General Admissions & OTCAS Finish pre-requisites first or apply first

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hello003

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning to apply to OT programs this coming cycle 2017-2018. I still have Human Physiology, Human Anatomy, and Sociology left to complete, but I was wondering whether it would be better for me to wait until I complete these pre-requisites before I apply or just apply as soon as possible. I am currently taking Human Physiology (which will complete by the first week of August) but I'm also not so sure how well I will do either. I just need help deciding what to do!

Members don't see this ad.

Finish all your prereqs. OT school is so competitive while human anatomy and physiology are core classes. You want to do well in them ( sociology as well). I recommend focusing on strengthening your application the coming year so you can be a better applicant for the following cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
Finish all your prereqs. OT school is so competitive while human anatomy and physiology are core classes. You want to do well in them ( sociology as well). I recommend focusing on strengthening your application the coming year so you can be a better applicant for the following cycle.

I am applying this cycle, but it would be better for me to complete more prerequisites before I apply right? I know that applying sooner is better, but in this case it would be more beneficial to wait?

Members don't see this ad :)
It's only beneficial to apply early if the school you want to apply to has a "Rolling Admissions". If there are no rolling admissions, and the due date for applications is after your Fall semester is over, you might be able to knock out Anatomy and Sociology and make it in time to apply. I'm not sure how many schools have that late of an application due date, but two that come to mind are NYU and Columbia.

But, if the schools you want to apply to have rolling admissions and you're hell-bent on getting in for Fall 2018, I'd recommend at least having physiology done first and applying as soon as the grades go through. I would not recommend applying before physiology is finished. Some schools note that at least physiology or anatomy (or both) be completed first before applying.

Thoroughly go through the websites of the schools you want to apply to and make your decision. If you have any questions, it's best to reach out to one of their advisors.

It's only beneficial to apply early if the school you want to apply to has a "Rolling Admissions". If there are no rolling admissions, and the due date for applications is after your Fall semester is over, you might be able to knock out Anatomy and Sociology and make it in time to apply. I'm not sure how many schools have that late of an application due date, but two that come to mind are NYU and Columbia.

But, if the schools you want to apply to have rolling admissions and you're hell-bent on getting in for Fall 2018, I'd recommend at least having physiology done first and applying as soon as the grades go through. I would not recommend applying before physiology is finished. Some schools note that at least physiology or anatomy (or both) be completed first before applying.

Thoroughly go through the websites of the schools you want to apply to and make your decision. If you have any questions, it's best to reach out to one of their advisors.

Oh ok got it! thank you so much!

I am applying this cycle, but it would be better for me to complete more prerequisites before I apply right? I know that applying sooner is better, but in this case it would be more beneficial to wait?
If you insist on applying this cycle, then I think it's better to apply early. You can always update the school once grades come out (Keep them inform to show interest and responsibility) Your existing application needs to be strong enough for reaffirm your capability even with courses pending.

I'm going to agree with the advice to either wait, or apply early and notify the schools personally in email about the in progress classes.

A word of caution though about schools with deadlines as I saw it was mentioned, my school had a deadline of January, as in it wasn't a rolling admissions. I was told at an orientation that it does not matter if you are a 4.0 student: if you apply late and are at the bottom of the pile, they will most likely fill the interview slots before they get to the application. This is because they know the dates they have to interview people and the number they want at each interview. For the school I'm attending the deadline was January 9th. I had an invitation to interview that next week, and we interviewed the first weekend in February.

I was also told this by the Dean of the OT program at my undergraduate school when asking for advice for reapplication as the first time I applied I waited until late to do so and was waitlisted everywhere. She said for the purposes of many programs, if you apply around the deadline date, they probably already know who they are interviewing/taking. I cannot stress enough the importance of applying early if you do apply this year.

I finished up two pre-reqs, including A &P 2, during my gap year while applying. I do think it cost me getting into my initial top program (interviewed in November, notified in December before I had grades in these courses) BUT I did get accepted into several programs and without very high stats.

If you want some insight on the some southern schools or applying with prereqs feel free to PM me! Especially Milligan, where I'm so excited to be starting next month.

Definitely finish your coursework first; ensure you get an A in Anatomy and Physiology. Programs are becoming more and more competitive, and applications are expensive. Get yourself into as good a position as you can to be a top applicant before shelling out the cash.

Absolutely finish your pre-reqs first. I didn't get into Trinity last year because my med term class finished a week after their "deadline" (they were rolling admissions).