F30 eligibility criteria, enforced or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nimblywimbly

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
The F30 PA states under eligibility criteria that students cannot have matriculated into the MD/PhD program more than 48 months prior to the original -01 application (suggesting that you need to apply within your first 2 years of PhD), but I have heard of colleagues at other institutions who were funded well into PhD years 3 and 4. Does anyone have any insight into how strictly this eligibility criterion is enforced, if it is at all?

Members don't see this ad.

The F30 PA states under eligibility criteria that students cannot have matriculated into the MD/PhD program more than 48 months prior to the original -01 application (suggesting that you need to apply within your first 2 years of PhD), but I have heard of colleagues at other institutions who were funded well into PhD years 3 and 4. Does anyone have any insight into how strictly this eligibility criterion is enforced, if it is at all?
It was a recent-ish change. For curiosity- why would you not be applying for f30 by year 2 of grad school?

Members don't see this ad :)

Why do you even want to take the chance? This seems like a really foolish question. I wouldn't take too much liberty in interpreting the NIH rules and guidelines for their grant submissions. Funding is tight and NIH reviewers will look for any reason to toss your application out.