Final, Complete Neurology Map of Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DandelionWine

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=e...463,50.053711&z=5&iwloc=0004a0d55c140899131b2

This is a more thorough map of Neurology Residencies, as the other one I made was open for editing to the public and was somehow changed to "Neurology and Psychiatry Residencies". This includes only allopathic programs, no osteopathic or military ones. I've made it color-coded as well.

While researching this stuff I found:

57 Categorical Programs
12 Advanced Programs with Guaranteed PGY-1
16 Advanced Programs with "Preference" for PGY-1
36 Advanced Programs with no link for PGY-1

I have 121 programs on my map, and the info I gathered (some assumed) was from FREIDA or the programs website.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Thank you so much! Having the information organized visually like this makes it a lot easier to get a sense for what programs are out there. Out of curiosity, I see that Harvard has two programs. Does anyone know what the major differences are between the program at Partners and the one at Beth Israel?

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome thank you so much DandelionWine for putting this together. This looks great.

I am not that familiar with google maps, but is there an easy way to export the programs their location and the type of program (advanced, caterogical...etc.) into a excel file?

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=e...463,50.053711&z=5&iwloc=0004a0d55c140899131b2

This is a more thorough map of Neurology Residencies, as the other one I made was open for editing to the public and was somehow changed to "Neurology and Psychiatry Residencies". This only includes allopathic programs. I've made it color-coded as well.

56 Categorical Programs
33 Advanced Programs with no link for PGY-1

I have 117 programs on my map, and the info I gathered (some assumed) was from FREIDA or the programs website.

Btw, I was looking at the map and it appears you left off Hopkins. Unless I am missing something?

Big thanks sir....your work will be appreciated for quite long by quite lot of number of people....

And what a good color coding....Stay away from Red....(not literally) !!!

Will be nice if you may also take incharge of updating it in coming times based on input from this post...

I think it's worth a sticky.

+1...

And will be great if original author / someone senior please take in-charge of updating it on a private basis based on input from this sticky post, because if this google map list is left public, people may mix it up...

Last edited:
I've updated the list after going through FREIDA, and yes, I accidentally missed Hopkins. Oops!

I'll update the list if anyone notices any errors, just post here or PM me.

Thanks! I really appreciate you putting this together. :thumbup:

The map shows clearly that there is a clustering of programs on east coast....does west coast really have less number of residency neurology programs ?

Any comments....

The map shows clearly that there is a clustering of programs on east coast....does west coast really have less number of residency neurology programs ?

Any comments....

Yes. EC and midwest have the majority of programs.

Members don't see this ad :)

This is a more thorough map of Neurology Residencies, as the other one I made was open for editing to the public and was somehow changed to "Neurology and Psychiatry Residencies". This includes only allopathic programs, no osteopathic or military ones. I've made it color-coded as well.

57 Categorical Programs

I have 121 programs on my map, and the info I gathered (some assumed) was from FREIDA or the programs website.

Wow..remind me never to stroke out in Montana..

Man, thanks a lot for compiling this information!

Could original author/somebody else may please elaborate on the terms "Guaranteed" and "Preference" ?

And how did the original author got these terms ? Does ERAS specify it ? Or you got it by browsing through the program wesbite ?

57 Categorical Programs

Was searching through FREIDA today. Set filters to Neurology, ERAS, NRMP and doesn't require previous GME (that is only categorical) and it showed only 45 programs.

How were you able to get 57 programs ? Am I missing something here.

Was searching through FREIDA today. Set filters to Neurology, ERAS, NRMP and doesn't require previous GME (that is only categorical) and it showed only 45 programs.

How were you able to get 57 programs ? Am I missing something here.

Pretty sure it skips the 'hybrids' if you do it that way. e.g. Mayo has some Cat and some Adv, but that search doesn't 'find' it as a Cat program...

1. How does the payment system work in a hybrid program ? For example, many program in ERAS list both Advanced and Prelim check box available. So will ERAS charge me for 2 or for 1. (On same line, some program have listed 3 check boxes, namely Categorical, Advanced and Prelim. So will it charge for 3 ?). Need this information to do my budget calculations in advance. Any help will be really appreciated.

2. Also, could OP or somebody please shed light on Guaranteed vs Preference here ? As per my understanding, it is like this - the programs listing Adv and Prelim on ERAS Neurology webpage are "Guaranteed" ones and programs just listing Advanced only are "No link".

But then what is Preference (Did the OP decipher this by going to Program wesbite Application Information, and looking for a given link between Neurology Advanced and Prelim ) ?

Last edited:
I relied on their individual websites to make a judgement as to their classification. I only used FREIDA to find the programs, not organize them.

Some I couldn't figure out, so I guessed.

For example:

Advanced with no PGY-1
LSU @ New Orleans: Is a 3 year advanced program with no mention of preference for applicants completing their PGY-1 year at LSU.

Advanced with preference for PGY-1
UTMB: from their website "gives consideration to our residents for a preliminary first year, but they cannot guarantee such positions", so I labeled it as "Advanced with preference for PGY-1".

Advanced with guaranteed PGY-1
UNM: has "have two preliminary positions" guaranteed for applicants, so although they are advanced, they are in effect categorical.

Hey,
Partners is more sophisticated program than BIDMC.I do not think it stands in the top five neurology list even.But I heard that they have a strong academic program oriented towards residents.
They have strong stroke team both in terms of reputation and work.

Reactions: 1 user
looks like some programs don't even recognize/accept DO's at all ...? (correct me if i'm wrong) ... aw man i totally set on starting DO school this fall. Really interested in neuro but kind of disheartened now :(

looks like some programs don't even recognize/accept DO's at all ...? (correct me if i'm wrong) ... aw man i totally set on starting DO school this fall. Really interested in neuro but kind of disheartened now :(

Many great programs have had/currently have DO's in their neuro programs: Mayo, Hopkins, UMiami, Cleveland Clinic, Duke, Baylor, Vanderbilt...etc. Neurology is pretty open to DO residents compared to other fields. There will probably be some programs not interested in you. But there are many quality programs as well that will train you.

Interesting idea. You guys should upgrade this to a FusionTable. Makes it a lot easier to represent data like this.

Worth checking out...

Also for completeness, the University of South Carolina in Columbia, SC also has a program.

FYI, University of Washington expanded from 5 to 6 positioins a few years ago and is looking to goto 7 soon.

FYI, of the Chicago programs, McGaw, UChicago and Rush all have guaranteed PGY-1 years now.

Aren't there any Neurology residencies in North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho? I think something is missing

Last edited:
Aren't there any Neurology residencies in North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho? I think something is missing

Nope, there aren't. Check Freida.

UW was offering (may still be doing this) in-state tuition to most med students from that region because of the lack of academic institutions in those states. Neurology programs are found primarily at significant academic institutions, so do the math.

i wish this map could be updated.

57 Categorical Programs

Thank you.
Great work!

Someone posted this over on r/medschool and while I don't know if its 100% complete or anything its relatively the same idea. Searchable for all specialties/fellowships though. https://www.medmap.io/

Reactions: 1 users
this post is great!

I noticed that the old map was getting pretty outdated, so I made a new one from scratch. All the info in it is from ERAS and the individual programs' web sites. There were a few cases in which it still wasn't super clear to me whether a program had a linked PGY-1 and had to assume, so if anyone notices any errors, please let me know and I'll correct them.

Enjoy!

This thread (OP quoted above) by @OrangeOrange has an completely updated map detailing which are categorical or joint advanced/prelim, mixed categorical/advanced, and advanced only. Maybe this new map should be stickied instead, vs the one from 2011...
Neurology residency map - updated

Also helpful to use above link in conjunction with the medmap neurology map for completeness and also to see # of spots in each program: Map of Medical Residency and Fellowship Programs

El Paso, Texas has a new neurology program that has been open for a year now (its on ACGME ADS). Just as a head up to you all.

EDIT: Never mind just saw the most recent update to the map.