FMG PM&R residency chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SilentNight

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there!

I am currently studying in Australia for my medical degree and wondered if anyone can guide me to getting a PM&R residency once I graduate. I really enjoy musculoskeletal medicine and PM&R is the top choice specialty for me. I still have 3 years left in medical school and would like to know:

How competitive is/will PM&R residency be for a US citizen FMG? What would be a competitive Step 1 score? What else can I do to improve my chances?

Ideally, I am looking into California programs and getting into a sports medicine fellowship. I am open to any other states. Do I have a shot at Stanford or UC Davis PM&R?

I really appreciate your insights!

Members don't see this ad.

There's a lot of DO's in PM&R and some Caribbean graduates, but very few foreign medical graduates that I've seen. There's also a huge expansion of American medical schools underway that's squeezing out what's left of the foreign graduates, most of whom gravitate towards Family Medicine and community Internal Medicine programs.

As for Stanford and UC Davis, those programs are very selective about who they even give interviews to.

If you are dead set on going to those programs them I would rec setting up rotations there and doing everything in your power to leave a lasting positive impression.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's a lot of DO's in PM&R and some Caribbean graduates, but very few foreign medical graduates that I've seen. There's also a huge expansion of American medical schools underway that's squeezing out what's left of the foreign graduates, most of whom gravitate towards Family Medicine and community Internal Medicine programs.

As for Stanford and UC Davis, those programs are very selective about who they even give interviews to.

Try Eastern Virginia Medical School. One of its PM&R graduates is a frequent poster on here and is always ragging on it, but he turned out pretty good.....plus they also have a PM&R pain fellowship.

There are quite a few foreign medical graduates in academic internal medicine programs.

I don't think I saw any foreign graduates at EVMS. They do take a lot of non-traditionals though (older graduates, second career folks). The program may not be the best, but it's known for being easy and it's got perhaps the best weather in the Eastern U.S., as well as a beach nearby.

Hi there!

I am currently studying in Australia for my medical degree and wondered if anyone can guide me to getting a PM&R residency once I graduate. I really enjoy musculoskeletal medicine and PM&R is the top choice specialty for me. I still have 3 years left in medical school and would like to know:

How competitive is/will PM&R residency be for a US citizen FMG? What would be a competitive Step 1 score? What else can I do to improve my chances?

Ideally, I am looking into California programs and getting into a sports medicine fellowship. I am open to any other states. Do I have a shot at Stanford or UC Davis PM&R?

I really appreciate your insights!

I don't believe that it will be a huge issue - I just went through the interview process and found a good amount of Caribbean candidates, some foreign candidates and a lot of US candidates on the trail. Being a US citizen always helps, as you will not have to deal with visa issues etc. As far as things to improve your chances - I think all the things that are always said on this forum - demonstrating interest via doing rotations, conducting research (if possible), doing well academically, having a good demeanor etc. As for step scores and such, just do your very best - prepare a lot and do well. I really don't think there are hard "cutoffs" per se, but it certainly helps to have scores >230 - 240.

I understand that you may prefer to be in California, but one major downside to being a fmg is that you have to be a little more flexible. You have to apply broadly, take all the interviews you can get and hope for the best. I know people who interviewed at those schools that didn't have an immaculate record, so I would think if you had strong step scores, did rotations at those institutions, it would not be beyond your reach.

feel free to PM if you need any further clarification...