First real job after fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soulrider

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys
I'm entering my last year of pulmonary and critical care fellowship and due to being picky about which location I want to be in, I already started looking for jobs and got an interview out of state, in a sought after area. It will probably cost me close me over one thousand dollars in flight + hotel for me and my spouse to go there. The potential employer hasn't mentioned anything about paying for at least my flight and hotel.
Should I ask for it? And if I do ask, how would you guys pose the question?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the input guys. An update: I was just contacted by them and they will be making all travel arrangements

Hey guys.
So I sent on that interview. Loved the job. Really seems like the dream job, especially when compared to all other places I have seen so far.
What happens next? I contacted the recruiter and told her I was very interested. She said that they were interested too and that I would hear from them after they finish gathering feedback.
It's been a week and I haven't heard anything. Is this normal? Or should I move on with my life and try to find another dream job?

Reactions: 1 user
Lawyers work slow. So they are either trying to decide between several interviewees or getting a term sheet together. A week is nothing. My first job the back and forth over piddly things took 3-4 months

Hey guys,

i got an offer from the place. position is mainly critical care (80% critical care, 20% pulm). the offer is 270k for 18 shifts (no bonus, no production, no nothing). benefits not too great. i won't go into much details about the rest of the contract (even though I know other things are important just as the salary).

but the salary seems extremely low to me compared to everything else i have seen. what do you all think?

Lots of factors here but in my area 270 would be low, no bonus or production abilities would be a deal breaker for me, and ****ty benefits on top of that.

You should find the mgma data file, someone posted parts of it on Sdn for 2015 recently or just pay for it.

Hey guys,

i got an offer from the place. position is mainly critical care (80% critical care, 20% pulm). the offer is 270k for 18 shifts (no bonus, no production, no nothing). benefits not too great. i won't go into much details about the rest of the contract (even though I know other things are important just as the salary).

but the salary seems extremely low to me compared to everything else i have seen. what do you all think?

270k sucks pretty much anywhere. Even in Nyc you can get that much nowadays, and everybody seems to want to be there for some reason.

You may be too geographically limited, nothing wrong with that, but you need to know the current market or nearby places to compare and ask for more $.
Mgma is also a good bargaining start point.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys,

Depending on how long your shifts are the hourly pay works out to about 105 per hour which most hospitalists can do better on. Unless the icu is 6 beds or something the group partners are going to be making a lot of money off your billing. Insulting offer, counter hard or just walk.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys,

Low. Low. Low.

No production bonus.

Would not work.

Is this some kind of associate position where you can become partner later?

Hey guys,

I work in a non-procedural IM sub-specialty with about 1 inpatient consult a week. I work 3 days a week and see 50-60 clinic patients. I live in a hugely popular location with depressed reimbursement as a result. I make more than that at baseline in an academ-ish position, AND have a production bonus.

Low. Low. Low.

No production bonus.

Would not work.

Is this some kind of associate position where you can become partner later?
Yeah. 2 year partnership. When I asked how much partners make, they didn't give me an answer..

I work in a non-procedural IM sub-specialty with about 1 inpatient consult a week. I work 3 days a week and see 50-60 clinic patients. I live in a hugely popular location with depressed reimbursement as a result. I make more than that at baseline in an academ-ish position, AND have a production bonus.
may i ask which location are you in?

Yeah. 2 year partnership. When I asked how much partners make, they didn't give me an answer..

That's another no-go. Unless they're willing to share their financials and know what they're making so you know what you will be making walk away. I'd also want in writing what type of buy in they expect or how they will calculate that.

270 is way too low. i am getting at minimum 320 in las vegas.

life situation changed and now i need some advice! I am about to graduate this coming cycle from a pulm/cc fellowship. current boss offering about 350k. I am no longer tied to anyone or any place but I was wondering about doing some sort of locums pulm/cc gig, keeping my place in vegas and figuring out what the requisite amount of time i need to be here for me to not have to pay state tax (nv has not state income tax). I was thinking of setting up my own llc/pllc or something like that and hustling while a bit younger but still contributing to sep-ira and what not. I figured this way I could pay off debt from student loans and my vegas condo before settling for a full time type of gig where the focus is more on having a steady salary with benefits inclusive of health, vision, dental, 401k with matching. I would love to hear different options you guys can recommend. I don't mind doing a week in vegas and a week elsewhere or something like that?