Feeling like **** part 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thyr0id

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I made a thread a week ago about feeling like **** in medical school, being overwhelmed but I have seem to have found a good study groove. Now another problem has arisen .... I really miss home.

I have been coming back home on the weekends but I find it is making things worse because on sundays, I end up having a mental breakdown and want to just stay home and say **** medical school.

Yes I sound like a little bitch. But I really would like some tips on how to feel less homesick when I am at medical school so I don't have those breakdowns if/when I do end up coming home.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't be so harsh on yourself because you miss home. That makes you human. It happens to a lot of people. I remember my first 2-3 weeks I'd call home every day. Just like the feeling of being overwhelmed, this will pass too.

The trick in med school is to just keep going despite the negative feelings. Everyone I know that did this is about to finish med school. The people that simply give up too early end up missing out on this unique opportunity. Med school gets better as it goes along. You worked very hard to get here. You were selected because you have what it takes to make it through all the challenges.

Reactions: 9 users
Don't be so harsh on yourself because you miss home. That makes you human. It happens to a lot of people. I remember my first 2-3 weeks I'd call home every day. Just like the feeling of being overwhelmed, this will pass too.

The trick in med school is to just keep going despite the negative feelings. Everyone I know that did this is about to finish med school. The people that simply give up too early end up missing out on this unique opportunity. Med school gets better as it goes along. You worked very hard to get here. You were selected because you have what it takes to make it through all the challenges.
Really appreciate the kind words. I keep thinking that to myself, it makes no sense to quit so early after ALL that work I put in to get here. It's like getting called up to the majors from the minor league then quitting.

I am going to try very hard to keep chugging along and hopefully miss home less. Two weeks flew by thus far.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I made a thread a week ago about feeling like **** in medical school, being overwhelmed but I have seem to have found a good study groove. Now another problem has arisen .... I really miss home.

I have been coming back home on the weekends but I find it is making things worse because on sundays, I end up having a mental breakdown and want to just stay home and say **** medical school.

Yes I sound like a little bitch. But I really would like some tips on how to feel less homesick when I am at medical school so I don't have those breakdowns if/when I do end up coming home.

There's nothing wrong with feeling homesick. I felt VERY homesick the first week or so I arrived. I've never been more than 2 hours away from home, and now I am over 12 hours away from home!

What helped me was:

1) Keeping up with activities I enjoyed doing (Gym, Video games, etc.)
2) Finding a group of friends I could hang out with/have support from if things get rough.
3) Talking to my family often (I talk to my mom EVERY DAY)

Reactions: 3 users
imo, the best way to get over this feeling is finding a new set of great friends. Thats what helped me get over the feeling of being alone and being overwhelmed. Just keep reminding yourself that if you're afraid and confused, you're not the only one feeling that in your class; its the normal feeling in medical school

Reactions: 1 user
I also just find myself not being able to get into this stuff. I can learn it, memorize it and understand it. But I find it so boring.

It's not what I thought med school would be like. Hell were disecting a human body and I'm sitting there disinterested.

I also just find myself not being able to get into this stuff. I can learn it, memorize it and understand it. But I find it so boring.

It's not what I thought med school would be like. Hell were disecting a human body and I'm sitting there disinterested.

Maybe it's time to sit down with an advisor/family/mentor and discuss if medical school is the right path for you to take. I mean, I find some stuff in school boring (Genetics, Public Health), but I also really enjoy Anatomy Lab and I'm looking forward to Physiology. Do you really want to be $300k+ in the hole doing something you may hate? This is something to figure out before its too late and you're buried in debt.

Just some food for thought.

Reactions: 2 users
Maybe it's time to sit down with an advisor/family/mentor and discuss if medical school is the right path for you to take. I mean, I find some stuff in school boring (Genetics, Public Health), but I also really enjoy Anatomy Lab and I'm looking forward to Physiology. Do you really want to be $300k+ in the hole doing something you may hate? This is something to figure out before its too late and you're buried in debt.

Just some food for thought.
Ya I appreciate it. I'm going to sit down with a counselor and one of my advisors this week.

Man, I just thought medicine was all I ever wanted but I regret not explorIng other paths for career opportunity.

If anything I'll just stick it out the first semester (6blocks) and see how it goes

Ya I appreciate it. I'm going to sit down with a counselor and one of my advisors this week.

Man, I just thought medicine was all I ever wanted but I regret not explorIng other paths for career opportunity.

If anything I'll just stick it out the first semester (6blocks) and see how it goes
The grass is always greener on the other side. I know a lot of my classmates started to say "I wish I had gone PA. 2 years and you're out." Then I rotated with PA staff and many said "I should have done med school. 2 more years is not really that much time. Residency is a job like a PA out to work."

Try shadowing and see if that helps rekindle something. The main thing that you like the end point, even if you hate the process.

Whoops just realized there is a part two to this conversation...

First of all, I know it happens, but I can't image working this hard to get here and giving up in week 2. Not even just working hard to get here, but this is obviously what you wanted to do for so long. Are you sure being overwhelmed and away from home isn't making you question your choice? I feel like maybe once you get settled and get in your groove, you will feel better. But definitely go talk to someone. Again, as your fellow first year, if you need to reach out to me, let me know. Best of luck and I hope you find what you are looking for :D

Reactions: 1 users
Can't speak to being homesick (been away from home for 5 years now), but as far as feeling depressed or just not motivated I think we all that way. We all come into school riding the high that comes with getting into school and getting that white coat, but three days in you have an oh shoot moment where you feel overwhelmed. I get that way every few days, but the best thing to do is take a little break, watch some TV or whatever, then sit back down and remind yourself of the reasons that made you want to pursue medicine. It's not going to be easy for us, frankly it already sucks, but we wouldn't have gotten in unless we had the ability to become a physician. Hang in there we're all here with ya

Reactions: 4 users
Step 1. seek help because you're honestly in week two of being pretty clearly miserable and anguished.
Step 2. skype with your parents, family, friends, etc.
Step 3. with your freed up mental capacities study better and pass classes. And enjoy them potentially....

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel your pain -- I lived away from my wife and children for 3 years of medical school -- went home on weekends whenever we didn't have an exam the next Monday or when I didn't have to work weekends --- I'd have the car loaded and ready to go so immediately after classes were done, I'd take off for the 1.5 hour drive home which would generally put me home around 6:30 to 7 pm and we'd go out to eat. I'd study Saturday morning until about 11AM and then no more studying until Sunday night -- we'd do family stuff Saturday and then Sunday morning church followed by lunch and grocery shopping together -- but come Sunday around 5pm, I had to load the car, hug/kiss the family and make the 1.5 hour drive back -- it never got easy, I cried all the way back and was very down in the dumps for Sunday night -- usually did my own grocery shopping that evening and then got ready for the next week. It really sucked, especially when my daughter called and asked me to come home those first months -- I couldn't and it hurt -- bad. Now they're almost out on their own and everyone tells me I'm too broke to pay for their college and cars but screw it, I couldn't be around them as much as I wanted while they were growing up and they put up with a lot for Dad to be able to do this --- so if it means I need to work until I fall over dead in clinic to pay everything off, so be it.

It doesn't necessarily get easier but you learn how to deal with it and set goals of when you get to see them next --- I survived medical school in 2 week increments ---

Reactions: 6 users
What helped me was to stop going home. You realize how much you miss your family and how cruddy your life is right now. Just remember it does get better and these crappy couple of years are worth it

I found most of the first year subjects boring. I'm not sure I would have described anatomy lab as "boring," but I certainly hated it lol. This doesn't mean you won't like other subjects later this year/next year or won't enjoy clinical medicine. You're in a rough transition period, and that's fine. It's not necessarily reason to second guess all of your life choices. Hang in there!

It's not just you. Anatomy sucked something awful

Setting up a support group is crucial. You're not the only one feeling this way, so find some people you enjoy hanging out with and commiserate.

Appreciate all the advice and kind words. We started talking about biochemistry and I felt right at home again lol. I think I wasn't just stressed out from being away from home and not being comfortable in my appartment. I decided r find a new appartment where I feel comfortable and just keep on chugging along! First testis on Friday time to kill it!

I found that I was slightly depressed going home last weekend and it ****ed me up for my quizzes on Monday. If your mind isn't right your test scores suffer :/.

A) Make friends
B) stay busy
C) Go home less. You need the time for study and not traveling.

As a teaching moment, this is why we ask about support groups in interviews.

[QUOTE="Thyr0id, post: 19211681, member: 643858]

I found that I was slightly depressed going home last weekend and it ****ed me up for my quizzes on Monday. If your mind isn't right your test scores suffer :/.[/QUOTE]

See my post on that. Ask yourself what the source of your happiness is. Maintain that source of happiness as reward for studying hard.

See my post on that. Ask yourself what the source of your happiness is. Maintain that source of happiness as reward for studying hard.

It sucks when you're still trying to find that source (*raises hand*). Especially when you're in an area that doesn't have the facilities for activities you enjoy recreationally.

Oh well. That's life. Time to find some new hobbies, I guess.....[/QUOTE]

1. tinder
2. gym
3. tinder while at gym

build new friendships. meet people. discover more about yourself

LOL. I've never had much luck with Tinder. I'll Agree on the gym part though.

Grinding through the process (pre-clinical coursework)is usually hard at first. Not in medical school yet but I wish you guys/gals success on your journey. ugh

LOL. I've never had much luck with Tinder. I'll Agree on the gym part though.
just swipe on everyone and you're sure to meet someone interesting lol. Even the worst tinder dates makes for an interesting story/experience later. When I was a first year and did tinder at the time, I had so many bad dates. But they made great stories and I look back laughing at my experiences.

Sorry you are feeling this way OP, I personally haven't felt homesick but my wife definitely has and I've had to help her through it many a night. It can be hard being away from family when you haven't been before and I would suggest the same thing to you that I told my wife, and that is to find a group of friends/support group that are going through the same experiences. My wife has discovered a group of doctors/resident/med student spouses that get together and do things and it has really helped her a lot. Especially because some of the other people have experienced what she is going through. Odds are there are lots of people at your school feeling this way, try and make some friends, build that circle because you and your classmates are all in it together. Also reach out to your second year mentor (I really hope your school gives you one...), mine has been a big help with the transition.

Good luck OP! At the very least your SDN peeps will always be here.

A) Make friends
B) stay busy

The hardest time for me was saturday/Sunday late afternoon early evening when I had to stay at school. Everyone else was out and about and I was by myself...a lot...burned out on studying for the day with time to think. It's why I don't go to Great Outdoors subs anymore. Would go there to eat and hang out....alone....

A) Make friends
B) stay busy

Well I mean I study still on the weekend while at home, I ended up acing those quizes on Monday and have been studying hard all week for our friday exam. I am really tempted to go home this weekend but I am trying my hardest not to. My girlfriend said she is going to come visit me so I am working hard , trying to study now so I can spend some time with her over the weekend up here .

Attachments

• upload_2017-8-17_14-11-48.png
    upload_2017-8-17_14-11-48.png
    534.2 KB · Views: 45
not sure why it uploaded a figure from my immunology lecture but it did.... alrighty lol

Well I mean I study still on the weekend while at home, I ended up acing those quizes on Monday and have been studying hard all week for our friday exam. I am really tempted to go home this weekend but I am trying my hardest not to. My girlfriend said she is going to come visit me so I am working hard , trying to study now so I can spend some time with her over the weekend up here .
Gawd...T cells! It's all alphabet soup!

I stop at the level of thymus and spleen, thank you very much.

Gawd...T cells! It's all alphabet soup!

I stop at the level of thymus and spleen, thank you very much.

Not my immuno professor. He has a love affair with IL-10...

Well had my first exam today, scored a 90 on it. Killed it. It feels odd that I won't be going home after anatomy lab, I'm getting those feeling of homesickness hardcore today.