Failed COMLEX Step 2 CE Multiple Times

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOInLimbo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Perhaps some of you can relate to this......or maybe not. Actually I'm quite sure that most of you will not. In any case, I'm seeking advice as I am in a serious and unfortunate situation.

As of right now, I have not passed the COMLEX Step 2 CE. I have taken it seven (7) times. My scores are as follows:

Attempt #1: 119/55
Attempt #2: 262/65
Attempt #3: 339/71
Attempt #4: 269/66
Attempt #5: 339/71
Attempt #6: 370/73
Attempt #7: 262/65

I've tried everything under the sun including First Aid to Step 2, Step 2 Secrets, Boards & Wards, Prescription For USMLE Step 2, the green OMM book & Boards Boot Camp resources. I've done questions from USMLE World, ComBank and ComQuest. At this point I am extremely frustrated, as this test is the only thing that stands between me and my DO. Until I pass Step 2 my DO degree is on hold at my school.

The situation is obviously a bad one. I realize that entirely. It's especially frustrating because I have worked for so long just so I could be a doctor. I do relatively well on questions from the above question banks and I talk out information with other people....but for some reason things just don't translate on test day. I wasn't the strongest student in medical school but I wasn't the weakest one either.

I understand that this will not look good to programs when I am in a position to finally apply. Right now I am aspiring to become a pediatrician in the northeast......though over the last 4 years, pediatric programs have become increasingly more difficult to match into (both allopathic and osteopathic). Consequently, my backup is family medicine.

I have two important questions:

1) Does anyone here know anyone that has been in this situation and if so, what did they do get themselves out of it?

2) Does my Step 2 track record pretty much guarantee that I cannot match anywhere for any specialty? With a COMLEX transcript like this, will I even be able to practice down the line?

Any advice from anyone is welcome and appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Perhaps some of you can relate to this......or maybe not. Actually I'm quite sure that most of you will not. In any case, I'm seeking advice as I am in a serious and unfortunate situation.

As of right now, I have not passed the COMLEX Step 2 CE. I have taken it seven (7) times. My scores are as follows:

I've tried everything under the sun including First Aid to Step 2, Step 2 Secrets, Boards & Wards, Prescription For USMLE Step 2, the green OMM book & Boards Boot Camp resources. I've done questions from USMLE World, ComBank and ComQuest. At this point I am extremely frustrated, as this test is the only thing that stands between me and my DO. Until I pass Step 2 my DO degree is on hold at my school.

The situation is obviously a bad one. I realize that entirely. It's especially frustrating because I have worked for so long just so I could be a doctor. I do relatively well on questions from the above question banks and I talk out information with other people....but for some reason things just don't translate on test day. I wasn't the strongest student in medical school but I wasn't the weakest one either.

I understand that this will not look good to programs when I am in a position to finally apply. Right now I am aspiring to become a pediatrician in the northeast......though over the last 4 years, pediatric programs have become increasingly more difficult to match into (both allopathic and osteopathic). Consequently, my backup is family medicine.

1) Does anyone here know anyone that has been in this situation and if so, what did they do get themselves out of it?

2) Does my Step 2 track record pretty much guarantee that I cannot match anywhere for any specialty? With a COMLEX transcript like this, will I even be able to practice down the line?

So you passed level 1? I thought most school policies dismiss after 3 attempts. My condolences if you're legit but this looks like a trolling thread. I'd have a hard time believing you'd make it this far (all of years 1-2, passed level 1, passed all shelfs, etc.) and now have failed level 2 seven times.

So you passed level 1? I thought most school policies dismiss after 3 attempts. My condolences if you're legit but this looks like a trolling thread. I'd have a hard time believing you'd make it this far (all of years 1-2, passed level 1, passed all shelfs, etc.) and now have failed level 2 seven times.
I took Level 1 twice. My school doesn't have a limit for how many times you can take Step 2 CE. They just state that's it's required for graduation.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took Level 1 twice. My school doesn't have a limit for how many times you can take Step 2 CE. They just state that's it's required for graduation.

Well, nobody can predict the future, but if I had to try I would say that your chances of matching at a program are very slim. Also, if you manage to match or scramble, you still have to pass Step 3 to be licensed.

Finally, be aware that many states have licensing requirements that limit you on how many times you may attempt to pass the COMLEX or limitations on the time frame you're allowed to pass all three Steps.

Many of us are curious (if you're not a troll): have you satisfied all requirements for your degree (i.e. finished all 4 years of med school), but all you have to do now is pass Step 2? When did you graduate? (Residency programs typically have limitations on graduation date and start of residency).

Good luck. I hope that a counselor from your school is working with you to make sure you're not wasting your time with false hopes. Just because you eventually pass Step 2 and get your diploma is no guarantee that you will be able to practice clinical medicine.

Are you talking about the COMLEX CK (Clinical Knowledge) exam or the COMLEX PE (Physical Exam) exam? To my knowledge, there is no CE exam, unless they have changed the damned names again...

I don't really have any specific advice for you, but to add another concern to your current list, many states only allow a certain number of board exam retakes before you are exempted from licensure in that state. If you are eventually matched for residency, you should research whether it is in a state you would not be allowed to get a license in, as many residencies require one to obtain an unrestricted license to pass from second to third year of residency.

Best of luck!

You are in a bad situation, no doubt about it. Even more concerning, level 3 is very similar to level 2. Most residency programs WILL release you if you cannot pass level 3 in a certain period of time.

You say you have "tried" programs. Are those just 'here's the book go study' programs or have you actually gone to a live in person review course? Big difference. If you haven't done a live in person review course, I would suggest you do so.

I don't think there is any reason to discuss your residency options until you get a passing level 2 score. At this point, however, given your track record and number of attempts required for level 1 and 2 you will be FAR better off doing a TY and passing level 3 before applying for a categorical residency spot. Having a passing level 3 exam will make PDs much less nervous about your application. While you say you want to be in the NE, you must prepare yourself for being grateful for any position anywhere in the country and be ready to move anywhere for any spot which may be offered to you in the future.

However, that is in the future. First you need to pass level 2. What were your weaknesses? As I recall, on the back of your score report you get an analysis of your strengths/weaknesses in the exam. Have you focused your efforts on those? Have you taken time off of rotations to study for the exam? (I warn you, you won't get time off to study for level 3.) Have you taken practice exams under testing conditions? Have you taken and passed the PE exam?

Reactions: 1 user
Are you talking about the COMLEX CK (Clinical Knowledge) exam or the COMLEX PE (Physical Exam) exam? To my knowledge, there is no CE exam, unless they have changed the damned names again...

I don't really have any specific advice for you, but to add another concern to your current list, many states only allow a certain number of board exam retakes before you are exempted from licensure in that state. If you are eventually matched for residency, you should research whether it is in a state you would not be allowed to get a license in, as many residencies require one to obtain an unrestricted license to pass from second to third year of residency.

Best of luck!

actually the OP is right. the written exam is COMLEX 2-CE. CK is the counterpart exam on the USMLE side. though i wasn't aware that we could take it more than 3-4x. i thought after that, we had to get special permission or sth like that to take it again. i know my school has a limit to how many times u can take it though they have been known to bend that rule.

i think ShyRem gave good advice to identify your weaknesses and try to target those. A live in-person course might be better if that works better with your learning style. i'm sorry to hear that u're having trouble and i hope things work out for you

Many of us are curious (if you're not a troll): have you satisfied all requirements for your degree (i.e. finished all 4 years of med school), but all you have to do now is pass Step 2? When did you graduate?

I have no idea what a troll is, but that's besides the point. I have finished all of my coursework and rotations from all 4 years of medical school. The only thing left for me to complete is Step 2.....and for that reason I have not yet graduated officially.

At this point, however, given your track record and number of attempts required for level 1 and 2 you will be FAR better off doing a TY and passing level 3 before applying for a categorical residency spot.

That's the plan. I have no intentions at all of going directly into a categorical residency of any kind, and I am aiming to pass Step 3 in one shot before I apply to a categorical residency.

What were your weaknesses? As I recall, on the back of your score report you get an analysis of your strengths/weaknesses in the exam. Have you focused your efforts on those? Have you taken time off of rotations to study for the exam? (I warn you, you won't get time off to study for level 3.) Have you taken practice exams under testing conditions? Have you taken and passed the PE exam?

The weaknesses I continue to have are management, health promotion/disease prevention & general osteopathic medicine. Scientific understanding of mechanisms, history and physical, diagnostic technologies, health care delivery issues & osteopathic principles and practice I score between borderline and high performance on.

I've tried to focus my efforts on my weaknesses but I continue to come up short. Boards Boot Camp helped somewhat but I'm still not where I need to be. As I said before, I've finished all of my rotations. I have taken practice exams under testing conditions and I took and passed the PE exam with one attempt.

I was talking to my wife about this last night and it seems like there is a disconnect between my preparation and me actually taking the exam. I always feel like there is little overlap between the information I am studying and the information that is actually tested. This makes it that much more frustrating, because I do well on questions from question banks, go into the exam with confidence and suddenly get halted because the questions seem like they are coming out of left field.

In any case, I'm looking at enrolling in the PASS program (www.passprogram.net) in Champagne, IL to prepare for my next attempt. You actually go to their facility for two months to prepare and study for the exam. Is anyone here familiar with this program?

I know of someone who did the PASS program after failing level one 2 or 3 times. They passed after completing the program.

I have finished all of my coursework and rotations from all 4 years of medical school. The only thing left for me to complete is Step 2.....and for that reason I have not yet graduated officially.

Just curious. How many years have passed from the time you started medical school until today? You don't have to answer, but be aware that even if you pass Step 2 eventually and get your diploma, it could be hard to be accepted into a residency program if your degree took >5 years to obtain. Although I'm not sure which one would be a bigger red flag in a residency application: completion of med school in >4 years or >7 attempts at Step 2 before passing.

Good luck to you. I hope things work out for your future.

Just curious. How many years have passed from the time you started medical school until today? You don't have to answer, but be aware that even if you pass Step 2 eventually and get your diploma, it could be hard to be accepted into a residency program if your degree took >5 years to obtain. Although I'm not sure which one would be a bigger red flag in a residency application: completion of med school in >4 years or >7 attempts at Step 2 before passing.

Good luck to you. I hope things work out for your future.

Respectfully, I have a number of friends who are either residents or attending physicians who took more than 5 years to complete their medical training for a variety of reasons. These stem from enrolling in dual degree programs (MBA, MPH, JD, PhD, MS, etc), taking time off for personal reasons, enrolling in osteopathic fellowship programs and various combinations of the aforementioned.

For example, I know someone who failed their first year of medical school and had to repeat it (+1 year), enrolled in a joint MBA program (+1 year) and did research to obtain in M.S. in osteopathic medicine (+1 year). Total time in medical school was 7 years. She is now a surgery intern.

Thanks for the encouragement and well wishes!

Last edited:
I know of someone who did the PASS program after failing level one 2 or 3 times. They passed after completing the program.

Thanks! I will explore this resource further.

Respectfully, I have a number of friends who are either residents or attending physicians who took more than 5 years to complete their medical training for a variety of reasons. These stem from enrolling in dual degree programs (MBA, MPH, JD, PhD, MS, etc), taking time off for personal reasons, enrolling in osteopathic fellowship programs and various combinations of the aforementioned.

Well, sure, I understand that can possibly happen. However, there is a difference between taking 7 years to complete medical school due to research, dual degrees, etc. and taking 7 years to complete medical school due to multiple attempts at passing an exam that most people pass on their first or second attempt.

I just want you to be realistic about the future. Hopefully the PASS program will do the trick.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, sure, I understand that can possibly happen. However, there is a difference between taking 7 years to complete medical school due to research, dual degrees, etc. and taking 7 years to complete medical school due to multiple attempts at passing an exam that most people pass on their first or second attempt.

I just want you to be realistic about the future. Hopefully the PASS program will do the trick.

Going to talk to my wife and family, to see how we can finance the PASS program. I talked to Dr. Francis personally today and he has me sold on it. I'm ready to put this exam away and move on with my life.

This case illustrates perfectly well why schools should put restrictions on how many times a student can attempt board exams.

SEVEN times??? Are you kidding me?! SEVEN?!! And yet now you're thinking about doing a live review course? I would have sprinted for that live course soon after that horrible 119.

I hope for your sake you don't have actually ever have to take care of a sick child.

It might sound harsh and I might be an a-hole for saying that, but somebody has to point out the reality here. I realize that COMLEX is a stupid exam but seriously, not being able to pass it 7 times shows either a serious lack of commitment or lack of common sense. Neither of which I would want in a future physician.

This case illustrates perfectly well why schools should put restrictions on how many times a student can attempt board exams.

Don't most schools already have a 3-strikes rule? (Most Texas med schools do, including TCOM).

Don't most schools already have a 3-strikes rule? (Most Texas med schools do, including TCOM).

Apparently not in the OP's case. I'm really floored to see that NOBODY, including the OP, the school, OP's family, colleagues, etc. called a time out and said "hold up! why is this guy failing, and failing so horribly every time too?"

I mean, seven tries?! 99.99% of us would be completely floored and hysterical after our 1st failure, and that would move us to take drastic steps like live review course, meet with somebody, call up every classmate to help study, etc. But 7 failures? And these aren't even "oh so close" failures, these are extreme failing scores.

I still feel like I've entered the Twilight Zone every time I click on this thread.

I still feel like I've entered the Twilight Zone every time I click on this thread.

Well, yes, that's why some of us are wondering if the OP is a troll or actually serious.

SEVEN times??? Are you kidding me?! SEVEN?!! And yet now you're thinking about doing a live review course? I would have sprinted for that live course soon after that horrible 119.

I hope for your sake you don't have actually ever have to take care of a sick child.

It might sound harsh and I might be an a-hole for saying that, but somebody has to point out the reality here. I realize that COMLEX is a stupid exam but seriously, not being able to pass it 7 times shows either a serious lack of commitment or lack of common sense. Neither of which I would want in a future physician.

Wow.

Your complete lack of empathy is beyond egregious and displays a brand of arrogance I wouldn't want in any physician treating anybody I care about. In case you haven't heard, standardized tests don't test your knowledge of any particular subject. Standardized tests test how well you take standardized tests......hence, having a adequate fund of knowledge isn't always enough to do well on a standardized test.

No need to wonder if you might sound like an a-hole, you unequivocally DO sound like an a-hole. You can take your negativity elsewhere.

Well, yes, that's why some of us are wondering if the OP is a troll or actually serious.

I am dead serious. And this is the LAST TIME I'm saying it. Believe it or not. I could frankly care less.

Just curious. What state are you in that allows unlimited attempts to pass COMLEX Step 2?

SEVEN times? Man, it's hard not to be skeptical reading this thread....

Wow.

Your complete lack of empathy is beyond egregious and displays a brand of arrogance I wouldn't want in any physician treating anybody I care about. In case you haven't heard, standardized tests don't test your knowledge of any particular subject. Standardized tests test how well you take standardized tests......hence, having a adequate fund of knowledge isn't always enough to do well on a standardized test.

No need to wonder if you might sound like an a-hole, you unequivocally DO sound like an a-hole. You can take your negativity elsewhere.

Yes, but most people don't get to 4th year without taking a couple of these along the way and passing them, and that's what I think flummoxes people, why this particular test is holding you back.

Hopefully the next round goes okay. Work on passing the test, and worry about the rest later.

And thank god your school is like that and you at least get to finish with a degree no matter what.

SEVEN times? Man, it's hard not to be skeptical reading this thread....
Why? What incentive would someone have to troll this kind of info? Not any promoter for any of the board prep material that he's already used.

Geesh. The OP reaffirmed that it was legit. Not sure more what some people want.

I hope that, as a doctor, you don't mistrust your patients so much; you'll drive them crazy--or just away from you.

This is why before you get into medical school, they want you to have a high GPA and why grade replacement might not be such a hot idea.

This is why before you get into medical school, they want you to have a high GPA and why grade replacement might not be such a hot idea.

I graduated from college with a B.S. in Chemistry, 3.5 GPA, cum laude honors and honors in Chemistry. I only made two C's...one was in a history class and the other was in a histology class. Apart from that, I got only A's and B's in my science courses (more A's than B's) and tutored students for three years in general chemistry and organic chemistry.

I understand that it is rare, but you can have a command of information and not perform well on standardized tests.

Why? What incentive would someone have to troll this kind of info? Not any promoter for any of the board prep material that he's already used.

Geesh. The OP reaffirmed that it was legit. Not sure more what some people want.

I hope that, as a doctor, you don't mistrust your patients so much; you'll drive them crazy--or just away from you.

Thank you. My sentiments exactly.

Then you should be able to pass this exam. At this point, maybe you're psyching yourself out?

Before you decide to dump thousands of additional dollars into a boards program, have you talked to your dean about what your chances are for matching into any program? As I'm sure you're well aware, one failure in any of the steps is a huge red flag but with 7-- I'm not sure if you have any chance of matching into any residency program. Even if you did pass on your 8th try, you would have to apply to 100+ programs to even have a small chance.

At this point, it may be time to cut your losses (although I realize you're likely hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt) and think about pursuing a career in something else. To be honest, if I was a program director or your supervising resident, I would be really concerned re: safety with patients.

My sympathies on being in this lousy situation (I don't know what you would have to gain by trolling about this topic, and it's not like anything you've said here has been offensive or controversial, so I am going to assume that it is indeed true).

When you say that you've studied from all these different sources, I'm wondering if maybe part of the problem might be getting overwhelmed with too many different sources and not getting to know any of the sources REALLY well? Do you think that could be a factor?

What sort of routine were you following when you studied?

It looks like Attempt #6 was your strongest one. How were you studying then? Was there something that you were doing differently then that you didn't do before? (I'm wondering if that might give some indication of how you learn best).

I sincerely hope you're able to get past this. I can imagine this must be an awful thing to deal with.
It does look like you'll be able to get licensed in many places despite this: http://fsmb.org/usmle_eliinitial.html

As for the issue of getting into a residency, the reality is that it will be an uphill battle, but I don't think any of us can tell you there's no hope. If you can come up with the right way to explain what happened and can demonstrate your competency in other ways then maybe there is going to be a program out there that will be willing to give you a chance.

I graduated from college with a B.S. in Chemistry, 3.5 GPA, cum laude honors and honors in Chemistry. I only made two C's...one was in a history class and the other was in a histology class. Apart from that, I got only A's and B's in my science courses (more A's than B's) and tutored students for three years in general chemistry and organic chemistry.

I understand that it is rare, but you can have a command of information and not perform well on standardized tests.

What was your MCAT score? Grades are actually not a good predictor of standardized test performance. The MCAT is a better predictor of one's ability to perform on standardized tests. It's one of the reasons that MD schools place such a high emphasis on the exam.

This seems vaguely familiar to a Seinfeld episode where Elaine is dating a "doctor" who hasn't passed his boards. She figures that dating him before he passes will ensure her to be dating a doctor. She avoids sex with him to make him smarter. He passes and then dumps her for a better model. Taking a literal lesson learned from the episode, maybe you should go celibate for a prolonged period until you pass the test.

Wow, maybe try hypnosis or even taking an anxiolytic before the exam. It doesn't seem to be the content, but actually the test taking environment that is the issue.

I am not sure how helpful I may be for you. I seriously am so sorry to hear you are having so much trouble with that awful exam and pray for things to improve. With that said, I have actually heard of a similar case with another student I know.

This student failed the Comlex I 3 times. They passed all their course work just fine. They also tried everything they could think of. Eventually, they consulted a physician to see if there is something wrong with them on why they could not pass the test. They come to find out they have dyslexia with depression. Dyslexia is a very under-rated disability that can hinder someone from being able to take a long exam. After they received the diagnosis of Dyslexia, they were able to get double test time, and then passed just fine on the next attempt.

I am not saying you do have any kind of disability whatsoever. But, you should consult a physician to rule that out if you have not done so already. You obviously want to work hard to pass, and if you have been able to get through the coursework, you are capable of retaining knowledge. So, I think you should check things out.

There's somebody doing away rotations at our school who apparently needed 4 tries to pass comlex step 1...but apparently this person had to petition to take the test more than 3 tries.

You might want to consider taking the USMLE...tons of people do MUCH better on that then COMLEX because its closer to practice qbanks and not as random/poorly written. It could at least give you a shot at more residencys that may not ask/care about COMLEX if you can pass that first try....just get COMLEX done to finish school and graduate

I just stumbled across this thread...I thought I would throw in my two cents...
I failed Step 1 twice when I realized something was wrong...
I was subsequently diagnosed with a learning disability and after applying for accommodations and denied a multitude of times (a wonderful case of disability apartheid) I had to proceed without accommodations.
I failed two more times before passing step 1.
I have failed step 2 four times and will be passing my next attempt in December...(the power of positive thinking)
I passed the PE on the first attempt...because I know medicine...I just can't read large amounts of written word in such a short time frame. I am not stupid, I am dyslexic...big difference.
So, member 440318...where are you now and was there something specific that helped you? Looking for some ideas...

I was subsequently diagnosed with a learning disability and after applying for accommodations and denied a multitude of times (a wonderful case of disability apartheid) I had to proceed without accommodations.
I have failed step 2 four times and will be passing my next attempt in December...(the power of positive thinking)
I passed the PE on the first attempt...because I know medicine...I just can't read large amounts of written word in such a short time frame. I am not stupid, I am dyslexic...big difference.
So, member 440318...where are you now and was there something specific that helped you? Looking for some ideas...

What school are you at that allows so many attempts? It was my understanding that 3x was the max, and many are dismissed after 2 tries.

This is the first time I've ever heard of an exception to the 3-strikes rule.

Not to be a debbie downer but I'm pretty sure you guys can't get licensed with records like these.

Unfortunately, the COMLEX exams are not the last of these type of exams that you must take. If by some chance you are able to match into a program, then you must take ITE's and ultimately specialty board exams for board certification and periodic recertification. The necessity of passing these standardized exams doesn't end until you near retirement.

Unfortunately, the COMLEX exams are not the last of these type of exams that you must take. If by some chance you are able to match into a program, then you must take ITE's and ultimately specialty board exams for board certification and periodic recertification. The necessity of passing these standardized exams doesn't end until you near retirement.

Yeah medicine is the last career someone should be in if they are bad at standardized testing. Although I don't really believe there is such a thing as being bad at standardized testing. It's called being bad at knowing the material.

If you know how to answer the questions, there's no reason you shouldn't pass. If you don't know the answers, it's a knowledge-base issue/critical thinking deficiency.

OP needs to stop making excuses and find a new career. No medical board is going to give you a license after failing 7+ times.

Although I don't really believe there is such a thing as being bad at standardized testing. It's called being bad at knowing the material.

If you know how to answer the questions, there's no reason you shouldn't pass. If you don't know the answers, it's a knowledge-base issue/critical thinking deficiency

You can make that argument when talking about essay tests, but not multiple choice tests. A multiple choice test is only as good as the test writer. There were many times on COMLEX when I couldn't decipher what I was even being asked, let alone the answer they were looking for even though if the exact same concept was posed to me in an essay question, I could write 5 pages on the topic. I knew the concept. What I didn't know is what they wanted to know about the concept to choose the ONE correct answer.

I personally think that many attempts is a bit much. If someone can't pass the test on the 3rd or 4th try the blame doesn't lie solely on the ambiguity of the test. It also means that the test taker was presented with multiple variations of the COMLEX and couldn't pass any of them. The effort becomes laughable after the 3rd attempt and is ridiculous when 10 attempts are allowed within the first two Steps. You only need a superficial knowledge of medicine to pass the PE, you need a functional knowledge of medicine to pass the CE. However flawed it may be, everyone knows the classic test emphasizes Obgyn, pediatrics, and family medicine related material. I'm all for the opportunity of finishing the degree but I don't think residencies will be too forgiving of candidates such as these, especially after the announcement of a unified match. But I could be wrong...we'll let the free market sort them out.

Hey OP! Following up to see how things went after this thread. Did you pass on the 8th try? How did your COMSAEs look before you sat for your exams? What did you end up doing if you graduated? #necrobump

Hey OP! Following up to see how things went after this thread. Did you pass on the 8th try? How did your COMSAEs look before you sat for your exams? What did you end up doing if you graduated? #necrobump

Why are you necrobumping these threads are you facing a similar situation?

If I recall correctly, if you take and fail the exam more than 3 times, you cannot practice in multiple states in the US. I doubt he passed the 8th attempt and the last time he was active on this thread was 2 years ago. You won't be getting an answer, its time to let these threads die.

Why are you necrobumping these threads are you facing a similar situation?

If I recall correctly, if you take and fail the exam more than 3 times, you cannot practice in multiple states in the US. I doubt he passed the 8th attempt and the last time he was active on this thread was 2 years ago. You won't be getting an answer, its time to let these threads die.

There are some states that allow unlimited attempts for licensure. That said, I'm not aware of any states that allow completion of the DO degree in more than 6 yrs (with 7 attempts that must have been the case). Perhaps this was not the case in 2011.

Also, OP would have had a near impossible time finding a GME spot, which is required for licensure in EVERY state.

In the case of OP, I honestly think the school did them a disservice by even allowing them to take it so many times without intervening in some way (forcing a live boards course, etc.). I also don't know how someone can get a <150 score on the COMLEX. Like I have no idea what that entails. It sounds equivalent or worse than random guessing, although admittedly I have no idea how its even scored at a score that low. Everyone I've ever heard of has gotten above a 300. Something was clearly wrong on a deeper level, especially since their scores were really all over the place.