FAILED NAPLEX TWICE--NEED HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shortie09

Accepted Pharmacy Student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have failed the NAPLEX twice now and am in need of some serious guidance. It is a big blow to the ego & wallet and confidence failing this exam after preparing very hard for the exams. I have used RxPrep in the past.

Is there anyone else out there that has failed and have any advice in how to pass this test??

I would greatly appreciate any help I can get! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Wait, I'm disgusting because I'm speaking the damn truth?! You need to get your head out of your *** and realize that pharmacy schools have lowered their standards and just about anyone can get into the program nowadays..

Is this really necessary? some people are just not good at taking exams

I know a kid who went to pharmacy school, cheated for 6 years, was dumb as hell, and failed NAPLEX 3 times. 4 years after graduating, he is still not a pharmacist. That totally sucks, especially since every year was about $40k. I can't imagine graduating after 6 years and not getting licensed. I don't even know where he works now but its somewhere you don't need a license but just the PharmD degree.
What jobs require a PharmD but do not require a license? I guess that is my future now that I have failed the NAPLEX three times. I just do not understand how I can study more and score less. Although VP_Pharm2004 seems supportive, maybe suggestions there???

Members don't see this ad :)
I want to be a flight attendant. Since flight attendants use to be nurses, I am sure a PharmD gives me an edge. United Airlines is accepting applications. :)

Being serious and joking at same time. Lol.

Sorry, I am on a study break... Gotta get my kicks. :)

Anyhow, I am studying for NAPLEX now. I have a pretty intense 4 week study regimen mapped out. If anyone who needs a study buddy wanna join me, I can tell you what I am doing and stuff... Though I am already one week in... No guarantees. First time taking it. Using RXPrep. Happy Saturday peoples. ;)

What jobs require a PharmD but do not require a license? I guess that is my future now that I have failed the NAPLEX three times. I just do not understand how I can study more and score less. Although VP_Pharm2004 seems supportive, maybe suggestions there???

Board of pharmacy inspector?

rphplease,

Did the test get harder each time? I'm really worried as I failed once and someone said that they give you a harder test if you failed before.

What did you find difficult? Recall or was the question tricky?

Supposedly the Naplex is changing and will be graded harder. That is the rumor

Let me take a second here to rectify this. I do not believe in rumors nor perpetuating them. NABP released a statement on July 12th announcing the NAPLEX will now comprise 250 questions in order to include revised competencies. That does not mean it will be harder. There is not evidence to support that. They are still to announce how many questions will be experimental. There is no rumor. Here is the link.
https://www.nabp.net/news/nabp-and-...nue-legacy-of-innovations-in-test-development
Yes, it will be a 250-question exam. That's all that can be said. There is no rumor. Of note, it takes longer to type "Supposedly the Naplex is changing and will be graded harder. That is the rumor" than to pull up google and type "NAPLEX 250 questions" which brings up that link right away. Seriously...

Best,

Apotheker2015

Members don't see this ad :)
Let me take a second here to rectify this. I do not believe in rumors nor perpetuating them. NABP released a statement on July 12th announcing the NAPLEX will now comprise 250 questions in order to include revised competencies. That does not mean it will be harder. There is not evidence to support that. They are still to announce how many questions will be experimental. There is no rumor. Here is the link.
https://www.nabp.net/news/nabp-and-...nue-legacy-of-innovations-in-test-development
Yes, it will be a 250-question exam. That's all that can be said. There is no rumor. Of note, it takes longer to type "Supposedly the Naplex is changing and will be graded harder. That is the rumor" than to pull up google and type "NAPLEX 250 questions" which brings up that link right away. Seriously...

Best,

Apotheker2015

Does anybody know if the format of the exam will also change?

Here is the link to the list of revised competency statements. They look much more straight forward than the current competency statements. These new statements are clear and to the point. To me they even seem like an useful tool to guide your studying if you are taking the NAPLEX after Nov 1st, 2015.
https://www.nabp.net/programs/examination/naplex/naplex-blueprint/#revised

Again, the statement NAPB released clearly states that the *revised* competency statements will go into effect on Nov 1st, 2015. "In addition, the NAPLEX will make a progressive transition to a new administration model in 2016. At that time, the NAPLEX will increase in length from 185 items to 250 items."

I am basing my response to this thread upon facts found on the NABP website. It clearly states that the NAPLEX will remain a 185 question exam until the end of 2015. However, the revised competency statements will go into effect on Nov 1st. People, let's not create confusion by posting frantic questions or comments that get everyone's hamster wheels spinning and thinking the worst.

As far as format, no, NABP has not announced that there will be a change in format. I'm answering that AGAIN based on the fact that the NABP has not published anything on its website that even alludes to that. If there were to be a slight change in format, NABP would announce it and it would make sense that the change in format would also apply to the Pre-NAPLEX. If that were the case, then anyone would be able to get a preview of the new format. However, it is unlikely that the format would change.
Here goes my speculation:
a. It would be very difficult to try to implement a drastic change in format between July 12th and Nov 1st. That involves a lot of testing. It is very unlikely. There just isn't enough time.
b. Because the time frame between the date the statement was released and the date the new competencies will go into effect is so SMALL, NABP would already have announced and published a statement outlining the new format. It has not. Thus, it won't happen.

It's always best to go straight to the horse's mouth and get your answer. That's my 2 cents.

Best,

Apotheker2015

Here is the link to the list of revised competency statements. They look much more straight forward than the current competency statements. These new statements are clear and to the point. To me they even seem like an useful tool to guide your studying if you are taking the NAPLEX after Nov 1st, 2015.
https://www.nabp.net/programs/examination/naplex/naplex-blueprint/#revised

Again, the statement NAPB released clearly states that the *revised* competency statements will go into effect on Nov 1st, 2015. "In addition, the NAPLEX will make a progressive transition to a new administration model in 2016. At that time, the NAPLEX will increase in length from 185 items to 250 items."

I am basing my response to this thread upon facts found on the NABP website. It clearly states that the NAPLEX will remain a 185 question exam until the end of 2015. However, the revised competency statements will go into effect on Nov 1st. People, let's not create confusion by posting frantic questions or comments that get everyone's hamster wheels spinning and thinking the worst.

As far as format, no, NABP has not announced that there will be a change in format. I'm answering that AGAIN based on the fact that the NABP has not published anything on its website that even alludes to that. If there were to be a slight change in format, NABP would announce it and it would make sense that the change in format would also apply to the Pre-NAPLEX. If that were the case, then anyone would be able to get a preview of the new format. However, it is unlikely that the format would change.
Here goes my speculation:
a. It would be very difficult to try to implement a drastic change in format between July 12th and Nov 1st. That involves a lot of testing. It is very unlikely. There just isn't enough time.
b. Because the time frame between the date the statement was released and the date the new competencies will go into effect is so SMALL, NABP would already have announced and published a statement outlining the new format. It has not. Thus, it won't happen.

It's always best to go straight to the horse's mouth and get your answer. That's my 2 cents.

Best,

Apotheker2015

Should we study differently for the NAPLEX if we take it after Nov 1? What would you do?

Should we study differently for the NAPLEX if we take it after Nov 1? What would you do?

Hi Emilie70,

I would definitely use the NAPLEX blueprint as a tool to guide my studying. The new competency statements are much more straightforward than the old ones. They are clear and concise. I would also:
1. Call NABP and ask if they will release a new set of 2 pre-NAPLEX exams that reflect the new competency statements. If they say the pre-NAPLEX will remain the same, then I would not be too worried about the content of the new NAPLEX.
2. Call Rxprep and ask their thoughts on the new NAPLEX and I would specifically ask how they are modifying their study materials, quizbank and 185 question exam to reflect the new competency statements.

I would definitely do those two and I am sure everyone who is due to take the new NAPLEX would certainly appreciate if you would post the outcome of those calls on this thread.

Best,

Apotheker2015

Last edited:
Hi Emilie70,

I would definitely use the NAPLEX blueprint as a tool to guide my studying. The new competency statements are much more straightforward than the old ones. They are clear and concise. I would also:
1. Call NABP and ask if they will release a new set of 2 pre-NAPLEX exams that reflect the new competency statements. If they say the pre-NAPLEX will remain the same, then I would not be too worried about the content of the new NAPLEX.
2. Call Rxprep and ask their thoughts on the new NAPLEX and I would specifically ask how they are modifying their study materials, quizbank and 185 question exam to reflect the new competency statements.

I would definitely do those two and I am sure everyone who is due to take the new NAPLEX would certainly appreciate if you would post the outcome of those calls on this thread.

Best,

Apotheker2015

Thanks for the reply! Anybody know if the NABP will release sample questions of the new NAPLEX soon?

Thanks for the reply! Anybody know if the NABP will release sample questions of the new NAPLEX soon?

LOL, Emilie70... call NABP. I don't get it. You'd rather get info from someone who heard it from someone else and that info may or may not be true. It's puzzling to me. Call them and find out!

Here is NABP's contact info. Got it straight from the website. I figured I'd save you a post asking if anyone knows the contact info for NABP. ;)

Customer Service
Hours: Monday to Friday, 9 AM to 5 PM central time
Phone: 1-847/391-4406
Fax: 1-847/391-4502
e-mail: [email protected]

Best,

Apotheker2015

Last edited:
LOL, Emilie70... call NABP. I don't get it. You'd rather get info from someone who heard it from someone else and that info may or may not be true. It's puzzling to me. Call them and find out!

Here is NABP's contact info. Got it straight from the website. I figured I'd save you a post asking if anyone knows the contact info for NABP. ;)

Customer Service

Best,

Apotheker2015

The funny thing is that I did call them and they told me to refer to the new blueprints. Nothing else is given!

The funny thing is that I did call them and they told me to refer to the new blueprints. Nothing else is given!

That's odd. I would call again and ask for a supervisor and then ask if the pre-NAPLEX will change and be a pain until they bleed out some info.

That's odd. I would call again and ask for a supervisor and then ask if the pre-NAPLEX will change and be a pain until they bleed out some info.

That is weird right? If they are going to come out with a new test, at least give me some sample questions so we can prepare for the exam.

Anybody know anything about this new format?

Customer Service

Best,

Apotheker2015

just want to update everyone. i called them and they just refer me to the new blueprint. this sucks

idk how ill be studying differently but I'm terrified because I just realized ill be forced to take the 250 question exam :(

Look at it this way. There are more questions now and the number of points available remains the same. Well, at least that's one way to look at it. I do not think the exam will necessarily be harder. The questions might be more straightforward and test specifically one thing instead of 2 or 3 at time. In a way, it might be somewhat easier or it's quite possible that the level of difficulty remains the same.

I took once ( 185 questions not 250), and failed with 73, I actually finished a few mins early, that's why I was so shocked when I got my result.
Emilie70, have you find a study group yet? we need strategy and regroup, PASS it with confident!

Last edited:
I agree. After 200 questions I am already tired!!
Me too, after 185 questions, I'm exhausted. I don't know if their data (nabp) was really bad about past and current pharmacists which suggested them to increase the testing knowledge. Their data is just a survey. Is this because of the many new opening pharmacy schools?

there's an excellent guide to biostats on the pharmacist letter. i doubt you will receive many biostats questions tho

I took mine yesterday. Had quite a few calculations and biostats. I would say at least 20-25 cal questions and 10-15 biostats. Calculations were just like the ones from Rxprep. Biostat questions were abit different but thought Rxprep material was enough. Had NTT, RR, RRR, ARR etc. but then again, everyone's exam will be different. I had about 5 questions on ID/Onco/HIV each. Good luck to those who's taking it soon!

Passed the NAPLEX!!!!! :)

I know this is a different test version (and been a while), but I was curious what you did your 3rd time around, and if you found that it worked better- I am in a similar situation and would love any insight into how you prepared for your 3rd exam.

Is the biostat similar to the pharmacist letter article?

Well... First off, I just found out yesterday that I did not pass. =( with a ridiculously low score. I definitely did not prepare properly.

To answer your question though, stat questions were not based on an entire article. They give you a small chart to look at with all the numbers you need. You just have to figure out how to plug in the numbers to the formulas.

I would have to take the new format with mon-adaptive 250 questions in november. Any opinion on whether thats good or bad as far as the exam being more difficult? I would think more questions and non adaptive mean it will be more physically challenging but better for us as far as how difficult it is since questions may be evenly distributed. Material for the exam wont change so thats good to know at least.

I definitely underestimated this exam. Barely studied. Wasnt focused. Altho things happened that may have distracted me, that is no excuse. For those who are taking it soon, study! Hard! Do not listen to those who say they only studied a week and yoloed it.

Well... First off, I just found out yesterday that I did not pass. =( with a ridiculously low score. I definitely did not prepare properly.

To answer your question though, stat questions were not based on an entire article. They give you a small chart to look at with all the numbers you need. You just have to figure out how to plug in the numbers to the formulas.

I would have to take the new format with mon-adaptive 250 questions in november. Any opinion on whether thats good or bad as far as the exam being more difficult? I would think more questions and non adaptive mean it will be more physically challenging but better for us as far as how difficult it is since questions may be evenly distributed. Material for the exam wont change so thats good to know at least.

I definitely underestimated this exam. Barely studied. Wasnt focused. Altho things happened that may have distracted me, that is no excuse. For those who are taking it soon, study! Hard! Do not listen to those who say they only studied a week and yoloed it.

I dont buy it either that people "studied it for 2 weeks while working and passed." I believe they just got lucky more than anything with questions they so happened to know or guessed correctly that gave them the needed push to a passing score.

Reactions: 1 users
I dont buy it either that people "studied it for 2 weeks while working and passed." I believe they just got lucky more than anything with questions they so happened to know or guessed correctly that gave them the needed push to a passing score.

Or they're probably lying their asses off lol

Reactions: 1 users
sorry to hear you didn't pass! were there a lot of random drug questions (not the top 300 drugs)?

I don't think questions were random. I recognized most of the drugs. I think I failed b/c I didn't study. I would say the exam itself way not that bad.