First year DPT student... Ask away!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jtb93

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all.

I'm 3 weeks into DPT school, and I'm open to take any questions you may have regarding the program, application, etc. I know there are many other topics like this, but I see these threads as beneficial for any potential DPT student. The rigor of the application and program itself are daunting, so don't shy away from using these threads!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Awesome! :) How are you adjusting to the coursework and workload of the program so far?

Hey I want to thank you for taking the time out to do this. Right now I'm currently working on supplemental essays. How important were these when you applied. Were they brought up during interview. Do you believe they played a part in your acceptance?

Members don't see this ad :)
littledragon- PT school is definitely a different ballgame than undergrad! Think my biggest realization coming in was that my undergrad study habits would not be conducive with success in grad school. The courseload is definitely intense right off the bat. The material isn't all that challenging so far, it's the wealth of information that you need to memorize in a short period of time that is overwhelming. Some of Anatomy is a review, but many new concepts are introduced that are typically grazed over in undergrad (e.g. in-depth vasculature and innervations). Having a small class size, I find it beneficial to get as much alone time as possible with the professor so we can directly address my weaknesses.

In short, I think I'm starting to adjust to what is being asked of me. I was initially shocked at how fast new material was getting thrown at me, but it already seems commonplace.

Dj2PT- Hey, no problem! I applied to 8 schools, but was only offered an interview by 1. Think that program required 3 supplemental essays, none of which were mentioned in the interview. The interview was pretty laid back with a typical questionset (e.g. Why PT?).

Overall, I think the supplemental essays can benefit an application, but the main essay should be prioritized when applying. I received feedback from the schools I got declined to, most saying that my main essay was a strong point of my application. I received no comments about the supplementals, but that isn't to say they're not important.

Some schools have criteria for acceptance on their admissions page. A few of the schools I applied to had detailed lists of how they "graded" each application, and that was helpful during my application process.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Hey, no problem! I applied to 8 schools, but was only offered an interview by 1. Think that program required 3 supplemental essays, none of which were mentioned in the interview. The interview was pretty laid back with a typical questionset (e.g. Why PT?).

Overall, I think the supplemental essays can benefit an application, but the main essay should be prioritized when applying. I received feedback from the schools I got declined to, most saying that my main essay was a strong point of my application. I received no comments about the supplementals, but that isn't to say they're not important.

Some schools have criteria for acceptance on their admissions page. A few of the schools I applied to had detailed lists of how they "graded" each application, and that was helpful during my application process.
Do you go to school out of state? If so do you live in dorm or dud you find your own apartment to live in. Did you get the loan in time for living expenses or was that out if pocket.?

Yeah, I go to school about 8 hours away from my hometown. I found out about my acceptance a month before the program started, so it was a rush to get everything in place. School worked with me by extending financial aid and immunization verification deadlines, so that was definitely helpful. I ended up taking out a grad plus loan so all of my expenses (including rent) would be covered.

If you have the opportunity, I recommend getting a roommate or 2 to lessen your expenses.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey, thanks for doing this!

Did you have to include a resume with your application? If so, what sorts of things did you highlight?

Based on what you've seen, do you think a person like myself who has slightly above the minimum # of observation hours in 4 settings versus someone who has hundreds of hours in 1 setting would still be as competitive?

Did you have to include a resume with your application? If so, what sorts of things did you highlight?

Based on what you've seen, do you think a person like myself who has slightly above the minimum # of observation hours in 4 settings versus someone who has hundreds of hours in 1 setting would still be as competitive?
Yes, someone with less hours in 4 settings is more appealing than someone with more hours in 1 setting. It depends on the school as to whether or not you need to include your resume with the application. I applied to 5 schools and only had to include it for 1 of them. I included my observation hours with descriptions of what took place at each location and special things I got to do, such as practice manual techniques on a current DPT student who was doing a clinical rotation.

Reactions: 1 user

No problem!

None of my schools required resumes, so I can't give you any advice on that.

Most of my classmates had observation hours in 3-4 settings. I had 4 settings; SNF (300+ hours as rehab aide), acute care (20 hours), OP pediatrics (40 hours), and OP ortho (40 hours). I think schools definitely prefer a variety of settings over many hours in a single population. Concerning letters of recommendation from a PT you observed, I was told the most "valuable" letters come from those who you spent 30-40+ hours with. While 20 hours is the bare minimum most schools require, more hours allow you to establish a better relationship with your PT and they'll be able to put greater insight into your letter. These are just my thoughts on the matter, but it's the though process I used when asking for letters.

Not sure what settings you have observed, but I'd make sure to get some hours in an acute care setting. A few of the schools I applied to required 20+ hours in acute care and gave us free reign to pick other observation settings.

Can I ask what your stats were and what schools you were accepted to? Submitted my app last night and having some serious anxiety

Can I ask what your stats were and what schools you were accepted to? Submitted my app last night and having some serious anxiety
Major: Exercise Science
Cum GPA: 3.31
Prereq GPA: 3.4-3.5
GRE: V148 Q152 W 3.5
Hours: 318 (SNF), 22 (Acute), 40 (OP ortho), 22 (OP pediatrics)
Recs: 2 PTs, 2 professors

The only school I got an interview from was Briar Cliff U. I was initially placed on the watilist, but was accepted a month before the program started. If you're nervous about your stats, I suggest applying to schools outside your comfort area. I never planned on moving this far for school, but I couldn't deny the opportunity once I got accepted.

Reactions: 2 users
What is one thing you wish you would have done before your first semester of pt school?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmm, good question. I know it sounds cliche, but I would've studied Anatomy for the couple months prior to beginning the program. Information gets thrown at you so fast, and you have to find a way to stay afloat. At the minimum, I recommend focusing on muscle characteristics (i.e. origin, insertion, action, innervation, blood supply) so you have more time to focus on other material. This would also give you an advantage in lab as well as lecture.

The first couple semesters of my program have a strong emphasis on the foundational sciences which are typically covered in undergrad. Undergrad notes may not be as advanced as what will be covered in PT school, but a re-established foundation for the material wouldn't hurt.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Major: Exercise Science
Cum GPA: 3.31
Prereq GPA: 3.4-3.5
GRE: V148 Q152 W 3.5
Hours: 318 (SNF), 22 (Acute), 40 (OP ortho), 22 (OP pediatrics)
Recs: 2 PTs, 2 professors

The only school I got an interview from was Briar Cliff U. I was initially placed on the watilist, but was accepted a month before the program started. If you're nervous about your stats, I suggest applying to schools outside your comfort area. I never planned on moving this far for school, but I couldn't deny the opportunity once I got accepted.

Thanks a bunch for starting this thread, especially since we have VERY similar stats I do have a few questions. Our GRE scores are not too great, did you apply to any schools that had a minimum GRE score requirement or stressed high GRE scores? And you mentioned to apply to schools outside of comfort area, are you referring to physical area where someone lives of comfort area as far as required materials for the school? Because there are a lot of schools that I'm thinking of not even applying to just because of their suggested GPAs and such for their incoming class...

In selecting schools, I did not pay much attention to the average GRE scores of accepted applicants. I knew my score was below average, so I just made sure I met the minimum score before submitting my application. I paid more attention to GPAs during my selection. My GPAs weren't awful, but they fell way below the average for some programs. This helped me sort through schools and help pick alternatives. Concerning my comment about picking schools out of your comfort area, I am referring to geographical location. I wanted to stay in WI, but all of those programs had high acceptance statistics. I didn't want to apply 8 hours away from home, but I did anyway knowing that PT was/is my calling.

Concerning a previous comment, don't not apply to a program just because your GPA (or other statistic) is below average! Admissions committees look at applications as a whole, so don't let a part of your application refrain you from applying. If you have interviews, make sure to prepare beforehand. We were talking about the admissions process at the beginning of my program, and the admissions chair said all applicants are viewed equally coming into the interview. Once the application selection process is complete and you are selected for an interview, things like GPAs and GRE scores mean little in the final selection process. Of course, take this only as my experience and don't equate it to how every school handles admissions. Research the schools you plan on applying to and contact the program via email or phone. They will be able to better gauge how they handle the admissions process.

Thanks for making this thread! What was your interview process like for your school?? I have an interview in 2 weeks and I have heard that they focus on giving you scenarios instead of typical interview questions. Did your school do anything like that??

Hmmm, good question. I know it sounds cliche, but I would've studied Anatomy for the couple months prior to beginning the program. Information gets thrown at you so fast, and you have to find a way to stay afloat. At the minimum, I recommend focusing on muscle characteristics (i.e. origin, insertion, action, innervation, blood supply) so you have more time to focus on other material. This would also give you an advantage in lab as well as lecture.

The first couple semesters of my program have a strong emphasis on the foundational sciences which are typically covered in undergrad. Undergrad notes may not be as advanced as what will be covered in PT school, but a re-established foundation for the material wouldn't hurt.

How would you recommend pre-studying the anatomy? Simply memorizing the origin, insertion, etc. of as many muscles as possible?

How would you recommend pre-studying the anatomy? Simply memorizing the origin, insertion, etc. of as many muscles as possible?

Hey hawkesome,
Im also a PT student right now and I would say that my anatomy was majority just memorizing OIANs for every muscle. There was also some physiology in my course. I wish I spent more time reviewing anatomy beforehand so that it would make more sense when it was all strung together in the class. If anything, I would recommend reading through all your old Anatomy notes just so that its familiar in your mind entering the program!

Thanks so much for doing this! I have a question regarding ptcas and the transcript review process. PTCAS received my transcripts 4 weeks ago, but they only started reviewing them when I submitted my application on 9/24. My first deadline is 10/2. The school already has my references and GRE scores, and on the website it says 10/2 is the date that the ptcas application is due. Does this mean its okay if ptcas is still reviewing my transcripts?

Thanks so much for doing this! I have a question regarding ptcas and the transcript review process. PTCAS received my transcripts 4 weeks ago, but they only started reviewing them when I submitted my application on 9/24. My first deadline is 10/2. The school already has my references and GRE scores, and on the website it says 10/2 is the date that the ptcas application is due. Does this mean its okay if ptcas is still reviewing my transcripts?

From my experience, the schools are notified of the date that you submitted your application, and since you submitted before your deadline, and the school already has your other materials, you should be okay. They just wont make a decision until your transcripts are reviewed. Hopefully it doesnt take them much longer, for your sake! In this case, it also wouldnt hurt to contact the school if you are looking for some peace of mind, too!

Thanks for making this thread! What was your interview process like for your school?? I have an interview in 2 weeks and I have heard that they focus on giving you scenarios instead of typical interview questions. Did your school do anything like that??

Speaking as a current SPT, I recommend not doing your OIAN beforehand. Just enjoy life. Once you are in school it is your whole life. 8 am to 11 pm.

Speaking as a current SPT, I recommend not doing your OIAN beforehand. Just enjoy life. Once you are in school it is your whole life. 8 am to 11 pm.
Definitely agree. Enjoy your free time while you have it.

Hello all.

I'm 3 weeks into DPT school, and I'm open to take any questions you may have regarding the program, application, etc. I know there are many other topics like this, but I see these threads as beneficial for any potential DPT student. The rigor of the application and program itself are daunting, so don't shy away from using these threads!

Good luck, jtb93!

What did you bring to the interview? What did you in preparation for the interview? Do you have any tips or resources that would help to prepare? Also, how did you decide on which PT schools you applied to? I know you said you are 8 hours from home.

Hello!

I actually have a question regarding interviews. I have been invited to interview at two schools that are my top priority however, of course they happen to fall on the same weekend. What kind of advice do you have for this? Obviously it would be devastating to have to pick one and I would love to make both work but also, I worry that it may reflect poorly on me if I were to tell either school that I am hoping to interview with another school too and would like to try to figure out an alternative or different day. What are your overall thoughts on this situation and what do you think is the best way to approach it??

Thank you sooo much!

Hmm, that is tough. I would suggest contacting the schools to ask if they have another weekend or option. Many of them understand. If not, you should be strategic about which one you want more. Sorry about that :(

As far as interviews go, I would say look at some typical interview questions and LOOSELY plan out answers. Make sure you have some experiences or stories to tell the schools about. An example would be volunteering and how it influenced who you are today. Another example would be prioritizing school and how you will manage that with self care. They also love to hear stories about experience in working with all types of people such as different political views or religions. Don't worry if you feel like you are being boastful or talking about yourself too much! IT IS THE PERFECT TIME TO DO THIS (finally, an appropriate time). Make sure to talk slowly and make it more of a conversation. Admissions committees love if you know about the school and how it would be both a good fit for you and them. If you want to go the extra mile, dive into their mission statement and pull that into one of you answers.

I hope this helps. They really do want to get to know you as a student.
If you have any other questions, post them :)

Forgot to mention in the last post that I just brought a small notepad with a pen for notes. I wore a pant suit.

I apologize for not staying active on this thread... The end of my first full semester was insane, so I forgot to keep checking this site. Looks like my fellow SPTs have my back though, so all is good!

What are some good conversion starters with professors and staff? I feel pretty confident with interview questions but I feel like I freeze when they ask do you have any questions or is there anything you want to know? What are some current issues in physical therapy?

Good question! At my interview, I asked how I could get more involved with the campus and community. My interviewer loved this since my school is a private institution with a heavy influence on community involvement. Keep in mind that schools are (usually) looking for more than just a student with a strong academic background. I unfortunately didn't participate in many extracurriculars in undergrad, but I believe they look pretty substantial on a grad school application.

Concerning current issues, a hot topic right now is the hard medicare therapy cap that was voted on at the beginning of the month. It wouldn't hurt to ask how this may affect your future as a PT. It may also be a good idea to look into APTA's Vision 2020 and mention it at your interview. A few of my professors bring up the PT interstate compact frequently, so that may also be a good talking point.

Last edited:
How is a day in lecture like? For example, do you ever notice some people playing on their computers or classmates fighting to be the first to answer questions so that they get the professor to remember them? Does it ever feel like you're trying to compete with other classmates to show your intelligence to the professor? I'm more the type to sit and absorb info as I listen, so I'm worried that I'll come off as being incompetent and "lost" by not participating every time a question is asked.

My class doesn't seem competitive whatsoever. Being with the same group of people for an extended period of time makes you feel like a community rather than a cohort of random students. I believe this makes it a more comfortable atmosphere. I don't get the vibe that professors see intelligence just because you answer a question during class. In fact, I think professors give a better response when you pose a question since that shows you are thinking outside the box and that you want to succeed.

There are definitely people in my class who fool around on the internet during lecture. I did that myself a few times last semester, but it should go without saying that paying attention in lecture is the better option. A significant change I can see from undergrad is that you really have to comprehend the material in grad school. This requires attention during class since just remembering a Powerpoint slide for exam day won't be beneficial for your future. In my opinion, class seems to go faster if I pay attention and become more immersed in the material.

What is the typical workload like? Obviously a lot of studying, but are you ever given many miscellaneous homework assignments that are worth a small fraction of your total grade like in undergraduate? Or is it primarily/solely major assessments such as exams, quizzes, practicals, research papers, etc? And what's the frequency of assignments or things that are worth a grade?

What is the typical workload like? Obviously a lot of studying, but are you ever given many miscellaneous homework assignments that are worth a small fraction of your total grade like in undergraduate? Or is it primarily/solely major assessments such as exams, quizzes, practicals, research papers, etc? And what's the frequency of assignments or things that are worth a grade?
typically not given "busy work" kind of beyond that at this juncture.
most of the grades that go into my classes are labs, exams/practicals, quizzes, and group projects.

Do you have any suggestions on scholarship opportunities outside of those offered by our selected school?