FAFSA Untaxed Income?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bbentertainment

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, question 45 on Fafsa asks for "untaxed income" for the previous year:
" List any money received or paid on your behalf (e.g., payment of your bills) and not reported elsewhere on this form. Enter the total amount of cash support the student received in 2015. Include support from a parent whose information was not reported on the student’s 2017–2018 FAFSA. For example, if someone is paying tuition, rent, utility bills, etc., for the student or gives cash, gift cards, etc., include the amount of that person's contributions. Amounts paid on the student’s behalf also include any distributions to the student from a 529 plan owned by someone other than the student or the student’s parents, such as grandparents, aunts, and uncles of the student"

As a future med student next year, I will be completely independent and will have no parental financial contribution. However, my parents did help pay for my undergrad tuition last year.
Will listing this information prevent me from receiving the maximum amount of financial aid? I am NOT listing my parents income information on fafsa, so why would I have to list their contribution to my untaxed income?
One medical school specifically requested that we list this untaxed income, but I'm unsure if I should answer it?

Can anyone provide insight as to whether or not we should actually list untaxed income and what the potential negative consequences are? I dont want to receive less aid if a school believes my parents will still be paying for my tuition.

Members don't see this ad.

At the graduate / professional level, all students are independent and get awards up to the full Cost Of Attendance of the school. No need to worry.