FAILED NAPLEX TWICE--NEED HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shortie09

Accepted Pharmacy Student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have failed the NAPLEX twice now and am in need of some serious guidance. It is a big blow to the ego & wallet and confidence failing this exam after preparing very hard for the exams. I have used RxPrep in the past.

Is there anyone else out there that has failed and have any advice in how to pass this test??

I would greatly appreciate any help I can get! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
How do you study? Do you study in a group? Quiz each other?

This is how I studied: I glanced over the ebay pharmacy charts as an introduction then I would study from the rxprep and then finally back to the pharmacy charts as a recap. I also did questions from rxprep and lange to review the concepts. Don't try to memorize everything! Try to understand the concepts and quiz your friends to reinforce the concepts. I think rxprep has a FB page for people looking for study partners.

ebay pharmacy charts: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-Edition-Pharmacy-Charts-NAPLEX-CPJE-/261152172663

rxprep: http://www.amazon.com/RxPrep-Course...ie=UTF8&qid=1401474728&sr=8-2&keywords=naplex

lange: http://www.amazon.com/Lange-amp-Pha...e=UTF8&qid=1401474768&sr=8-28&keywords=naplex

I also did the SDN 120 calculation problems. They were a great help and all you need for math. You must do well on the calculation:

Calculation: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/sdn-calculation-120-questions.1010043/

PM me if you got questions.

Reactions: 8 users
I have failed the NAPLEX twice now and am in need of some serious guidance. It is a big blow to the ego & wallet and confidence failing this exam after preparing very hard for the exams. I have used RxPrep in the past.

Is there anyone else out there that has failed and have any advice in how to pass this test??

I just took my naplex and failed by a few points! I'm looking for a study partner to help quiz on subjects...if you're interested please msg me back. =)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have your math down? If you fail the math part, you fail the whole exam.
Also do you have your basic knowledge of common disease states and OTC's down? I felt that was helpful when I was studying the rxprep. It is really not about how many books you use to study. I would still rely on one and for math you could do (rxprep +SDN 120 calculation questions)
I relied on one and it worked out well for me. Don't panic, relax and good luck :)

Reactions: 3 users
Yes, you have to do well on the math portion. Do the SDN 120 calculation problems. If you can do those, you will do well. Practice. Practice. Practice!

I took naplex today and thought it was very hard. Just hoping i pass. got 105 on pre-naplex yesterday so thought I would do ok. There were so many things I haven't heard of. I studied the 2700 RXPREP quiz questions...if i pass, will let you know. not feeling to positive though.

It is also important to set a timeframe. Don't keep on delaying on taking the exam. You will never be 100% ready. Know the big topics. Stick to your plan!

Reactions: 3 users
hey stacy, congrats on passing! i took the naplex 3 times and still haven't passed! can you please give me any tips or tricks you have that may be useful. i really need the help

hey stacy, congrats on passing! i took the naplex 3 times and still haven't passed! can you please give me any tips or tricks you have that may be useful. i really need the help

are you studying in a group? test each other?

in naplex . math, otc medications and also biostatics are the key . students generally focus big portion on studying main disease state notes like hiv, diabetes cardiovascular. and less time on biostats, math and otc . in reality if you do good with math , otc and biostats . you will be for sure clear the naplex exam .

for math naplex study

sdn 120 ----very good
rxprep starting math chapter ----very good
prontopass math cards ----very good

Members don't see this ad :)
I was given a table of people with the disease and without. I had to calculate nnt. That was my only biostats question.

there's an excellent guide to biostats on the pharmacist letter. i doubt you will receive many biostats questions tho

update-passed!!!

Congrats! I had a question when you didn't pass on nabp did ur status change to registration closed for att as well as the link to register change to orange? I'm trying to see if this is a myth about knowing if you passed for the states that receive their results via snail mail

Hi!
I did not passed the first time. I took the 2 nd one last Monday. I passed.

My advised for you.
Practice calculations everyday.
You know that 75% of the exams are case studies. It is very imp the labs( k, Bun, Cr . Liver enz) remember Ace I, ARB etc.
ID drugs- allergies ( Pen, Sulfa)
Onco- toxicities
Hiv- SE
Naturals Products- basics

For me was very helpful the Rx Prep bank of questions.

Try to be relax. Eat something sweet during the break.

You can do it!!!!
Good luck!

Congrats! I had a question when you didn't pass on nabp did ur status change to registration closed for att as well as the link to register change to orange? I'm trying to see if this is a myth about knowing if you passed for the states that receive their results via snail mail
Hi!
For my experience I can tell you that is a myth.
I did not passed the first time and the button changed to orange. I passed the 2 nd time and the button changed to orange.
I think the button change to orange when NABP send you score to the board.

Hi!
For my experience I can tell you that is a myth.
I did not passed the first time and the button changed to orange. I passed the 2 nd time and the button changed to orange.
I think the button change to orange when NABP send you score to the board.

Yeah, I don't think you can find out whether you pass or not by looking at the button

I just found out that I failed the NAPLEX for the second time. I have no idea how or what to focus on. I am very good at math (I have a master's degree in mathematics and have taught high school mathematics for several years). I did not have ANY biostat questions on either exam and not many math questions either. The bulk of my exams were patient accounts that I had to search through and answer questions on. I had a job as a pharmacist but once I failed the exam for the second time I was "demoted" to technician. I don't know how to decide when/if/how I am ready to retest. Nothing I study seems to be of any value when I sit down to take the exam. Suggestions anyone??

I also have failed twice....I am looking for advice also.

I am looking for a study partner! If anyone is interested please let me know! :)

I also have failed twice....I am looking for advice also.
If you're solid on math then that's half the battle! For the patient cases I found it easier to read the question first then look at the patient chart. Half the time the question didn't even require that I look at the chart for the answer. Just make sure you hit your important points in the chart first like meds, allergies, and labs then go back and read further if need be. I know several people that caught up reading the whole chart and barely had enough time to finish the test or just got bogged down by the amount of information they were sifting through. Take some deep breaths, keep calm, and trust that you know the information that you've been studying.

I found RxPrep to be a decent study guide, but some of the chapters in the book I used needed some info added, but the newer version has what the 2013 book lacked. Have good coverage on otc meds and your big disease states and you'll be fine.

I'm sorry, but if you FAILED the Naplex twice to three times... maybe pharmacy isn't for you.

Just realize that pharmacy school lowered their standards and somehow people get into the program and barely survive to graduate so they can collect that 200k tuition check. I really hate what has become of this profession. Completely disgusted!

I know a kid who went to pharmacy school, cheated for 6 years, was dumb as hell, and failed NAPLEX 3 times. 4 years after graduating, he is still not a pharmacist. That totally sucks, especially since every year was about $40k. I can't imagine graduating after 6 years and not getting licensed. I don't even know where he works now but its somewhere you don't need a license but just the PharmD degree.

I know a kid who went to pharmacy school, cheated for 6 years, was dumb as hell, and failed NAPLEX 3 times. 4 years after graduating, he is still not a pharmacist. That totally sucks, especially since every year was about $40k. I can't imagine graduating after 6 years and not getting licensed. I don't even know where he works now but its somewhere you don't need a license but just the PharmD degree.

Don't you have to take classes at a pharmacy school if you had failed 4x in order to that the NAPLEX again.

If you fail naplex without having extraordinary circumstances such as traumatic event day before test.... just quit the profession doesnt want or need you.

Please email me at Zalabm1234@yahoo.com, also i had similar situation like you. Please reply me ASAP, FYI, I am in NJ

Last edited:
I highly recommend BoardVitals.com they offer an online databank with 1000 questions. They have different databases for pharmacy, nursing, medschool, etc. Unlike other test prep sites, you can buy only the time you need, by the month, instead of having to buy a whole program. And, with their Money Back Guarantee, you don't have anything to lose.