NHSC Federal Loans Prior to Payment of NHSC Scholarship Award

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Skis

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the process for covering the "transitionary period" before the NHSC scholarship funds (and stipend) are distributed in October? For example, did you have to take out federal loans to pay tuition and living expenses initially and then use the stipend amount to pay down the accrued interest and origination fees on the federal loans?

Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

I talked to my medical school's financial aid services about that, and while I didn't understand all the details, they said this is a common occurrence each year. They said to take out loans while I am waiting to hear back from the NHSC and then the scholarship would pay back those loans. I didn't understand how it works with taking out loans for living expenses when the scholarship only pays for tuition but gives a monthly stipend for living expenses, but they said that somehow it works out.

Sorry I don't know more than that, but I would contact your school's financial aid office for more details.

Reactions: 1 user