First day as pharm tech/cashier

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wwang0919

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I recently got hired as a pharm tech/cashier at a busy independent pharmacy. I had no prior customer serivce or tech experience whatsoever. I just had my third day and I feel like I don't really know what I am doing half the time. I was never given any formal training, just thrown into the job right away, and was working for 10 hours straight for the first time with no real lunch break. I was given a day to "observe" and train but since they were so understaffed and busy on my observation day, I was never really taught how to use any of the computer software, etc. They taught me this and that but I feel like everything is all over the place and I already made alot of mistakes. I almost lost a customer's insurance card and I sometimes forgot to verify the patients name and address when dispensing medications when it got really busy. The pharmacist in charge was very encouraging and said I did an excellent job but I feel like its already been my third day and I should've gotten the hang of things. I am afraid that instead of helping out, i am stressing out the staff even more. I found this job through my school's job search website and I saw that they recently reposted the same job listing I applied for. Should I worry that my job is in danger? Thanks for all input.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I recently got hired as a pharm tech/cashier at a busy independent pharmacy. I had no prior customer serivce or tech experience whatsoever. I just had my third day and I feel like I don't really know what I am doing half the time. I was never given any formal training, just thrown into the job right away, and was working for 10 hours straight for the first time with no real lunch break. I was given a day to "observe" and train but since they were so understaffed and busy on my observation day, I was never really taught how to use any of the computer software, etc. They taught me this and that but I feel like everything is all over the place and I already made alot of mistakes. I almost lost a customer's insurance card and I sometimes forgot to verify the patients name and address when dispensing medications when it got really busy. The pharmacist in charge was very encouraging and said I did an excellent job but I feel like its already been my third day and I should've gotten the hang of things. I am afraid that instead of helping out, i am stressing out the staff even more. I found this job through my school's job search website and I saw that they recently reposted the same job listing I applied for. Should I worry that my job is in danger? Thanks for all input.
Keep notebook and write down anything useful you think you will forget. Work as many hour as possible need this to gain experience and muscle/mental memory

Keep notebook and write down anything useful you think you will forget. Work as many hour as possible need this to gain experience and muscle/mental memory

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's pretty confusing in the pharmacy environment on the 1st day. My pharmacist called me a all sorts of nicknames having to do with being stupid but after maybe 3? days, you start to get a feel for the place. One of the more confusing things would probably be the learning the sig codes which is something that you get accustomed to from seeing it often.

Hello,

HEY! I just started working at a pharmacy also! I have had the exact same experience as you. An independent pharmacy, they put me to work the register (as a clerk/ cashier) a lot (i had no retail experience before this), when i do go to the pharmacy side i only shadow and watch what the techs are doing. It does get very busy at times, but then theres a couple of hours where it dies down and i have "nothing to do" but walk the aisles and get familiar with the meds. I still haven't been put to count pills or fill a prescription when they do pull me to pharmacy side. I have made a few mistakes in the checking out side. I was hired because they are understaffed in the pharmacy side but they need me to make sure i've learned the OTC side. But instead i also feel like just taking up space making it harder for them rather than making it easier. The leading tech told me that I'm not expected to already know everything but i cant help feel more like a burden. I want them to know that i'm very eager to learn and help them out (as it looks very satisfying to be busy back there), but at the same time, i dont want to overstep my boundaries. They work really fast (probably some of the best techs i've seen), and i get intimidated at times. However, i know it's muscle memory for most of it, and i will only improve if i get my hands on it but im hesitant in telling them this.
The replies on here have also helped me out and i'm more at ease knowing that someone is in the same boat as me. They have also put help wanted signs at my pharmacy, but i believe because they need a permanent clerk (as theres only a few of them including me).

HEY! I just started working at a pharmacy also! I have had the exact same experience as you. An independent pharmacy, they put me to work the register (as a clerk/ cashier) a lot (i had no retail experience before this), when i do go to the pharmacy side i only shadow and watch what the techs are doing. It does get very busy at times, but then theres a couple of hours where it dies down and i have "nothing to do" but walk the aisles and get familiar with the meds. I still haven't been put to count pills or fill a prescription when they do pull me to pharmacy side. I have made a few mistakes in the checking out side. I was hired because they are understaffed in the pharmacy side but they need me to make sure i've learned the OTC side. But instead i also feel like just taking up space making it harder for them rather than making it easier. The leading tech told me that I'm not expected to already know everything but i cant help feel more like a burden. I want them to know that i'm very eager to learn and help them out (as it looks very satisfying to be busy back there), but at the same time, i dont want to overstep my boundaries. They work really fast (probably some of the best techs i've seen), and i get intimidated at times. However, i know it's muscle memory for most of it, and i will only improve if i get my hands on it but im hesitant in telling them this.
The replies on here have also helped me out and i'm more at ease knowing that someone is in the same boat as me. They have also put help wanted signs at my pharmacy, but i believe because they need a permanent clerk (as theres only a few of them including me).

Exactly! I feel the exact same way. I want tk show them that I am willing to learn everything but I feel like my presence is bothering them more than helping them. Especially when it gets really busy and I can't help the cashier with some of the customers because I haven't learned everything yet and they haven't had the opportunity to teach me since they are always so busy. I was hoping to lighten the work load for them but sometimes I feel like theres nothing I can do but stand there. Hopefully it gets better for both of us soon!