FAILED NAPLEX TWICE--NEED HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shortie09

Accepted Pharmacy Student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have failed the NAPLEX twice now and am in need of some serious guidance. It is a big blow to the ego & wallet and confidence failing this exam after preparing very hard for the exams. I have used RxPrep in the past.

Is there anyone else out there that has failed and have any advice in how to pass this test??

I would greatly appreciate any help I can get! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Are you studying it differently this time?

The questions should be more like "are you actually studying it this time?" lol

I am studying it differently this time by actually studying for it. Purchased rxprep online lectures. Taking my own notes. Making note cards for brand/generic names. Taking time to take the quizzes and going back to the book to make sure I review ones I missed. etc....

First time, I crammed thru about 10 chapters barely memorizing any detailed facts while sipping coffee at a starbucks... granted, alot happened like.. a divorce, family issues, getting turned down on the day of naplex at the Pearson center, then not being able to study for naplex for two weeks cause I had to studied for mpje. While waiting for mpje results, I was too anxious to focus so couldn't study.... thank god I passed mpje... Tried to cram naplex again 3 days before rescheduled date... obviously... my game plan, if i had any, did not work out...

Anywho, I'll let you know if my new plan worked out in about 2 months lol

I dont buy it either that people "studied it for 2 weeks while working and passed." I believe they just got lucky more than anything with questions they so happened to know or guessed correctly that gave them the needed push to a passing score.

You have to understand that almost everyone who said that (including me), worked 3 or 4 straight years as an intern and have more than 4,000 hours lifetime practice (I officially stopped declaring start of 3rd year at 2,000 non-school hours). I usually believe it, especially out of my generation who I knew had people drunk take the exam as a masochistic exercise and passed. The exam then and now is supposed to be set where a practicing pharmacist should be able to cold-turkey pass the exam. The calculations are bordering on that, but no, "they so happened to know" mostly comes down to enough practice experience that you know the situations where and where not to use them. I actually recommend if someone fails NAPLEX a second time to become an intern and work some hours (that hasn't happened in my alma mater for several years). I did overprepare for my NAPLEX, because I had that experience to go on. And yes, I haven't practiced standard pharmacy in several years, and took what you are going to take in November as a calibration measure for NABP, and handily passed without studying more than Ansel's calculations the night before as I never did aliquots or mOsm in practice. The questions you will face are actually less theoretical than the ones I did more than a decade ago. Whether it is harder or not does depend on some luck with what you are give.

But, life happens (@KoreanPharmacist) and no level of preparation can always make up for life, so I'd say that it was a personal fluke, do a better job preparing in study as you self-admitted that you were underprepared, but also including some working as a graduate intern as it is very helpful to have tactile context for the drugs. I'd recommend you quickly scan PI's of anything you don't recognize the use, the MOA, or the dosing/contraindications in any standard retail or hospital pharmacy. And pick a better guy/gal next time :)...

Again, please don't leave your preparation just to textbook study, work (it's called a practice for a reason) a bit to remember the context of what is being examined as well as why.

Last edited:
Agreed! You can only memorize so much. You need practical experience to reinforce what you are learning

Members don't see this ad :)
You have to understand that almost everyone who said that (including me), worked 3 or 4 straight years as an intern and have more than 4,000 hours lifetime practice (I officially stopped declaring start of 3rd year at 2,000 non-school hours). I usually believe it, especially out of my generation who I knew had people drunk take the exam as a masochistic exercise and passed. The exam then and now is supposed to be set where a practicing pharmacist should be able to cold-turkey pass the exam. The calculations are bordering on that, but no, "they so happened to know" mostly comes down to enough practice experience that you know the situations where and where not to use them. I actually recommend if someone fails NAPLEX a second time to become an intern and work some hours (that hasn't happened in my alma mater for several years). I did overprepare for my NAPLEX, because I had that experience to go on. And yes, I haven't practiced standard pharmacy in several years, and took what you are going to take in November as a calibration measure for NABP, and handily passed without studying more than Ansel's calculations the night before as I never did aliquots or mOsm in practice. The questions you will face are actually less theoretical than the ones I did more than a decade ago. Whether it is harder or not does depend on some luck with what you are give.

But, life happens (@KoreanPharmacist) and no level of preparation can always make up for life, so I'd say that it was a personal fluke, do a better job preparing in study as you self-admitted that you were underprepared, but also including some working as a graduate intern as it is very helpful to have tactile context for the drugs. I'd recommend you quickly scan PI's of anything you don't recognize the use, the MOA, or the dosing/contraindications in any standard retail or hospital pharmacy. And pick a better guy/gal next time :)...

Again, please don't leave your preparation just to textbook study, work (it's called a practice for a reason) a bit to remember the context of what is being examined as well as why.

True..working puts everything together

True..working puts everything together

Although true, this is not practical since it will take too much time away from studying. Working does put things into perspective but that's after hours and hours of working. Most of us do not have that kind of time. i.e. I just did a flu clinic where I answered questions on immunization which helped me to understand certain things I learned from studying naplex. But I spend 4 hours at the flu clinic only to remind myself that one can be on steroids and still get the flu shot as long as it's not a live vaccine...

Hi KoreanPharmacist,

I had been following your input from a few months ago and has been very helpful. I just wanted to ask about your experience with the new Naplex? How did it go? Any pointers? Thanks much.

I haven't taken it yet. Signed up recently to take it in early December. I believe David05 has posted a detailed story. He took the new naplex on 11/1.

The questions should be more like "are you actually studying it this time?" lol

I am studying it differently this time by actually studying for it. Purchased rxprep online lectures. Taking my own notes. Making note cards for brand/generic names. Taking time to take the quizzes and going back to the book to make sure I review ones I missed. etc....

First time, I crammed thru about 10 chapters barely memorizing any detailed facts while sipping coffee at a starbucks... granted, alot happened like.. a divorce, family issues, getting turned down on the day of naplex at the Pearson center, then not being able to study for naplex for two weeks cause I had to studied for mpje. While waiting for mpje results, I was too anxious to focus so couldn't study.... thank god I passed mpje... Tried to cram naplex again 3 days before rescheduled date... obviously... my game plan, if i had any, did not work out...

Anywho, I'll let you know if my new plan worked out in about 2 months lol

how did do do this time around? any advice?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah but I got around 60% correct. Is this good enough?
IMHO no, master calculations get 85% on these and at least 90% in the RxPrep questions.

You really have to get comfortable with calculations to do them with ease during the exam and most of all, to save time on other areas of the exam. It is the one area where you can practice to perfection, the other clinical areas would sometimes require reading through the case or recalling a certain concept.

Did you use sdn 120 Qs? Did you find them helpful?
Yes, they were slightly more difficult than the ones on the test. So if you're comfortable with those and RxPrep, you should breeze through them on the actual NAPLEX.

I did the calculations in ProntoPass and RxFiles, and I felt that prepared me more than enough for the NAPLEX. I did the ProntoPass cards first - I found that for a lot of the calculation types, it had a better breakdown/explanation. I then moved onto RxFiles and honestly breezed through those questions.

It's really important to know and UNDERSTAND the ARR/RR/NNT, etc type questions.

What % did you get them right? Is 70% good?
I got 85%+ on Rxprep. I did SDN last minute. Don't think I'm qualified to say what % is "good enough," but obviously just keep working to get it higher - I did it to where I was comfortable, with speed to minimize the time I took staring at a question trying to navigate in my head how to solve it. So if you keep getting the same type of Q wrong, keep working different variations of that until you feel you're good.

Just concentrate on RxPrep. I bought the book and the lectures.

Especially the biggest chapters/most common disease states. RxPrep has a study guide that lists how much time each section should take, which can be useful when creating a study schedule.

what other calculations would you recommend?

will try to speak for him; RxPrep calculation book chapters are extensive with many example and practice problems; along with the SDN 120 calculations would be more than enough. I used only the RxPrep book and it seemed sufficient for the exam.

I heard it depends on what test you got. There are different versions.

yeah that is what I have been hearing. there is really not much difference

Did anyone else take the 2017 and 2018 version? was it much different?

will try to speak for him; RxPrep calculation book chapters are extensive with many example and practice problems; along with the SDN 120 calculations would be more than enough. I used only the RxPrep book and it seemed sufficient for the exam.

have you tried pronto pass math? is it better?

I have failed the NAPLEX twice now and am in need of some serious guidance. It is a big blow to the ego & wallet and confidence failing this exam after preparing very hard for the exams. I have used RxPrep in the past.

Is there anyone else out there that has failed and have any advice in how to pass this test??

I would greatly appreciate any help I can get! Thank you!

Look man I'm not trying to be an a** but NAPLEX is not a hard exam at all, and the fact that you failed twice is a big deal. You might or might not pass during your next try but thats not what you should be concerned about. I can almost guarantee you that with the minimal knowledge that you have demonstrated so far you will get yourself into trouble at workplace. Do all us a favor, take few more months to study then you were planning, go over RxPrep again and then take the exam.

Good Luck, and I'm sure you will do great if you take my advice.

Last edited:
Look man I'm not trying to be an a** but NAPLEX is not a hard exam at all, and the fact that you failed twice is a big deal. You might or might not pass during your next try but thats not what you should be concerned about. I can almost guarantee you that with the minimal knowledge that you have demonstrated so far you will get yourself into trouble at workplace. Do all us a favor, take few more months to study then you were planning, go over RxPrep again and then take the exam.

Good Luck, and I'm sure you will do great if you take my advice.
Kinda funny you felt the need to reply to this given it was posted in 2014.

Reactions: 2 users
People like you are honestly what is wrong with the world who think they r so perfect when in fact u probably have a lot of hidden crap yourself. If you don’t have a word of encouragement then keep your mouth shut. People fail exams all the time exams do not make you who you are how many famous, amazing and successful people out there failed multiple times before succeeding? It doesn’t make them any weaker in fact it makes them stronger than those who made it with absolutely no effort! The world is a struggle we fall we get back up and we keep pushing. Plz don’t listen to empty, shallow people like this idiot keep trying and keep pushing you will get there and u will be a great pharmacists God is good!!

LMAO....look no need to get butthurt now, I did read your other post stating that you always knew it will take you multiple attempts to pass lol. For the record that was me being encouraging , if you read the last part I did say that I'm sure they will do great if they took some extra time to study. Patients do get hurt (or even die), and pharmacist face legal action because people like you who believe in minimum effort and trust too much on God.

Last edited: