Failed a class, can I still do GPR/AEGD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psmith92

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Feeling pretty discouraged right now. I just wrapped up my D1 year ending off with a 2.7 and failed a class. Luckily, it wasn't heavy in credits, so it won't be too bad remediating, but my GPA is suffering pretty badly right now. I'm determined to work my way back up to at least past a 3.0, but are my chances at doing a residency after dental school ruined?

Members don't see this ad.

You'll have no problem securing a position at A gpr/aegd just apply broadly to increase chance. Work hard from here and sky may be the limit.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Feeling pretty discouraged right now. I just wrapped up my D1 year ending off with a 2.7 and failed a class. Luckily, it wasn't heavy in credits, so it won't be too bad remediating, but my GPA is suffering pretty badly right now. I'm determined to work my way back up to at least past a 3.0, but are my chances at doing a residency after dental school ruined?

Do you mind sharing as to why you did poorly your D1 year? And what particular ways you plan on improving?

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't worry about it, usually those that couldn't get into a residency ended up going to AEGD/GPR if they were going to try again on the next cycle. Sadly, some people never get into a program. And the reasons they couldn't get into a residency include low GPA, poor interviewing skills, etc...

Don't let D1 get you down if you want an AEGD /GPR. You have plenty of time to improve your GPA for these, few programs are competitive. Good luck!