FAQ: What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
School: Lower tier allopathic in South
Step 1: 260
Step 2: Haven't taken yet. Aiming for 270.
Clerkship Grades: 2 HP in surgery and peds. 1 P in Family.
Research: Still in progress: multiple abstracts, 1 educational manuscript, teaching file, QI project.

Would like to match at best reputation program possible, no big preference for location.

Any recommendations to improve my chances? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

School: Lower tier allopathic in South
Step 1: 260
Step 2: Haven't taken yet. Aiming for 270.
Clerkship Grades: 2 HP in surgery and peds. 1 P in Family.
Research: Still in progress: multiple abstracts, 1 educational manuscript, teaching file, QI project.

Would like to match at best reputation program possible, no big preference for location.

Any recommendations to improve my chances? Thanks!

Honors in medicine and OB would help. Getting at least one or two papers published in reputable journals would also help. Student from "lower tier" schools can and do match at all the top programs, but the majority are AOA, or at least top quartile, and have significant research experience.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys I would like help on knowing my chances. Everyone tells me I'll get in somewhere but I'm getting nervous. possibly because of my awful class rank or that I've barely done my ERAs or that none of my letters are in or maybe all of the above.

School rank: No idea but probably middle of the pack or lower.
Step 1: 235
Step2: 256
Grades: awful because I'm a huge slacker. H in psychiatry and Radiology and P everything else.
Class rank 30-50 percentile
Last research done was in college sophomore year with 2 pubs. I did basic research again during first year summer but no publication.
Extracurriculars: I do a little here and there. Nothing spectacular.

So whats my chances guys? Should my list of schools be tons of lower reputation places. I was going to apply to maybe about 50 schools. 20 "safeties" 20 targets and 10 reaches.

It really depends on how many people get honors or high pass at your school. Mid tier seems like good "targets" for you

School: northeast MD
Step 1: 241
Grades: high pass neuro and medicine and radiology, passes everything else
Class rank: top 50% (barely)
Research: 2 posters (1 in rads), no pubs
EC: nothing special

Do I have a shot at....

Montefiore, Mount Sinai, UFlorida, USF, UPMC, CCF, Beaumont, Cincy, Indiana, Utah, New Mexico, MUSC, Emory, UNC, Maryland, Boston U, UAB, Jefferson, Pennsy

The rest of my list is filled with various safeties.

Appreciate any feedback!

School: northeast MD
Step 1: 241
Grades: high pass neuro and medicine and radiology, passes everything else
Class rank: top 50% (barely)
Research: 2 posters (1 in rads), no pubs
EC: nothing special

Do I have a shot at....

Montefiore, Mount Sinai, UFlorida, USF, UPMC, CCF, Beaumont, Cincy, Indiana, Utah, New Mexico, MUSC, Emory, UNC, Maryland, Boston U, UAB, Jefferson, Pennsy

The rest of my list is filled with various safeties.

Appreciate any feedback!

To answer your question, yup, you have a shot no doubt! To further bolster your application, do your best to get recommendation letters from attendings who will be able to really write something good about you.

To answer your question, yup, you have a shot no doubt! To further bolster your application, do your best to get recommendation letters from attendings who will be able to really write something good about you.

Thanks for the advice! I'm hoping to get interviews at about half of those if that's realistically possible.

School: D.O.
Step 1: Did not take (like a boss), Comlex I: Mid 5's
Step 2: Will take USMLE step 2 and do well.
Grades: High pass (honors doesn't exist as far as I'm aware)
Class rank: Poor
Research: Undergraduate
EC: Lots of world travel, clubs, etc...
Pretty much willing to go to any program AOA or ACGME (against all advice on here).

School: D.O.
Step 1: Did not take (like a boss), Comlex I: Mid 5's
Step 2: Will take USMLE step 2 and do well.
Grades: High pass (honors doesn't exist as far as I'm aware)
Class rank: Poor
Research: Undergraduate
EC: Lots of world travel, clubs, etc...
Pretty much willing to go to any program AOA or ACGME (against all advice on here).

Poor rank at a DO is not a good place to be. Target community programs and hope for the best, but please plan for a backup, such as psych of family medicine.

School: deep south MD
Step 1: high 240s
Step 2: will take late
Grades: all passes at a stingy school with grade deflation :(
Class rank: 3rd quartile
Research: on a rads project, no pubs yet but maybe abstract/poster in future before apps
EC: volunteering here and there

WAMC at the good southern and midwest programs? I understand my stats aren't great but I'm not going to be applying to the more competitive coastal areas.

School: deep south MD
Step 1: high 240s
Step 2: will take late
Grades: all passes at a stingy school with grade deflation :(
Class rank: 3rd quartile
Research: on a rads project, no pubs yet but maybe abstract/poster in future before apps
EC: volunteering here and there

WAMC at the good southern and midwest programs? I understand my stats aren't great but I'm not going to be applying to the more competitive coastal areas.

You have a good shot. Try to get something published from your rads research. Come up with a better explanation for your class rank than school being stingy. They may have grade deflation, but yours are deflated more than >50% of your class so you need to provide an explanation, besides laziness, when you are asked about it at interviews. In my experience, programs hate when interviewees make excuses for weaker parts of their application instead of owning it and talking about how they are working to improve it.

You have a good shot. Try to get something published from your rads research. Come up with a better explanation for your class rank than school being stingy. They may have grade deflation, but yours are deflated more than >50% of your class so you need to provide an explanation, besides laziness, when you are asked about it at interviews. In my experience, programs hate when interviewees make excuses for weaker parts of their application instead of owning it and talking about how they are working to improve it.

Thank you for the feedback. I wouldn't call myself lazy I'm just not as good at 3rd year as many people in my class. My question is whether I'd be screened out of solid programs because of this?

As long as I get interviews at mid tier to high-mid tier places in the south and midwest I have no problem explaining my mediocre clinical performance

Thank you for the feedback. I wouldn't call myself lazy I'm just not as good at 3rd year as many people in my class. My question is whether I'd be screened out of solid programs because of this?

As long as I get interviews at mid tier to high-mid tier places in the south and midwest I have no problem explaining my mediocre clinical performance

I'm not saying you are lazy, sorry if it came off that way. I'm just saying some interviewers may assume that and you should have a good explanation for why your grades aren't awesome besides the school being stingy with grades. You probably will be screened out of some top programs, but have a solid chance at mid-tier academic programs. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
School: Top 40 in CA
Step 1: 264
Step 2: Haven't taken yet.
Clerkship Grades: All HP, awaiting FM, IM, Psych grades
Research: 4 radiology posters at national meetings including 1 SIR, 1 RSNA
EC's: Nothing special

Aiming for integrated IR programs.
Would like to end up in a big city, preferably NY/Philly/Boston/Chicago.

What are my chances? I have been in CA my entire life including college + med school. Do I need to do an away rotation to show east coast programs I'll actually leave?

Thanks for the input.

Last edited:
School: Top 40 in CA
Step 1: 264
Step 2: Haven't taken yet.
Clerkship Grades: All HP, awaiting FM, IM, Psych grades
Research: 4 radiology posters at national meetings including 1 SIR, 1 RSNA

Aiming for integrated IR programs.
Would like to end up in a big city, preferably NY/Philly/Boston/Chicago.

What are my chances? I have been in CA my entire life including college + med school. Do I need to do an away rotation to show east coast programs I'll actually leave?

Thanks for the input.

Great stuff. Awesome Step 1 score. This should definitely open most doors for mid tier academic programs, including those in the Midwest & East Coast. BTW, coming from California should not make it any more difficult to get interviews than someone coming from anywhere else in the country; conversely and anecdotally, not coming from the West Coast makes it more difficult to get Cali interviews. You really don't need to do an away rotation; this may more strongly signal that you're interested in a specific institution vs. a region. If you're thinking integrated IR or top programs, you stand a chance granted that you continue to perform as you are. Just keep in mind that the positions are very limited, as a lot of programs are still undergoing approval processes, and A LOT of people are interested in integrated IR. Try to get Honors in Medicine, write an awesome personal statement, and get some nice rec letters (usually a strong radiologist letter with the remainder being great clinical recs) and you should be golden! From experience, it seems that Honors in IM/Surgery/OBGYN are the only ones that seem to matter; even with an HP in OGYN and surg, all Hs and HPs are not equal. Congrats on presenting so much; hopefully it is your own research you are presenting and not someone else's. It may be a late recommendation, but try to get an abstract/article published if possible - this will definitely draw people's attention.

Ultimately, it's difficult to say if one will get interviews above a certain Step 1 & clerkship grades threshold. It's easier to identify who won't.

School: Upper Tier DO (if thats a thing)
Step 1: 249
Step 2: Haven't taken yet. How important is it for rads??
Clerkship Grades: A's and a few B's
Research: 1 non radiology publication before medical school

want to be at any allopathic academic institution with no real geographic preference over a community program but will take what I can get! Any DOs have advice as if we need to rotate at programs we are interested in since we are already starting at a disadvantage??
Any advice is appreciated, thanks guys!

School: Upper Tier DO (if thats a thing)
Step 1: 249
Step 2: Haven't taken yet. How important is it for rads??
Clerkship Grades: A's and a few B's
Research: 1 non radiology publication before medical school

want to be at any allopathic academic institution with no real geographic preference over a community program but will take what I can get! Any DOs have advice as if we need to rotate at programs we are interested in since we are already starting at a disadvantage??
Any advice is appreciated, thanks guys!

I didn't do away rotations at the places I was interested at partially due to advice I'd received from others on these forums about the low importance of said interviews and partially because I didn't have any 1 place I really wanted to go over another at the time. I don't think it hurt me during interviews but can't really say for sure. My scores were a little higher than yours and I didn't get interviews at most top tier places so maybe it would have made a difference, not sure. Definitely take step 2 if I were you. It's obviously not nearly as important as step 1 but still can be a difference maker I think. Your step 1 is very solid so I'm not worried about you doing poorly and I had multiple PDs during interviews mention they liked seeing my step 2 because it showed confidence.

Edit: Also, a nice high step 2 should really help with getting a good TY program for intern year!

Current MS3, and I'm a bit of a late-comer, but I just recently became interested in exploring a future in radiology.

DO School, in the top 20% of my class
Step 1: 240-245
Step 2: Not taken yet
Clerkships: Honors on all cores so far (peds, psych, FM, IM)
Research: 1 non-radiology publication during med school
EC's: SGA leadership position, volunteer work

At this point, I'm thinking allopathic academic somewhere along the East coast. Also, I'm at a bit of a disadvantage in that there is no radiology program at my institution - where should I get my LORs? Thanks for the help guys!

I didn't have any radiologist's at my school either and this isn't uncommon for most DO schools I think. Maybe try to do an away rotation or two at an academic place where you can really get to know someone. Can get some research going at the same time if its not too late. At the very least you can start working with someone in PP to at least have something although I'm pretty sure an academic letter would be viewed more favorably.

School: Top 10
Step 1: 253
Step 2: will take in July
Grades: 3 H, 2 HP - honors in peds, surgery, FM. High pass in Neurology and IM. Awaiting psych and OB
Research: a few poster presentations (non-radiology) and currently working on a radiology project that will hopefully be submitted for publication by the time I submit ERAS.
ECs: chair of a student interest group, two years of americorps service prior to med school.

If I can get H in psych or OB, I will likely get AOA.

I'm wondering how competitive I am for top programs. Like the above poster, I'm also wondering if being a woman gives me any kind of edge.

School: Top 10
Step 1: 253
Step 2: will take in July
Grades: 3 H, 2 HP - honors in peds, surgery, FM. High pass in Neurology and IM. Awaiting psych and OB
Research: a few poster presentations (non-radiology) and currently working on a radiology project that will hopefully be submitted for publication by the time I submit ERAS.
ECs: chair of a student interest group, two years of americorps service prior to med school.

If I can get H in psych or OB, I will likely get AOA.

I'm wondering how competitive I am for top programs. Like the above poster, I'm also wondering if being a woman gives me any kind of edge.

In my humble opinion, Step 1 above 250 and AOA status with some research will open the doors to most programs. Getting interviews at the top programs can sometimes be random so I suggest having an idea of where you want to focus your efforts and reaching out to programs if you are not hearing anything. I do think that being a female gives you a slight edge.

Good luck.

School: Top 20 US MD
Step 1: 210
Clerkship: Mostly P except one HP. I have two more clerkship grades left. (50% of class get P, 25% get HP, top 25% get H).
Research - 1 first author pub in Rads. Multiple non-Rads papers from before med school.
ECs: Rads Interest group leader, community clinic leader, a few other trivial stuff
LOR: hopefully awesome but hard to exactly know.

Planning on taking Step 2 early and 1 or 2 aways. Wondering what my chances are and what programs I should be targeting especially seeing that Rads is starting to become more competitive again. Please help me and be harsh/realistic.

Does a DO w/ 250+ Step 1 and class rank of top 5% have a chance at a West Coast program? Preferably SoCal?

Does a DO w/ 250+ Step 1 and class rank of top 5% have a chance at a West Coast program? Preferably SoCal?
Yes, but likely only bottom of the barrel programs in cali (which doesn't exactly mean they are bad).

What's a competitive Step 1 score to aim for if i'm interested in a mid-tier academic program somewhere in the Northeast/East Coast/Midwest? How much research would be considered competitive?

Western european 2013 grad did transitional year and one year of radiology in my country
Step 1 - 245
Step 2 ck - will take in end july/august aiming for > 230
Step 2 cs - will do in setember, after submitting app
No research (thats why I want to go to the states)
No usce
Willing a program in big city (of course I'd prefer academic but a nice community would also be ok).

Should I even bother guys? What do you think? Have 28 years, nothing to lose.. Already secured a position here! But would like to make this final landing...

Last edited:
Foreign Medical Graduate
School: Top 10 in India (Old, Reputed Govt. College)
Step 1/2CK : 250+ both
Step 2CS: 1st Attempt
ECFMG certification: March, 2016
Step 3: Pending
USCE: Nil
YOG : 2011
Red Flag: Gaps in CV, YOG, Nil USCE
Publication: Nil Currently, 2 Posters(non-Rad), Currently 2nd year Pathology Resident (India)

No program/location preference( Can't have one :) )
Do I have any realistic chance in Radiology?

I'd say you're in! (look at charting outcomes and draw your own conclusion...)

I'd say you're in! (look at charting outcomes and draw your own conclusion...)

Yes, I have seen the charting outcomes (both general and IMG ones).
Based on that, it looks possible. Avg. YOG difference is also 5-6 years, scores OK, recent certification etc.

But its the various forum discussions that are confusing me.
People with very good scores(240/250+) complaining of not getting interviews or only few interviews.(even in non competitive specialities)
Also most rads program requiring mandatory hands on USCE and have very few FMG in current residents list.
Do IMGs/FMGs don't like to apply to Radio?
Or is there anything else that I am not aware of ?

Yes, I have seen the charting outcomes (both general and IMG ones).
Based on that, it looks possible. Avg. YOG difference is also 5-6 years, scores OK, recent certification etc.

But its the various forum discussions that are confusing me.
People with very good scores(240/250+) complaining of not getting interviews or only few interviews.(even in non competitive specialities)
Also most rads program requiring mandatory hands on USCE and have very few FMG in current residents list.
Do IMGs/FMGs don't like to apply to Radio?
Or is there anything else that I am not aware of ?

"People with very good scores complaining of not getting interviews"

This is the backbone of SDN complaining. It is not reflective of reality. A lot of people on here have high hopes of matching top programs which is indeed difficult. Some may not be getting the interviews they want at top programs but it doesn't mean that they're in any real danger of going unmatched with those high scores (barring a serious red flag).

Also, there are plenty of IMGs that apply and match radiology currently.

School: Unranked school in the south
Step 1: 245
Step 2: Not taking until August
Clerkship Grades: All honors except 1 high pass in surgery
Research: 1 publication (from college), minor research in medical school for cardiology
EC's: Average

I would love to match somewhere in North Carolina or South Carolina? Should I do an away rotation or could i possibly get some of those interviews without it?

"People with very good scores complaining of not getting interviews"

This is the backbone of SDN complaining. It is not reflective of reality. A lot of people on here have high hopes of matching top programs which is indeed difficult. Some may not be getting the interviews they want at top programs but it doesn't mean that they're in any real danger of going unmatched with those high scores (barring a serious red flag).

Also, there are plenty of IMGs that apply and match radiology currently.

Can you please elaborate on ""serious red flags"?
What is considered serious red flag.
Thanks

Can you please elaborate on ""serious red flags"?
What is considered serious red flag.
Thanks

Red flags are serious concerns about an applicant such as getting a conditional or failing a clerkship or course, having a professionalism concern, taking unexcused time off, having significantly negative comments on MSPE, etc.

School: Mid Tier
Step 1: 237
Step 2: Taking it in October
Clerkship Grades: Honors in Family, Pass in Psych, High Pass in the rest
Research: Some IR projects and Ophtho projects. Hopefully getting something published by eras. Have a few abstracts done.
EC: Some random clubs the first few years.

What kind of rads programs should I be applying to? Thanks

Hello,

I am a current MS-IV who already matched into a categorical residency this year. I am considering switching to radiology and am wondering what my chances would be. I would likely be applying to the physician only spots, as I don't want to repeat my internship.

What do you think my chances would be, given that I do well in my internship?
Step 1: 245+
Step 2: 250+
Step 2CS: passed first attempt
Clerkships: all As for 3rd and 4th year (including my radiology elective late 4th year)
Class rank: Top 5
Research: co-authored book chapter, soon to be published case report (got an email stating it should be published by October in a pretty well known journal), and poster presentation (which won my school's poster competition). None of it is in the radiology field however.

Any advice on switching a specialty would also be appreciated! Thanks.

School: Middle tier
Step 1: 219
Step 2: Taking Friday
Clerkship Grades: Passes in P/HP/H system.
Research: first author on a chart review, also presented said paper. Should have a total of 6 papers submitted for publication went I submit ERAS.
EC's: Lots of sports (frisbee, football, weight lifting), volunteer at lots of student run clinics, was a leader of one of the clinics 2nd year.

I am really looking to match in the midwest (Detroit, Chicago, Cleveland, in that order). My wife is doing ophtho (she got a 241 on step, similar clerkship grades). She is from Detroit, and I have family in Chicago. We aren't too picky about location, as long as we are together. I am looking to do an interventional fellowship afterwards though, so obviously I'll rank programs that I think are matching their fellows better.

More specifically, I really want to go to Beaumont or Henry Ford. What are my chances and how can I best optimize those chances besides doing well on Step 2 CK?

Thanks for any advice :)

Last edited:
School: Middle tier
Step 1: 219
Step 2: Taking Friday
Clerkship Grades: Passes in P/HP/H system.
Research: first author on a chart review, also presented said paper. Should have a total of 6 papers submitted for publication went I submit ERAS.
EC's: Lots of sports (frisbee, football, weight lifting), volunteer at lots of student run clinics, was a leader of one of the clinics 2nd year.

I am really looking to match in the midwest (Detroit, Chicago, Cleveland, in that order). My wife is doing ophtho (she got a 241 on step, similar clerkship grades). She is from Detroit, and I have family in Chicago. We aren't too picky about location, as long as we are together. I am looking to do an interventional fellowship afterwards though, so obviously I'll rank programs that I think are matching their fellows better.

More specifically, I really want to go to Beaumont or Henry Ford. What are my chances and how can I best optimize those chances besides doing well on Step 2 CK?

Thanks for any advice :)
Didn't interview at either but I think you should be fine to get an interview, especially with research perks

School: DO
step 1: 235
step 2: haven't taken
clerkships: pass, high pass, honors, no red flags
research: undergraduate research
ECs: all undergrad
Apply broadly and try to get some research

Hello,

I am a current MS-IV who already matched into a categorical residency this year. I am considering switching to radiology and am wondering what my chances would be. I would likely be applying to the physician only spots, as I don't want to repeat my internship.

What do you think my chances would be, given that I do well in my internship?
Step 1: 245+
Step 2: 250+
Step 2CS: passed first attempt
Clerkships: all As for 3rd and 4th year (including my radiology elective late 4th year)
Class rank: Top 5
Research: co-authored book chapter, soon to be published case report (got an email stating it should be published by October in a pretty well known journal), and poster presentation (which won my school's poster competition). None of it is in the radiology field however.

Any advice on switching a specialty would also be appreciated! Thanks.
Definitely competitive, just need to have good explanation for switching - to go AuntMinnie.com, go to the resident forum and look at all he available residency positions along with doing the whole ERAS thing. Do some research if you can

School: Unranked school in the south
Step 1: 245
Step 2: Not taking until August
Clerkship Grades: All honors except 1 high pass in surgery
Research: 1 publication (from college), minor research in medical school for cardiology
EC's: Average

I would love to match somewhere in North Carolina or South Carolina? Should I do an away rotation or could i possibly get some of those interviews without it?
No need for aways unless deadset on IR, you'll get interview at the SC's and 1-2 of the NC's. If you could get on a research project hat'd be good

School: Mid Tier
Step 1: 237
Step 2: Taking it in October
Clerkship Grades: Honors in Family, Pass in Psych, High Pass in the rest
Research: Some IR projects and Ophtho projects. Hopefully getting something published by eras. Have a few abstracts done.
EC: Some random clubs the first few years.

What kind of rads programs should I be applying to? Thanks
Mid to high tier, will get interviews at both. Look on doximity or search old SDN or auntminnie posts for top rads programs - you'll do fine

Didn't interview at either but I think you should be fine to get an interview, especially with research perks

Thanks! I'm really hoping I get an interview, given my step score is less than stellar at both HF and Beaumont! Does it matter if my papers are "submitted for pub" vs published? Is there a significant difference in eyes of residency committee?

School: Midwest allopathic, not mid-top tier
Step 1: 234
Step 2: mid july
Clerkship Grades: HP Obgyn, Psych, rest Honors
Research: 1 basic science pub from undergrad with presentation to state congress, 2 surgical subspecialty presentations at regional meeting, a couple manuscripts to be submitted by eras
EC: solid including leadership

I'm still considering applying to surgical subspecialty depending on how my AI/aways go this summer/fall. If I do & dual apply to rads, how many programs should I apply to? Not looking to go to either coast, hope to stay in MW/south/southeast.

Thanks! I'm really hoping I get an interview, given my step score is less than stellar at both HF and Beaumont! Does it matter if my papers are "submitted for pub" vs published? Is there a significant difference in eyes of residency committee?

you're asking if a non-publication is equal to a publication...?

Submitted for pub vs pub. I heard from a PD that all it matters is that it's submitted and you can talk about it if asked

Is the programs' average Step score listed somewhere? It would be helpful to see what kind of score is considered average at a particular program.

Submitted for pub vs pub. I heard from a PD that all it matters is that it's submitted and you can talk about it if asked

It does not make sense that they would be equal - anyone who has done research before knows that a paper that has only been submitted still has a while to go before it is revised and eventually accepted (if at all). I can't speak for this PD - maybe he/she was just looking for some scholarly involvement, but to programs seeking prospective residents with productive research as future academicians (particularly the top-tier programs) an actual published paper should have more weight.