For my weight lifting bros, how do you get your calories in everyday?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kb0275

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm an upcoming ms1 and want to know how do you guys fit in eating a lot of good to bulk up. I need 3000 calories just to maintain my weight so any advice would be great. I have always had a hard time getting my calories in. Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I wish my big ass thought 3000 calories was "a lot of food" lol.

Reactions: 10 users
Weight gainer shakes. Can either look up recipes online, or just buy pre-made from the big supplement companies.

Members don't see this ad :)
I eat something every few hours even if I'm not particularly hungry. All my meals and snacks are pretty much the same thing every day, which takes out the planning part of figuring out meals. I find that my friends spend a looot of time just figuring out what they want to eat. I know exactly what I'm going to eat, and the macro breakdowns of my meals, so it's easy. (Of course I do splurge on eating out on the weekends)

Liquid calories. I make a gallon of diluted mix of peanut butter and Greek yogurt. I drink it like water. Also, one box of whole wheat spaghetti has over 2k calories. If you miss a meal, eat the whole thing. It has over 50g of protein as well. Just put some butter on it or add sauce.

How dare you alert me to the presence of this thread.

@OP
Ice cream, beer, and chipotle. U can trust me b/c I gained 45 pounds since med school started and packed on 120 pounds to my bench press.
Dropped 20 pounds on my squat tho.

Citation:

Reactions: 4 users
How dare you alert me to the presence of this thread.

@OP
Ice cream, beer, and chipotle. U can trust me b/c I gained 45 pounds since med school started and packed on 120 pounds to my bench press.
Dropped 20 pounds on my squat tho.
How many meals do you eat? Does meal frequency matter? How do you fit in lifting and eating during third year? Thanks man

How many meals do you eat? Does meal frequency matter? How do you fit in lifting and eating during third year? Thanks man
Wow that was such a genuine response that I guess I have to answer seriously or risk looking worse than I already do.

I've gained 15ish pounds since med school started. I lift 3-4 times a week (Chest/Tris, Back/Biceps, Legs, Shoulders if I have time, Abs get worked in where they fit or on off days).

Diet is easy af to manage on preclinical.
Clinical year is harder. Breakfast is a protein shake, yogurt, and a bagel. Lunch is whatever I can find in the hospital and ideally a fair amount of it - often pizza - sometimes I pack a turkey sandwich. I tend to make dinner myself; I don't get complicated with food, I just eat a lot of pasta and meat (most often chicken, though plenty of ground beef too). I don't count calories or protein at all, I just sorta try to eat "right" most days. And then sometimes I eat pure crap.

Also I wasn't completely kidding about the ice cream and beer thing; it's probably terrible for my body "fitness" wise, but it does wonders for my soul. And my heart rate is usually through the roof when I work out (and I run/play sports sometimes) so I don't feel too bad.

Also: if you actually put your mind to it, it really wouldn't be hard to eat right in med school. Like if you're trying to do the whole brown rice and grilled chicken for days thing, it honestly wouldn't be impossible to pull off. The harder thing is figuring out exactly where your priorities lie, and being okay with making compromises.

Reactions: 8 users
How many meals do you eat?

If you're ever not eating, you're going catabolic

Does meal frequency matter?

See above

How do you fit in lifting and eating during third year? Thanks man

Pretend you're on a year long ortho rotation

For real though, mass gainer shakes, cheap fast food like subway that allows you to control your calories and protein balance (a well constructed subway sandwich can get you 1600 calories for about $8), and make sure you eat breakfast, even if it is just two glasses of milk. Source: gained a lot of weight in med school

Reactions: 3 users
Anyy thoughts of intermittent fasting ? I read that it increases hgh and testosterone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyy thoughts of intermittent fasting ? I read that it increases hgh and testosterone!

It'll also raise your irritability. You need a ready mind man. Have food/meals with you throughout the day. Does your school have fridges? Eat said fridges.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
Those big jugs of peanut butter. Literally just grab a spoon and munch on it

Reactions: 2 users

Depending on the rotation/where you're at third year rotations aren't necessarily as bad as people make them out to be. Some people just struggle because there's no longer pre-made notes/lectures for you to study from. Some rotations you'll be there 8-4 or 5 every day. Plenty of time to get solid meals and a good workout in on a regular basis. It's the miserably long rotations that you've got to plan for and figure out (usually surgery, sometimes IM, depends where you're rotating). For those months it may be smarter to take a bit of a break and try and maintain rather than make any significant gains.

Depending on the rotation/where you're at third year rotations aren't necessarily as bad as people make them out to be. Some people just struggle because there's no longer pre-made notes/lectures for you to study from. Some rotations you'll be there 8-4 or 5 every day. Plenty of time to get solid meals and a good workout in on a regular basis. It's the miserably long rotations that you've got to plan for and figure out (usually surgery, sometimes IM, depends where you're rotating). For those months it may be smarter to take a bit of a break and try and maintain rather than make any significant gains.
never maintain, the glorious house of gains is always open for business

Eggs, cheese, whole milk, tuna, peanut butter, chicken breasts, avocado, bacon, bagels, Greek yogurt. All cheap and packed with calories, easy preparation. Don't go with weight gainers, you're prolly better off getting Big Macs if you're in that much of a hurry. If you're on gen surg eat two big meals, and protein bars during the day. Bench. Squat. Deadlift. Curls for girls. K.I.S.S.

Reactions: 1 users
Eggs, cheese, whole milk, tuna, peanut butter, chicken breasts, avocado, bacon, bagels, Greek yogurt. All cheap and packed with calories, easy preparation. Don't go with weight gainers, you're prolly better off getting Big Macs if you're in that much of a hurry. If you're on gen surg eat two big meals, and protein bars during the day. Bench. Squat. Deadlift. Curls for girls. K.I.S.S.
See the problem for me is that I lose my appetite due to stress when the workload is a lot and I have exams coming up which then causes me to get really stressed out and lose weight. Any way to combat this issue?

See the problem for me is that I lose my appetite due to stress when the workload is a lot and I have exams coming up which then causes me to get really stressed out and lose weight. Any way to combat this issue?

I'll second the liquid calories for this. On days when I know I don't have time to cook or I've underestimated my meal prep for the week, I have a mass-gainer handy. Mixed with 2% milk and a scoop of protein, it keeps me satisfied for a pretty good period of time and I still have pretty good energy to lift. Personal fan of ONs mass-gainer and protein powder. Mixes easy.

I second forcing liquid calories in this case

Find healthy ways to cope with the stress. Friends, exercise, video games, therapy. Whatever it is. In the meantime, try to get a routine so you don't have to think about what you're going to eat. Liquid calories is a crutch and teaching you bad habits.

Consistency is the name of the game when it comes to muscle building. That's the only way to success (naturally that is).

Put some protein powder in a clear plastic sandwich bag and take it to the hospital. You can just spill some of it out on the break room table and snort it. A credit card works great for spreading it out. Old army trick.

Reactions: 10 users
Put some protein powder in a clear plastic sandwich bag and take it to the hospital. You can just spill some of it out on the break room table and snort it. A credit card works great for spreading it out. Old army trick.
numerounoarnold_zpsa6fb01fa.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
I'm personally not a fan of mass gainers. Here are some tips I use in undergrad.
1. Bake chicken it's so much easier and less labor intensive. Thighs > breast
2. Ground turkey in tortillas with hot sauce or ketchup if needed. Sounds ridiculous and is but it's easy to make and good mix of protein and carbs with low fat.
3. Greek yogurt "triple zero" I forget what brand.
4. Eggs are ridiculously cheap
5. Peanut butter and milk. You'd be surprised how many calories (and fat) you can consume in 3 minutes shoveling in peanut butter and whole milk.

3000 calories is very easy. My tips come not out of necessity for time because I'm in med school but out of the fact that I absolutely hate cooking and food prep.

I'm personally not a fan of mass gainers. Here are some tips I use in undergrad.
1. Bake chicken it's so much easier and less labor intensive. Thighs > breast
2. Ground turkey in tortillas with hot sauce or ketchup if needed. Sounds ridiculous and is but it's easy to make and good mix of protein and carbs with low fat.
3. Greek yogurt "triple zero" I forget what brand.
4. Eggs are ridiculously cheap
5. Peanut butter and milk. You'd be surprised how many calories (and fat) you can consume in 3 minutes shoveling in peanut butter and whole milk.

3000 calories is very easy. My tips come not out of necessity for time because I'm in med school but out of the fact that I absolutely hate cooking and food prep.

I second the peanut butter and whole milk trick! I didn't know anyone else does that. But yeah the idea is to swallow the peanut butter like a pill and wash it down with milk. DO NOT CHEW. You can easily get down 1000 calories in 2 minutes with this method.

Workout more- or meditate. That's kind of a mental issue, so believe me, if you can't get over it in 1st year, then second year (and especially beyond) isn't going to be very manageable in terms of your goals unless you can find ways to cope. But that's pretty normal man-lots of us are like that. In those times, if you eat less, maybe eat more calorie-dense meals during those days/week prior to exam. Carry shakes with you and drink while doing lecture or something.

I used to eat really thick peanut butter sandwiches. You can also buy pre-made meals, but those have a lot of salt so be careful. I ate sushi often (cafeteria). Cafeteria may have good quick meals. Baking chicken is easier, too. Costco has ready-to-bake fish and whatnot. You just gotta stock up. I used to pre-make meals for a few days and store it in Tupperware and freeze until needed.

meal prep bro, cook on sundays/thursdays for the week. i eat 6 meals a day, which requires me to eat during lecture (i'm not sure if teachers are cool with it or not lol)

Liquid calories. I make a gallon of diluted mix of peanut butter and Greek yogurt. I drink it like water. Also, one box of whole wheat spaghetti has over 2k calories. If you miss a meal, eat the whole thing. It has over 50g of protein as well. Just put some butter on it or add sauce.
We really just gonna ignore this man right here?

Homie, a gallon of diluted PB and greek yogurt? What do your poops look like?

Reactions: 6 users
^^^ I was thinking the same thing, not only is it unhealthy, your body will look like chit haha

I'm a big fan of the camelback under the whitecoat so I can essentialy have a constant stream of an overpriced BCAA pumping through my veins at all times.

Now that I know about this greekyogurt-peantbutter diarrhea mix tho, I might have to switch gears and hop on this gain train.

Reactions: 7 users
I'm a big fan of the camelback under the whitecoat so I can essentialy have a constant stream of an overpriced BCAA pumping through my veins at all times.

Now that I know about this greekyogurt-peantbutter diarrhea mix tho, I might have to switch gears and hop on this gain train.

LMAO

@OP, my bulking mark during MS1-MS2 was 4500-5000 calories. In addition to the typical protein rich, calorie dense foods people have mentioned already, I primarily got the boost i needed to reach my goals via shakes. Non-fat greek yogurt, protein powder, creatine, PB, banana, nuts, etc. and your shakes can hit ~1000cal easily. They tasted so good too. Damn, ima go make a shake now.

GL, you gonna make it brah

Hi everyone, I'm an upcoming ms1 and want to know how do you guys fit in eating a lot of good to bulk up. I need 3000 calories just to maintain my weight so any advice would be great. I have always had a hard time getting my calories in. Thanks in advance
Lots of calories in beer :)

Gunning for ortho? Eat the competition.

@Brosencephalon did you feel tired after your meals? After I am done eating, im always ready to crasb and then have a hard time studying

@Brosencephalon did you feel tired after your meals? After I am done eating, im always ready to crasb and then have a hard time studying

@kb0275, sometimes. Have you tried spacing out your meals? I was having around 6 meals a day just to space out the calories, this helped with the food comas as well.

@kb0275, sometimes. Have you tried spacing out your meals? I was having around 6 meals a day just to space out the calories, this helped with the food comas as well.
I use to do 6 meals but then I would always think about my next meal and I would get distracted from my studies so I stopped it and only eat three meals. Also, I was thinking of getting use to eating 3 meals as I will have mandatory attendance and won't have time to eat 6 meals.

I eat.

If you're insisting on liquid meals here's an easy way to get 1000-1500 healthy, unprocessed calories.

-Add 1- 1&1/2 cups of uncooked steel cut oats in blender
-Blend
-Add 1- 1&1/2 cup organic of milk
-Add 5-6 tbsp of natural peanut or almond butter
-Add 1tbsp of honey
-Blend
-Cheap, tastes great and goes down easy, lots of fiber, low index carbs, healthy fats and protons

Liquid calories. I make a gallon of diluted mix of peanut butter and Greek yogurt. I drink it like water..

That sounds terrible. POWs eat better stuff than that.

Best way is not to increase calories but to decrease energy expenditure. Get a motorized scooter so you don't lose them gains by walking. Want to match ortho? PEEP. Breathing is for family med

Reactions: 5 users