Florida DPT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MagDPT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone post their stats who have been accepted into PT schools in Florida?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users

Only been accepted to FIU thus far, early interview. Also interviewed at UCF.

Undergrad: UCF
Major: Health Sciences and Psychology
Prereq GPA: 3.6
Cum GPA: 3.4
Upper Division/Last 60: 3.9
GRE: 159Q, 164V, 5.5AW
Observation: 250+ in outpatient, pediatric, acute.

Only been accepted to FIU thus far, early interview. Also interviewed at UCF.

Undergrad: UCF
Major: Health Sciences and Psychology
Prereq GPA: 3.6
Cum GPA: 3.4
Upper Division/Last 60: 3.9
GRE: 159Q, 164V, 5.5AW
Observation: 250+ in outpatient, pediatric, acute.
That's about what I have, I haven't taken the GRE yet, but I'm trying to get an idea of what stats can get you into certain schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else applying to Florida DPT schools?

I just received my acceptance letter to USF!

Stats:
University of Massachusetts-Lowell
Major: Exercise Physiology
Minor: Psychology
Cumulative GPA: 3.72
Pre-req GPA: 3.61
GRE: not required

Hours:
Outpatient: 800+ (PT Aide)
Inpatient: 20 (Mass General and Life Care Center)

University: University of Florida
Major: Psychology
Overall GPA: 3.41
Pre-Req GPA: 3.42
GRE: 156 V 161 Q 4.0 AW

Observation: 180 outpatient, 60 inpatient

Have been accepted into FIU thus far as well.

University: Nova Southeastern University
Major: Psychology and Behavioral Neuroscience
GPA: 3.98
GRE: 156 V 156 Q 5.0AW
Observation: 150 inpatient, 150 outpatient
ECs: athletics, lots of research, publications, thesis

Florida Accepts: UM, Nova, FIU

Where else have you guys applied to?

Anyone have any opinions on which Florida DPT schools are best?

I was accepted to the University of South Florida and will be attending this fall!
Stats:
GPA. 3.7
Hours: 1200 plus hours as a PT Aide
Major: Exercise Science
Extra: 300 plus hours in community service, soccer ref, co-authored a research study during undergrad, and 80 hours in hospital volunteering (ER and MSICU)

If anyone else will be attending USF please contact me!

I was accepted to the University of South Florida and will be attending this fall!
Stats:
GPA. 3.7
Extra: 300 plus hours in community service, soccer ref, co-authored a research study during undergrad, and 80 hours in hospital volunteering (ER and MSICU)

Congrats! Where else did you apply and get into?

I got into South Florida, The University of Alabama at Birmingham, and Brenau University.

I have been accepted at UNF, FGCU, and USF. UF is my number 1 choice but have still not heard from them and assume that I will not be accepted. I am wondering if anybody has any opinions on any of the schools. I liked all three schools and have no idea how I am going to decide. Any insight would be appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been accepted at UNF, FGCU, and USF. UF is my number 1 choice but have still not heard from them and assume that I will not be accepted. I am wondering if anybody has any opinions on any of the schools. I liked all three schools and have no idea how I am going to decide. Any insight would be appreciated!!
That's awesome! What were your stats?

I don't think it would hurt to call UF and ask, just explain your situation. I haven't heard from UF either, if it helps.

I've been accepted so far to FIU, FGCU, and UNF. I am going to be withdrawing my acceptances today from FIU and FGCU though. Loved all the programs! Just certain things and school stats, helped me make my decision to this point, so far. I am happy I can withdraw my acceptances so another student can have the great opportunity to go to one of these schools! I am also still waiting to hear from UF, but not too interested in attending actually. I'm first tier waitlist for UCF, and my top choices are between UCF and UNF:) hope this can help anyone!

I also was accepted into FGCU and UNF, but unfortunately have no insight on USF:/ I found out early on that I was missing some sort of requirement, but it was ok because I was just applying to a small handful of schools:) in regards to the two though, UNF has a 100% 1st time pass rate on licensure exam while FGCU is about 90%. That's a big deal and something to focus on I believe. Both facilities were amazing though! The only thing that worried me about FGCU was the whole hybrid active learning thing haha still kind of confused on it.. But it does show to be successful!

I also was accepted into FGCU and UNF, but unfortunately have no insight on USF:/ I found out early on that I was missing some sort of requirement, but it was ok because I was just applying to a small handful of schools:) in regards to the two though, UNF has a 100% 1st time pass rate on licensure exam while FGCU is about 90%. That's a big deal and something to focus on I believe. Both facilities were amazing though! The only thing that worried me about FGCU was the whole hybrid active learning thing haha still kind of confused on it.. But it does show to be successful!
Wow that's great! I'm basically applying to the same schools. What were your stats like?

USF: Great med integrated program

UNF: I had a friend attend there and he loved it.

FGCU: There isn't much in Fort Meyers.

FSU undergrad: 3.72 GPA 152 in both GRE and 5W
~200 hours
tons of extra curricula

- Florida International University: received an interview, but declined
- University of Central Florida: received an interview, but declined
- University of Florida: accepted
- University of South Florida: denied BOOO
- University of Miami: received an interview, but declined
- Nova Southeastern University - Fort Lauderdale: accepted
- Boston University: denied BOOO
- Temple Universit: this school is MIA
- Emory University - interview & accepted!

FIU Undergrad
Cum GPA: 3.3
Pre Req: 3.70
GRE: V:158 Q: 159

FIU: Interview, Still Waiting
UCF: Interview, Accepted
UNF: Interview (declined)
UF: Still Waiting
UM: Interview, Still Waiting
Nova: Accepted

Sup with UF they're taking forever lol

FIU Undergrad

You really did well on the GRE! Did you study a lot?

FIU Undergrad

Also, what about observation hours?

I studied the Quantitate section for a couple weeks because it was mostly high school math I hadn't seen in a while, but Verbal is just pretty much a test of how fast you can read.
And just look at my past messages for the rest of my application, you'll find it all in my old posts.

3.7 cGPA
3.7 pGPA
V157 Q159 W4
Major: Biology
~500 hours across settings

- UCF: interview, accepted
- UF: accepted
- UNF: interview, declined
- FIU: interview, declined

University: University of South Florida
Major: Anthropology, Minors: Sociology and Dance
Undergrad GPA: 3.37
Overall GPA: 3.41
Post-Bac GPA: 3.53
GRE: 157 V/150 Q/4.0 W

Extra-Curriculars/Volunteering: local Adaptive Sports & Rec program, non-traditional student working ~30 hours per week while completing pre-reqs, studied abroad in senior year in Australia
Observation: ~90 hours at 3 outpatient ortho facilities, one nursing home, and one inpatient neuro facility
Applied: UNF, UF, FGCU, FIU, UNE
Interviews: FIU (1/30), FGCU (1/30), UNF (2/13), UNE (3/4- declined)
Acceptance: FGCU (2/12- accepted)
Waitlist: UNF
Rejections: none

I'm still hoping for an acceptance from UNF, but I'm happy with FGCU. They have a beautiful campus and honestly have nicer facilities than UNF. FGCU actually has a 100% graduation rate in 2014 (and above 95% in 2013 and 2012) and has had a 100% licensure exam pass rate from 2012-2014, it says so right on their website. The way I figure is that ultimately, no matter where you go, you will get basically the same education. All accredited programs are accredited by the same body and they have to teach the same core material. We all get the same degree! Anyway, it would be nice to hear something back from UF also. There are so many great schools in Florida!

Undergrad: University of Florida (graduating April 2016)
Major: Applied Physiology and Kinesiology
Overall Undergrad GPA: 3.51
Upper Level (what UF focuses on): 3.8
Science GPA: 3.6
GRE: 149Q/151V 4.5AW

Extracurriculars: Research on gait analysis in VA Hospital for 1 year, research at NeuroRehab Lab, Counselor at Gymnastics Summer Camp for 2 years, Volunteer at hospital for 2 years (non PT related) with pediatrics, volunteer in elementary schools as well on campus for 3 years.

PT Observation: 180+ hours in Neuro setting, Sports + Pediatrics, Cranial Facial, and Burn Intensive Care Unit: Wound Care (3 different settings). 520+ hours as an intern at a Neuro PT clinic.

Applied: UF, UNF, UCF, USF, FGCU, NOVA
Interview: FGCU (1/30)
Acceptances: UF (attending)
Waitlisted: NOVA, USF

I received my acceptance for UF on 2/1 and I'm ecstatic about staying in Gainesville for 3 more years! I'm aware that my GRE scores are not competitive at all, but I knew that since I suck at standardized tests, making it up with my Extracurriculars/volunteer hours would be extremely important. If anyone has any questions, feel free to message me or simply reply! :)

Extracurriculars: Research on gait analysis in VA Hospital for 1 year, research at NeuroRehab Lab, Counselor at Gymnastics Summer Camp for 2 years, Volunteer at hospital for 2 years (non PT related) with pediatrics, volunteer in elementary schools as well on campus for 3 years.

PT Observation: 180+ hours in Neuro setting, Sports + Pediatrics, Cranial Facial, and Burn Intensive Care Unit: Wound Care (3 different settings). 520+ hours as an intern at a Neuro PT clinic.

I received my acceptance for UF on 2/1 and I'm ecstatic about staying in Gainesville for 3 more years! I'm aware that my GRE scores are not competitive at all, but I knew that since I suck at standardized tests, making it up with my Extracurriculars/volunteer hours would be extremely important. If anyone has any questions, feel free to message me or simply reply! :)
Where is your top choice?

Does anyone have any insight on what different schools in Florida look at more heavily? (I.e. GPA, GRE scores, observation, etc.)

Does anyone have any insight on what different schools in Florida look at more heavily? (I.e. GPA, GRE scores, observation, etc.)
Honestly, just do your best in all categories. Do well in your pGPA, study for the GRE, and observe PT in multiple settings.

Anyone have any pros/cons for specific Florida DPT programs?

I would take that question over to the Physical Therapy board because we here in Pre-Physical therapy haven't attended school yet. Whatever pros and cons we have conceived in making a decision are purely subjective. You'd want to pull objective information from students attending the actual programs.

Major: Community Health science
Minor: Spanish and Psychology
GPA: 3.3
Pre-req: 3.75
GRE: 150Q 154V 4.5A
Acceptances: Touro, Nova, Sacramento, AT Still

Anyone else applying to Florida DPT schools?
I have had an interview with FIU on the 30th of January. Do you have an idea of how many spots are full or are they accepting students?

I have had an interview with FIU on the 30th of January. Do you have an idea of how many spots are full or are they accepting students?
I have no idea. I'm applying this summer, so I'm trying to see what people's stats were like that applied last year.

Attention everyone waiting to hear back from UF:
I emailed them regarding the status of my application and they said they will send out all decisions by the end of March, hopefully sooner.

Attention everyone waiting to hear back from FIU:
I emailed them regarding the status of my application and they said that Dr. Rossi will notify all applicants (that have been interviewed) of their status this Friday. If you don’t received any email this Friday, she said to email him directly.

Fingers crossed!!

Reactions: 1 users
Attention everyone waiting to hear back from UF:
I emailed them regarding the status of my application and they said they will send out all decisions by the end of March, hopefully sooner.

Attention everyone waiting to hear back from FIU:
I emailed them regarding the status of my application and they said that Dr. Rossi will notify all applicants (that have been interviewed) of their status this Friday. If you don’t received any email this Friday, she said to email him directly.

Fingers crossed!!

Last edited:
I graduated from UNF in 2015. I believe this is how they rank candidates: pre-req GPA>GRE V>GRE Q>Science GPA>interview. Other things like observation hrs, and LOR's barely affect your chances as long as you have them.

I can only speak for UNF. I thought it was an AMAZING school. A few things I loved: the small class size, location --near the beach :), the staff, the clinical affiliations (tons of contracts with the the nations best facilities), the NPTE 100% 1st time pass rate (I felt very prepared and got a perfect score of 800), one of the cheapest tuitions in the state, and that it was very clinically based vs. research based (I personally didn't like writing 30 pg research papers--thankfully only had one or two). We had a TON of projects and presentation but they were always in groups. When you get 30 people who were all top of their class in undergrad, group projects are MUCH easier! And you also never have to give solo presentations which was nice :) I can't think of anything that I wish was different. The teachers were tough but did absolutely everything possible to help us. Even coming in on the weekends to help us study.

I check in on this board every few months to see if anyone was questions about UNF. So feel free to message me!

Stats:
GPA. 3.7

As of now I am also attending USF!

University: Stetson University
Major: Integrative Health Science
Minor: Public Health Studies
Last 60 Credit Hours GPA: ~3.85
Prerequisite GPA: ~3.5
Cumulative GPA: ~3.6
GRE: 155V 159Q 4.0AW
Observation Hours: ~100 in various settings

Applying to UCF, USF, UF, UNF, FGCU, & University of St. Augustine

Any tips or advice for these schools or my stats?

If your science GPA your prereq GPA?

Did any other schools deny you because of your GRE scores?

Has anyone heard anything back from any Florida schools yet this cycle about interviews? Especially wondering when UCF will send out their first round interview invites.

Has anyone heard anything back from any Florida schools yet this cycle about interviews? Especially wondering when UCF will send out their first round interview invites.
I haven't heard anything. I've been wondering the same because their first interview is in like 6 weeks!

What are your stats?
University: Stetson University
Major: Integrative Health Science
Minor: Public Health Studies
Last 60 Credit Hours GPA: ~3.85
Prerequisite GPA: 3.55
Cumulative GPA: 3.62
GRE: 155V 159Q 4.0AW
Observation Hours: ~100 in various settings