First practice exam score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fldoctorgirl

IM PGY-1
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just took my first practice exam!!

I used TPR for content review. I went through the entire book for Gen Chem, Physics/Math, Biochem, & Psych. I did select chapters out of the Bio book because I felt comfortable with the material. I skipped CARS and orgo entirely as I wanted to begin doing practice exams.

I took a Next Step exam and scored 503. This is without any intense studying/memorization. When I read TPR, I took notes on paper and am in the process of converting them to flashcards to memorize.

Also, this is the first form of questions I'm looking at. I didn't do any practice questions while content reviewing.

So I guess my question is...how should I feel about this score considering I haven't hammered the material yet? Is it promising for 510+ for an exam date of May 18th? I have just finished the semester so will be spending the weeks until the test doing nothing but studying.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Considering you are a <1 month from your exam, you should be focusing on AAMC style material exclusively. Spend 3-4 days on each SB, do all the Qpacks (take special note of CARS, if you don't get 65%+, reschedule your exam.) Do the sample AAMC exam ASAP (CARS is easy on this, aim for 80%+). It may be possible to get 510+ but it's hard to tell where you are at right now with only one non-AAMC test score.

Reactions: 1 users
Considering you are a <1 month from your exam, you should be focusing on AAMC style material exclusively. Spend 3-4 days on each SB, do all the Qpacks (take special note of CARS, if you don't get 65%+, reschedule your exam.) Do the sample AAMC exam ASAP (CARS is easy on this, aim for 80%+). It may be possible to get 510+ but it's hard to tell where you are at right now with only one non-AAMC test score.
I started with an NS exam because I wanted to get an idea of how I was scoring since I've done zero practice and literally had no idea how I would do-- if I would've scored super low, I wouldn't have wanted to waste an official AAMC test. I know <1 month seems like not much time, but I literally have nothing to do until my exam date besides study all day every day. Now that I did decent on NS, I am planning on taking AAMC FL 1 in the next few days, and of course am planning on incorporating the section banks in as well. Thank you for your suggestions on score minima to meet, I will definitely keep those in mind when I do more practice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Which NS did you take? I plan to buy their 4 exams and will probably take one either tomorrow or Monday! A 503 is a decent 1st FL score and with the addition of AAMC materials, your score will only improve.
I took NS 1! I didn't buy it, I just signed up for an account and they give you FL 1 and a diagnostic for free.

Reactions: 1 users
Has the Anki flashcards been helpful to you? I am making some of them but haven't been systematically using them yet.
I think you got some room of improvement if you scored a 503+ w/o any intense studying...if the FL you took is one of those pre-course "diagnostic" exam, then you should get a few more points on the real MCAT, cuz the diagnostic test are usually designed to be a bit harder than the real MCAT.

Has the Anki flashcards been helpful to you? I am making some of them but haven't been systematically using them yet.
I think you got some room of improvement if you scored a 503+ w/o any intense studying...if the FL you took is one of those pre-course "diagnostic" exam, then you should get a few more points on the real MCAT, cuz the diagnostic test are usually designed to be a bit harder than the real MCAT.

Hey! I used Anki to study for the MCAT and I thought it was really useful. I took the exam yesterday and I distinctly remember being so happy that I used Anki during the exam. I studied while working full time for about 6 months and would just do the cards during my commute or in line at the grocery store, etc.

I haven't begun too much intense review of them but I really like the process of making my own flashcards cause I feel that doing that alone helps! Like @_NM_ mentioned, many people think Anki was highly beneficial to their studying, so I definitely recommend it based on that!

So I just took my first practice exam!!

I used TPR for content review. I went through the entire book for Gen Chem, Physics/Math, Biochem, & Psych. I did select chapters out of the Bio book because I felt comfortable with the material. I skipped CARS and orgo entirely as I wanted to begin doing practice exams.

I took a Next Step exam and scored 503. This is without any intense studying/memorization. When I read TPR, I took notes on paper and am in the process of converting them to flashcards to memorize.

Also, this is the first form of questions I'm looking at. I didn't do any practice questions while content reviewing.

So I guess my question is...how should I feel about this score considering I haven't hammered the material yet? Is it promising for 510+ for an exam date of May 18th? I have just finished the semester so will be spending the weeks until the test doing nothing but studying.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

so I am in no position to give good feedback considering the fact that I'm also in your boat, but my exam is in June. I just want to mention that I took AAMC #1 before studying any content, and did terrible as I expected. Then I studied the first 4 chapters from all of my content books, and took the same free NS #1 you took, and I improved 12 points! from 490 to 502... I'm not sure if NS is super easy compared to AAMC, but I was expecting around 496 or so, so I'm a little skeptical about my NS score.
My point is, I think you should take an AAMC exam to get a more accurate base score before banking on the NS.

Reactions: 1 user