FAQ: What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Medical School: low tier MD
Step 1: 248
Step 2: pending
Clinical: all passes in H/HP/P/F
Pre-Clinical: mostly HP, few honors
Research: none
Extracurriculars: some community service and student government stuff.

looking to go back to west coast, how competitive are community programs in california? like cedars, kaiser? ucla harbor?

Members don't see this ad.

Mid tier MD in Texas
Step 1:252
Step 2 :pending
Preclinical grades: mostly honors with one pass and one high pass
Clinical grades: 50/50 split between pass and high pass. Will likely honor surgery but if not definitely high pass. HP in IM already.
Research: Very sparse. One non rads related project between ms1-2, one dads case report which may/may not get published.
ECs: lots of outside interests. A few mentoring, leadership positions but nothing too spectacular.

Looking to get into Texas/nearby schools. UTSW would be great, but I think it may be a little but of a long shot now. Would also love UT Houston, Baylor houston or dallas, and any of the nearby programs. Wouldn't be too pumped to get into a smaller community program, but would be open to it if it was a good fit.

Mid tier MD in Texas
Step 1:252
Step 2 :pending
Preclinical grades: mostly honors with one pass and one high pass
Clinical grades: 50/50 split between pass and high pass. Will likely honor surgery but if not definitely high pass. HP in IM already.
Research: Very sparse. One non rads related project between ms1-2, one dads case report which may/may not get published.
ECs: lots of outside interests. A few mentoring, leadership positions but nothing too spectacular.

Looking to get into Texas/nearby schools. UTSW would be great, but I think it may be a little but of a long shot now. Would also love UT Houston, Baylor houston or dallas, and any of the nearby programs. Wouldn't be too pumped to get into a smaller community program, but would be open to it if it was a good fit.
Didn't mean to put that face in there lol not sure what happened

Members don't see this ad :)
Didn't mean to put that face in there lol not sure what happened

I think you'll have a good shot at getting an interview at all the Texas programs. UTSW would be the toughest, but I don't think an interview would be a stretch for you. Most the Texas programs are quite strong so it's hard to go wrong by staying in state.

MS3

Medical School: DO School
Step 1: 225
Step 2: 242
Clinical: All Honors
Pre-Clinical: Top Quartile
Research: 7 middle author papers in general surgery, meetings, poster presentations, multiple radiology case reports.
Extracurriculars: Officer in honor society, class treasurer
LOR: 2 letters from top radiology program (PD letter/Faculty) and 2 letters from other faculty in highly ranked programs in other fields.

Pretty worried about the increasing difficulty of matching into diagnostic radiology - what are my honest chances of matching at a mid tier program (anywhere)? Will obviously apply very broadly and I'm sure the letters will help to some degree, but wanted the SDN evaluation.

MS3

Medical School: DO School
Step 2: 242
Clinical: All Honors
Pre-Clinical: Top Quartile
Research: 7 middle author papers in general surgery, meetings, poster presentations, multiple radiology case reports.
Extracurriculars: Officer in honor society, class treasurer
LOR: 2 letters from top radiology program (PD letter/Faculty) and 2 letters from other faculty in highly ranked programs in other fields.

Pretty worried about the increasing difficulty of matching into diagnostic radiology - what are my honest chances of matching at a mid tier program (anywhere)? Will obviously apply very broadly and I'm sure the letters will help to some degree, but wanted the SDN evaluation.
I'm no expert but I'll offer my opinion.

Your step1 is kinda low, and I'm sure you agree. However, you made up for it with your step2 performance. Also, you have a good number of research involvements as well as solid letters. I think, overall, you have a a good package to get you many interviews if you apply broadly and wisely. I've talked to several DOs who matched this year and a handful of them have same or lower step1, but they were able to overcome this adversary with other aspects of their application and by applying to many community programs.

I'm no expert but I'll offer my opinion.

Your step1 is kinda low, and I'm sure you agree. However, you made up for it with your step2 performance. Also, you have a good number of research involvements as well as solid letters. I think, overall, you have a a good package to get you many interviews if you apply broadly and wisely. I've talked to several DOs who matched this year and a handful of them have same or lower step1, but they were able to overcome this adversary with other aspects of their application and by applying to many community programs.

Thank you. Do you think I should be looking at a back up specialty in case I don't match or should I be safe as long as my application is broad?

Thank you. Do you think I should be looking at a back up specialty in case I don't match or should I be safe as long as my application is broad?
If you are geographically restricted, then yes. However, if you are welling wherever you match despite location/program reputation then you will match.

DR is competitive but there are a good number of community programs that, historically, have relied on FMGs to fill their spots. Such programs would be good safety net for you. With your numbers and research experience, I'd target mid-tier programs and include a good number of safeties as well.

If you are geographically restricted, then yes. However, if you are welling wherever you match despite location/program reputation then you will match.

DR is competitive but there are a good number of community programs that, historically, have relied on FMGs to fill their spots. Such programs would be good safety net for you. With your numbers and research experience, I'd target mid-tier programs and include a good number of safeties as well.

Thank you so much for your help!!

Advice appreciated <3

Mid tier MD
Step 1: 245
Step 2CK: Pending
Clerkship grades: Rads grade pending, H family, P in everything else (H/P/F scale) - AOA doubtful
Research: 3 posters, 2 abstracts - all non-rads

Was all setup to apply into ENT (have 3 AIs already secured, starting next week). Just finished DR/IR rotation, and realized it's a much better fit for me personally/professionally. Really interested in integrated IR, but given the competitiveness, willing to do DR -> independent IR. My concerns are:

1) ENT seems like a much more stable field when you hear about things like deep learning/CRISPR/turf wars, despite many radiologists on SDN and reddit saying its not gonna happen in my career lifetime (which I agree with).

2) I've built strong connections with ENT dept at home and at my aways, so I feel like I have a good chance of matching at these desirable programs (assuming my rotations go well), despite not being a "260/260 AOA 10 pubs demigod" applicant. Not sure how a last-minute switch to DR/IR with my stats would affect my chances at strong IR/DR programs, and tbh I'd rather do ENT at a decent academic center than go to a bad community DR program (no offense to those who do).

3) Would dual-apply, but I don't have enough time to do AIs and get enough LORs in both fields before ERAS goes in.

Hi all.

I am a primary care physician who always had a passion for radiology. I am seriously thinking to apply for the radiology residency program.

Medical School: Top 10 medical school, India
I passed every year in the the medical school for 5 years with distinction (as NRI) (I was under the Top 5)
Step 1: 220
Step 2: 249
Step 3: 233

Residency: 3 years family medicine residency in New York
During residency: surgical award
now: working 7 years as primary care physician

LoR: during medical school (gynaecologist, internist, cardiologist, primary care physicians), during residency (program director, thoracic surgeon, primary care physician) now (co-physicians, gastroenterologist)

Research: I did few during my residency but were not published

Thank you for your honest replies.

Hey,

So what will hurt you is the fact that you have completed residency and have been funded for 3 years according to ACGME rules. This means you will not get funding for ANY of your radiology years. The rule of thumb is you are awarded funding for the # of years of your original specialty, I believe. I know this because I did 2 years in another specialty and applied into radiology - my program / hospital had to pay out of pocket for my last 2 years of training, as my original specialty was only 4 years in length. ( 4-2 = 2 years left of funding). Some PD's may not know this ( Mine didn't till the last minute, luckily she's a nice person who worked with the hospital to help fund my training ) - But those who do will steer clear. Your scores are not amazing ( below average still for radiology ) , and your'e a foreign grad. Rads has been slightly more IMG friendly, but moreso at smaller community programs that won't have the kind of money to fund your position...Given all that, you've still got a shot. You never know until you try. Good luck.

Advice appreciated <3

Mid tier MD
Step 2CK: Pending
Clerkship grades: Rads grade pending, H family, P in everything else (H/P/F scale) - AOA doubtful
Research: 3 posters, 2 abstracts - all non-rads

Was all setup to apply into ENT (have 3 AIs already secured, starting next week). Just finished DR/IR rotation, and realized it's a much better fit for me personally/professionally. Really interested in integrated IR, but given the competitiveness, willing to do DR -> independent IR. My concerns are:

1) ENT seems like a much more stable field when you hear about things like deep learning/CRISPR/turf wars, despite many radiologists on SDN and reddit saying its not gonna happen in my career lifetime (which I agree with).

2) I've built strong connections with ENT dept at home and at my aways, so I feel like I have a good chance of matching at these desirable programs (assuming my rotations go well), despite not being a "260/260 AOA 10 pubs demigod" applicant. Not sure how a last-minute switch to DR/IR with my stats would affect my chances at strong IR/DR programs, and tbh I'd rather do ENT at a decent academic center than go to a bad community DR program (no offense to those who do).

3) Would dual-apply, but I don't have enough time to do AIs and get enough LORs in both fields before ERAS goes in.

Deep learning is about to replace radiologists as much as the davinci robot was set to replace surgeons. It will be a tool we use - I believe Radiologists will be the gatekeepers at the hospital for this technology..at least for the next 20 years or so. Maybe more. That given, so many subspecialties within radiology, MSK, Breast, IR, are pretty buffered from this - even if Robot overlords are independently reading studies in our lifetime.

Every field has setbacks and issues...Remember a few years back when everyone was convinced radiology was getting outsourced? Didn't happen. I'm not saying threats don't exist - they do. But they exist in all fields. Primary care docs have midlevel encroachment like crazy. Anesthesia has CRNA's. There are NP's working more and more in the ER's. Optometrists have been inching their way into ophtho territory for years. Derm NP's are allowed to practice independently in some states...

Radiology is an incredible field. You're making the right decision. Also, i'd much rather be replaced by a robot than a nurse. just saying'.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I am an MD reapplicant from 2017. Originally thought ENT or pathology but thought radiology suited me the best. I decided late on radiology and didn't have as many curriculars in radiology to support my application. I received 17 interviews total went on 12 and ranked 11. Originally from the west coast I think I may have overshot geographically trying to get back home. Received interviews and ranked 5 West Coast programs at the top of my list. I only matched to preliminary year in IM. On the interview trail, I had a program tell me he had no doubt I would match somewhere and others said I had a great app so match day was a surprise for me. Any suggestions for programs in my level of competitiveness? Was hoping to at least get into a mid tier academic center.

School: Northeast State School (Mid?)
Step 1: 236
Step 2 CK: 236
CS: Pass, first try
Letters: One from chair of radiology, Strong letter from my research mentor, Strong clinical from Family Medicine, planning on getting another from preliminary IM program, possibly get one from my preliminary radiology department?
Clinical grades: Probably my biggest weakness, pass Medicine, Family medicine, OB/GYN, High pass in Surgery, Psych, Peds (No honors), Honors in radiology rotation with the chair
Fourth quintile in class rank, school weighs shelves heavily. (Did well in the first 2 years, but hit a wall with the shelves)
Research: 2 publications, one 4th author from working as a lab manager prior to medical school, one first author manuscript during summer research that I also presented with a poster. Another abstract/poster presentation in pathology published in USCAP 2016 received a pathology scholarship to work on the project. Worked on an unpublished case report with an ENT as first author. Graduated with research honors though no work in radiology.

School: MD in Texas
Preclinical: Pass
Clinical: Half honors, half passes
Step 1: 230
Step 2: studying right now
Research: 1 case report
ECs: Average officer positions.

Wanting to stay in Texas, but not sure if my Step score will allow for that. Which schools do you think I have a shot at?

School: MD in Texas
Preclinical: Pass
Clinical: Half honors, half passes
Step 1: 230
Step 2: studying right now
Research: 1 case report
ECs: Average officer positions.

Wanting to stay in Texas, but not sure if my Step score will allow for that. Which schools do you think I have a shot at?
You should get interviews at most of the Texas programs with those stats, and being instate. Your obvious reaches will be Baylor-Dallas and UTSW. You should have a very good shot at UT-San Antonio, Scott and White, and UTMB. I know the Houston residencies have pretty large classes so you should have a pretty good shot at interviews for UT Houston and Baylor.

School: mid tier MD(top 50)? But top 40 NIH
Step 1: 218
Step 2: not taken
Pre-clinical: P in all but 1 HP (H/HP/P/F system)
Clinical: current 3rd year on 1st rotation
Research: 1 research experience, not related (oncology)

Feeling like a failure after I just got back my step score today. Wanting to practice in the SW (AZ, NM) area but have no ties. Felt like I did poorly on Step 1 due to time constraints but who knows the real reason.

My last rotation was my Psych rotation and I do not think I could do that at all. I Was initially thinking Psych, so I am making a late switch to radiology(which I did enjoy more than anything else)

Medical School: Mid Tier
Step 1: ~240 (lower end)
Step 2: ~220 (lower end) --> I had some family issues going on, scored around 245 on my practice test and just wanted to get it over with to deal with those issues. Should Have pushed back, but can't change it that anymore.

Clinical: H: Radiology, Psych, Family, HP: Surg, IM, OB GYN, Neuro P: Peds and waiting for grades for Radiology elective and Sub-I (Med)
Pre-Clinical: 2 H rest Ps at H/P/F
Research: 5 research experiences (not radiology related, some were undergraduate) + 1 case report for IR that I am going to submit soon (1st Author)
Extracurriculars: Leadership in multiple clubs, including on Community service oriented but no radiology groups
LOR: 1 from Radiology Clerkship director, 1 from Medicine Sub-I, 1 from either neurology or family medicine

I go to school in the Northeast and I have a lot of geographic ties on the East Coast. I know my step 2 does not help me at all, but I just hope it does not close the door on my chances of matching into a mid-tier academic program in a city.

Do not think I will be applying DR/IR, but I have my IR rotation coming up.

Couples matching with my partner who applying to a non-competitive residency

How many programs should I apply to and do I bring up my step score at all?

Last edited:
Figured I would bump this up again as we're coming up to the deadline.

School: Unranked MD school in midwest
Step 1: 233
Step 2: Not taken yet
Grades: Mix of pass/honors in M1/M2. Mix of P and HP (no Honors) in M3 year. Good CPEs.
Research: Some posters from undergrad, not medicine. First author pub in med school, not in radiology.
ECs: E-board positions in a couple orgs, including the radiology group

Looking at mid-tier academic institutions in the midwest and east coast. I know my Step 1 is not great and my clinical grades are mediocre. Trying to do well on Step 2. No other research planned but trying to get on some projects. What are my chances here?

DO Student

Step 1: 254
Step 2: 257
Level 1 and 2: 700+
2nd author on publication in non radiology related field and
1st author on poster presentation
top 10% class
Clinical Grades: H everything besides HP in psych and family

Goal is to match into a university program in the west, particularly Utah. Saw they took two international students last year. I have geographical ties to the area. Think I have shot?

3rd year DO Student

Level 1 : 581
Step 2/Level 2: not taking until next year but hope to do much better
Did some research at a well known university hospital last summer and got paper published, 1st author
Clinical grades: just started 3rd year, but going well so far

Location is important to me so I'd like to stay in the NE but of course open to applying broadly.
I know my step/level 1 scores are low unfortunately but I want to do IR as the end goal so would like to get into at least somewhat decent program where its possible to make connections and get a fellowship. any advice?

3rd year DO Student

Level 1 : 581
Step 2/Level 2: not taking until next year but hope to do much better
Did some research at a well known university hospital last summer and got paper published, 1st author
Clinical grades: just started 3rd year, but going well so far

Location is important to me so I'd like to stay in the NE but of course open to applying broadly.
I know my step/level 1 scores are low unfortunately but I want to do IR as the end goal so would like to get into at least somewhat decent program where its possible to make connections and get a fellowship. any advice?
I'll let others comment on the overall competitiveness of your profile. However, allow me to say that being a DO + having low boards + being geographically restricted is a horrible recipe for matching radiology.

I'll let others comment on the overall competitiveness of your profile. However, allow me to say that being a DO + having low boards + being geographically restricted is a horrible recipe for matching radiology.

thanks for the advice and I totally understand what you mean. If I were to go for radiology I wouldn't restrict myself geographically, just a preference.

You will get into radiology if you apply broadly and are smart about your aways. However, getting into IR fellowship is up in the air since competition is so high right now.

You will get into radiology if you apply broadly and are smart about your aways. However, getting into IR fellowship is up in the air since competition is so high right now.

thank you, the opportunity for a fellowship post residency would definitely be #1 in selecting a residency which is why I'm hesitant to go for radiology with my low scores as I would probably only match at the lower end programs.

thank you, the opportunity for a fellowship post residency would definitely be #1 in selecting a residency which is why I'm hesitant to go for radiology with my low scores as I would probably only match at the lower end programs.
IMO, if you are not comfortable with the idea of remaining in DR then you shouldn't go into it. Matching IR fellowship is hard, and it will only get harder in the future as there will be many less programs than there was in the past (due to the creation of the direct pathway). With that said, getting a fellowship, is not a hard thing in radiology, regardless of where you do your residency. When I rotated at a large academic center, one of the fellows there was an AOA residency grad. He was just as competent and knowledgable as anyone else in the program.

Hi all,

Midtier? MD school in Southeast, hoping to match into an academic program in New England/Northeast/Chicago

Step 2: 257
Research: A couple of posters in immunology, one oral immunology presentation at my schools research conference, one accepted first author publication in a (very low impact factor) nuclear medicine journal with a few other projects ongoing (but nothing definite)
E/Cs: Minimal, VP of school's radiology club (lol)
MS1/2 grades mediocre, MS3 grades in top quartile with excellent evaluations

Looking for a critique of this list:

"Reachy, big name places":

University of California (San Francisco) Program
Massachusetts General Hospital/Harvard Medical School Program
Duke University Hospital Program
University of Pennsylvania Program
Stanford University Program
Brigham and Women's Hospital/Harvard Medical School Program
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center Program

"Target":

University of Virginia Program
University of Washington Program
University of Wisconsin Program
Yale-New Haven Medical Center Program
UPMC Medical Education Program
University of Utah Program
Brown University Program
University of North Carolina Hospitals Program
Oregon Health & Science University Program
University of Colorado Program
Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center Program
University of Vermont Medical Center Program
Boston University Medical Center Program
Tufts Medical Center Program
University of Massachusetts Program

"Community"

Maine Medical Center Program
Lahey Clinic Program
Mount Auburn Hospital Program

USMD, Step 1: ~260+, AOA, 5 pubs, ~20 posters/abstracts/etc., research experience.

Last edited:

"Target":

Brown University Program

"Community"

Lahey Clinic Program

USMD, Step 1: ~260+, AOA, 5 pubs, ~20 posters/abstracts/etc., research experience.

As long as your clinical grades have been good and your LOR's don't say that you're an arrogant punk, the "reaches" on your list are not reaches at all for your application. Unless you're really dead set on landing in a specific city, just cross the community programs off your list. Your "back-up" programs should be mid-tier academic programs. You've set yourself up nicely for application season...good luck.

Reactions: 1 user

"Target":

Brown University Program

"Community"

Lahey Clinic Program

Hm. According to charting outcomes, you only have about a 30% chance of matching. Have you considered another field?

lol just kidding. Dude/dudette, come on. You are a 260+, AOA, tons of research type of applicant and a US senior. Nobody is a shoe in at any particular program, but you have an amazing shot at getting any of those programs. Like the other poster said, as long as you didn't fail half your rotations or have terrible letters which would be pretty difficult to do and still be AOA, you are set.

"Target":

Brown University Program

"Community"

Lahey Clinic Program

Your stats are a bit better than mine and I got interviews at every program I applied to (and I basically applied to 18 of the best programs, which was possibly foolish). I would expect the same for you. Start thinking about your top choices so that you know which interviews to cancel. UCSF, and other CA programs, send out interviews quite late in the season, so try to leave Dec/Jan open for these if you're interested.

Not sure if you're interested in the Midwest, but Wisconsin is on your list, so I would add Michigan as well. It's truly a great program, and people generally love their interview there and end up being surprised. I also don't see Hopkins on your list - I added it to mine at the last minute and ended up really enjoying it. I think it was number 3 or 4 on my list, and I originally wasn't even going to apply.

Don't be super weird in your interview, and you should be in great shape. Enjoy the interview season! It's a blast.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

Hey everyone,

Got my Step 1 score back and got a 239. Was hoping for better but it’s over with haha. Hopefully I can bring that up on CK. Anyways, I’m not super sure how competitive I am for academic programs on the coasts in some of the big cities. I already posted in another thread, but was hoping for more responses.

I am a US MD student at an unranked Midwest state school. Grades were all pass the first two years, top 10%. Third year is only pass/fail, with pass so far. Not a ton of research but very strong EC’s and leadership positions. I guess my two questions are a) is it realistic for me to be looking at the coasts and b) if so, what programs should I be looking at?

Thanks for your help! I appreciate it!

Medical School: mid-tier midwest MD
Step 1: 255
Step 2: Taking in October
Clinical: P (family), HP (psych, neuro), H (IM, surg, peds, OBGYN)
Pre-Clinical: High 80s, low 90s. Top 50% of class, not super impressive.
Research: Nada. #whoops
Extracurriculars: Volunteering at free clinic, started heme/onc interest group, president of local Wisconsin Alumni association (event coordinating, volunteering, etc.), ASPCA volunteering.

My heart beats for the upper midwest, and I also like where I am now in the central midwest, so my goal programs are ideally Wisconsin, MCW, Minnesota, Cincy, Iowa, Michigan, OSU. Chicago-area programs would be alright, too. A few long-shots (would this be a waste of money?) would be Harvard, UCSF, Washington.

You should do really well with these midwest programs. Consider adding Mayo if you're not opposed to Rochester. Also consider Mallinckrodt, I was surprised at how much I liked it there - the residents were incredibly nice and even recognized me at a conference.

If you're even remotely interested in the long-shots, you should definitely send in applications. This is the only time you get this many options, so you might as well go for it. Your step 1 score and clinical grades are quite good. I don't know how much programs care about pre-clinical grades, because many schools are P/F for pre-clinicals. The lack of research isn't great for these programs, but you never know if they'll see something else they like in your application. Any chance you've had small poster presentations at your school or conference presentations in undergrad?

As a side note, I'm at a really awesome TY in the midwest that you should absolutely apply to. You can PM me if you want to talk about it!

Medical School: Midtier MD school in the West

Step 1: 241

Step 2: 270

AOA

Clinical: H: IM, Peds, Psych, and Neuro HP: OBGYN and Surgery P: Family Med

Research: 1 pub from undergrad, 2 abstracts, 3 posters non rads related

Extracurriculars: Youth anatomy instruction, manager at homeless clinic, started outreach program for refugee education

Interested in IR/DR and DR. Michigan, UTSW, Virginia, North Carolina, Emory, and MCW are all high on my list.

How competitive will I be for academic programs in the South and Midwest?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Medical School: Midtier MD school in the West

Step 1: 241

Step 2: 270

AOA

Clinical: H: IM, Peds, Psych, and Neuro HP: OBGYN and Surgery P: Family Med

Research: 1 pub from undergrad, 2 abstracts, 3 posters non rads related

Extracurriculars: Youth anatomy instruction, manager at homeless clinic, started outreach program for refugee education

Interested in IR/DR and DR. Michigan, UTSW, Virginia, North Carolina, Emory, and MCW are all high on my list.

How competitive will I be for academic programs in the South and Midwest?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You've probably good a decent shot at most of them at least for DR, maybe try to get on some IR research. Apply broadly and you should get great interviews at several top programs. Do aways at programs if you really want to go to a specific place.

Hi,

Step 1: 228
1 Poster presentation, submitted a case report just last week. Neither in Rads.

I'm a brand new M3 from an unranked MD school in the Northeast. Wondering if it would be realistic for me to match Radiology based on Step 1 alone. No Step 2 yet obviously, and have only finished 1 rotation (no grade out yet).

I know people can't really give me concrete help at this point without more information, but:

If Step 2, jumping into some Radiology research, making connections in the department/field is successfully accomplished, would I have a chance at mid-tier (or even low-tier) academic programs in the Northeast (Philly, D.C., NJ, NYC, Boston, RI) still be in the cards for me? Again, purely hypothetical, I understand, but I'd at least like to know if there's still a chance for me so that I can really tackle this challenge head on if so.

Would be forever grateful if some experienced people could at least give me a realistic jumpstart towards a possible career!

Medical school: low to med tier MD school in the southeast

Step 1: 250
Step 2: 259
Clinical grades: honors in all required rotations (internal, surgery, peds, psych, obgyn, family)

AOA

Research: 1 first author on case report (rads related), 2 first author poster presentations, 1 first author on small web-based publication, 1 second author on case report (rads related), 1 second author on abstract, 1 fourth author on abstract. Currently involved with a prospective research project in radiology.
Extracurriculars: I was initially interested in EM, so most of my extracurriculars are in EM, like involvement with national organizations. I did a global health trip, served as a mentor for undergraduate students, and I have a few single day health fair-type events that I volunteered for.

I am interested in IR, but I think I will just apply to DR because I think I will have a better shot at locations that I am interested in. I honestly have no idea how competitive I am at the big programs, though. I am interested in programs out west, particularly UCSD, Stanford, University of Colorado, University of Washington, and Oregon Health. I'm also interested in the big Boston and Texas programs, Vanderbilt, and Northwestern. Unfortunately, I have absolutely no ties to any of those areas, aside from Vanderbilt. I'm worried that regional bias will hold me back from most of these places.

If anyone familiar with these programs or familiar with matching in programs where you have no ties could give me some piece of mind, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

holdmyglasses: you're AOA with 250+ Steps. You are in a great position. I think you get interviews at all those places you listed minus grey area with Stanford.

You have a very good shot at these programs. Relax and apply. Stanford and other tippy-top programs are always a crap-shoot but you are competitive for any program.

Medical school: low to med tier MD school in the southeast

Step 1: 250
Clinical grades: honors in all required rotations (internal, surgery, peds, psych, obgyn, family)

AOA

Research: 1 first author on case report (rads related), 2 first author poster presentations, 1 first author on small web-based publication, 1 second author on case report (rads related), 1 second author on abstract, 1 fourth author on abstract. Currently involved with a prospective research project in radiology.
Extracurriculars: I was initially interested in EM, so most of my extracurriculars are in EM, like involvement with national organizations. I did a global health trip, served as a mentor for undergraduate students, and I have a few single day health fair-type events that I volunteered for.

I am interested in IR, but I think I will just apply to DR because I think I will have a better shot at locations that I am interested in. I honestly have no idea how competitive I am at the big programs, though. I am interested in programs out west, particularly UCSD, Stanford, University of Colorado, University of Washington, and Oregon Health. I'm also interested in the big Boston and Texas programs, Vanderbilt, and Northwestern. Unfortunately, I have absolutely no ties to any of those areas, aside from Vanderbilt. I'm worried that regional bias will hold me back from most of these places.

If anyone familiar with these programs or familiar with matching in programs where you have no ties could give me some piece of mind, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Last edited:
Current M3 with a masters degree.

School: Middle tier US MD

Preclinical Grades: 1st quartile M1, 2nd Quartile M2
Clinicals: Honored IM, no others completed yet.

Volunteer: A 3 longitudinal experiences in education with kids and high school students.

Leadership: Officer in radiology interest group. Supervised 4 undergraduate student projects in graduate school.

Research: 3 years at the undergraduate level, 1.5 years at the graduate level. 3 middle aurhor basic science publications related to psychiatric disease. 1 basic science psychiatry research project over M1 summer, may or may not get published.

Want to do diagnostic.

Thanks in advance.

Board scores? You should be more than fine with a decent Step 1.

Medical school: low tier MD school in the southeast

Preclinical: Top 3 in the class

Clinical: Honors in all required rotations (psychiatry, family medicine, pediatrics, internal medicine, OB-GYN, surgery).

Step 1: 257

Research: 1 project in radiology, and another in a different specialty. No publications. I will hopefully have a rads poster to present at a local meeting by the end of the year.

Extracurricular: The usual, leadership in clubs, tutoring, etc.

I'd be very grateful for an opinion, especially in regard to programs out west, and of course in the south. I'm thinking Oregon, Washington state, California, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, Texas, and southeastern programs along the coast.

Medical school: low tier MD school in the southeast

Preclinical: Top 3 in the class

Clinical: Honors in all required rotations (psychiatry, family medicine, pediatrics, internal medicine, OB-GYN, surgery).

Step 1: 257

Research: 1 project in radiology, and another in a different specialty. No publications. I will hopefully have a rads poster to present at a local meeting by the end of the year.

Extracurricular: The usual, leadership in clubs, tutoring, etc.

I'd be very grateful for an opinion, especially in regard to programs out west, and of course in the south. I'm thinking Oregon, Washington state, California, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, Texas, and southeastern programs along the coast.

So I am from the Southeast and did worse on step 1/2 than you, about the same in terms of research and clinical grades. I had the same goal - West programs and some East Coast stuff. I think the fact that my home program has a very strong Rads program and so my letters came from people who were known to other PDs helped. I didn't apply to California or Texas, but got interviews at OHSU, UW, Utah, Arizona. Rejected by Colorado. I matched at one of those programs. Expressing interest either in personal statement, away rotations, or writing letters to tell them you are interested will help with the regional bias somewhat. When I interviewed at OHSU the PD told me specifically that he doesn't usually interview many people from the Southeast without a reason because they historically don't end up leaving the region. Hope this helps. Its a crapshoot - just apply broadly and see what happens. You've already done as much as you can do with your grades etc. In terms of Southeast programs, you should definitely get considered for an interview at all the top ones (except for maybe Duke because of research). This includes places like Emory, UVA, UNC, MUSC, Wake, Alabama, USF etc.

Last edited:
Mid-tier MD
Step 1 ~250
Step 2 ~275
Clerkships 3H, 3HP
Research: 6 pubs, 1 poster (all non-rads)

Looking for some feedback on this list of East Coast programs I'm applying to. Let me know if there's any other programs you guys would suggest.

Reaches:
MGH, BWH, Cornell, NYU, Penn, JHU, Duke

Target Programs:
Pitt, BIDMC, TJU, UVa, UNC, Wake, Emory

Safer Programs:
BMC, MUSC, Miami, Georgetown, Tufts, GWU, Pennsy

Thanks!

Mid-tier MD
Step 1 ~250
Step 2 ~275
Clerkships 3H, 3HP
Research: 6 pubs, 1 poster (all non-rads)

Looking for some feedback on this list of East Coast programs I'm applying to. Let me know if there's any other programs you guys would suggest.

Reaches:
MGH, BWH, Cornell, NYU, Penn, JHU, Duke

Target Programs:
Pitt, BIDMC, TJU, UVa, UNC, Wake, Emory

Safer Programs:
BMC, MUSC, Miami, Georgetown, Tufts, GWU, Pennsy

Thanks!

Seems about right. You should get interviews at a good smattering of all of those programs with those stats.

Medical School: State School (M.D. in SE region), start of third year (2 rotations in)
Preclinical: top quartile , Not AOA
Step 1: 253
Step 2: not taken yet
Clerkships: Honors in Family Med, on elective right now (rads)
Research: presented my summer research project 4 times (once as poster at home institution research day, once at SE regional conference as an oral presentation and won first place for oral presentation, and once as poster at national conference and once in the ACP national poster competition)

Have also been involved with 4 case reports (one as first author, two as second author, and one as 4th author. ) <-- however only one of these reports are on PubMed , the others are on an online database..... is this bad ?

Also presented a clinical vignette as a poster at a state ACP conference. I also have my name on 3-5 other poster presentations as second author.

I recognize that I am still early in the process with time to improve my application but I want to know more about how my "research" stacks up. My questions:

1. I presented my research project four separate times, do I list this as 4 entries or as one entry ?
2. Is it frowned upon that I wasn't able to publish my case reports to a PubMed journal?
3. Should I even list those posters where I am a second author (I have been listed a total of 5 times... 3 times on a research project that was presented multiple times and two times on clinical vignettes)
4. what is the #1 thing I can do to improve my application

I am interested in how best to improve my application. I feel my research is strong but I am not quite sure as it can be seen as a lot of "fluff" (multiple poster presentation of the same material, no manuscripts, blah, blah). My goal is to go to Emory DR as my SO will be in the same institution for grad school. I feel like I am running out of time to improve my app as many of my rotations are across the state and I will be away from my home institution.

Thanks to everyone who reads and responds!

Best,

It seems to be the general consensus that a single project presented at multiple conferences should be listed only once, with the most prominent presentation/conference as the listed entry.

It also seems like unless you presented the poster, it should not be listed as a presentation, although I don't agree with this, and neither do some of the PDs I've come across. That being said, I think you are doing pretty well in the research department for radiology applicants. If you are truly concerned, you can always take a research year, although this is rather unheard of in the radiology world.

Your board score, personal ties to the program (SO), and med school in the SE region should be more than enough to secure Emory.