First week of med school reflection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SurgDoc95

Surgery Resident
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just about finished with the first week of med school and thought I'd share a little bit of the experience. As I'm sure the majority of current med students will attest to, from day one you get hit with a TON of material. For us, we were given 13 biochem lectures that essentially covered all of metabolism. Make no mistake that is a TON of material. For the first three days of this week I felt as if I was struggling to swim in the middle of the ocean. For me, I figured out late Wednesday/early Thursday you WILL NOT be able to learn everything. Focusing on the HY material and punting on the extraneous is a must. I'm still feeling a little pre test anxiety (we have an exam Monday) and I have some tweaking to do to my study routine, but the main message I wanted to share was while it seems overwhelming the first few days/weeks you will adjust and get used to the grind. To all my fellow OMS 1's keep grinding and we'll be fine! That's all I've got feel free to share your experiences as well!!

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 15 users
Feels like just yesterday we were all freaking out about AACOMAS and the application cycle lol just keep chugging from that fire house y'all

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 15 users
Just about finished with the first week of med school and thought I'd share a little bit of the experience. As I'm sure the majority of current med students will attest to, from day one you get hit with a TON of material. For us, we were given 13 biochem lectures that essentially covered all of metabolism. Make no mistake that is a TON of material. For the first three days of this week I felt as if I was struggling to swim in the middle of the ocean. For me, I figured out late Wednesday/early Thursday you WILL NOT be able to learn everything. Focusing on the HY material and punting on the extraneous is a must. I'm still feeling a little pre test anxiety (we have an exam Monday) and I have some tweaking to do to my study routine, but the main message I wanted to share was while it seems overwhelming the first few days/weeks you will adjust and get used to the grind. To all my fellow OMS 1's keep grinding and we'll be fine! That's all I've got feel free to share your experiences as well!!

Welcome to med school!

You definitely sound like one of mine.

Work on that test anxiety STAT!!!!!

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Funny, "punting on the extraneous is a must," wait until Monday when you find out the extraneous material was actually important and you failed because you skipped it. Not trying to increase your anxiety, but don't be skipping stuff with the thought "they won't ask that" because YES THEY WILL. I would be cautious on punting until you get a feel for what you are expected to know and that isn't the easiest thing to do, especially for PhD lectures where they don't always tend to focus on topics as they relate to medicine. Anyways, your test anxiety will gradually go down the more exams you take. Good luck

EDIT: I am writing from experience, this is something that your non clinician faculty has very limited insight in. I vividly remember thinking WTF, I can't believe they are asking this and there is no way I'll be able to make it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Unfortunately you're not at the point of knowing what the high material is yet, otherwise you wouldn't feel like you are struggling...

Just keep grinding you will be okay.

Reactions: 2 users
Funny, "punting on the extraneous is a must," wait until Monday when you find out the extraneous material was actually important and you failed because you skipped it. Not trying to increase your anxiety, but don't be skipping stuff with the thought "they won't ask that" because YES THEY WILL. I would be cautious on punting until you get a feel for what you are expected to know and that isn't the easiest thing to do, especially for PhD lectures where they don't always tend to focus on topics as they relate to medicine. Anyways, your test anxiety will gradually go down the more exams you take. Good luck

This. In our biochem class, we were asked broad questions that were gimmes but there was a good amount of random BS one bullet point on the slide questions that were asked by our PhD faculty. In a way, this makes sense because everybody thinks this and will study "high yield" stuff so the only way to differentiate students is the minute BS.

Reactions: 1 users

EDIT: I am writing from experience, this is something that your non clinician faculty has very limited insight in. I vividly remember thinking WTF, I can't believe they are asking this and there is no way I'll be able to make it.

Fair point I'm not suggesting I have my study strategy pinned down. All I was getting at was that I felt this week alone I did some adjusting and thought the result was decent (had a quiz today). When I get inevitability slapped with the humility stick after the test I will adjust again!

Reactions: 1 user
This. In our biochem class, we were asked broad questions that were gimmes but there was a good amount of random BS one bullet point on the slide questions that were asked by our PhD faculty. In a way, this makes sense because everybody thinks this and will study "high yield" stuff so the only way to differentiate students is the minute BS.

At my school, the common phrase used was "fair game." It was considered fair game if it appeared in the PowerPoint, handout, or mentioned during lecture. Translation, slide 73 bullet six mentioned this detail, the question is "fair." Additionally, some courses like pathology it included anything that was in Robbins or that we "would need to know as physicians" meaning basically anything they wanted to ask was "fair." For this reason, understand first and limit memorization to only those details where it is required.

Fair point I'm not suggesting I have my study strategy pinned down. All I was getting at was that I felt this week alone I did some adjusting and thought the result was decent (had a quiz today). When I get inevitability slapped with the humility stick after the test I will adjust again!

Yep, and don't feel alone because everyone will get slapped at some point or another. A big part of medical education is learning what is important. I don't think I fully grasped this until I was preparing for Level 2, the light came on, at least brighter than before. Medical topics are like a story, as the story progresses it is easier to remember the added details. Right now, you are starting from the base and that is hard.

Jeez. I can't believe it's been 2 years since I was that (thinner) medical school student sitting in on my first week of biochemistry at KCU. Boy was that week and the following week waiting to find out what the curve on that midterm interesting.

Reactions: 7 users
Starting orientation this Monday

I feel like I'm the last one to start school

Reactions: 5 users

Yeah, true to some degree, but you have to prioritize. There's too much material not to. You need to get comfortable in understanding that you won't be able to cover everything and there are going to be random questions that they will ask that you have no idea about. That's just as pronounced on the Steps. When you figure out what is high yield then you won't feel like you're drowning. For now talk to 2nd years, ask them what's important for exams, they should be able to give you broad strokes of what to focus on.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just finished orientation Thursday. Classes start Monday and first exam is the following Monday. I'm scared

totally normal. stick to the high yield and fundamental and you will be fine. know that most people feel like this in the beginning.

That's rough, buddy! I'm sorry to hear that you were immediately thrown to the wolves. We are actually being "eased in" at my school. We start with (2) 5 week blocks of Medical Genetics and a basic clinical foundations course (in addition to Anatomy and OPP) before we get ambushed with histo, physio, and biochem. Things are going soooo slow right now that I've been sitting in my apartment thinking to myself "I thought medical school was supposed to be difficult!" Oh am I in for a rude awakening once Labor Day passes :(.

We'll get through first year! Life is going to suck, but we knew that before we agreed to be a part of this wild ride. I will second what a lot of people have said in this thread though about talking to second years. DO IT! They've given me sooooooooo much valuable information that you WONT get from anyone else. It has reduced my stress level from a 9.999 to about an 8.5 :laugh:.

Second years provide the most valuable information and are the best anxiolytic. Crazy thing from my perspective, it seemed hard from the beginning and continued to get progressively harder in regards to amount of material. Once you get a good grasp of studying, it is fourth semester and now you add on Step 1 studying.

You may feel overwhelmed now, but this is probably going to be your easiest test since the school most likely structured it in such a way to ease students into the lifestyle. I say this because 13 lectures (even if each lecture is 2 hours of material) is really nothing at all compared to what you'll be asked to study later in the year once anatomy/neuroscience/microbiology/immunology are added on.

Trust me, the true test is later on when you feel like you've burned out and the volume only gets larger. You need to find healthy coping mechanisms early on to prevent this.

While the above posts may give you (and other incoming first year) panic attacks - just remember that thousands of doctors have gone through what you are going through (or about to go through).

For some, the first test will be a wake-up call to change study habits. For others, it will reaffirm that they are on the right path. There will be some who will profess publicly that the material is easy and they don't need to study all that much (while secretly studying a lot), while others will panic at the volume of material.

However, with time you will get used to the pace of material - you will adapt, you will survive, and you will thrive. You will find time to have fun - join clubs, do non-academic endeavors, go on dates, etc. Don't take your foot off the pedal though - the material will speed up (in terms of volume). Just keep up with the material, review the material, and make time for yourself.

The volume of material will feel like drinking from a firehose (there's a reason why this analogy is quoted over and over)

Being a good student in medical school is like being a good pancake eater (look up pancake analogy for medical school). As long as you diligently eat your pancakes every day, you're good. If you get behind, that's when you get in trouble.

However, know the warning signs (es if you are having trouble learning/memorizing) and seek help early. And also make sure to take care of your mental health as well ... this is an ultramarathon, not a sprint.

Reactions: 6 users
honestly the 4 years of med school aren't bad at all. you're expected to sound stupid, will make tons of mistakes, and a lot of the times you can set your own hours.

then you get to residency and mistakes become less tolerated, people get annoyed when you sound stupid, and you work and work some more. lol enjoy your 4 years, med school can be hard but its also a fun experience.

Glad you've come to realize that you aren't going to know everything. A huge part of the experience first year (at least for me) was understanding what study habits were good and which needed work or I needed to punt.

Also, I remember my butt hurting a lot from sitting so much.

Best of luck on the exam tomorrow. Don't let the scores shake you up. Usually that first MCM exam average is pretty low as everyone is still getting their bearings straight.

Reactions: 4 users
honestly the 4 years of med school aren't bad at all. you're expected to sound stupid, will make tons of mistakes, and a lot of the times you can set your own hours.

then you get to residency and mistakes become less tolerated, people get annoyed when you sound stupid, and you work and work some more. lol enjoy your 4 years, med school can be hard but its also a fun experience.

Hey, hope everything is going OK. Hang in there. I can't say I don't miss how easy med school was compared to this month, but fortunately being an intern, people haven't been too annoyed with how stupid I am... yet.

This was the part I least expected. As a fourth year student, I still don't feel close to a competent physician. I still have sooooooooo much to learn. As soon as you start grasping one specialty, it is on to the next. Repeat again and again. No one values anything you do and everything done seems like a mistake. Oh, and don't forget, you will always feel in the way.

Well...I passed the first exam so I'll count that as a win! Kind of it was fairly difficult. Definitely have more study technique tweaking to do, but for now I'll take it

Reactions: 11 users
I learned during my first week that orientation is pointless

Yes, completely pointless. At least you got to meet your school's twelve deans so you know why your tuition is so expensive :highfive:

Yes, completely pointless. At least you got to meet your school's twelve deans so you know why your tuition is so expensive :highfive:

Our security guards had an 2 hour slot to lecture us. Love my school but that was ridiculous. The lecture was so long that the entire class had time to enroll in a groupme chatroom and share memes.

Our security guards had an 2 hour slot to lecture us. Love my school but that was ridiculous. The lecture was so long that the entire class had time to enroll in a groupme chatroom and share memes.

While that orientation sounds rough, your class sounds awesome. Sharing memes on day 1 is a good sign

Wow, that seems depressing.
How were your classmates though? what is the atmosphere, you only talked about how hard the materials are?

Well...I passed the first exam so I'll count that as a win! Kind of it was fairly difficult. Definitely have more study technique tweaking to do, but for now I'll take it
Congrats man! Makes me happy to know other medical students are surviving!!

I'm about to start my first day real soon-- and after the long orientation days all I can hope for is calm winds to guide me through the storm that is first year.

While that orientation sounds rough, your class sounds awesome. Sharing memes on day 1 is a good sign

yeah it was pretty spontaneous. Found out we had a couple of real weirdos but personally I'd prefer weird over boring.

3rd week in and I still don't really know what HY material is yet.. Just putting in 4-5 hrs after classes just to stay afloat at the moment.

I think I've figured out I might be a much happier person with 3-4 hours/day of studying and spending more time in the gym and cooking healthy food. I don't know..

Last edited:
3rd week in and I still don't really know what HY material is yet.. Just putting in 4-5 hrs after classes just to stay afloat at the moment.

I think I've figured out I might be a much happier person with 3-4 hours/day of studying and spending more time in the gym and cooking healthy food. I don't know..

I've gotten up and worked out every morning so far and I'm really going to try and keep it up once they throw more classes on in a week because it definitely makes me feel better.

So, just a little fyi -- and yes, this actually happened at TCOM during one of our exam reviews in Neuro -- the policy was that any question that got less than a 70% pass was discussed in the exam review. A practicing, BC neurologist read the question -- it had to do with the different propagation properties of the various nerve fibers -- the neurologist looked up at the class, over at the course director who was a Ph.D, and then looks back at the class and stated, " This is a question written by a non-clinician who wants to test your ability to remember clinically useless minutiae. We don't use this or these terms as practicing clinicians". The course director then pipes up with, " I wrote that question.". They looked at each other for about 30 seconds and then proceeded with the rest of the exam review.

Ph.D's typically control 1st and 2nd year -- they have no clue what is clinically applicable but 1st and 2nd year isn't about being clinically useful. It's about building a base of knowledge so that you can successfully pass the boards -- and Ph.D's have to teach in order to maintain their labs which is what they like to do -- some have a chip on their shoulder and like to stick it to med students any chance they get since they generally know the topic with more depth than clinicians but society views a Ph.D differently than a D.O./M.D. and it makes some of them angry. Whatever.

So, key here -- figure out what's going to be on the boards and know that stuff well and in detail -- as I've stated elsewhere, get a copy of FA for Step 1 to use as a guide, take that thing down to Kinko's and get the cover removed. Have it 3 hole punched and put it in a binder -- annotate as needed and throw in notes/ppts over details you need to remember -- by the time you hit studying for step 1, you've got a personally made study guide for review that you created. I would pre-read the pertinent sections before starting each class to guide you as to what is important and at least know that well (i.e. medically well - be able to reproduce it from memory on a blank sheet of paper) and then work on the rest of it.

And don't forget -- most schools really don't care individually about students or how good of a doctor you'll make -- it's all about can you do well on the boards since that's how they get to put the blurbs in their recruiting information and hence get more/better applicants to choose from and hence stay employed...that may be a bit jaded/cynical but don't believe for a minute that it's not partially true -- so -- it's a hard balance to strike -- learn the material well by learning the material and NOT focusing on boards the first 2 years but then start your board focus during the last 6 months all the while focusing more on what you need for boards if that makes sense -- year 3 is where you really start to learn medicine....

Last edited:
So, just a little fyi -- and yes, this actually happened at TCOM during one of our exam reviews in Neuro -- the policy was that any question that got less than a 70% pass was discussed in the exam review. A practicing, BC neurologist read the question -- it had to do with the different propagation properties of the various nerve fibers -- the neurologist looked up at the class, over at the course director who was a Ph.D, and then looks back at the class and stated, " This is a question written by a non-clinician who wants to test your ability to remember clinically useless minutiae. We don't use this or these terms as practicing clinicians". The course director then pipes up with, " I wrote that question.". They looked at each other for about 30 seconds and then proceeded with the rest of the exam review.

Ph.D's typically control 1st and 2nd year -- they have no clue what is clinically applicable but 1st and 2nd year isn't about being clinically useful. It's about building a base of knowledge so that you can successfully pass the boards -- and Ph.D's have to teach in order to maintain their labs which is what they like to do -- some have a chip on their shoulder and like to stick it to med students any chance they get since they generally know the topic with more depth than clinicians but society views a Ph.D differently than a D.O./M.D. and it makes some of them angry. Whatever.

So, key here -- figure out what's going to be on the boards and know that stuff well and in detail -- as I've stated elsewhere, get a copy of FA for Step 1 to use as a guide, take that thing down to Kinko's and get the cover removed. Have it 3 hole punched and put it in a binder -- annotate as needed and throw in notes/ppts over details you need to remember -- by the time you hit studying for step 1, you've got a personally made study guide for review that you created. I would pre-read the pertinent sections before starting each class to guide you as to what is important and at least know that well (i.e. medically well - be able to reproduce it from memory on a blank sheet of paper) and then work on the rest of it.

And don't forget -- most schools really don't care individually about students or how good of a doctor you'll make -- it's all about can you do well on the boards since that's how they get to put the blurbs in their recruiting information and hence get more/better applicants to choose from and hence stay employed...that may be a bit jaded/cynical but don't believe for a minute that it's not partially true -- so -- it's a hard balance to strike -- learn the material well by learning the material and NOT focusing on boards the first 2 years but then start your board focus during the last 6 months all the while focusing more on what you need for boards if that makes sense -- year 3 is where you really start to learn medicine....

Thanks for the tips. I'll actually do this.

Quick question -- if I buy the 2017 FA book, how much will things change in the 2018? Enough to warrant another purchase next year?

Thanks for the tips. I'll actually do this.

Quick question -- if I buy the 2017 FA book, how much will things change in the 2018? Enough to warrant another purchase next year?

Probably not -- I wouldn't go 2 years down the road -- remember the purpose of using FA -- it's a guide -- for example -- I had a lousy biochem prep (like zero) so I was memorizing atomic weights and at what energy level electrons dropped off, etc. -- when what I needed to pay attention to and work on was the control mechanisms of the glycolytic pathway/ETC and how protein/fats worked their was into/out of that cycle -- this was very clear based on what was emphasized in FA but I was a pedantic, almost OCD schmuck determined to know everything, rather than --key phrase -- what's medically relevant -- another example -- I wanted to be able to see/know the origin of the pudendal nerve during cadaveric dissection, rather than just knowing how to identify it on a practical and the medically relevant points that were given in first aid and lecture notes...does that make sense? For each FA topic, you should drill down and know that topic very well but if it ain't in FA, most likely won't be on boards -- if you know what's in FA medically well (see above post) you should be pulling B's without breaking a sweat -- I found this out late in 3rd year and kicked myself for being such a schmuck in years 1 and 2....

Glad you've come to realize that you aren't going to know everything. A huge part of the experience first year (at least for me) was understanding what study habits were good and which needed work or I needed to punt.

Also, I remember my butt hurting a lot from sitting so much.

Best of luck on the exam tomorrow. Don't let the scores shake you up. Usually that first MCM exam average is pretty low as everyone is still getting their bearings straight.

Yeah, I'm sure that's why your butt hurts...

:p

I love my classmates!

Are you at the new ARCOM?

---
OP, days will pass like months and months will pass like days. From the day you start medical school your life will be different. Come back to this post 2 months from now, in 6 months, and then in your 2nd year. You have a different insight into what it means each time.

Before you know it you will be filling out ERAS and waiting for residency interview invites.

The hardest part of med school for me was coming to the realization some of the friends I started with won't make it graduation.

I believe the term high yield is over used. The amount of information required for tests is so high, that knowing the "high yield" may only get you 20% of the test questions correct. While high yield is important, it is not going to get you through medical school.

Study from the perspective of how does this relate to patients or medicine? How could they ask this on a test question? Anything that is quirky or counter-intuitive seemed just as or more likely to show up on an exam than high yield material.

For me, I go to lecture, and every lecture is super helpful for me, then I'll go home and translate those slides into my own notes. I've been keeping up with materials daily. And I'm making anki for Anatomy. I feel more overwhelming on those anatomy lab day where we have to get our dissection done, but after all, it is great experience so far.
Keep up everyone. We all can do this

Reactions: 5 users
For me, I go to lecture, and every lecture is super helpful for me, then I'll go home and translate those slides into my own notes. I've been keeping up with materials daily. And I'm making anki for Anatomy. I feel more overwhelming on those anatomy lab day where we have to get our dissection done, but after all, it is great experience so far.
Keep up everyone. We all can do this

Yeah I'm starting to think that doing dissection is a time sink and not necessary

First week? Feels so long ago. We finish our first semester in four days lol.

I'd just like to add, get used to this feeling. Started surgery rotation recently and the first 2 weeks was exactly like you described. It gets better though and I actually feel like I only get in the way about half the time now.

Be careful about what you say in group chats. The administration at my school lectured us after they found out people were making fun of professors on a class chat.

Be careful about what you say in group chats. The administration at my school lectured us after they found out people were making fun of professors on a class chat.

Agreed its been pretty tame on the group chat. I think i was just surprised we were able to get to know each other so well on the first day.

Yeah, I'm sure that's why your butt hurts...

:p

Are you at the new ARCOM?

---
OP, days will pass like months and months will pass like days. From the day you start medical school your life will be different. Come back to this post 2 months from now, in 6 months, and then in your 2nd year. You have a different insight into what it means each time.

Before you know it you will be filling out ERAS and waiting for residency interview invites.

The hardest part of med school for me was coming to the realization some of the friends I started with won't make it graduation.
No I'm at UAMS

Easier said than done, but make sure you're going over the old lectures along with the new ones. Very easy to forget material in med school. Idk how well you retain information, but I always had to get 3 passes to be confident in the material and score in the 85-90% range