finally took 1st full-length practice test..could use advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nthamby1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

been lurking here for a while now while studying for the DAT. Just took my 1st full-length test today from bootcamp and here are the scores..

Bio/GC/OC/PAT/RC/QR
17/17/14/17/20/16

so I'm not the happiest with my scores, especially considering my DAT is scheduled to be taken in 6 days from now. I was wondering if you think I could make significant improvement within the next few days or if I should consider postponing the test a week or two. I am a bit hesitant on postponing due to it being sort of late in the application process already and I would have to pay for reschedule fee + new BC subscription. Although I know a better score is the main goal so it shouldn't matter lol.

Also I was wondering if there was any advice on how to get better at timing for the PAT section. I was running out of time and probably had to make a quick guess on about 15-20ish problems. I started with angles, then hole punching, then cubes and the next thing i know i only had like 20min left. Im not sure where the time went really. I may have spent a bit too much time in the cube counting.

Overall I guess I really just need more time with each sections the material. Anyway if you could let me know what ya think id greatly appreciate it! :D

- Nathan

Members don't see this ad.

What methods are you using for PAT it shouldn't take you that long for those three sections?

How long have you been studying for?
well i have been "studying" for a couple months now, but the real like actual studying started like two weeks ago id say. I went over chads gc vids couple months back and reviewed my notes this week. Finished his O-chem vids over last two weeks. For bio ive been going over feralis a bit but for some reason I thought since I was a bio major I wouldnt need much time in this section. And ive done about 30 questions in each section of dat destroyer. so i know I havent properly prepared as much as i should yet. Its been hard getting back into the study grind and this summer was a bit busy with work and other family obligations.

Members don't see this ad :)
What methods are you using for PAT it shouldn't take you that long for those three sections?
For angles i did the eye twitching back and forth thing I got 10/15 correct, and then hole punching i used this method where i see where the folding axis is and then i mirror the holes over the line, got 13/15. And then cube I just counted the cubes it was asking for each question. I guess that wasnt the best method?

For cubes, I would recommend doing it Ari's way.
Cube Counting Strategy Video | DAT Bootcamp
When I first started, I would only count the cubes they were asking for in the question, but it lead to it taking more time (since they ask three questions per set), and I would often make mistakes. But after doing it Ari's way, I get 15/15!

For angles i did the eye twitching back and forth thing I got 10/15 correct, and then hole punching i used this method where i see where the folding axis is and then i mirror the holes over the line, got 13/15. And then cube I just counted the cubes it was asking for each question. I guess that wasnt the best method?
BC just released a chapter in PAT academy covering angles and Joel recommends spending no more than 5 mins on this section, so use whatever method works best for you but don't get hung up on a question just go with your gut and keep moving. For hole punching you want to use the grid method, it is the fastest and most effective way of being successful in this section, here is a link to a video on that () there are more videos on youtube that you can check out. This guys video doesn't have the best quality but he tells you what you need to know. For cube counting use Ari's table method works like a charm, he has videos on it on BC and youtube I think.

Also, choose an order in which you think you could get most of them right. I tend to go hole punching, cube counting, angles, keyholes, pattern folding, and then TFE. You just have to see what works best for you. Don't get hung up on a section you're not strong in, and save those for last.

For cubes, I would recommend doing it Ari's way.
Cube Counting Strategy Video | DAT Bootcamp
When I first started, I would only count the cubes they were asking for in the question, but it lead to it taking more time (since they ask three questions per set), and I would often make mistakes. But after doing it Ari's way, I get 15/15!

Oh wow ok the table strategy seems way more organized thank you!

BC just released a chapter in PAT academy covering angles and Joel recommends spending no more than 5 mins on this section, so use whatever method works best for you but don't get hung up on a question just go with your gut and keep moving. For hole punching you want to use the grid method, it is the fastest and most effective way of being successful in this section, here is a link to a video on that () there are more videos on youtube that you can check out. This guys video doesn't have the best quality but he tells you what you need to know. For cube counting use Ari's table method works like a charm, he has videos on it on BC and youtube I think.

Ok ill check out these strats thank you!
Also, choose an order in which you think you could get most of them right. I tend to go hole punching, cube counting, angles, keyholes, pattern folding, and then TFE. You just have to see what works best for you. Don't get hung up on a section you're not strong in, and save those for last.
Yea that is a good idea I'll practice more and see what works for me. thanks!
Your OC score is way to low at 14!. You need to postpone.
Ok that is very true. How long would you think i should postpone for? would like end of Aug say 30th be too late?

I'd definitely suggest postponing by a week at least, if not two. It's better to take it when you're ready vs. worrying about paying for a reschedule and scoring poorly. Go through all of Bio Destroyer, watch all of Mike's Videos for oc/gc. Take as many of the tests you can, and read the solution to every single problem. As for BC, I suggest you talk to Ari, he's super helpful and can possibly extend your subscription by a week (don't know for sure, but doesn't hurt to ask). Hope this helps:)
Thanks this definitely helps! Even if i've already watched all of chads videos would you suggest I still go and watch mikes videos too? Also would you say going through bio destroyer will prepare me enough that I wouldn't need to read all of cliffs ap? I feel like whenever I am reading cliffs it takes up a lot of my time studying.

Thanks this definitely helps! Even if i've already watched all of chads videos would you suggest I still go and watch mikes videos too? Also would you say going through bio destroyer will prepare me enough that I wouldn't need to read all of cliffs ap? I feel like whenever I am reading cliffs it takes up a lot of my time studying.
I only watched Mikes, and I got 26GC/22OC. I think it wouldn't hurt to watch Mike's sped up like 1.5x since it should all be review for you. I didn't read Cliffs, lol, so I can't say anything about it, but going through all of destroyer and as many BC bio tests as you can should cover like 95% of the material you could possibly be tested on.

Reactions: 1 user
do you have any advice on how to effectively use destroyer? I would do a problem then check if i was correct right after each problem.
i do the exact same thing, every time i answer a question i check the solution.
edit: also have your notes out when you're doing the problems and try to solve it on your own first.

I think you need to reschedule a month from now. You need a solid 4wk minimum to score high on the DAT. This means 12hours studying every day. If you want 20+ average this is what it takes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chad's videos were enough for me to score well on chems (30 GC/22 OC), I didn't use Mike's.

Also, it's not impossible to raise your score significantly in six days. You know yourself the best. I also were like you, didn't study seriously, then actually started studying for 1-2 weeks then took the first BC full length. I took the actual DAT 9 days after that and got an average of 5 points improvement per section.

If you do decide to cram it in six days, do a full length every day. Get yourself familiar with the test, and review your mistakes thoroughly. Try scsc7211's Version of Alan's Bio Notes (50+ pages) for biology.

Postpone or not, good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
People say comparison is the thief of joy and that we should compare ourselves to one another and blah blah blah BUT I think that with honest evaluation comes real growth.

My first BC section test for OC was 14> . I knew I was in trouble if I didnt really study hard for that section.

I primarily used Chad's videos for gen chem and Mike's for organic. Made a 23GC and 18OC on the real dat which I took yesterday. I honestly don't know what I missed on GC. There were only two questions that I was unsure of. My OC score doesnt show how much time I put into ochem. Im kinda bummed I did so poor on that section.

I would buy a small whiteboard and use it to learn the "roadmaps" from DAT destroyer. Don't run from the sections you're struggling with now. Put in the hardwork and you'll be thanking yourself on test day. Best of luck!!

Reactions: 2 users
I would suggest that you postpone your exam for a little bit.

Destroyer for OC and GC really really helps - highly recommend. You should complete all the destroyer problems at least once for both the chem sections. Once you finish your first go at the questions, you should start BC exams 6-10. Based on those practice exams, evaluate specific places you need work on and put all your focus on improving your weaknesses.

For bio, cliff's notes helped a lot. And for topics that I struggled to remember in bio, I made quizlet flashcards which also helps a ton because you're actively typing down the information you're trying to remember. Once you get the content down, practice with destroyer and BC exams 6-10, and like I said before, put your effort on improving your weaknesses. Don't avoid the topics that you're "meh" about and are weak on - instead face them and figure out what you're missing.

For PAT, you should watch the PAT academy videos Ari gives you in his 10 week study guide on BC. They give you a good foundation on how to tackle each section of the PAT. Then once you've got the foundation, practice your heart out on the generators. I can't stress that enough. Practicing the PAT will show you improvements.

Looks like you're doing fine with RC.

For QR, target what types of questions you're having trouble with the most, then figure out why you're getting them wrong (what calculations are you missing or what part of the question you don't understand etc.). I had a lot of trouble with probability, but once I tackled that head on and tried to figure out what I was doing wrong, what I wasn't understanding, and how to approach the question correctly, my QR score improved significantly.

The DAT is not an easy exam, and trust me, while studying for it I definitely didn't have the ideal environment either. But push through, if you put the work in, you'll see the return in your scores.

Reactions: 2 users