First time looking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cnb0014

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all I'm an up coming applicant this cycle applying to DO and DPM schools. The main reason I'm considering DPM is the chance to really pursue and specialize foot and ankle
surgery. How likely is it to land a DPM surgical residency? Are they as competitive as Acgme residency?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Hey y'all I'm an up coming applicant this cycle applying to DO and DPM schools. The main reason I'm considering DPM is the chance to really pursue and specialize foot and ankle
surgery. How likely is it to land a DPM surgical residency? Are they as competitive as Acgme residency?

Once you complete DPM school, pass boards, etc., everyone completes a mandatory 3 year surgical residency. Whether or not you want to actually practice as a surgical podiatrist thereafter is up to you, but everyone gets that surgical training.

Reactions: 4 users
Thats awesome!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Consider reading through the residents/attending threads as well and thoroughly shadow.

The allure of a guaranteed surgical residency is enticing, but you need to realize on top of those surgical cases, a lot of the work you will be doing is preventative/palliative care as well.

Just want you to be well-informed. Do not perceive podiatry as a short-cut MD/DO surgeon route. The profession has its advantages over MD/DO and similarities but do not be mistaken.

Reactions: 4 users
Yep, pros and cons to everything.

One major pro is little call.

Also, if you land a job with an ortho group, it's basically indistinguishable from a foot and ankle ortho (with again, lack of General call).

Reactions: 1 user