Fail NBDE and Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AAM2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am afraid of Not Passing my NBDE and its affect on Residency Applications. With the new P/NP system, does anyone know how this changes reporting? ie. if I need to retake my NBDE Part I, will that show when I apply for residencies and will it affect my chances of being accepted? Should I take my exam and hope I pass, or reschedule when I am more confident and better prepared?

Members don't see this ad.

I am afraid of Not Passing my NBDE and its affect on Residency Applications. With the new P/NP system, does anyone know how this changes reporting? ie. if I need to retake my NBDE Part I, will that show when I apply for residencies and will it affect my chances of being accepted? Should I take my exam and hope I pass, or reschedule when I am more confident and better prepared?

The above poster is wrong. If you fail the NBDE there is close to no chance of going into a residency and it will show that you did fail.

That is not true at all. You may not match at a program, but many programs do not fill their positions. There is more to consider about a candidate than their P/F board score. A program would rather take a good candidate who perhaps failed the NBDE once than to leave positions open by the time July comes around.

Members don't see this ad :)
That is not true at all. You may not match at a program, but many programs do not fill their positions. There is more to consider about a candidate than their P/F board score. A program would rather take a good candidate who perhaps failed the NBDE once than to leave positions open by the time July comes around.

If NBDE scores mattered prior to them becoming pass/fail doesn't it stand to reason that it is horrible for your application if you fail either part?

If NBDE scores mattered prior to them becoming pass/fail doesn't it stand to reason that it is horrible for your application if you fail either part?
I do not disagree that it doesn't help your application, especially when applying to a competitive program. However, not all programs are competitive, nor receive enough applicants that will fill all of their positions. In the 2014, there were 232 unfilled GPR/AEGD positions by July. Not all students who move on to GPRs and AEGDs are the academic and clinically elite students at their schools.

If you fail your NBDE you will have to kiss residency good bye. It is not a written rule, but it has been stated by the admissions committees from residencies themselves.

Well, I am sure glad I didn't see all these responses before taking my test! I ended up going for it and taking my exam in late January (rather than putting it off later in the quarter when I'd be getting bombarded with so many other things). I really wasn't feeling confident, and I felt like utter crap walking out of it..... BUT I PASSED! THANK GOODNESS.

Well, I am sure glad I didn't see all these responses before taking my test! I ended up going for it and taking my exam in late January (rather than putting it off later in the quarter when I'd be getting bombarded with so many other things). I really wasn't feeling confident, and I felt like utter crap walking out of it..... BUT I PASSED! THANK GOODNESS.
Hi, I am going to take nbde 1 in July, I am very confused about what to study from and how to study. Please, share with ur experience I would highly appreciate. Did you memorized biochemistry? I am very weak in it. Thank you. What study material did you use? I am just so confused what book to use? When I study the enzymes In two weeks I forget all these details? It takes for me such a long time to prepare to review hundreds times? Is that only me?))
Thank you