Failed pediatric board exam 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kidzdoc2016

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I need some help, please!

I've never posted on here but...I've failed the peds boards exam 4 times now...so depressing. :( ..the last result is 10 points lower than the prior to the last one and the last time I was 3 points away from passing. I've not taken any years off from taking an exam so it's been quite frustrating and costly in every way.

I've tried using Medstudy (books and cards), UCLA videos and notes, went to the Michigan board review and have Laughing Your Way and have access to 8 years of PREP questions.

My strategy has been to watch UCLA videos, read Medstudy and make notes in a binder, do flash cards, and PREP questions for each section (and review the answers) until I finish all sections. Then closer to the exam, review my notes and focus on weakness/high yield material, do PREP questions with 2-3 days of doing real-time test sim day. My timeline has varied from starting in January to starting in June/July...I do work full time and have taken 10 days to up to 3 weeks prior to the exam, depending on my employer's ability to give me time off (in a super busy private practice).

I've never been great at taking standardized tests but I've not struggled this badly ever before. I usually cannot sleep prior to exams and have anxiety during the exam but I don't want to just say it's bc of anxiety - I'm obviously going wrong somewhere in my studying so I'd appreciate any advice and study tips...I don't take any medications but instead try breathing exercises, work outs, prayer, meditation etc. to help. There have been some life changes throughout the years and normal life stresses but nothing unusual.

I'm now planning on retaking it again next year and starting to study in January..I've read some threads on here before but nobody seems to have failed as many times as I have and everyone talks about similar products I've used so I really need some input...or study buddy or ANY ideas...I'm even considering quitting my job and doing locum work to be able to focus on this thing.

Thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry to hear about this. I think the first steps would involve a lot of thinking about how you take tests, what questions you tend to get wrong and why. For instance, it could be because of not knowing the content, not knowing what they are asking/trying to get at, being unable to determine which choice is the "correct" one). There are people that have failed multiple times and ended up passing so I wouldn't give up hope.

Hi all,

I've never posted on here but...I've failed the peds boards exam 4 times now...so depressing. :( ..the last result is 10 points lower than the prior to the last one and the last time I was 3 points away from passing. I've not taken any years off from taking an exam so it's been quite frustrating and costly in every way.

I've tried using Medstudy (books and cards), UCLA videos and notes, went to the Michigan board review and have Laughing Your Way and have access to 8 years of PREP questions.

My strategy has been to watch UCLA videos, read Medstudy and make notes in a binder, do flash cards, and PREP questions for each section (and review the answers) until I finish all sections. Then closer to the exam, review my notes and focus on weakness/high yield material, do PREP questions with 2-3 days of doing real-time test sim day. My timeline has varied from starting in January to starting in June/July...I do work full time and have taken 10 days to up to 3 weeks prior to the exam, depending on my employer's ability to give me time off (in a super busy private practice).

I've never been great at taking standardized tests but I've not struggled this badly ever before. I usually cannot sleep prior to exams and have anxiety during the exam but I don't want to just say it's bc of anxiety - I'm obviously going wrong somewhere in my studying so I'd appreciate any advice and study tips...I don't take any medications but instead try breathing exercises, work outs, prayer, meditation etc. to help. There have been some life changes throughout the years and normal life stresses but nothing unusual.

I'm now planning on retaking it again next year and starting to study in January..I've read some threads on here before but nobody seems to have failed as many times as I have and everyone talks about similar products I've used so I really need some input...or study buddy or ANY ideas...I'm even considering quitting my job and doing locum work to be able to focus on this thing.

Thanks...

hi friend

I never post on here either but have been reading for years and thought I would pay it forward by helping someone else if I can.

WHAT I DID TO PASS AFTER FAILING LAST YEAR:
After I failed my first attempt at the pediatric boards I was really discouraged, felt down, like a failure- etc. Shortly after receiving my score, I tried to identify exactly where I went wrong, and correct my issues. so unfortunately, I know how you feel.

For my first attempt I did the following:
Started studying in august- (was working full time)- after work I would read the medstudy books- they are thin and there are about 5 of them- lot of material, in paragraph form. I didn’t like the way they were laid out and felt that I didn’t have a good source as my main go to. These books were really dense and felt more like a text book than a review book. I had to tease out the info that I needed. I also had to look at other sources- nelsons, lange, internet, etc because I felt that I didn’t have a great source to look at that was concise. I felt that this was my biggest mistake.

Because I didn’t like the medstudy books and didn’t really have another source to go to, I used prep as my main study tool- however it simply doesn’t cover everything. I did prep 2015, 2014, 2013, some of 2012- didn’t touch med study questions-bought the paper book copies but didn’t get to them.

I did most of my studying after work and by 10 pm I was beat and would usually go to sleep regardless of how much I had gotten done that day.

I blew off stats altogether since it didn’t make up much of the test and a few other things that I never really understood (RTA, etc) figuring there couldn’t be too many questions on those topics.

I also studied mile stones mainly by doing questions- I felt like this was another downfall.

If someone wanted to hang out or go have lunch, I usually went rationalizing- well it’s only going to be about 1-2 hours- but everything takes longer than you think it will and I would find myself out of the house for 5-6 hours that I needed as valuable study time. You can’t get time back.

I was exhausted from working and studying, having no life, and just in a bad mood and ready for it to be over. When it came time for the exam I did feel prepared and surprised that I ended up failing by 3 points with a 177. Wished I hadn’t blown anything off.

I think another reason I was surprised that I failed was because to pass this exam you need 70-80% of questions correct. So, if you get 65% of questions correct, you will still fail- but you’ll feel as if you knew the material –because you did! The reason many people fail this test is because of the high percentage needed to pass (they told us this at the AAP conference). I believe FP, IM need roughly 60-65% to pass- same as usmle, etc. So their pass rates are much higher. We simply need to know more to pass the test. (correct me if I’m wrong but this is what I got from lots of ‘google’ research, aap)

Mistakes: blowing off subjects, too many sources, not enough questions and not enough variety of questions, not enough time put in, not recognizing my weaknesses, giving in to being tired, not finishing my goal before going to sleep, not enough repetition.

For my second attempt:

I realized that I am just a poor test taker and what worked for others wouldn’t work for me. Instead of feeling bad for myself, I would need to change my entire mind set.
First thing I needed was a good source. I bought numerous sources: laughing your way (high yield, but might be better for someone who already knows everything- ie to review the week before the exam-- In my opinion this couldn’t be used as your primary source of info), then I got first aid for pediatric boards (personally I didn’t like the way the book was laid out and felt like I had to keep adding to it to make it ‘good’).

Finally I decided that I would do what had worked for me in the past- Kaplan. So I bought “master the boards for pediatrics” and used that as my study bible. (I'm from a carribean school and a lot of foreign grads use Kaplan. Whatever you use for your source needs to be your only source- just pick one that works for you-then don’t use other sources)

Once I had my source I made a solid schedule that was 3 months long. I literally took a piece of paper and drew a calendar on it and then my goals for each day with a catch up day every 10 days or so. I started by dividing the book into 20 page increments and making sure I did not sleep until I finished my goal. Last year, if I was tired, it was late, etc – I went to sleep. This time around, I did not lay down until my goal was reached. Like I sais, you can’t get time back. This is not the usmle- you cannot just keep pushing the test date back until you’re ready. That date in October is coming whether you’re ready or not.

Once I had gone through the book once, I started to add questions. I started with prep 2016 and worked my way backwards going through to prep 2010. Doing questions took me an extremely long time. I read question, picked answer, read explanation- then I would write the explanation in my book next to that topic-even if I got it right- so every question took about 10 min. This way every time I reread the book, the learning point was there and it was constant repetition. I did this over and over until I finished the book multiple times and started to know it cold- at this point I increased the pages per day to 50-70 each time rereading my question points as I went through the book and adding to it daily with new questions I had done. I did this for 3.5 months- I started in june leisurely reading the book which took me the entire month, but then I got quicker and more serious in july. I took one half day off a week- a sat morning or evening to myself and to do something enjoyable. In addition to this , I decided that I needed to do some passive learning as well because between waking up early and working a full day full time, I really wasn’t getting as much time in as I wanted- plus there’s only so much you can get from a book. At this time I purchased medstudy videos which I was able to store on my phone, and also discovered this man on you tube who I really loved. (link here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFO_CjLDvWxmAexhDDXC53Q ) he has a book as well. I discovered him too late in my studying to change sources but had I discovered him earlier maybe I would've bought it? don't know anyone who used the book but the videos are excellent and free. (what a nice man!)

Now this is the crazy part- I knew that if I wanted to pass, with the type of test taker I am , I had to eat, breathe and live this exam until the day I took it. There’s only so much you can get out of a book. So I started to listen to the videos on ALL of my down time. I would wake up and immediately put it on in my pocket- listening to the lectures from my phone while showering, getting dressed, having breakfast, and on my drive to work (this takes up a lot of data on your phone but I had unlimited data so it worked for me). Then over lunch break I would listen to them, and after work if I took my dogs outside even for 5 min, I put it on. Preparing dinner, getting ready for bed, brushing my teeth…you get the picture. ANY time I was not physically at work or studying from my book and questions, I was listening to videos. You’d be surprised how much down time you have in a day because I would get at least 2-3 hours of videos ‘watched’ every single day and I never sat down to physically watch them. I got through all of the med study videos twice and the you tube ones 2-3 x. This really reinforced what I had read. For example if I read cardio that day, I would ‘watch’ that video that day. I got to the point where I would listen and just nod my head ‘I know that, I know that’ etc. Was a good feeling.

I tried to go beyond prep 2010 to earlier years and had purchased questions back to 2005, however be careful doing so because once you get into the earlier years, the info is not the same. Some things do not change (mile stones, etc) but you need to tease out what is still valid. About one month before the exam I purchased the medstudy questions on line- I would recommend buying online rather than paper form- the reason is because the online has about 1800 questions and I believe the books about 500. The reason (my opinion) is because the online ones are VERY repetitive. Maybe 10 of the same exact point worded differently. However, for me I needed this repetition. I also thought the layout of medstudy questions was a lot more like the exam- content and length of question, etc. I had wished I purchased them earlier. I only finished 800 of them and that was w/ aggressively doing them. My advise would be to do a mixture of medstudy and prep from day one. Overall my prep scores were about 60-65% and medstudy 75-80%.

Another thing I did was make my weaknesses my strengths. I studied stats because I knew these were on the exam and questions I could definitely get right with only a few hours of preparing. When I got to the stat’s questions on the exam, I was happy because I knew I would get it right. (math is very easy on the test). I did do well on that portion. I did the same w/ any weakness that I had and didn’t blow off ANY subjects.

For the milestones- I printed out the chart on the peds in review article and highlighted the mile stones that they like to ask. I memorized this entire chart- yes the entire chart. I knew it so well that when my husband was quizzing me “scribbles” I would ask- scribbles spontaneously? Or after demonstration? The mile stone questions-- I am positive I got them all right. It wasn’t that hard memorizing that paper-it’s overwhelming at first, but I just did about one column on one page per day, and then reviewed every week for a few months and then every night the week before the test. I knew them COLD. There are at least 3-4 mile stone questions per block.

I did the abp 2016 practice test on their website and got a 79% on it so I felt good about going into the exam. (last year got a 68% or so)

I passed the test with a 191 which was 14 points higher than last year. (passing = 180)

Well that’s my study schedule! It may sound like overkill and for many smarter/better test takers I’m sure it is. But I knew that I am not one of these people that can read the book once and past the test.

You are a doctor so that means you are capable of doing this. It really becomes mind over matter. I knew that I didn’t want to study, but more so I didn’t want to study for another year in a row… that was for sure! And the goal trumped everything else. I missed out on a lot of things w/ friends but they understand and they’ll be there when you’re done just like they were during usmle, med school, residency, etc. This is the path we chose and we’re not giving up now!

I believe in you! If I did it you can! Best of luck

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to hear about this. I think the first steps would involve a lot of thinking about how you take tests, what questions you tend to get wrong and why. For instance, it could be because of not knowing the content, not knowing what they are asking/trying to get at, being unable to determine which choice is the "correct" one). There are people that have failed multiple times and ended up passing so I wouldn't give up hope.
thanks so much! I appreciate it...what questions would you recommend? PREP or others?

Thanks PedsDocNJ
Wow, I'm so impressed..thanks for sharing all that...it's definitely eye-opening. I think I'm going to have to set up a similar plan. I've never thought of Kaplan but that's what I used for USMLE, as well. Thanks again!

Thanks PedsDocNJ
Wow, I'm so impressed..thanks for sharing all that...it's definitely eye-opening. I think I'm going to have to set up a similar plan. I've never thought of Kaplan but that's what I used for USMLE, as well. Thanks again!

I didn't like prep. 70 is passing on prep and I never had a 70 (sad!!). I thought the medstudy questions were really a lot better and more like the exam. I had a few questions that were the same exact from the test. Repetition was key for me. They repeat a lot of the same question points. I bought it on their website but I think it expires after 3-6 months so maybe wait. Don't buy the paper copies though not as many questions. Good luck !

hi friend

I never post on here either but have been reading for years and thought I would pay it forward by helping someone else if I can.

WHAT I DID TO PASS AFTER FAILING LAST YEAR:
After I failed my first attempt at the pediatric boards I was really discouraged, felt down, like a failure- etc. Shortly after receiving my score, I tried to identify exactly where I went wrong, and correct my issues. so unfortunately, I know how you feel.

For my first attempt I did the following:
Started studying in august- (was working full time)- after work I would read the medstudy books- they are thin and there are about 5 of them- lot of material, in paragraph form. I didn’t like the way they were laid out and felt that I didn’t have a good source as my main go to. These books were really dense and felt more like a text book than a review book. I had to tease out the info that I needed. I also had to look at other sources- nelsons, lange, internet, etc because I felt that I didn’t have a great source to look at that was concise. I felt that this was my biggest mistake.

Because I didn’t like the medstudy books and didn’t really have another source to go to, I used prep as my main study tool- however it simply doesn’t cover everything. I did prep 2015, 2014, 2013, some of 2012- didn’t touch med study questions-bought the paper book copies but didn’t get to them.

I did most of my studying after work and by 10 pm I was beat and would usually go to sleep regardless of how much I had gotten done that day.

I blew off stats altogether since it didn’t make up much of the test and a few other things that I never really understood (RTA, etc) figuring there couldn’t be too many questions on those topics.

I also studied mile stones mainly by doing questions- I felt like this was another downfall.

If someone wanted to hang out or go have lunch, I usually went rationalizing- well it’s only going to be about 1-2 hours- but everything takes longer than you think it will and I would find myself out of the house for 5-6 hours that I needed as valuable study time. You can’t get time back.

I was exhausted from working and studying, having no life, and just in a bad mood and ready for it to be over. When it came time for the exam I did feel prepared and surprised that I ended up failing by 3 points with a 177. Wished I hadn’t blown anything off.

I think another reason I was surprised that I failed was because to pass this exam you need 70-80% of questions correct. So, if you get 65% of questions correct, you will still fail- but you’ll feel as if you knew the material –because you did! The reason many people fail this test is because of the high percentage needed to pass (they told us this at the AAP conference). I believe FP, IM need roughly 60-65% to pass- same as usmle, etc. So their pass rates are much higher. We simply need to know more to pass the test. (correct me if I’m wrong but this is what I got from lots of ‘google’ research, aap)

Mistakes: blowing off subjects, too many sources, not enough questions and not enough variety of questions, not enough time put in, not recognizing my weaknesses, giving in to being tired, not finishing my goal before going to sleep, not enough repetition.

For my second attempt:

I realized that I am just a poor test taker and what worked for others wouldn’t work for me. Instead of feeling bad for myself, I would need to change my entire mind set.
First thing I needed was a good source. I bought numerous sources: laughing your way (high yield, but might be better for someone who already knows everything- ie to review the week before the exam-- In my opinion this couldn’t be used as your primary source of info), then I got first aid for pediatric boards (personally I didn’t like the way the book was laid out and felt like I had to keep adding to it to make it ‘good’).

Finally I decided that I would do what had worked for me in the past- Kaplan. So I bought “master the boards for pediatrics” and used that as my study bible. (I'm from a carribean school and a lot of foreign grads use Kaplan. Whatever you use for your source needs to be your only source- just pick one that works for you-then don’t use other sources)

Once I had my source I made a solid schedule that was 3 months long. I literally took a piece of paper and drew a calendar on it and then my goals for each day with a catch up day every 10 days or so. I started by dividing the book into 20 page increments and making sure I did not sleep until I finished my goal. Last year, if I was tired, it was late, etc – I went to sleep. This time around, I did not lay down until my goal was reached. Like I sais, you can’t get time back. This is not the usmle- you cannot just keep pushing the test date back until you’re ready. That date in October is coming whether you’re ready or not.

Once I had gone through the book once, I started to add questions. I started with prep 2016 and worked my way backwards going through to prep 2010. Doing questions took me an extremely long time. I read question, picked answer, read explanation- then I would write the explanation in my book next to that topic-even if I got it right- so every question took about 10 min. This way every time I reread the book, the learning point was there and it was constant repetition. I did this over and over until I finished the book multiple times and started to know it cold- at this point I increased the pages per day to 50-70 each time rereading my question points as I went through the book and adding to it daily with new questions I had done. I did this for 3.5 months- I started in june leisurely reading the book which took me the entire month, but then I got quicker and more serious in july. I took one half day off a week- a sat morning or evening to myself and to do something enjoyable. In addition to this , I decided that I needed to do some passive learning as well because between waking up early and working a full day full time, I really wasn’t getting as much time in as I wanted- plus there’s only so much you can get from a book. At this time I purchased medstudy videos which I was able to store on my phone, and also discovered this man on you tube who I really loved. (link here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFO_CjLDvWxmAexhDDXC53Q ) he has a book as well. I discovered him too late in my studying to change sources but had I discovered him earlier maybe I would've bought it? don't know anyone who used the book but the videos are excellent and free. (what a nice man!)

Now this is the crazy part- I knew that if I wanted to pass, with the type of test taker I am , I had to eat, breathe and live this exam until the day I took it. There’s only so much you can get out of a book. So I started to listen to the videos on ALL of my down time. I would wake up and immediately put it on in my pocket- listening to the lectures from my phone while showering, getting dressed, having breakfast, and on my drive to work (this takes up a lot of data on your phone but I had unlimited data so it worked for me). Then over lunch break I would listen to them, and after work if I took my dogs outside even for 5 min, I put it on. Preparing dinner, getting ready for bed, brushing my teeth…you get the picture. ANY time I was not physically at work or studying from my book and questions, I was listening to videos. You’d be surprised how much down time you have in a day because I would get at least 2-3 hours of videos ‘watched’ every single day and I never sat down to physically watch them. I got through all of the med study videos twice and the you tube ones 2-3 x. This really reinforced what I had read. For example if I read cardio that day, I would ‘watch’ that video that day. I got to the point where I would listen and just nod my head ‘I know that, I know that’ etc. Was a good feeling.

I tried to go beyond prep 2010 to earlier years and had purchased questions back to 2005, however be careful doing so because once you get into the earlier years, the info is not the same. Some things do not change (mile stones, etc) but you need to tease out what is still valid. About one month before the exam I purchased the medstudy questions on line- I would recommend buying online rather than paper form- the reason is because the online has about 1800 questions and I believe the books about 500. The reason (my opinion) is because the online ones are VERY repetitive. Maybe 10 of the same exact point worded differently. However, for me I needed this repetition. I also thought the layout of medstudy questions was a lot more like the exam- content and length of question, etc. I had wished I purchased them earlier. I only finished 800 of them and that was w/ aggressively doing them. My advise would be to do a mixture of medstudy and prep from day one. Overall my prep scores were about 60-65% and medstudy 75-80%.

Another thing I did was make my weaknesses my strengths. I studied stats because I knew these were on the exam and questions I could definitely get right with only a few hours of preparing. When I got to the stat’s questions on the exam, I was happy because I knew I would get it right. (math is very easy on the test). I did do well on that portion. I did the same w/ any weakness that I had and didn’t blow off ANY subjects.

For the milestones- I printed out the chart on the peds in review article and highlighted the mile stones that they like to ask. I memorized this entire chart- yes the entire chart. I knew it so well that when my husband was quizzing me “scribbles” I would ask- scribbles spontaneously? Or after demonstration? The mile stone questions-- I am positive I got them all right. It wasn’t that hard memorizing that paper-it’s overwhelming at first, but I just did about one column on one page per day, and then reviewed every week for a few months and then every night the week before the test. I knew them COLD. There are at least 3-4 mile stone questions per block.

I did the abp 2016 practice test on their website and got a 79% on it so I felt good about going into the exam. (last year got a 68% or so)

I passed the test with a 191 which was 14 points higher than last year. (passing = 180)

Well that’s my study schedule! It may sound like overkill and for many smarter/better test takers I’m sure it is. But I knew that I am not one of these people that can read the book once and past the test.

You are a doctor so that means you are capable of doing this. It really becomes mind over matter. I knew that I didn’t want to study, but more so I didn’t want to study for another year in a row… that was for sure! And the goal trumped everything else. I missed out on a lot of things w/ friends but they understand and they’ll be there when you’re done just like they were during usmle, med school, residency, etc. This is the path we chose and we’re not giving up now!

I believe in you! If I did it you can! Best of luck

Thank you soon much for this advice!!! I also failed and was beating up on myself for missing it by 5 points. I too felt I was prepared. I didn't think I would be greatly above the mean but I felt like i knew enough. I honestly couldn't think of what I could do differently the next time around studying until your post. Of course there were some things I sort of didn't spend as much time on, such as Stats, considering it was something I didn't do well on in all of the Step exams. But I didn't think that would be enough to hurt me. I too have heard that the passing score for this exam is really high. I also heard they changed the scoring in the last couple years making it higher. And now they may be changing it back. The high passing score for the peds boards can sort of explain how people I know are passing their boards the first time around in other specialities and they had many hiccups during medical school and with the step exams. I'm praying maybe next week we will get an email saying they need to retract it for a re-score because I was so close. There's another thread on this site with someone asking about paying to re-score the exam. I didn't know this option existed. Do any of you know of someone that has done that and was successful? It does cost but I don't know if its worth it being so close to passing

I thought they recently changed it so that anyone who meets a preset passing score can pass the boards each year. I think it used to be scaled so that only the top 75% or 80% passed no matter how high anyone's actual score. I think more people are passing under the new system and not fewer. This isn't to be discouraging... just maybe don't count on that retraction email...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120AZ using Tapatalk

Agreed, more people are passing under the new system and it is more fair unless the exam this year was far more challenging and more than 25% failed which I don't think was the case.

I think the best study plan for peds boards is the "Pediatrics Board Review" by Aashish Goyal + 5 years of PREP questions (doing wrong questions over and over again) +Med Study questions+ Board Vitals questions (so about 1500-2000 questions)

I am looking to get rid of the following items, message me if you are interested and I can ship it to you.
1. Med Study Flash Cards (2016)
2. PREP questions 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2016
3. Med Study books 2012 edition.

All these are in very good condition with minimal writing/ highlighting. Please message me or email for more information: [email protected] .

Hi,
Super late post, but I absolutely get where you're coming from. I've failed twice myself (even typing that makes me sad) and am retaking it this fall. The loneliness that can come from failing is enough to drive you nuts. It's the one of the most humbling experiences I've had.

My first year, straight out of residency, I started studying in June-ish. I only used MedStudy questions, flashcards, and I cracked open the MedStudy books once. I had 2 years of PREP to go through as well. But that was it. I've always been a pretty good test-taker. I barely studied for Step 3 and knocked it out of the park after only studying for a month. All of my ITE exams said I would be fine, so I was pretty confident. Even after I took the exam, felt great! However, come November, I found out I missed it by 5 points (175). Talk about a gut-punch. Eventually, I picked myself up and decided I would take it again, but this time have a game plan.

The second time, I started studying in January with the plan to pace myself to get as much information as possible. I used Laughing Your Way, took notes in a separate notebook. I went through the book itself twice. I still used MedStudy questions and didn't use flashcards. I felt much more prepared in knowledge so it broke my heart when I failed again, this time got a 177. I was absolutely devastated.

This year, I was tipped off on the Pediatric Board Review system and I can tell you I've noticed HUGE a difference in my studying. This is what I've noticed so far, after using the system since January:
1) There's a video and audio component which is big for me. I've always been a better auditory learner and I can remember one of my biggest tools in Step 1 were the Goljian lectures. I still hear those mnemonics in my head from those at times.
2) I discovered I was answering the questions COMPLETELY wrong. I've been using what the actual question is ASKING, not just what I deduce the examiner is "trying" to say. That alone has been invaluable.
3) Using just one big resource to study from has really helped me not feel so overwhelmed by information.
My goal is to go over the main study materials from PBR 6 times, in various combinations of reading/listening/watching and do practice questions from Exam Masters (I didn't really care for the format of Board Vitals, it was distracting for me). I want to get the 2017 and 2016 PREP to be current with the knowledge base as well. I'm not a big PREP fan and noticed the questions are waaayyyy too long and detailed for what the actual board exam gives. So we'll see how it goes this time!

Also, if you're still looking for a study partner, I'm definitely interested!

I really think the exam is just as much about testing your general pediatrics knowledge as assessing how good you are at taking a test. Thus, I think the most important part of studying is taking practice questions.

Just wanted to let you all know that I finally passed...thanks for everyone’s response, support and advice! And to anyone else who did not pass this last time, send me a message if you would like to hear my super long story of what I did differently this last time.

Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanted to let you all know that I finally passed...thanks for everyone’s response, support and advice! And to anyone else who did not pass this last time, send me a message if you would like to hear my super long story of what I did differently this last time.

Hi, this is my first time on here in quite some time but I took the boards again this past fall and didn't pass and have started studying for the 3rd time. Any advice would be great.

Hi everyone,

This is my first time posting here. I failed the boards last year and passed this year. I was devastated last year and searched for answers on here and I told myself I would share my experience if I passed. I passed by 30 points over the passing score this year!

I have always been a poor test taker but I was convinced I had passed last year, as I had studied more than anyone I knew. I was shocked and in denial for months. This is how I did things differently the second time around.

Since I studied more than I should have last year and still did not pass, I knew I had to do something drastically different. Last year I did laughing and took extensive notes, medstudy questions twice, and 4-5 years of prep. I spent countless hours studying. However looking back the mistake I made was not focusing on the subjects that I thought I could glimpse over (metabolic, genetic, statistic etc). EVERY subject counts, and you have to study everything in detail. I did not pass by 3 points the first time. I also made the mistake of not asking for any time off the first time around and worked until the day of.

This time I bought the medstudy package (video, audio, flashcards, questions, books etc). I used this and this alone as my study source. I watched all the medstudy videos starting in June and highlighted the book that accompanied the video. I did not read the medstudy books themselves as they are very dense. Then I would do the medstudy questions and flashcard. While going through the note from the video and medstudy questions, I wrote additional information on the flashcards/made new flash cards. On my long drive to work, i would listen to the audio (I am not much of an auditory learner) but I figured anything will help. I went through the questions once. Then two weeks before the test, I reviewed all of my flash cards, twice. These flashcards now had all of the information condensed from questions and video. I did three years of prep somewhere in between but did not focus on it during the final months. I did not use laughing again since I did not think it had enough information. I also took a month off from work to do all of this, which was probably overkill. I would recommend 2 weeks off if you are able to get it.

When you finally pass, this nightmare will be over and none of this would matter anymore. Feel free to message me with any questions!

Reactions: 3 users
I can't say enough good things about the NEJM Peds Questions. Thought they were the most helpful of all the study guides/questions.

I failed last year also but passed this year. A lot was on the line this year because the continuation of my contract was contingent on passing the boards. Last year I failed by 5 points. Two weeks prior to the exam last year, I had to go out of town for a funeral.

What did I do differently? I did 3 years of PREP (twice). I read Laughing Your Way (twice). Last time I had only gone through PREP once and read LYW once. Basically I doubled my effort and trusted my sources. One big thing that also helped was purchasing the Pass Machine (an online board review), based on a friend's recommendation. Their lectures are great but the question bank needs some retooling. I think Pass Machine really helped me a lot- because they really hit high yield stuff.

Furthermore, being a bit superstitious, I took the exam at the Prometric center where I did the best on any standardized exam (Step 1). Hey! It helped! Sometimes ya gotta step out of a toxic situation!

Anyhow I was really discouraged last year. But this year is a lot better!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi all,

Thanks...

I wanted to post a little something for those who may not have passed the pediatric certification initial test or anyone reading and considering what to use for studying for their first attempt. I passed this year on my fourth attempt. My job was at stake this year and I would have lost my current position if I had not passed. Not to mention the burden of worrying about this test for the last 4 years and the sacrifice we make for studying in addition to work. In the past I studied from medstudy and qbanks only. The year of my 3rd attempt, I completed the entire board vitals qbank, 3 years of pedialink, and saw a ‘test shrink’ weekly. I met with another pediatrician who had failed 5 times and followed her plan. My score actually went down that year!

I came across PBR (Pediatrics board review) on this student doctor forum while searching for others who had failed multiple times. I began looking over Ashish Goyal's (director/author of PBR) course materials and considering if PBR might be right for me. At first, I honestly wondered if it was all a sales pitch. I downloaded the first two chapters for free and watched the introductory video to test taking strategy. I did a few practice questions and automatically noticed a difference. So I went all in and decided to trust the PBR method. I did the full online access and full online test strategy course. I also got the personalized study schedule so that I would feel accountable to someone else other than only myself. All are available to review at pediatric board review.

I have read l posts over the past talking about needing a ‘core knowledge’ from other review material first. You don’t- Ashish gives you all the knowledge you will need to pass. The qbanks from the big names (medstudy, board vitals, et) give you the far fetched info but don’t provide that core knowledge. It’s hard but you have to trust the method and you also have to be ‘all in’. Ashish is going to be tough but realistic at times. He’s going to tell you the sacrifices you have to make to pass. It’s all true and it’s worth listening so you don’t spend year after year sacrificing time, money and heartache.

This is a hard test and the only thing I’ve ever let beat me. I have NO doubt I would have been in the same boat this year if I hadn’t found PBR. I took the plunge because after all what I was doing wasn’t helping. I’m posting now just hoping someone will read this and have the good fortune to succeed in passing. I am grateful eternally to Ashish and PBR and want to pay it forward. Log onto PBR and check it out!

Reactions: 2 users
I used PBR to help me pass too and the guidance was great. It was still pretty new back then, but there was an article about the 3 main things that it takes to pass the pediatric boards and that was great "tough love" advice. it came down to having good information in front of me, being able to go through it again and again, and knowing how to answer tricky board questions. Some of the mnemonics still stick with me, but a lot of the info is also gone from my brain. But when it comes to passing that exam, all you should focus on is passing and PBR helped me manage my expectations and the information.

Last year I missed passing by 1 point. I was having major anxiety attacks and trouble focusing after some major life changes and loss.

This year a colleague recommended PBR. I purchased their bundle and read through the book 3-5 times (more times through my weaker subjects). It was a comprehensive but not an encyclopedia! I also listened to all the video lectures and his weekly topic Q&A's (in the late summer) once and then went through the audio lectures so many times I lost count during my commute to work and while spending time working out. I used the Medstudy questions and went through them all once.

I left test day feeling like I processed everything much better than the year before. When scores came back my score improved over 20 points and I was above national average for first time ever!

I highly recommend the PBR program!

Hi, this is my first time on here in quite some time but I took the boards again this past fall and didn't pass and have started studying for the 3rd time. Any advice would be great.

Same here - it's my third time as well. Sending well wishes - perhaps we can chat separately and provide virtual support.

Sadly failed my boards. I probably didn't give it enough time studying as it warrant due to starting fellowship and turbulent final year in residency. I used Medstudy vids ( one time through, but went through the book 3-4 times), Med study q bank( one time through) Rosh review ( twice--- prob not the best resource). I have the flash cards from med study but didn't really use and neglected prep again. I am a little defeat and disappointed with myself. Everybody has been supportive, but trying to figure out what I need to do to succeed moving forward.

I don't know if its worth wild to focus on the resources I have and just cycle through them more. Any feed back on the NEJM+ board review? I saw one brief post on it above. Thanks for your insight.

Sadly failed my boards. I probably didn't give it enough time studying as it warrant due to starting fellowship and turbulent final year in residency. I used Medstudy vids ( one time through, but went through the book 3-4 times), Med study q bank( one time through) Rosh review ( twice--- prob not the best resource). I have the flash cards from med study but didn't really use and neglected prep again. I am a little defeat and disappointed with myself. Everybody has been supportive, but trying to figure out what I need to do to succeed moving forward.

I don't know if its worth wild to focus on the resources I have and just cycle through them more. Any feed back on the NEJM+ board review? I saw one brief post on it above. Thanks for your insight.

I think number 1 is limiting your resources honestly. I chose MedStudy personally. I did the course, flashcards, books, and questions. And 3 years of Prep questions twice. In the last month, I mostly did just questions so that test day would just feel like another day of taking questions. I would do at least 100-150 questions every day, especially in the last 2 weeks. Picking a resource and sticking with it so you know everything in depth instead of a shallower knowledge of a lot of different resources. That's my personal experience at least.

Hi all,

Thanks...
would like to speak with you with some ideas.
richard prager md fccp fccm
email me : [email protected]