FAMU PHARMACY C/O 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmRae

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Heyyy guys does anyone know if it is MANDATORY that you get a letter of rec from a pharmacists? Or know someone that got in with the acception of not having a letter of rec from a pharmacist?

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, I believe they have to be pharmacists. well, that's what written on their website. good luck. it's not hard to find pharmacists today

Reactions: 1 user
Hey, I contacted the school and they said it is required. You have to volunteer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I believe they have to be pharmacists. well, that's what written on their website. good luck. it's not hard to find pharmacists today
Hey, I have no pharmacy experience at all. I found a pharmacist that will let me job shadow him. Since I have no experience will they throw my application away?

To everyone applying to FAMU, I'm confused on the application process. I know recently, people hand delivered their application to FAMU theirselves or sent it through the mail. Are we supposed to send it in or only fill out the application that is online?

I'd also like to know the process. I just found out that besides applying for pharmacy through their graduate application, you have to first apply as a undegraduate student and be accepted. Does anyone know if I can just send my graduate application with transcripts and LORs to expedite the process since applications are due in February?

I'd also like to know the process. I just found out that besides applying for pharmacy through their graduate application, you have to first apply as a undegraduate student and be accepted. Does anyone know if I can just send my graduate application with transcripts and LORs to expedite the process since applications are due in February?

Does this only apply to the 0-6 program?

Does this only apply to the 0-6 program?
I spoke to a representative on the phone, and that is what she told me unless she misunderstood me because I have all of my prerequisites done at a different University and I completed my degree. So I have already done most of the application except I'm waiting on a couple of LORs.

Hi guys!
I am a transfer student as well and here is the process: You must apply as an undergrad to the university then declare pharmacy as your major. When you're done, you will fill out the pharmacy school application (you have to create a login on the page) and on the submission page of the application you will have to print THAT application all filled out along with a notary form, get it notarized then mail it to the pharmacy school at the MLK Jr address. If you completed your foreign language requirement in high school like I did, you will need to send a copy of your hs transcript with your college transcript to the undergrad office of admissions and a copy of your hs and college transcript to the school of pharmacy so you'll need 2 of each transcript. I mailed them priority with signature required to ensure they got them. Even though the application lets you upload your UNOFFICIAL transcripts, you still have to mail it in for whatever reason. You should get a letter in the mail from the office of admissions in a few days to set up your irattler account once that's all done blah blah blah. There is no way to expedite the process that i know of, you definitely have to apply to the university and the college separately but you can do those at the same time, you don't necessarily have to wait to get accepted to the university in order to apply to the COPPS. I finished my application process in October and had to make several phone calls so, I hope this helps!
Happy Holidays :)

Reactions: 1 users
Hi guys!
I am a transfer student as well and here is the process: You must apply as an undergrad to the university then declare pharmacy as your major. When you're done, you will fill out the pharmacy school application (you have to create a login on the page) and on the submission page of the application you will have to print THAT application all filled out along with a notary form, get it notarized then mail it to the pharmacy school at the MLK Jr address. If you completed your foreign language requirement in high school like I did, you will need to send a copy of your hs transcript with your college transcript to the undergrad office of admissions and a copy of your hs and college transcript to the school of pharmacy so you'll need 2 of each transcript. I mailed them priority with signature required to ensure they got them. Even though the application lets you upload your UNOFFICIAL transcripts, you still have to mail it in for whatever reason. You should get a letter in the mail from the office of admissions in a few days to set up your irattler account once that's all done blah blah blah. There is no way to expedite the process that i know of, you definitely have to apply to the university and the college separately but you can do those at the same time, you don't necessarily have to wait to get accepted to the university in order to apply to the COPPS. I finished my application process in October and had to make several phone calls so, I hope this helps!
Happy Holidays :)

I'm not even halfway finished with my online application. With the deadline being Feb 1, do you think I will have enough time to finish both applications?

Thank you so much for this post! I would have never known.

I'm not even halfway finished with my online application. With the deadline being Feb 1, do you think I will have enough time to finish both applications?

Thank you so much for this post! I would have never known.

You're welcome! The portion that takes the longest are geting the letters of recommendation and getting your transcripts from your previous schools. The application itself doesn't take a long time just make sure you apply LOTS of pressure to whomever your recommenders are because you have less than a month now. The undergrad applucation is a breeze, it might take you 20 mins honestly; Once you fill out the COPPS application, I would print, notarize and mail it ASAP. The LORS are submitted electronically and you can go back and check to see if they've uploaded them. Basically, don't wait to submit the applications. Do them tomorrow, order and pick up your transcripts (in person if possible) so then next week you should be ready to mail everything expedited. For the rest of the month you should work on getting your LORs uploaded even if you have to draft it for them and have them tweak it. Your application has to be complete and at their door by the 1st, it'll be stressful but I think it's doable if you work fast. Don't worry about getting a reply from the school by the 1st just worry about getting everything to them by then. I hope this makes sense I feel like I started to ramble a bit lol

You're welcome! The portion that takes the longest are geting the letters of recommendation and getting your transcripts from your previous schools. The application itself doesn't take a long time just make sure you apply LOTS of pressure to whomever your recommenders are because you have less than a month now. The undergrad applucation is a breeze, it might take you 20 mins honestly; Once you fill out the COPPS application, I would print, notarize and mail it ASAP. The LORS are submitted electronically and you can go back and check to see if they've uploaded them. Basically, don't wait to submit the applications. Do them tomorrow, order and pick up your transcripts (in person if possible) so then next week you should be ready to mail everything expedited. For the rest of the month you should work on getting your LORs uploaded even if you have to draft it for them and have them tweak it. Your application has to be complete and at their door by the 1st, it'll be stressful but I think it's doable if you work fast. Don't worry about getting a reply from the school by the 1st just worry about getting everything to them by then. I hope this makes sense I feel like I started to ramble a bit lol

No you definitely did NOT ramble! It was all really really helpful. Again, thank you

Has anyone got an interview invitation ?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it may be too soon; the deadline was 5 days ago so they're starting to review the applications now.

on the status of the supplemental application does anyone have all sections checked off, I only have one section checked off, and I havent heard anything from them. But I did call and they said that all of my stuff was in...

on the status of the supplemental application does anyone have all sections checked off, I only have one section checked off, and I havent heard anything from them. But I did call and they said that all of my stuff was in...

Yeah. The same happened to me too.

Has anyone got an interview invitation ?

Nope. Not yet. Like @empressfatface said it's too early. From the past forums, we might not hear anything about the interview until around the end of February/beginning of March. I guess we gotta be patient until then.

Yeah. The same happened to me too.

Nope. Not yet. Like @empressfatface said it's too early. From the past forums, we might not hear anything about the interview until around the end of February/beginning of March. I guess we gotta be patient until then.

Same. I called this morning and they said that my application was complete.
---
I also asked have they started looking at applications and she said that they have been reviewing them. I am a transfer and she said I wouldn't hear anything back until the end of March/beginning of April.

Has anyone applied to other schools besides FAMU?

I have tried holding out on applying to other schools and just submitted some of my applications through PharmCAS.. I don't want to have an interview to another school and miss out on an acceptance from another pharmacy school because I'm waiting on FAMU. Anyone in the same predicament?

I have tried holding out on applying to other schools and just submitted some of my applications through PharmCAS.. I don't want to have an interview to another school and miss out on an acceptance from another pharmacy school because I'm waiting on FAMU. Anyone in the same predicament?

Lol! Don't worry. You're not the only one.
I mean it's better to be safe than sorry ya know

I have im also applying to UF Usf and Nova i have already submitted my pharmcas

I've been accepted into two schools in California. I held a spot at both just to be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I've been accepted into two schools in California. I held a spot at both just to be safe.

Oh wow. Congrats! I had no idea you could back out of a spot after paying for it. Is this everywhere?

Thanks, and yeah most schools your able to do that. Only downside is the deposit is non-refundable. @kadee

Good luck ! Are you a transfer student ? Did they call or send you an email

Good luck ! Are you a transfer student ? Did they call or send you an email
Yes Im a transfer student from Florida Atlantic University. I called them they said that all my items were complete so now im just playing the waiting game...

Hey everyone! Just a lil FYI I called them today to check on the status of my app & a rep in the admissions building said there was a preview day coming up on March 25. You have to register for it. I didn't see any info online but she said you just have to call student services to register if anyone was interested.

what is a preview day?

Hey everyone! Just a lil FYI I called them today to check on the status of my app & a rep in the admissions building said there was a preview day coming up on March 25. You have to register for it. I didn't see any info online but she said you just have to call student services to register if anyone was interested.
What do they mean preview day?

Did anyone send in their recommendation letters with their application? Although I called and the office said that my application was complete, I didn't send any letters so I feel that will make my app incomplete.

Did anyone send in their recommendation letters with their application? Although I called and the office said that my application was complete, I didn't send any letters so I feel that will make my app incomplete.
The letter of recommendation is online. I don't think you have to send a hard copy of it.

no, I talked to someone in administration and they said we didnt have to send in the rec. letters ( even though the admissions lady said I had to at first).

Did anyone send in their recommendation letters with their application? Although I called and the office said that my application was complete, I didn't send any letters so I feel that will make my app incomplete.[/
Nope

No recommendations are sent in electronically only

Hello to everyone that applied and is currently playing the waiting game. To you all I would like to say good luck and give it some time. I am currently a P1 now and received my letter in May which was the latest of any school to send out the letters of acceptance so patience is a virtue. With that being said I wish you all the best

Hello to everyone that applied and is currently playing the waiting game. To you all I would like to say good luck and give it some time. I am currently a P1 now and received my letter in May which was the latest of any school to send out the letters of acceptance so patience is a virtue. With that being said I wish you all the best

As someone that has gone through the interview process at FAMU, how would you rate the interview difficulty? I've heard that it could be somewhat stressful/hard. Also, what is the curriculum and IPPE like for a P1?

As someone that has gone through the interview process at FAMU, how would you rate the interview difficulty? I've heard that it could be somewhat stressful/hard. Also, what is the curriculum and IPPE like for a P1?
I only did an interview in Lecom which was not even a interview really, It was more like a casual conversation, so that being said I thought this interview would be somewhat similar but that was not the case. They (2 gentlemen) interviewed me in a conference room and where asking questions back and forth with no facial expressions or any type of feedback what so ever after I would give an answer. So when I left I didnt know what to think lol but it worked out thank the man up above. So needless to say the interview was intense and I hear alot of stories of people crying in the interviews especially if you are unfortunate enough to get interviewed by Dr. Scott
The curriculum is honestly not that bad but im sure youve already heard this and I am going to say it again, its all about time management but it is very doable. I was worried at first too being it is 17 credit hour semesters but honestly its not that bad as long you manage your time wisely. But trust when i say youll be fine

I only did an interview in Lecom which was not even a interview really, It was more like a casual conversation, so that being said I thought this interview would be somewhat similar but that was not the case. They (2 gentlemen) interviewed me in a conference room and where asking questions back and forth with no facial expressions or any type of feedback what so ever after I would give an answer. So when I left I didnt know what to think lol but it worked out thank the man up above. So needless to say the interview was intense and I hear alot of stories of people crying in the interviews especially if you are unfortunate enough to get interviewed by Dr. Scott
The curriculum is honestly not that bad but im sure youve already heard this and I am going to say it again, its all about time management but it is very doable. I was worried at first too being it is 17 credit hour semesters but honestly its not that bad as long you manage your time wisely. But trust when i say youll be fine

Why did it take them so long for you to hear back from the interview?

Why did it take them so long for you to hear back from the interview?
last year they had a deadline extension up to march which was very fortunate for me because I wasnt even planning on applying for pharmacy school that year but I decided to last minute which I think prolonged the process, so I ended up having my interview in april and recieved the letter in may

last year they had a deadline extension up to march which was very fortunate for me because I wasnt even planning on applying for pharmacy school that year but I decided to last minute which I think prolonged the process, so I ended up having my interview in april and recieved the letter in may
Do you know anything about how they are reviewing the applications? Do you know if there is an order? i.e. FAMU pre-pharms first then transfers

What is the weekly schedule like for a first year pharmacy student. Are you in class throughout the whole day everyday of the week? Im a mom and i wanted to know if it is a good idea to bringing a 5 year old that will be in elementary a good idea, or not.

Looking back on previous FAMU threads from past years, it looks like they send out interview letters around mid-March so maybe in the next couple of weeks for interview invites?

Looking back on previous FAMU threads from past years, it looks like they send out interview letters around mid-March so maybe in the next couple of weeks for interview invites?
Yeah I just noticed that as well they say interviews start in april?

Do you know anything about how they are reviewing the applications? Do you know if there is an order? i.e. FAMU pre-pharms first then transfers
To my knowledge pre-pharms are on a first serve basis then transfer students

What is the weekly schedule like for a first year pharmacy student. Are you in class throughout the whole day everyday of the week? Im a mom and i wanted to know if it is a good idea to bringing a 5 year old that will be in elementary a good idea, or not.
well it goes like this, you have 9 "classes" total. One of them doesnt require any work at all, you just have to show up and sign in for an hour (once a week) and hear guest speakers talk about pharmacy related opportunities. so 8 really and all of these are already prescheduled except for 3 (1 hr once a week classes) that you get to choose what day fits your schedule best. so when you are making your schedule these are the only classes you actually get to choose. The earliest you start is 8 am (for lab) and the latest you leave is around 4. So depending on how you choose those classes, you can have one busy day from like 8 to 4 and have a really short day down the week as a result. Also thursdays are pretty much days off except for ippe (pharmacy rotations) which is 3 thursdays out of the semester and the rest of the thursdays you are off to do as you please. So all in all id say 2 out of the 4 days are short days (like 11-3) and 2 semi long days (like 9-4) but again it depends on how you choose those 3 classes. I have a friend that leaves his kids at the famu daycare in the morning (like 8am) until 5pm but its pricey, I think $500+ per kid a month), but it works for him.

Reactions: 2 users
well it goes like this, you have 9 "classes" total. One of them doesnt require any work at all, you just have to show up and sign in for an hour (once a week) and hear guest speakers talk about pharmacy related opportunities. so 8 really and all of these are already prescheduled except for 3 (1 hr once a week classes) that you get to choose what day fits your schedule best. so when you are making your schedule these are the only classes you actually get to choose. The earliest you start is 8 am (for lab) and the latest you leave is around 4. So depending on how you choose those classes, you can have one busy day from like 8 to 4 and have a really short day down the week as a result. Also thursdays are pretty much days off except for ippe (pharmacy rotations) which is 3 thursdays out of the semester and the rest of the thursdays you are off to do as you please. So all in all id say 2 out of the 4 days are short days (like 11-3) and 2 semi long days (like 9-4) but again it depends on how you choose those 3 classes. I have a friend that leaves his kids at the famu daycare in the morning (like 8am) until 5pm but its pricey, I think $500+ per kid a month), but it works for him.

What are the IPPE rotations for a P1?

What are the IPPE rotations for a P1?
Mostly retail (cvs, walmart, publix etc.) and some private pharmacies, some community and some hospital pharmacies

Mostly retail (cvs, walmart, publix etc.) and some private pharmacies, some community and some hospital pharmacies

Do they place you randomly or do you have a choice in where you would like to do your own rotation?

Do they place you randomly or do you have a choice in where you would like to do your own rotation?
randomly (but you could have a preceptor request you like if you know a pharmacist in the area that you know or work with) and that applies with the dates also, you can be anywhere from the 1st 3 weeks of the semester to the last 3 weeks