FM Residency for a PGY4 Psychiatry Resident?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RGL01

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am finishing my PGY-3 year of psychiatry and will be transitioning into Child & Adolescent fellowship in July. I really do miss medicine and was thinking of getting a diploma in Tropical Medicine. This leads me to think I wouldn't mind having certification in Family Medicine as well as Psychiatry. How does one get into a Family Medicine Residency at this stage of the game, and would I be able to get credit for my internship year? This is all bit overwhelming to contemplate at the moment. Thanks in advance for any help and or advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Met someone along the way that was a PGY4 in psych applying for FM. Their best bet was with their home program (I'm not sure in the end if that's what they went with). They spent a lot of their elective time on IM and outpatient medicine (I think also OB and Peds), to re-introduce themselves to the medicine they hadn't seen in 3 yrs.

They said that it really varied program to program how much credit they were given, but it tended to be between 6 mos and 1 yr. I think they said that their home program offered them a full year. Its something you'd have to ask programs along the way. You'll have to apply, and I imagine you'll have to have some strong reason you're going for FM training (not just that you miss medicine, but some sort of plan of how you'll utilize both sets of training uniquely).

Alternatively, I believe there's also PC psych fellowships which will train you better at handling the medically complicated psychiatric patients as well as in other roles like CL, etc. If you're really interested, I'd check out the Association for Medicine and Psychiatry. They have some info on their website about combined programs and about fellowships in each field to better prepare you for the other. Below is a link, but I think there are even more:

The Association of Medicine and Psychiatry » Fellowships Unfortunately not the most up-to-date as most links point to nowhere, but maybe it's a start.

UWash: Psychiatry in Primary Care Fellowship

NeoMed: https://www.psychiatry.org/File Library/Psychiatrists/Meetings/IPS-TheMentalHealthServicesConference/2016/virtual-registration-bag/NEO-Medical-University.pdf

CWRU: Public and Community Psychiatry Fellowship

Psychosomatic/CL Fellowships: U.S. C-L Fellowship Training Programs

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Met someone along the way that was a PGY4 in psych applying for FM. Their best bet was with their home program (I'm not sure in the end if that's what they went with). They spent a lot of their elective time on IM and outpatient medicine (I think also OB and Peds), to re-introduce themselves to the medicine they hadn't seen in 3 yrs.

They said that it really varied program to program how much credit they were given, but it tended to be between 6 mos and 1 yr. I think they said that their home program offered them a full year. Its something you'd have to ask programs along the way. You'll have to apply, and I imagine you'll have to have some strong reason you're going for FM training (not just that you miss medicine, but some sort of plan of how you'll utilize both sets of training uniquely).

Alternatively, I believe there's also PC psych fellowships which will train you better at handling the medically complicated psychiatric patients as well as in other roles like CL, etc. If you're really interested, I'd check out the Association for Medicine and Psychiatry. They have some info on their website about combined programs and about fellowships in each field to better prepare you for the other. Below is a link, but I think there are even more:

The Association of Medicine and Psychiatry » Fellowships Unfortunately not the most up-to-date as most links point to nowhere, but maybe it's a start.

UWash: Psychiatry in Primary Care Fellowship

NeoMed: https://www.psychiatry.org/File Library/Psychiatrists/Meetings/IPS-TheMentalHealthServicesConference/2016/virtual-registration-bag/NEO-Medical-University.pdf

CWRU: Public and Community Psychiatry Fellowship

Psychosomatic/CL Fellowships: U.S. C-L Fellowship Training Programs

Thank you very much for the reply, sir!!