FAQ: What are my chances?

Discussion in 'Radiology' started by hans19, May 19, 2006.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. entrepreneurMD

entrepreneurMD 2+ Year Member

Feb 28, 2014
    Massachusetts
    very low consider taking 2-3 years off

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. recycledpaper

recycledpaper 5+ Year Member

Jul 20, 2010
    What a terrible POS resume. Go back to primary care, scrub.

Ibn Alnafis MD likes this.
  4. knosway14

knosway14

Jun 30, 2015
    maybe if you are lucky you get into a community program

5. Split Infinity

Split Infinity 2+ Year Member

Aug 7, 2012
    OKAY sorry for being neurotic

6. java64

java64 2+ Year Member

Dec 22, 2012
    MS3 who just decided

Medical School: Top 25
    Step 1: 260
    Step 2: will take after applications are in
    Clinical: All HP so far (Surgery, Neuro, Psych, IM, FM). Most likely will HP Peds and Ob-Gyn
    Pre-Clinical: P/F unranked
    Research: 2 middle author papers. 1 from undergrad(medical device), 1 from med school(cancer/path).
    Extracurriculars: Leadership in 2 school clubs, music
    LOR: 1 from research mentor, will try to pick up 1-2 letters from my medicine Sub-I in in the summer.

My question is mainly about the amount and type of radiology experience that I should have on my application, and where to focus my efforts since I don't have a lot of time. Should I try to get on a radiology research project now? Do an early elective in 4th and try to get a letter? Just a little lost on how to proceed.

I would also appreciate advice on type and location of programs to target. I have ties to the west coast and go to school in the mid-west.

7. radnonymous

radnonymous

Aug 10, 2016
    This thread is sort of a waste of time in its current form. The only thing it does is potentially reveal your stats and identity on a public forum. IMO you are better off finding a radiology advisor at your school or people who matched radiology in the class above yours (even this is not 100% fool-proof as the application environment can change yearly). The new thread with the Rad advisor is probably more helpful because it gives you an insider's perspective on how decisions are made at least at one program. Most people on here cannot reliably tell you which specific programs to target and unless you are strapped for cash, it probably makes sense to apply conservatively.

General rule of thumb for those of you from "Top X" school +/- great board scores: Apply to the "tops" if you're into that sort of thing, you have a serious advantage at those places (but you probably already knew that).

General rule of thumb for those of you with "late interest in rads/no research": You'll be fine. Set the beginning of your 4th year accordingly so that you can speak about rads intelligently +/- an away +/- poster or case report if you really want to.

General rule of thumb for everyone: A dose of common sense goes a long way. Apply to some reaches, mostly good fits, some safeties. After 33 pages of examples and the latest charting outcomes data, you should have a general idea of what these are for you. Good luck.