Failed the part III in NY, so looking into job options til then.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Serenade_Dream<3

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
NY is one of the only states that require a compounding exam as part of the licensure requirements in addition to the required NAPLEX and MPJE; i found out that I failed it by a few points so my next bet would be to get licensed in other states, which i anticipate will take at least 2 months. I do have an intern license in NY so my other option would be to work as a graduate intern in NY meanwhile. Likely though, i heard that registered pharmacists set a deadline for licensure as a pharmacist. What would be the best next option. I welcome any feedback. THanks

Members don't see this ad.

NY is one of the only states that require a compounding exam as part of the licensure requirements in addition to the required NAPLEX and MPJE; i found out that I failed it by a few points so my next bet would be to get licensed in other states, which i anticipate will take at least 2 months. I do have an intern license in NY so my other option would be to work as a graduate intern in NY meanwhile. Likely though, i heard that registered pharmacists set a deadline for licensure as a pharmacist. What would be the best next option. I welcome any feedback. THanks
Which state(s) are you near? NJ doesn't require intern hours IIRC, but MA does.

Currently living in NYC, so most close to CT, NJ, and PA but PA requires intern hours. NJ does not require intern hours, but they would need an active permit. Since both licensure and permit would take ~1-2 mth, would it be worth getting both?

Members don't see this ad :)
Currently living in NYC, so most close to CT, NJ, and PA but PA requires intern hours. NJ does not require intern hours, but they would need an active permit. Since both licensure and permit would take ~1-2 mth, would it be worth getting both?
I'd call/email the NJ BOP and see if you can just take the MPJE without paying for an intern license (and don't forget to score transfer your NAPLEX within 90 days)

Reactions: 1 user
Wait you can't retake that portion? Or you have to wait a really long time before you can retake. Sorry, I'm not familiar with the New York requirements.

Wait you can't retake that portion? Or you have to wait a really long time before you can retake. Sorry, I'm not familiar with the New York requirements.
It is held both January and June so it'd be awhile, yeah.

You don't need an intern permit for NJ. Just apply for licensure through score transfer and get the process started. They'll give you a list of things at the end of the application to mail them, once they have them you'll be good for the mpje. You can probably get an ATT within a week. You're also going to need to do a background check and get finger printed, I'd advise sucking it up one day and driving out there to one of the centers vs. Waiting for fingerprint cards and mailing them back, it'll save you 2-3 weeks.

PA requires 500 intern hours to be completed under a PA pharmacist. CT is probably another option, I believe they'll accept your NY intern hours you just need to include an affidavit in your application.

Last edited:
You don't need an intern permit for NJ. Just apply for licensure through score transfer and get the process started. They'll give you a list of things at the end of the application to mail them, once they have them you'll be good for the mpje. You can probably get an ATT within a week. You're also going to need to do a background check and get finger printed, I'd advise sucking it up one day and driving out there to one of the centers vs. Waiting for fingerprint cards and mailing them back, it'll save you 2-3 weeks.

PA requires 500 intern hours to be completed under a PA pharmacist. CT is probably another option, I believe they'll accept your NY intern hours you just need to include an affidavit in your application.

Thanks for the tips, I got all the things in so I'm relieved finally. Good luck to you all