Finally got a transitional residency and completely matched !

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

curiousme23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

About 3 weeks post match, I have finally completely matched.
I just wanted to share my story to you all, for some it might be a morale boosting.

I am an IMG. 10-11 years post medical school. My USMLE 1 score is 20x and 2 is 22x. I passed CS in first attempt. I have no US work experience. I have done PG in Anesthesiology and I am a practicing anesthesiologist in my home country. I have 5 journal papers, and some other non-profit work.

I applied to about 250 programs in anesthesiology, surgery, IM and FM.
I got just one interview from an advanced program in anesthesiology. I matched to the advanced program during main match. However I still needed a prelim/transitional match for 2017. I kept calling/mailing/visiting programs and finally I got a transitional program offer yesterday. I am so happy that I never gave up in this entire process. With low step 1 score, ONLY 1 interview, visa requirements, no guidance from my med school (only around match I started looking at forums to get some guidance. thank to you all for that), I achieved this miracle.

I am so excited to look forward to my residencies. Good luck to all of the future aspirants next year and now i can start looking at other posts in this forum (visa/post match/move related :p)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 9 users
Congratulations! Are you a green card holder or will you be hampered by the visa timeline?

Edit: Never mind... I now see your visa comment. Good luck on that step too.

Thanks @PistolPete, yes it is very hard for IMG outside US to secure a post SOAP position. I guess perseverance and some luck for sure paid off.
@Helpful Troll yes visa is the next step now. Need to get documents lined up and speed things.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm glad that you were successful, and that you will be able to continue on in the same specialty that you were in originally! I am glad that you came back to share your story after everything worked out so that others can benefit from your experience.