Failed NPTE JULY 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

D-Rif17

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all! As with every cycle of the NPTE it is the unfortunate event that some test takes will have not passed - myself included. I was crushed when I found out that I did not pass the exam. Felt as if all my hard work and studies were of no use. However, after reading some posts related to this I realized that failing the NPTE is not a reflection of one's knowledge but just a bump in the road. I started this thread for individuals that may be in the same boat to help spread some positive energy and tips on how to overcome this obstacle. For anyone that may have passed the exam, what tips would you offer for those of us that were unsuccessful?

Best of luck to all and stay POSITIVE!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello all! As with every cycle of the NPTE it is the unfortunate event that some test takes will have not passed - myself included. I was crushed when I found out that I did not pass the exam. Felt as if all my hard work and studies were of no use. However, after reading some posts related to this I realized that failing the NPTE is not a reflection of one's knowledge but just a bump in the road. I started this thread for individuals that may be in the same boat to help spread some positive energy and tips on how to overcome this obstacle. For anyone that may have passed the exam, what tips would you offer for those of us that were unsuccessful?

Best of luck to all and stay POSITIVE!
So sorry to hear about the exam, D-Rif17. I too, took the exam on July 19th and failed with a score of 594. I felt crushed, did some soul-searching, and did everything in my power to set myself for greater success the next time around. I also had a difficult time telling my future employer of my situation but they were unbelievably understanding and agreed to wait for me to pass the October exam. What I am doing now is preparing to take an online prep course. It was spendy, but hopefully it will be worth it. I also purchased the TherapEd study book. Scorebuilders didn't seem to help much the first time around. Above all else, I am trying to let my brain REST before I attempt to tackle this beast again. I feel for you. But remember, you are not alone!!

So I scored a 598 on this past NPTE (July 19th) and this was my first attempt. I was wondering if anybody has ever appealed and if they had any success. I understand it costs $150 to do so but I read somewhere if you're that close it's worth a shot. It's nice to know I'm not alone in this but I can't believe I failed by 1 question .

So I scored a 598 on this past NPTE (July 19th) and this was my first attempt. I was wondering if anybody has ever appealed and if they had any success. I understand it costs $150 to do so but I read somewhere if you're that close it's worth a shot. It's nice to know I'm not alone in this but I can't believe I failed by 1 question .

Really sorry to hear that. I have read a few posts on Facebook regarding the appeal process, however the majority concluded it is very rare that it will result in a grade change. Best of luck if you choose to go through with it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Really sorry to hear that. I have read a few posts on Facebook regarding the appeal process, however the majority concluded it is very rare that it will result in a grade change. Best of luck if you choose to go through with it!
Do you remember where you read about that exactly? Just trying to get in contact with someone that has done it. Thank you!

So sorry to hear about the exam, D-Rif17. I too, took the exam on July 19th and failed with a score of 594. I felt crushed, did some soul-searching, and did everything in my power to set myself for greater success the next time around. I also had a difficult time telling my future employer of my situation but they were unbelievably understanding and agreed to wait for me to pass the October exam. What I am doing now is preparing to take an online prep course. It was spendy, but hopefully it will be worth it. I also purchased the TherapEd study book. Scorebuilders didn't seem to help much the first time around. Above all else, I am trying to let my brain REST before I attempt to tackle this beast again. I feel for you. But remember, you are not alone!!
I also failed too. Which prep course are you taking? Ive heard about so many, but I dont know which one is the best

I also failed too. Which prep course are you taking? Ive heard about so many, but I dont know which one is the best
I am taking the "PT final exam" directed by Will Crane, DPT. I also purchased the Therapy Ed exam study guide so hopefully that helps. Will this next exam be your 2nd attempt?

I had the same unfortunate experience. Is anyone looking for a study partner? I think having someone to go over the information with would be beneficial.

I failed by four questions two years ago and got a 667 on the second attempt. Enjoy your life the next few months, study diligently, and pass the next time.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you remember where you read about that exactly? Just trying to get in contact with someone that has done it. Thank you!
I tried searching for it again but no luck. I think it was on a FB group or a blog. The FB group may have been NPTE Study Buddy or NPTE Final Frontier.

I failed by four questions two years ago and got a 667 on the second attempt. Enjoy your life the next few months, study diligently, and pass the next time.
Any advice for conquering it the next time around? Right now, it's hard to not feel defeated :(

For those who didn't make it, take a break for few days, do something else than studying, cry if you have to, then hit the reset button, clear your mind and put the past behind and start thinking positive. Absolutely don't let negative energies linger around you.

Be honest to yourself when evaluating your weaknesses and study habits. Spend more time on your weakness and less time on those you've already mastered. Don't just read books. Make notes! Correlate concepts! Repeat over and over again until it forms an engram in your brain. Treat practice exams as if it's the NPTE. If you're going to take your NPTE at 8am, take practice exam at 8am too. Observe the 15 minute break too after the 2nd section. This will train your your mental endurance you needed for the 5 hr exam. Review ALL the questions, choices and rationales. Ask yourself why did you get it wrong? It is because of memorization problem, confused about the concept, or no idea about concept? You now then again review about that concept.

Hope this helps. This is what helped me pass.

Failure on the exam is not a reflection of your skills as physical therapist or your potential, dont think otherwise. Use this as another learning opportunity to make you that much more prepared when you start your career. Good luck!

Thank you for the advice! I purchased the performance feedback report and it allowed me to see my weak points. Its a little pricey ($90) but I think its a valuable tool.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the advice! I purchased the performance feedback report and it allowed me to see my weak points. Its a little pricey ($90) but I think its a valuable tool.

It will serve as a guide to know where to focus. How was your non system and other system areas?

It will serve as a guide to know where to focus. How was your non system and other system areas?
My Non-systems domain scale score was 603 (17/25 correct) and my scale score for other systems was 562 (17/33 correct). So I definitely need to devote some time to those areas.

I am taking the "PT final exam" directed by Will Crane, DPT. I also purchased the Therapy Ed exam study guide so hopefully that helps. Will this next exam be your 2nd attempt?
After seeing your message I looked up PT Final Exam. Is this something you have seen others use or did you find this accidentally? It states it starts 8 weeks prior to the exam, so do you have to wait to purchase late August?

Sorry for all questions. Bit anxious, looking for good credible class. I used up all my PEAT exams and Scorebuilders/ o'sullivain exams so a class with good resources to help with my studying.

My Non-systems domain scale score was 603 (17/25 correct) and my scale score for other systems was 562 (17/33 correct). So I definitely need to devote some time to those areas.

Yes, pay more attention to these sections. They hold a lot of points because they only have fewer items in them compare to Musculo, Cardio/Pulmo, and Neuro.

After seeing your message I looked up PT Final Exam. Is this something you have seen others use or did you find this accidentally? It states it starts 8 weeks prior to the exam, so do you have to wait to purchase late August?

Sorry for all questions. Bit anxious, looking for good credible class. I used up all my PEAT exams and Scorebuilders/ o'sullivain exams so a class with good resources to help with my studying.

You can check out NPTE study buddy review class also. You can join anytime and start watching their past recorded lectures while waiting for the next October batch lectures. One time fee until you pass.

You can check out NPTE study buddy review class also. You can join anytime and start watching their past recorded lectures while waiting for the next October batch lectures. One time fee until you pass.
Do you know if this different from the NPTE Final Frontier? It's really confusing. And Final Frontier seems to be the most expensive, so I thought it included a Buddy System with it.

Do you know if this different from the NPTE Final Frontier? It's really confusing. And Final Frontier seems to be the most expensive, so I thought it included a Buddy System with it.

NPTE Study Buddy is different from Final Frontier. Don't be mislead by the name StudyBuddy, that's just the name of the review class. Lol! I'm not sure how they do it at Final Frontier, but at NPTE StudyBuddy they have batches of live webinars (say January NPTE, April NPTE, July NPTE, Oct NPTE) where you can watch the lectures and also ask questions. If you miss a webinar, you can watch the recorded one. If you want to watch previous batches of webinars, you can request for access too. You can also ask for guidance from the head of the team -Ankit Shahi.

I took the exam on July 18th and did not pass with a score of 594. I was initially in shock the first 30 minutes after seeing "Failed" on the FSBPT site. Then the crying began, followed by more crying and asking the question "why?" Everytime I thought of telling my family and friends I would start crying again. I'd felt like I let my loved ones down ,myself, and my DPT program. Countless hours studying, money, and energy spent to fail by not very much. Now 2 days later, I am still crying off and on (thankfully not as much), have told most of my immediate family/friends, and am preparing to make a game plan to attack this monster again and pass with flying colors. Any recommendations for beneficial remediation courses?? I saw that "therapyexamprep" is an offered course, but quite spendy!!!
Also, I would be open to a study buddy or study group too!!!

NPTE Study Buddy is different from Final Frontier. Don't be mislead by the name StudyBuddy, that's just the name of the review class. Lol! I'm not sure how they do it at Final Frontier, but at NPTE StudyBuddy they have batches of live webinars (say January NPTE, April NPTE, July NPTE, Oct NPTE) where you can watch the lectures and also ask questions. If you miss a webinar, you can watch the recorded one. If you want to watch previous batches of webinars, you can request for access too. You can also ask for guidance from the head of the team -Ankit Shahi.
Thank you for your help! Also I lied, NPTE Study Buddy class is $799. Final Frontier $540. PT final review was like $450 or something. I think I'm going to do final frontier because there's refund available. Hopefully it does not seem suited for me, then I can joint the PT FINAL Review by Dr. Crane.

I passed first try and only used the PEAT exams and the NPTE pocket prep (I got the premium version) which was incredibly helpful. I didn't use a guide, do other tests or take classes! The PEATs and the pocket prep app are both written by the people who write the actual exam so use them both!!

For the PEAT go over every answer to every question: if option A was the correct option great but you still need to look up and understand B, C and D because they were listed for a reason and signify their importance for your upcoming exam!

And, absolutely get the NPTE pocket prep, upgrade it so you have access to all the questions and then do every question. I'm honestly not sure why people don't give this advice more often. I truly believe you will all pass if you do this.

This is my best advice because it worked for me. I was overwhelmed by the huge study guides and the countless flash cards and the books and the other practice exams available which is why I simplified everything and focused on what I thought was the most important.

I really hope this helps some of you and I wish you the best of luck. I have every faith you can and will pass. Just stay calm and take the exam as if you were taking it in your room!

Any advice for conquering it the next time around? Right now, it's hard to not feel defeated :(

-Study for the exam for 4-5 hours at the same time you will take the exam. No distractions or food. You won't have either during the exam. Sit in that chair for 4-5 hours.
-Take every practice exam you can, and spend a lot of time analyzing your wrong answers.
-Make charts, make flash cards, and re-arrange the material any way you can. Have fun doing it.
-Don't waste time reviewing things you don't need to review or already know.
-Study 1-2 hours/day for the next month so you don't forget everything but then 4-5 hours starting six weeks before the exam.
-Enjoy your life and find other things to do.
-Don't study the day before. I didn't use the internet at all and completely disconnected.
-Take the exam at the time of peak performance. I'm a morning person and started the exam at 8 am.
-Understand that you have a 99% chance of being a physical therapist one year from now.

I passed the first try and mainly studied O'Sullivan and PT content master app. Bought scorebuilder review book but found it to be very unstructured. Take as many practice exam as you can and go over the exam afterwards (even the ones you got correct). Understand and analyze the explanation as to why the correct answer was such. It helped me get used to the structure of the exam and how to think through questions. Use your elimination skills. You normally can get rid of 2 out of the 4 selections instantly. Good luck and hope you pass next time. Keep your head up!

Hello, I am a foreign trained PT. Graduated ages ago and its been 10years since I last practice PT. I forgot the basic foundations on physical therapy. I tried enrolling at a online review program but I still fail the npte. I admit I was in a hurry to take the exam because of some eligibility concerns for us foreign trained. I know now that NPTE is not just about memorization of topics, would anyone recommend practice exams, online courses etc which can help out to think clinically/critically on answering questions?

Thank you for your help! Also I lied, NPTE Study Buddy class is $799. Final Frontier $540. PT final review was like $450 or something. I think I'm going to do final frontier because there's refund available. Hopefully it does not seem suited for me, then I can joint the PT FINAL Review by Dr. Crane.
I tried to inquire on Will Cranes review class too and I am just confuse on what was said in their site, it says "till you pass?" what does that mean, one time payment and you can attend the class till I pass?

I tried to inquire on Will Cranes review class too and I am just confuse on what was said in their site, it says "till you pass?" what does that mean, one time payment and you can attend the class till I pass?

I was enrolled in Will Crane's review class in preparation for the July exam. The way it works is you can sign up for a 3 month course (I paid $445) in which you have access to the materials. One of the options is paying $895 and you have access to it until you pass. I believe there are some requirements to re-enroll in the event that you do not pass and still need access to the course. According to their website "Till you pass access: up to 6 live course series or 24 months, whichever comes first. Must send score report to re-enlist for free. No upgrades available" Hope this helps!

Thank you very much, i will look into it.. for now, i am trying to meditate and get my confidence back again...

Hey guys, I used Therapy Ed's Review book and took the class they offered (2 Day Course) and passed first try. I found that both book and course were extremely helpful, not just in terms of content, but in terms of structuring how to study, how long to study and how to identify weaknesses. What I found worked for me was studying for 3-5 hours a day max. Studying all day never really worked for me, I would be mentally/physically exhausted after long days like that and would feel like I didn't absorb any information. Like some other posters have said, you need to train yourself. Study for the same length/time as the NPTE. If you are taking an 8 o'clock test, go through your morning routine as if you are going to take the test, and be ready to sit down and study at 8. Treat practice exams the same way. When reviewing practice exams, understand why the right answer is right, but also why the wrong answers are wrong. For me, I think knowing why something is wrong helped shaped my thinking more than knowing what was right.

I thought I'd offer some advice as I am not a great test taker, however I did pass on the first time (to my surprise). I used PEAT and score builders. I only passed the practice PEAT out of all 5 tests. I went over all the answers right and wrong for every test, but i definitely studied the PEAT questions more heavily. I went over both of those tests more than once, I recommend this as you may miss something the first go around. I would say the one thing that helped me was having a study partner. Your study partner needs to be someone you can bounce ideas off of and one who has a similar way of studying. You don't want a study partner that wants to compete with you or one who may stress you out. Secondly, pictures! I used my computer to take all my notes on and if there was a concept or pathology I was foggy on I would google a picture for it, this helped tremendously as I am a visual learner.

Although, I was lucky enough to pass the NPTE on my first attempt. One thing i wouldve done differently if i had to retake would be to write notes on a seperate notebook and refer back to them everyday before bed. Make the complex simple by writing key words and differentiating between certain pathologies. I used the O'Sullivan book and that book is literally a dry read. However, in my opinion much better than Scorebuilders in regards to content. Definitely have a seperate notebook to write your condensed notes on. This will be much more manageable in the long run. Do this for the big 3 (musculo, cardio, and neuro) as well as other areas and you will be in good shape to pass. Also, I personally did not like the Osullivan Course. But most of my colleagues seemed to like it.

1. study 3 hours in the morning. take a break. study 3 hours in the afternoon.
2. study actively, take notes, highlight, dont passively read.
3. review old things as you read forward (if 1 page talks about the effects of hypocalcemia and 5 pages after that talks about it again, look back at it and see how it relates to each other).
4. take as many tests as you can, spread out of course, not all at once, and review all your answers regardless if you got it right, wrong, or guessed.
5. i think the O'sullivan book is best overall, I've seen the scorebuilders, and it looks nice, but content and test wise, subpar.
6. look further than the book, google or whatever. MAKE LEARNING YOUR MISSION. you are going to be a PT, you want to be the best for your patients and that means knowing everything.
7. remember, if you study hard now, you dont have to study hard later. <-- main thing that kept me going even when i was not feeling like studying.

Not sure if this would help...but i literally typed up a quizlet on all major sections including musculoskeletal, cardiovascular, neuro, etc using the the Osullivans book (up to chapter 8). I have tons of pictures and mnemonics that really helped me to learn the material. Osullivan is a great book, but completely dry. I am a visual learner therefore added hundreds of pictures relevant to the information really helped me. Anyways, go to quizlet. Look up InpatientDPT (baby lion image) and enter the password: pass. My friend failed the NPTE 3 times and decided to use quizlet and was finally successful. Let me know if this helps :). Good luck.

**I added this to an earlier forum. Hope this helps.

I'm sorry to hear that. As someone who has failed it three times and having passed it on the 4th try, trust me when I say I know the feeling. So far you have the right attitude. Keep up the positive attitude!
Here is my advice:
1. I was very stubborn and didn't think I needed help studying but I did. Before going into my 4th attempt taking the NPTE I signed up to an online course. I used Therapy Exam Prep (Therapy Exam Prep - Prepare for the NPTE | NPTAE Online). I highly recommend them. They teach you how to study proactively and break down each day what you should focus on.
2. Study with somebody, even if that person isn't a PT. You can at least go over what you learned with them. Teaching someone is the best way for you to learn too.
2. I always CRASHED hard after the 2nd half. Use the full 15 minute break given to. Step outside and stretch! Eat something in between the break.

Good luck to you! I'm sure you will smash it out of the park next time :)

One other piece to add: if taking notes and highlighting isn't your thing cause it can take a lot longer when doing that...after reading the question or paragraph, summarize the information outloud or ask yourself questions about what you just read. Only do that for information you weren't comfortable/familiar with.

Thank you very much for all of your suggestions! I am picking every bit of advice i get from here then apply it in my studying... and also i am still looking for a book.. i cant afford any brand new ones but hand me down would be nice... if you wanna sell it, i hope its reasonable enough for the price (just consider it as a charity).. thank you so much!