Flouro procedures after primary care sports med fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EM2Sportsmed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Most of the primary care sports med programs I've looked into don't have any fluoroscopic training. Several of the PMR programs do but it seems the family medicine based ones have little to none. If I graduated from a program that had none of this in their curriculum but then received on site training from a sports/pain clinic, would this pose a problem for insurers or even hospital privileges?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I can't answer your question in regards to post fellowship training, but I was in a program that did not have floro in the curriculum but got around it. I basically made best of friends with everyone in rads--Msk and IR. The IR guys would text me when they had a procedure. I would assist at first which progressed to actually doing the procedure. I documented all of this. At my current position the hospital doesn't mind or care if I want to do floro (I must admit it is rare though as I can inject most cases with US, and I do not treat chronic pain).
I would try my best to get some exposure even if limited in your training, but again I can not speak to post fellowship training. Good luck!

a couple of flouro cases here and here with IR is not going to cut it if you are interested in doing spinal procedures.

time to decide: do you want to be a sports doc, or do you want to be a spine/pain doc? there is some cross-over, but they are different animals.

Members don't see this ad :)
a couple of flouro cases here and here with IR is not going to cut it if you are interested in doing spinal procedures.

time to decide: do you want to be a sports doc, or do you want to be a spine/pain doc? there is some cross-over, but they are different animals.

I would be happier as a spine/pain doc. Even though both fellowships are now open to EM physicians, the likelihood of me getting into a sports med fellowship is drastically higher. I applied for pain fellowships at one point and didn't get a single interview. For better or worse, many of the positions are protected by certain specialties.

I would be happier as a spine/pain doc. Even though both fellowships are now open to EM physicians, the likelihood of me getting into a sports med fellowship is drastically higher. I applied for pain fellowships at one point and didn't get a single interview. For better or worse, many of the positions are protected by certain specialties.

Look into JPS in Texas. This is the only program I happened to know that gives you substantial amount of fluoro procedures that take FP candidates.

Look into JPS in Texas. This is the only program I happened to know that gives you substantial amount of fluoro procedures that take FP candidates.

Look at University of Utah