Florida osteopathic licensure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CrepesofWrath

They're delicious.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Been a while since I've been to SDN, but here goes. I'm a DO resident in an ACGME program, and I've found my dream job in Florida. I'm going through the resolution 42 process now to get recognition of my intern year by the AOA as a prelim step to licensure. However, it seems that the Florida Osteopathic board requires something of a litmus test, in addition to the osteopathic intern year. If I'm reading this right, I'll have to explain why I picked ACGME over AOA, and they have grounds to deny my license if they don't like my reasoning. Does anyone have any comments or suggestions?

I've been losing sleep over this. I understand that licensing boards can use whatever criteria they want to make sure that physicians are qualified to practice safe medicine, but this seems wholly political to me.

The relevant Florida code governing this issue is as follows:

64B15-16.002 Procedure.
(1) Any applicant who has failed to complete an AOA (American Osteopathic Association)-approved internship must apply to the AOA for approval of the PGY (post-graduate year)-1 year of the ACGME (Accreditation Council on Graduate Medical Education) residency for educational equivalence. Upon acceptance of the PGY-1 year for educational equivalence of the ACGME residency by the AOA, the Board of Osteopathic Medicine will approve for licensure applicants who are otherwise qualified for licensure, and who demonstrate good cause as delineated below for having taken the ACGME residency in lieu of an AOA internship.
(2) When the AOA denies educational equivalency, the Board of Osteopathic Medicine will not review the equivalency of the PGY-1 year.
(3) When the AOA approves the ACGME residency’s PGY-1 year for educational equivalency and denies the demonstration of good cause for having taken the ACGME residency, the Board of Osteopathic Medicine shall review the applicant’s demonstration of good cause. Good cause for having taken a non-AOA approved rotating internship shall be:
(a) Personal limitation created by a documented physical or medical disability.
(b) Unique documented opportunity otherwise unavailable that meets a practice area of critical need.
(c) Documented legal restriction which requires physical presence in a particular state or local area.
(d) Documented unusual or exceptional family circumstances which limit training opportunities.
(e) Previous program met all AOA requirements but, due to documented circumstances beyond the control of the applicant, was discontinued.
(f) Documented inability to relocate to another geographic area without undue hardship.
(g) Documented inability to obtain an AOA rotating internship.

(4) Any applicant who completes an ACGME-approved residency shall be deemed to have met the educational equivalence of an AOA rotating internship. It shall remain the responsibility of the applicant to demonstrate good cause, as defined above, for having not taken an AOA-approved internship.

Members don't see this ad.

Wow. I didn't know the wording was like that. It's my understanding there's basically a 100% approval for what you are trying to do. I wouldn't worry.

When given absolute power in wording as is the case here organisations are going to word things in their favour. If they in practice denied the people doing acgme they would get sued. A lot. And half of DOs wouldn't be liscensed. They don't want that. You'll be fine.

Been a while since I've been to SDN, but here goes. I'm a DO resident in an ACGME program, and I've found my dream job in Florida. I'm going through the resolution 42 process now to get recognition of my intern year by the AOA as a prelim step to licensure. However, it seems that the Florida Osteopathic board requires something of a litmus test, in addition to the osteopathic intern year. If I'm reading this right, I'll have to explain why I picked ACGME over AOA, and they have grounds to deny my license if they don't like my reasoning. Does anyone have any comments or suggestions?

I've been losing sleep over this. I understand that licensing boards can use whatever criteria they want to make sure that physicians are qualified to practice safe medicine, but this seems wholly political to me.

The relevant Florida code governing this issue is as follows:

64B15-16.002 Procedure.
(1) Any applicant who has failed to complete an AOA (American Osteopathic Association)-approved internship must apply to the AOA for approval of the PGY (post-graduate year)-1 year of the ACGME (Accreditation Council on Graduate Medical Education) residency for educational equivalence. Upon acceptance of the PGY-1 year for educational equivalence of the ACGME residency by the AOA, the Board of Osteopathic Medicine will approve for licensure applicants who are otherwise qualified for licensure, and who demonstrate good cause as delineated below for having taken the ACGME residency in lieu of an AOA internship.
(2) When the AOA denies educational equivalency, the Board of Osteopathic Medicine will not review the equivalency of the PGY-1 year.
(3) When the AOA approves the ACGME residency’s PGY-1 year for educational equivalency and denies the demonstration of good cause for having taken the ACGME residency, the Board of Osteopathic Medicine shall review the applicant’s demonstration of good cause. Good cause for having taken a non-AOA approved rotating internship shall be:
(a) Personal limitation created by a documented physical or medical disability.
(b) Unique documented opportunity otherwise unavailable that meets a practice area of critical need.
(c) Documented legal restriction which requires physical presence in a particular state or local area.
(d) Documented unusual or exceptional family circumstances which limit training opportunities.
(e) Previous program met all AOA requirements but, due to documented circumstances beyond the control of the applicant, was discontinued.
(f) Documented inability to relocate to another geographic area without undue hardship.
(g) Documented inability to obtain an AOA rotating internship.

(4) Any applicant who completes an ACGME-approved residency shall be deemed to have met the educational equivalence of an AOA rotating internship. It shall remain the responsibility of the applicant to demonstrate good cause, as defined above, for having not taken an AOA-approved internship.

Did you end up getting your year approved?

Reactions: 1 user
Would like to know how this is progressing as well. With the merger, AOA programs won't exist in a few years and programs with osteopathic focus are certainly few and far between, so I don't really see how they (and other states) could maintain this kind of requirement. I'm going to look into Res42 details for myself, but we'll just have to wait and see in the future.

Would like to know how this is progressing as well. With the merger, AOA programs won't exist in a few years and programs with osteopathic focus are certainly few and far between, so I don't really see how they (and other states) could maintain this kind of requirement. I'm going to look into Res42 details for myself, but we'll just have to wait and see in the future.
Did you get any more information on this?

Might want to avoid Florida Entirely. Look at this mess

Reactions: 1 user