Final Decision: WesternU vs Roseman

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AllAboutSmiles7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted into these two programs and am left with an incredibly difficult decision!
I know ultimately it's my decision to make, but I would love to hear from as many people who are willing to reach out as possible on their experiences and pros/cons with the programs and why you ultimately chose your school.

When I think about the programs off the top of my head...

WesternU:
-campus in a bit of a not so nice area, but surrounding areas seem wonderful (briefly checked out Claremont)
- California weather with lots of sunshine and plenty to do in LA (but do students have much time to take up those opportunities?)
-New facilities using the latest technology, such as CADCAM, Invisalign certification, anatomage for learning anatomy, etc.
- sim clinic not open on weekends for study
-small community feel with great faculty
-many different teaching styles (good or bad?) with letter grading and semi block style curriculum
- clinical rotations (7 weeks in 4th year and community outreach sprinkled throughout)
-$500 a year for parking on campus
-lots of great options for food and drinks with friends
-Higher cost of living?
- dress professionally every day, white coat in clinic

Roseman:
-in a nice suburban area with beautiful mountains surrounding the state
- long winters from what I've heard but nice summers! (I'm from WA, so I'm used to the short summer life)
- new facilities using the latest technologies
- also extremely wonderful and helpful faculty
- clinic (sim) open on Saturdays for additional practice/study
-"mastery learning model" - block curriculum focuses on 1 didactic and 1 pre clinic for 2-4 weeks with assessments sprinkled throughout and a final at the end. Seems like they have the curriculum set up in a way to really engage with students, make sure they're on track, and learning efficiently!
- students seem to have less stress and more free time
-free parking on campus :p
- not many options for food and drinks with friends?
-Lower cost of living?
-wear scrubs to clinic, also have white coat I think?

Out of my dental education I pretty much just want to go somewhere where I will learn everything without being too overwhelmed alongside some truly awesome people, strong clinical experience (come out feeling confident), have some adventures along the way (taking opportunities to travel/explore), want there to be clubs to become involved in and gain additional skills, possible interest in doing a residency or ortho

Also might just make cost the deciding factor since I think both programs and the people there are great! Roseman's tuition seems higher, but I'm not sure that it actually works out to be more. If you guys have some numbers to throw my way, let me know!

Thanks in advance everybody, this is a very exciting time a majorly difficult decision!

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't worry too much about the newest CAD CAM technologies and such. Chances are when you come out you won't use it. It's way too expensive for a normal small private practice.
Overall, I think it's really a choice of wanting to live between Cali or Utah. Also, cost of living is important.... Personally, I would go with Utah for the non-requirement of professional dress, less stress, lower cost of living, good living area, curriculum learning style mountains, etc.

WesternU.... is cool, living in Cali is cool. Lots of fun places, I'm sure. Letter grades are very stressful imo.

If the COA is close, it's really just choosing b/w would you rather live in Cali or Utah for 4 years.

Reactions: 1 user
From your pros/cons, I feel as though you are leaning towards Roseman. Personally, I would go with Roseman because of the cost of living.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Careful who you take advice from smiles, based on their other posts I am pretty sure ssdds is on the waitlist at WesternU...

That Roseman curriculum sure does sound nice and appealing to me.

At the end of the day though, you'll be a dentist from either school, and chances are that 5-10 years from now (once you've taken plenty of CE courses), the curricula of the dental schools won't matter.

What will matter will be the friends you made, the experiences you had during these four years of your life, and the debt you took on.

So, make a decision based on those factors.

Personally, given that Roseman's tuition is higher AND that Western offers more recreational opportunities, I'd pick Western.

Reactions: 2 users
That Roseman curriculum sure does sound nice and appealing to me.

At the end of the day though, you'll be a dentist from either school, and chances are that 5-10 years from now (once you've taken plenty of CE courses), the curricula of the dental schools won't matter.

What will matter will be the friends you made, the experiences you had during these four years of your life, and the debt you took on.

So, make a decision based on those factors.

Personally, given that Roseman's tuition is higher AND that Western offers more recreational opportunities, I'd pick Western.
What recreational opportunities?

Careful who you take advice from smiles, based on their other posts I am pretty sure ssdds is on the waitlist at WesternU...
I am waitlisted .. but I just gave my two cents.. cost is a big factor in my decision. Given the choice I would pick the cheaper option.

I would go with Utah for the non-requirement of professional dress, less stress, lower cost of living, good living area, curriculum learning style mountains, etc.

WesternU.... is cool, living in Cali is cool. Lots of fun places, I'm sure. Letter grades are very stressful imo.

Those are all factors that I love about Roseman for sure. I'm left wondering if I will enjoy the California or Utah environment more, though.
And I'm getting in touch with a student at Western to see if the curriculum is actually stressful because of that, or if the way the curriculum is set up allows the students to not be as stressed out so much. That really is an important factor to me and could be the major deciding factor.

From what I've been able to gather, tuition and fees for Roseman all 4 years would be about 345k and Western would be about 313k (not factoring in tuition increases, loan fees, or health insurance).
Living off of about $1100 a month at Western brings the total to about 365k while living off of about $750 a month at Roseman would bring the total to about 380k
How much would this 15k difference end up being/meaning in the grand scheme of things?

I'm hoping I can get more insight into the life of students at WesternU to see how I might enjoy living there vs at Roseman.

I should probably decide by tomorrow, so I'm definitely feeling the pressure with this huge decision

Thanks for your insight/opinions!

Why do you say Western?

Well I did interview at western and then was ultimately wait listed so maybe biased. But I think western is less about money and more about providing you experiences. When I think of Roseman in my head I think of the most expensive dental college and most expensive ortho program. So I immediately rule it out as a school I want to go to lax when I think of western I think of a mid level California school which is good, like I'll take it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I interviewed at both as well--I'm currently a D2 at Roseman! I don't consider being in Pomona really having a Cali life because the area is a little sketch. I can only speak on behalf of my school. I love it here--I almost guarantee most people you talk to will use the word "love" too. I had 3 dental school interviews and people didn't seem too happy--but when I interviewed at Roseman people genuinely were happy--not by what they said but you could tell by their faces. I'd go by your gut feeling honestly. They are also pushing every class more than the next--D1's work on composite starting Day 1 in sim clinic, go to actual clinic with patients around April of 1st year, you take Boards end of your first year and everyone always passes. So basically changes are still being made with pushing the curriculum forward each year--this can be a good and bad thing. I can go on and on. There's also lots of opportunity to get involved in clubs--I was an ASDA chair and got to travel to some awesome places. This year I want to do research-- some of my classmates are in sf now because they were selected for the research symposium which I thought was pretty cool. Go with your gut feeling.

Reactions: 2 users
I wouldn't worry too much about the newest CAD CAM technologies and such. Chances are when you come out you won't use it. It's way too expensive for a normal small private practice.

o_O

CAD/CAM technology is going to be widespread, it isn't something that is just going to be in high-tech offices. It's a very practical technology.

Invisalign certification is nothing to boast about though. It is very easy to get certified.

Reactions: 1 users
I interviewed at both as well--I'm currently a D2 at Roseman! I don't consider being in Pomona really having a Cali life because the area is a little sketch. I can only speak on behalf of my school. I love it here--I almost guarantee most people you talk to will use the word "love" too. I had 3 dental school interviews and people didn't seem too happy--but when I interviewed at Roseman people genuinely were happy--not by what they said but you could tell by their faces. I'd go by your gut feeling honestly. They are also pushing every class more than the next--D1's work on composite starting Day 1 in sim clinic, go to actual clinic with patients around April of 1st year, you take Boards end of your first year and everyone always passes. So basically changes are still being made with pushing the curriculum forward each year--this can be a good and bad thing. I can go on and on. There's also lots of opportunity to get involved in clubs--I was an ASDA chair and got to travel to some awesome places. This year I want to do research-- some of my classmates are in sf now because they were selected for the research symposium which I thought was pretty cool. Go with your gut feeling.
Those are the feelings I had as well. And I have officially decided on Roseman! I'm sure I will love it too and can't wait! :)

I have been accepted into these two programs and am left with an incredibly difficult decision!
I know ultimately it's my decision to make, but I would love to hear from as many people who are willing to reach out as possible on their experiences and pros/cons with the programs and why you ultimately chose your school.

When I think about the programs off the top of my head...

WesternU:
-campus in a bit of a not so nice area, but surrounding areas seem wonderful (briefly checked out Claremont)
- California weather with lots of sunshine and plenty to do in LA (but do students have much time to take up those opportunities?)
-New facilities using the latest technology, such as CADCAM, Invisalign certification, anatomage for learning anatomy, etc.
- sim clinic not open on weekends for study
-small community feel with great faculty
-many different teaching styles (good or bad?) with letter grading and semi block style curriculum
- clinical rotations (7 weeks in 4th year and community outreach sprinkled throughout)
-$500 a year for parking on campus
-lots of great options for food and drinks with friends
-Higher cost of living?
- dress professionally every day, white coat in clinic

Roseman:
-in a nice suburban area with beautiful mountains surrounding the state
- long winters from what I've heard but nice summers! (I'm from WA, so I'm used to the short summer life)
- new facilities using the latest technologies
- also extremely wonderful and helpful faculty
- clinic (sim) open on Saturdays for additional practice/study
-"mastery learning model" - block curriculum focuses on 1 didactic and 1 pre clinic for 2-4 weeks with assessments sprinkled throughout and a final at the end. Seems like they have the curriculum set up in a way to really engage with students, make sure they're on track, and learning efficiently!
- students seem to have less stress and more free time
-free parking on campus :p
- not many options for food and drinks with friends?
-Lower cost of living?
-wear scrubs to clinic, also have white coat I think?

Out of my dental education I pretty much just want to go somewhere where I will learn everything without being too overwhelmed alongside some truly awesome people, strong clinical experience (come out feeling confident), have some adventures along the way (taking opportunities to travel/explore), want there to be clubs to become involved in and gain additional skills, possible interest in doing a residency or ortho

Also might just make cost the deciding factor since I think both programs and the people there are great! Roseman's tuition seems higher, but I'm not sure that it actually works out to be more. If you guys have some numbers to throw my way, let me know!

Thanks in advance everybody, this is a very exciting time a majorly difficult decision!

Congratulations on the acceptances. The advice I've seen about not worrying about CADCAM technology because "you'll never use it" is extremely untrue. Please get all of the experience you can with newer technology because when you graduate and are looking for new jobs, more and more dentists are using this technology and will expect of you to have worked with these machines. They are make dentistry more economically efficient and are being utilized by more dentists. Go to the school that will give you more clinical experience.

Those are the feelings I had as well. And I have officially decided on Roseman! I'm sure I will love it too and can't wait! :)

That's awesome! I'll be seeing you on campus then! Also, just to clarify Roseman teaches CAD/CAM technology in depth to first year students; you will be able to prep, scan, and mill your own crowns. Invisalign certification happens third year, this is usually planned out by the class presidency for the past two years and its pretty easy to get certified. And don't quote me on details but people don't use it at school because your initial 3 months(?) of use is 50% off all patients so I think my upperclassman said he's waiting to use it to get discounts for his patients when opens his office.