FAQ: What are my chances?

Discussion in 'Radiology' started by hans19, May 19, 2006.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. entrepreneurMD

entrepreneurMD 2+ Year Member

Feb 28, 2014
    Massachusetts
    very low consider taking 2-3 years off

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. recycledpaper

recycledpaper 7+ Year Member

Jul 20, 2010
    What a terrible POS resume. Go back to primary care, scrub.

Apoplexy__ and Ibn Alnafis MD like this.
  4. knosway14

knosway14 2+ Year Member

Jun 30, 2015
    maybe if you are lucky you get into a community program

5. Split Infinity

Split Infinity 2+ Year Member

Aug 7, 2012
    OKAY sorry for being neurotic

6. java64

java64 2+ Year Member

Dec 22, 2012
    MS3 who just decided

Medical School: Top 25
    Step 1: 260
    Step 2: will take after applications are in
    Clinical: All HP so far (Surgery, Neuro, Psych, IM, FM). Most likely will HP Peds and Ob-Gyn
    Pre-Clinical: P/F unranked
    Research: 2 middle author papers. 1 from undergrad(medical device), 1 from med school(cancer/path).
    Extracurriculars: Leadership in 2 school clubs, music
    LOR: 1 from research mentor, will try to pick up 1-2 letters from my medicine Sub-I in in the summer.

My question is mainly about the amount and type of radiology experience that I should have on my application, and where to focus my efforts since I don't have a lot of time. Should I try to get on a radiology research project now? Do an early elective in 4th and try to get a letter? Just a little lost on how to proceed.

I would also appreciate advice on type and location of programs to target. I have ties to the west coast and go to school in the mid-west.

7. radnonymous

radnonymous

Aug 10, 2016
    This thread is sort of a waste of time in its current form. The only thing it does is potentially reveal your stats and identity on a public forum. IMO you are better off finding a radiology advisor at your school or people who matched radiology in the class above yours (even this is not 100% fool-proof as the application environment can change yearly). The new thread with the Rad advisor is probably more helpful because it gives you an insider's perspective on how decisions are made at least at one program. Most people on here cannot reliably tell you which specific programs to target and unless you are strapped for cash, it probably makes sense to apply conservatively.

General rule of thumb for those of you from "Top X" school +/- great board scores: Apply to the "tops" if you're into that sort of thing, you have a serious advantage at those places (but you probably already knew that).

General rule of thumb for those of you with "late interest in rads/no research": You'll be fine. Set the beginning of your 4th year accordingly so that you can speak about rads intelligently +/- an away +/- poster or case report if you really want to.

General rule of thumb for everyone: A dose of common sense goes a long way. Apply to some reaches, mostly good fits, some safeties. After 33 pages of examples and the latest charting outcomes data, you should have a general idea of what these are for you. Good luck.

8. CyberMaxx

CyberMaxx Doing math in pen 7+ Year Member

Dec 6, 2008
    Carrel 118
    I get where you're coming from but I think people are going to always want a personalized opinion about their application and chances. This is exemplified (albeit somewhat annoyingly) by the fact that there are people posting with 260+ Step 1 scores from top schools with relevant research still wanting advice - even though they likely realize how competitive they really are.

I know it gets repetitive when you have been on SDN for a long time and you see these 'What are My Chances' posts constantly, but the advice that the community provides for people looking for insight really does provide a lot of help (for posters and lurkers alike) and is part of what makes this forum so popular. Beyond that there are always people who really are uninformed when it comes to applying, have been given horrible advice by their school advisors, or have truly unique circumstances. The landscape changes over time too. As long as there are residents and attendings willing to contribute to this thread, I think it is still tremendously helpful for everyone thinking of going into rads.

mTORC likes this.
  9. Dr. USMLE

Dr. USMLE USMLE tutor Lifetime Donor 5+ Year Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Physician
    Faculty
    I agree. It definitely provides value and there is unique, actionable advice in some cases.

10. rrxr

rrxr 5+ Year Member

Apr 7, 2011

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  11. AntonFreeman

AntonFreeman 7+ Year Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Medical School: low tier MD
    Step 1: 248
    Step 2: pending
    Clinical: all passes in H/HP/P/F
    Pre-Clinical: mostly HP, few honors
    Research: none
    Extracurriculars: some community service and student government stuff.

looking to go back to west coast, how competitive are community programs in california? like cedars, kaiser? ucla harbor?

12. Masterchiefcell

Masterchiefcell 2+ Year Member

Oct 7, 2014
    Mid tier MD in Texas
    Step 1:252
    Step 2 :pending
    Preclinical grades: mostly honors with one pass and one high pass
    Clinical grades: 50/50 split between pass and high pass. Will likely honor surgery but if not definitely high pass. HP in IM already.
    Research: Very sparse. One non rads related project between ms1-2, one dads case report which may/may not get published.
    ECs: lots of outside interests. A few mentoring, leadership positions but nothing too spectacular.

Looking to get into Texas/nearby schools. UTSW would be great, but I think it may be a little but of a long shot now. Would also love UT Houston, Baylor houston or dallas, and any of the nearby programs. Wouldn't be too pumped to get into a smaller community program, but would be open to it if it was a good fit.

13. Masterchiefcell

Masterchiefcell 2+ Year Member

Oct 7, 2014
    Didn't mean to put that face in there lol not sure what happened

14. clutch21

clutch21 5+ Year Member

Apr 23, 2012
    I think you'll have a good shot at getting an interview at all the Texas programs. UTSW would be the toughest, but I don't think an interview would be a stretch for you. Most the Texas programs are quite strong so it's hard to go wrong by staying in state.

15. radiodochopeful

radiodochopeful

May 22, 2017
    MS3

Medical School: DO School
    Step 1: 225
    Step 2: 242
    Clinical: All Honors
    Pre-Clinical: Top Quartile
    Research: 7 middle author papers in general surgery, meetings, poster presentations, multiple radiology case reports.
    Extracurriculars: Officer in honor society, class treasurer
    LOR: 2 letters from top radiology program (PD letter/Faculty) and 2 letters from other faculty in highly ranked programs in other fields.

Pretty worried about the increasing difficulty of matching into diagnostic radiology - what are my honest chances of matching at a mid tier program (anywhere)? Will obviously apply very broadly and I'm sure the letters will help to some degree, but wanted the SDN evaluation.

16. I'm no expert but I'll offer my opinion.

Your step1 is kinda low, and I'm sure you agree. However, you made up for it with your step2 performance. Also, you have a good number of research involvements as well as solid letters. I think, overall, you have a a good package to get you many interviews if you apply broadly and wisely. I've talked to several DOs who matched this year and a handful of them have same or lower step1, but they were able to overcome this adversary with other aspects of their application and by applying to many community programs.

17. radiodochopeful

radiodochopeful

May 22, 2017
    Thank you. Do you think I should be looking at a back up specialty in case I don't match or should I be safe as long as my application is broad?

18. If you are geographically restricted, then yes. However, if you are welling wherever you match despite location/program reputation then you will match.

DR is competitive but there are a good number of community programs that, historically, have relied on FMGs to fill their spots. Such programs would be good safety net for you. With your numbers and research experience, I'd target mid-tier programs and include a good number of safeties as well.

19. radiodochopeful

radiodochopeful

May 22, 2017
    Thank you so much for your help!!

20. Domino2178

Domino2178 2+ Year Member

Mar 24, 2013
    Advice appreciated <3

Mid tier MD
    Step 1: 245
    Step 2CK: Pending
    Clerkship grades: Rads grade pending, H family, P in everything else (H/P/F scale) - AOA doubtful
    Research: 3 posters, 2 abstracts - all non-rads

Was all setup to apply into ENT (have 3 AIs already secured, starting next week). Just finished DR/IR rotation, and realized it's a much better fit for me personally/professionally. Really interested in integrated IR, but given the competitiveness, willing to do DR -> independent IR. My concerns are:

1) ENT seems like a much more stable field when you hear about things like deep learning/CRISPR/turf wars, despite many radiologists on SDN and reddit saying its not gonna happen in my career lifetime (which I agree with).

2) I've built strong connections with ENT dept at home and at my aways, so I feel like I have a good chance of matching at these desirable programs (assuming my rotations go well), despite not being a "260/260 AOA 10 pubs demigod" applicant. Not sure how a last-minute switch to DR/IR with my stats would affect my chances at strong IR/DR programs, and tbh I'd rather do ENT at a decent academic center than go to a bad community DR program (no offense to those who do).

3) Would dual-apply, but I don't have enough time to do AIs and get enough LORs in both fields before ERAS goes in.

21. Rads312

Rads312 SDN Bronze Donor Bronze Donor

Apr 23, 2016

Hey,

So what will hurt you is the fact that you have completed residency and have been funded for 3 years according to ACGME rules. This means you will not get funding for ANY of your radiology years. The rule of thumb is you are awarded funding for the # of years of your original specialty, I believe. I know this because I did 2 years in another specialty and applied into radiology - my program / hospital had to pay out of pocket for my last 2 years of training, as my original specialty was only 4 years in length. ( 4-2 = 2 years left of funding). Some PD's may not know this ( Mine didn't till the last minute, luckily she's a nice person who worked with the hospital to help fund my training ) - But those who do will steer clear. Your scores are not amazing ( below average still for radiology ) , and your'e a foreign grad. Rads has been slightly more IMG friendly, but moreso at smaller community programs that won't have the kind of money to fund your position...Given all that, you've still got a shot. You never know until you try. Good luck.

22. Rads312

Rads312 SDN Bronze Donor Bronze Donor

Apr 23, 2016
    Deep learning is about to replace radiologists as much as the davinci robot was set to replace surgeons. It will be a tool we use - I believe Radiologists will be the gatekeepers at the hospital for this technology..at least for the next 20 years or so. Maybe more. That given, so many subspecialties within radiology, MSK, Breast, IR, are pretty buffered from this - even if Robot overlords are independently reading studies in our lifetime.

Every field has setbacks and issues...Remember a few years back when everyone was convinced radiology was getting outsourced? Didn't happen. I'm not saying threats don't exist - they do. But they exist in all fields. Primary care docs have midlevel encroachment like crazy. Anesthesia has CRNA's. There are NP's working more and more in the ER's. Optometrists have been inching their way into ophtho territory for years. Derm NP's are allowed to practice independently in some states...

Radiology is an incredible field. You're making the right decision. Also, i'd much rather be replaced by a robot than a nurse. just saying'.

23. theprince911

theprince911 2+ Year Member

Oct 21, 2014
    Hi everyone,
    I was actually a general surgery hopeful and didn't match last cycle. Since then I've been doing a lot of soul searching and researching and found out that I would be equally happy, if not moreso, in a career in radiology. My plan would be to apply to DR, and then go into either neurorads or IR. I've always been very strong with anatomy, and I especially love teaching it, which is why I was initially interested in surgery. I feel that I would have a better opportunity to teach students one-on-one in radiology, as well as constantly be solving anatomical puzzles.

School: Went to medical school in south Asia, and am a US-IMG, YOG late 2015
    Step 1: 241
    Step 2 CK: 240
    CS: Pass
    ECFMG certified
    Letters: All of my letters are from surgeons. I'm pretty worried about this, especially as one is from the chief of our surgery department abroad. I am attempting to do a rotation in radiology as well as family medicine/internal medicine to round out my letters a bit before I reapply.
    Clinical grades: I performed pretty well, but my school grades out of 10. Most of my grades were 7+/10, with some that were 8-9s like orthopedic and neurosurgery, general surgery, etc. I also have 3 months of USCE in surgery, which I performed very well in as per my evaluations and letters.
    Grades: nothing special, probably in the lower half of my class
    Research: one project I completed and presented while I was in medical school for a different field. I was the principal investigator but we never published.

I have been looking for research positions and clinical experience since applying for the last Match, to no avail. So I have taken to studying for Step 3 and teaching anatomy to medical students online while I wait to reapply.

I really don't care where I end up - no geographic restriction. I plan to apply everywhere I can.

Thank you for your help

24. alphax0

alphax0 5+ Year Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Hi, I am an MD reapplicant from 2017. Originally thought ENT or pathology but thought radiology suited me the best. I decided late on radiology and didn't have as many curriculars in radiology to support my application. I received 17 interviews total went on 12 and ranked 11. Originally from the west coast I think I may have overshot geographically trying to get back home. Received interviews and ranked 5 West Coast programs at the top of my list. I only matched to preliminary year in IM. On the interview trail, I had a program tell me he had no doubt I would match somewhere and others said I had a great app so match day was a surprise for me. Any suggestions for programs in my level of competitiveness? Was hoping to at least get into a mid tier academic center.

School: Northeast State School (Mid?)
    Step 1: 236
    Step 2 CK: 236
    CS: Pass, first try
    Letters: One from chair of radiology, Strong letter from my research mentor, Strong clinical from Family Medicine, planning on getting another from preliminary IM program, possibly get one from my preliminary radiology department?
    Clinical grades: Probably my biggest weakness, pass Medicine, Family medicine, OB/GYN, High pass in Surgery, Psych, Peds (No honors), Honors in radiology rotation with the chair
    Fourth quintile in class rank, school weighs shelves heavily. (Did well in the first 2 years, but hit a wall with the shelves)
    Research: 2 publications, one 4th author from working as a lab manager prior to medical school, one first author manuscript during summer research that I also presented with a poster. Another abstract/poster presentation in pathology published in USCAP 2016 received a pathology scholarship to work on the project. Worked on an unpublished case report with an ENT as first author. Graduated with research honors though no work in radiology.

25. RadsWannabe

RadsWannabe

Jun 16, 2017
    School: MD in Texas
    Preclinical: Pass
    Clinical: Half honors, half passes
    Step 1: 230
    Step 2: studying right now
    Research: 1 case report
    ECs: Average officer positions.

Wanting to stay in Texas, but not sure if my Step score will allow for that. Which schools do you think I have a shot at?

26. ghostzebra12

ghostzebra12

Jun 16, 2017
    You should get interviews at most of the Texas programs with those stats, and being instate. Your obvious reaches will be Baylor-Dallas and UTSW. You should have a very good shot at UT-San Antonio, Scott and White, and UTMB. I know the Houston residencies have pretty large classes so you should have a pretty good shot at interviews for UT Houston and Baylor.

27. expletve

expletve 7+ Year Member

Jan 4, 2009
    School: mid tier MD
    Clinical: 3 H, 3 HP
    Step 1: ~250
    Step 2: ~275
    Research: 6 pubs, 1 poster, all before medical school; none in radiology

Without radiology research, what are my chances at powerhouse places like MGH, JHU, Penn? How many places should I be applying to?

28. chromuffin

chromuffin

Jan 24, 2017
    School: mid tier MD(top 50)? But top 40 NIH
    Step 1: 218
    Step 2: not taken
    Pre-clinical: P in all but 1 HP (H/HP/P/F system)
    Clinical: current 3rd year on 1st rotation
    Research: 1 research experience, not related (oncology)

Feeling like a failure after I just got back my step score today. Wanting to practice in the SW (AZ, NM) area but have no ties. Felt like I did poorly on Step 1 due to time constraints but who knows the real reason.

29. scotchandsoda

scotchandsoda

Jun 28, 2017
    My last rotation was my Psych rotation and I do not think I could do that at all. I Was initially thinking Psych, so I am making a late switch to radiology(which I did enjoy more than anything else)

Medical School: Mid Tier
    Step 1: ~240 (lower end)
    Step 2: ~220 (lower end) --> I had some family issues going on, scored around 245 on my practice test and just wanted to get it over with to deal with those issues. Should Have pushed back, but can't change it that anymore.

Clinical: H: Radiology, Psych, Family, HP: Surg, IM, OB GYN, Neuro P: Peds and waiting for grades for Radiology elective and Sub-I (Med)
    Pre-Clinical: 2 H rest Ps at H/P/F
    Research: 5 research experiences (not radiology related, some were undergraduate) + 1 case report for IR that I am going to submit soon (1st Author)
    Extracurriculars: Leadership in multiple clubs, including on Community service oriented but no radiology groups
    LOR: 1 from Radiology Clerkship director, 1 from Medicine Sub-I, 1 from either neurology or family medicine

I go to school in the Northeast and I have a lot of geographic ties on the East Coast. I know my step 2 does not help me at all, but I just hope it does not close the door on my chances of matching into a mid-tier academic program in a city.

Do not think I will be applying DR/IR, but I have my IR rotation coming up.

Couples matching with my partner who applying to a non-competitive residency

How many programs should I apply to and do I bring up my step score at all?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  30. GVSULakers9456

GVSULakers9456 2+ Year Member

May 14, 2014
    Figured I would bump this up again as we're coming up to the deadline.

School: Unranked MD school in midwest
    Step 1: 233
    Step 2: Not taken yet
    Grades: Mix of pass/honors in M1/M2. Mix of P and HP (no Honors) in M3 year. Good CPEs.
    Research: Some posters from undergrad, not medicine. First author pub in med school, not in radiology.
    ECs: E-board positions in a couple orgs, including the radiology group

Looking at mid-tier academic institutions in the midwest and east coast. I know my Step 1 is not great and my clinical grades are mediocre. Trying to do well on Step 2. No other research planned but trying to get on some projects. What are my chances here?

31. BeaHero

BeaHero

Dec 30, 2015
    Medical School: mid tier MD
    Step 1: 239
    Step 2: pending
    Clinical: Just started M3
    Pre-Clinical: 50/50 mix between HP and Honors
    Research: 3 mid-author manuscripts. 4 abstracts (One 2nd author). 1 research presentation at a major conference. None radiology related. Mostly oncology and public health.
    Extracurriculars: 1 leadership position. Volunteered at a couple of health fairs

Hoping to stay in the midwest/uppersouth (Cincy, Indy, OSU, Lousiville, etc.)