For my weight lifting bros, how do you get your calories in everyday?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Best way is not to increase calories but to decrease energy expenditure. Get a motorized scooter so you don't lose them gains by walking. Want to match ortho? PEEP. Breathing is for family med
How about I slap you across your face, how many calories will be used up in that process?

Members don't see this ad.

I try to eat a decent amount in between meals, and this pretty much makes sure that I'm never really hungry throughout the day. I'm also convinced that eating more often actually helps you eat more/faster during your meals, as I can't actually eat that much for a meal when I allow myself to get hungry. I'll usually do different snacks to keep things varied. Sometimes it gets difficult if I stay on campus for extended periods of time but besides that it's pretty manageable.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone, I'm an upcoming ms1 and want to know how do you guys fit in eating a lot of good to bulk up. I need 3000 calories just to maintain my weight so any advice would be great. I have always had a hard time getting my calories in. Thanks in advance

I am the same way. If I don't consume 2700+ Calories, I lose weight. During med school and now 2 years of residency I have found several ways to eat this much. 1) always eat breakfast. Make it quick and easy so that you don't spend to much time preparing ti in the morning. Eggs, avocados, oatmeals, Greek yogurt, protein shakes. 2) Meal prep- spend a couple of hours on the weekend to prepare food for the week. Put olive oil on everything. 3) eat constantly. You don't know when and where your next meal will be (especially if you're in a surgical residency like me). Just eat prophylactically. 4) Peanut butter. Eat a lot of it and add to whatever you can.
Your weight will fluctuate a bit in residency because some blocks are more demanding than others but overall if you follow these strategies, it will help!

Shakes. Bananas, milk, almonds, peanut butter and honey. You can add more or substitute of course. Go wild with it (maybe even some ice cream).
Snacks: nuts and almonds. always with me on the go! Protein bars are also good.
Get those avocadoes in! Get thos eggs in! and then some more peanut butter.
Then just straight drink olive oil.

Reactions: 1 user
the easiest way to get meals in during times when you can't really sit and eat; pack your meal into a ziplock bag (rice/broccoli/chicken), take them out of your bag and put it in your pocket.... find a dead end hall or step into a bathroom and shove it down; return back to service

Reactions: 1 user
1. Make a list of high-calorie foods.

2. Plan your daily menu over a week and prepare your food accordingly, in advance, so there is no room left for error.

3. Stop making excuses. If it's important, you find a way to do it. Which takes me to the next point, mental exercises :
- what would you do if a gun would be pointed to your head and asked to find a way to introduce 2700 kcal in yourself every day ? I BET YOU WOULD FIND A WAY !
- what would you do if we would live in a Universe where the laws of physics cause you to lose 80% of your muscle mass if you under-eat ? I BET YOU WOULD EAT !

( I use the same strategies for weight loss folks also, with questions such as " what would you do if you'd have a type-3 Diabetes, in which over-eating just for once would cause you to die ? I CAN BET YOU WOULD FIND THE DISCIPLINE TO NOT OVER-EAT ! " )

Reactions: 1 users
Which takes me to the next point, mental exercises :
- what would you do if a gun would be pointed to your head and asked to find a way to introduce 2700 kcal in yourself every day ? I BET YOU WOULD FIND A WAY !
- what would you do if we would live in a Universe where the laws of physics cause you to lose 80% of your muscle mass if you under-eat ? I BET YOU WOULD EAT !
motivational interviewing skills: 10/10 aspirational

I usually can just walk right across the street to the hospital cafeteria and grab a snack there. You could always bring some whey with you in a bag and just put it in greek yogurt and buy nuts and fruits there. I always like hitting up the grill at the cafeteria and just getting a plain chicken breast or turkey patty on a wheat bun and just adding hot sauce for some low calorie flavor. Does the trick.