Flea

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ad2b

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Went to work a few months back in a fairly moderately sized multi-specialty clinic system doing whatever it is that I do.

First day, was taken to my office next door to the corner office. After the HR person left, I looked at the business card inserted in the name plate: "DR. @#$@#$@#$, CEO" :eek:

Now, many of you don't know me much, some of you on here know me a little but my son knows me the best. Told him. His response, "Well, that's either going to work out really really really well for you, Orrrrrr, we'll be looking for a new place to live soon." :laugh: (Love his humor!)

About 2 weeks into the gig, the exec admin who knew that I was studying (again) for the MCAT asked me if I wanted her to flip through the AAMC flashcards for me; quiz me, test me, etc (the entire system went down for all clinics and all specialties meaning no docs could see patients - that EMR thingy sort of issue, as it is).

Dr. CEO walks by and with a wry smile, "What in the hell are you working on."

Now normally, I don't care if clients know what I'm doing or not but this situation is different. It's not God worship or ... it's the utter knowledge that these gents and ladies have already walked my path and quite likely, know people who know people or something of that nature.

What if they hate me and go to the local school exclaiming, "Oh hell no, don't you admit her!!!"

Over the course of the next couple of weeks and months, that Dr. CEO and I have forged a funny relationship. He listens to me when I suggest things, pointedly questions me on things he disagrees with, morphs into polysyllabic medical mumbo jumbo in front of people then winks at me and asks, "What do you think?" to which I gulp and give my best premed guess. He gives me JAMA, JCOM, etc magazines, I take the CME quizzes at the end and he grades me; then asks me what I missed.

I don't really wonder what he thinks of me now. He's 100% behind me - tells me not to worry about my age, my timing, or much else.

Even better?

Last night he laughed and said, "You're gonna be a perfect FLEA!!!" :bow:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Better than a "pooper scooper" or "Scalpel junkie" ...;) (not that I disparage those specialties, mind you but, he thinks I'll be a perfect FLEA! haha)

Members don't see this ad.

There's a riddle in here somewhere.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Flea isn't a compliment. And this is just a weird story.
He meant it as a compliment. I jump all over everything and learn all I can (JCOM, JAMA, etc.) even doing the CME questions at the end of the magazine. I expected/hoped, this might be a funny thread with other chiming in with other funny nicknames docs use for specialties. W/e :)

Reactions: 2 users
He meant it as a compliment. I jump all over everything and learn all I can (JCOM, JAMA, etc.) even doing the CME questions at the end of the magazine. I expected/hoped, this might be a funny thread with other chiming in with other funny nicknames docs use for specialties. W/e :)

Glad you developed a good relationship with someone who can help you. :)

I'll take your word for it, since you'd know better than I. I've only ever heard it used negatively.
Things that may have started as an epithet can be embraced and even celebrated when used in good humor.

Reactions: 2 users
Things that may have started as an epithet can be embraced and even celebrated when used in good humor.

As I said, I believe you. I just never heard it used in a non-derogatory way, so I assumed it was an insult. I'm always happy to expand my knowledge though.

Tonight leaving work from that corner office: "Night Flea, study hard!" :D

Seriously, I wonder if he knows how I just smile inside - he believes in me. It's the little things in life on this path peeps.

Tonight leaving work from that corner office: "Night Flea, study hard!" :D

Seriously, I wonder if he knows how I just smile inside - he believes in me. It's the little things in life on this path peeps.
Nice job flea