Family too loud to study in the house, considering moving out?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

babyviet

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I finished school a few weeks ago and I've been considering moving out and living in the dorms on campus because my house is too loud to study. My parents are constantly arguing with each other and my dad argues with my grandma. They argue about simple little things like overcooking things when making dinner, grandma forgets to take her medicine. This is not just occasionally, its every single day and it makes it so hard for me to study because I can never concentrate and its affecting my grades badly. It takes forever for me to do my homework and study because when I'm reading my textbook, I can't process things and have to read the paragraph over and over again. When they argue, its very loud, I close the door to my room and I can still clearly hear every word they are saying. The worst part is when they get extremely angry with each other or when they are talking on the phone. I have talked to them about this and how they need to talk more quietly because its hard for me to study, but even thought I tell them that, they say sorry and then they are quiet for about 10 minutes and then they go back to being loud. I have to constantly come out of my room and tell them to keep the noise level down many times when I'm studying. I try my hardest to study with the noise but its impossible and sometimes I even give up and stop studying and just start crying. It stresses me out and my grades are just terrible for my first year of university because of this. If this keeps going theres no way I'm going to make it to med school. I feel like my only option now is to move out and get a dorm on campus but I really don't want to do that since I live in the city of the university that I attend so it would be a waste of money to just rent a dorm, and I'm not ready to be independent and take care of myself yet since my parents are asian, and they're overprotective. So I am stuck on what to do. Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

....Go somewhere else and study?

Reactions: 3 users
I never studied at home in college because my roommates were always drunk.... just go camp out at the library all day until you're done. Also consider noise cancelling headphones

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Why don't you stay on campus to study? Your school has a library, right? Most college libraries have study rooms, you can use those. I also second the noise cancelling headphones- for your sanity, if nothing else. Even when you're not studying, I'm sure you don't want to listen to them argue.

Why don't you stay on campus to study? Your school has a library, right? Most college libraries have study rooms, you can use those. I also second the noise cancelling headphones- for your sanity, if nothing else. Even when you're not studying, I'm sure you don't want to listen to them argue.

I did forget to mention that I do live far from school. I take 2 buses and a train and I get there in an hour and a half :/ is there headphones you recommend that don't play music? Because I don't study while listening to music.

Pack food to eat on campus, study in the library or other quiet place on campus, just go home to shower, sleep and stock up on more brown bag lunches. Get up & out early in the morning and come home early (but with your studying finished) so you aren't commuting late at night. It isn't easy to shift your sleep to an earlier schedule but it will pay off.

Are you familiar with Google? I just googled "noise cancelling headphones" and found links to headphones that don't play music but just muffle sound. They retail for about $50. Much cheaper than a dorm room.

Reactions: 2 users
I did forget to mention that I do live far from school. I take 2 buses and a train and I get there in an hour and a half :/ is there headphones you recommend that don't play music? Because I don't study while listening to music.

Do you live in a suburb or a city? There's bound to be a coffee shop or a library for your town in the area.

Cheap foam ear plugs + earmuffs you can buy at Academy or any sports/hunting store = almost silent.

Do you think your home is a perpetually negative environment? What I mean by that is, do your family's arguments wear you down emotionally? If so, I would actually consider moving out if it's a possibility. Emotional tolls from family arguments can be rough and costly. Personally, before moving out entirely I would sit down and talk to the family/parents and see if it's something that they can improve.

Noise cancelling headphones are great for households where the "loud noise" is a baby crying, a dog barking, music, etc., but emotional arguments can continue to sting and keep your mind off of your coursework.

Reactions: 1 user
Go study at a local library or Starbucks. Get some noise cancelling headphones.

the idea of spending $1k+ per month to live elsewhere is crazy unless you've got money to burn. You'll need your $$ for the app process and traveling for interviews.

If you'd have to work more hours in order to cover all of these costs, including rent/utilities/cable/wifi/food, then the idea of moving out is totally counter-productive.

If your family would be insulted if you told them that you're going to study elsewhere because of their noise, then tell them you're in a study group or something. I know that's not "honest," but there are people who'd not respond well to any comments that you can't study because of THEIR noise.

Last edited: