I am pretty ****ing sure that the majority of kids who did descent during pod school are in their residency and passed all their exams. What you guys are talking about is the minority that every medical profession has. I know 2 kids that went to tier 1 medical school and ended up flunking out. These were kids top of the class in UG. Also know 1 kid who got into a tier 2 medical school with a subpar GPA but killed it in medical school and got placed into a killer residency. Again it's all about how you are going to apply yourself. Past academic doesn't really matter once you get into pod it's how you apply yourself once you get in.

I think that they are just trying to warn you. I think that the people in pod school are tired of seeing everyone sneak in with around 3.0 and 19 MCATs and seeing them flunk out and saying "Look see, I told you this would happen". I also don't think it is a malicious thing these posters are doing either, I think that they are just simply trying to inform everyone of the costs of going to podiatry school.

Podiatry school is great: You become a doctor and surgeon, make great money, better hours compared to most people in surgery fields, little on call, can open of your own clinic if you have the business acumen (highly unlikely for other non MD/DO medical school professionals, like ODs and Pharmacists) and for a small subset of people, get in with 3.0 and 19 mcat is a possibility where it would be laughed at in the MD/DO world.

But there is, just like all doctoral schools, a high opportunity cost. This isn't like the other non medical school health care fields like dental, optometry, PA, or pharmacy; you spend SEVEN YEARS of your 20s with your nose in a book and hands in the feet making from nothing to subpar in terms of income. You spend close to 250-300K in student loans, thats a nice housing mortgage without the house. Your hair grays, your eyes bag, and if you don't have a love for feet, I can see where it would be difficult to get through the day.

But at the end of the day, you are still a doctor, making a positive impact on people's lives.

You seem to have a lot of experience...

Reactions: 4 users
Hahaha!!!!

This thread is CASCADING off subject again. That CLASICALly happens on SDN.

I can't think of any other ALTERNATE pun.

48d60e33150674ff1000f109d2f3d73d.jpg

If you take a look over in the pre pod forum, it has seemed to be more competitive for applicants to get an acceptance. I would say with your low Gpa, you're going to want to shoot for at least a 500 on your MCAT.

If you take a look over in the pre pod forum, it has seemed to be more competitive for applicants to get an acceptance. I would say with your low Gpa, you're going to want to shoot for at least a 500 on your MCAT.
I mean by the looks of it all matters if you apply early or not and have a an mcat above 500 like you said.

I mean by the looks of it all matters if you apply early or not and have a an mcat above 500 like you said.

Dude, if your not picky, you can get in with a 490 and applying early.

Dude, if your not picky, you can get in with a 490 and applying early.
Ok lol thank you btw where does your forum name come from? Are you a gypsy who happens to love hummus.

Only thing I got from this post is you're trying to justify your sub 3.0 GPA by berating these nice people for giving factual examples of students that came into school with low GPAs that didn't pan out. Asking everyone what's the bare minimum you can do to achieve acceptance isn't going to do you favors in any career. People on here keep asking if they're up to snuff. Take a look at a class average and try to get in that range. Fake explicits aren't helping anyone's case. Professionalism goes leaps and bounds in the real world. Best to start practicing earlier than later.

[...] Healthcare should NOT be about where you can make money, but more about where you can pour yourself into in order to help people and be happy with what you are doing.
Hmmm, I actually disagree with this sentiment - healthcare (from a physician's perspective) would hardly be worth the training and effort to be paid peanuts. For PAs etc., I suppose you get what you pay for. For us, though, it's a bit more significant career investment - make it worthwhile! I don't hear about investment bankers pouring themselves out selflessly for others' happiness.

Hmmm, I actually disagree with this sentiment - healthcare (from a physician's perspective) would hardly be worth the training and effort to be paid peanuts. For PAs etc., I suppose you get what you pay for. For us, though, it's a bit more significant career investment - make it worthwhile! I don't hear about investment bankers pouring themselves out selflessly for others' happiness.
True, we make good money. But those who practice to solely make more money tend to end up in jail.
Too much debt and time to consider it a career to make a lot of money alone.
There are better, quicker options to make money.

I think you may have missed the point of what I said. To clarify, I don't think that physicians shouldn't be well compensated for the time, effort, and money spent to learn their trade or the amount that it takes to keep up with it. As dyk343 said, if you just want to make money then there are other ways to do it that probably don't take as much time and effort. Many of my friends are making a lot of money right out of undergrad with the careers they've chosen. But for the type of work that we will be doing, it seems a poor investment if that investment isn't placed with the well being of the patient in mind.

By the way, big fan of peaky blinders.
I guess we got off on the wrong foot. Let's start over. Peaky blinders is a hella of a show. Cillian Murphy my new favorite actor.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

True, we make good money. But those who practice to solely make more money tend to end up in jail.
Too much debt and time to consider it a career to make a lot of money alone.
There are better, quicker options to make money.
I haven't heard of a podiatrist ending up in jail for earning a high income, only for fraudulently doing so. I would never endorse sacrificing ethics, but rather to make sure that we don't already undersell ourselves more than we already have (previous generations had it way better with regards to compensation). I don't think there is a better way to make a good living, however, although I agree there are myriad quicker, less arduous ones.
I think you may have missed the point of what I said. To clarify, I don't think that physicians shouldn't be well compensated for the time, effort, and money spent to learn their trade or the amount that it takes to keep up with it. As dyk343 said, if you just want to make money then there are other ways to do it that probably don't take as much time and effort. Many of my friends are making a lot of money right out of undergrad with the careers they've chosen. But for the type of work that we will be doing, it seems a poor investment if that investment isn't placed with the well being of the patient in mind.
I agree, and certainly the patient should be every physician's primary concern. The shift of income away from physicians and toward insurance companies, who don't have patients' best interests in mind, is more what I was commenting on. At the rate things are going, it may become that the effort of medical school and residency is no longer worth the financial and personal investment (unless you go into one of the higher paying specialties), which is concerning for the future quality of healthcare.