Eye protection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

armybound

urologist.
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you all wear?

I recently got LASIK and finally am wearing non-prescription glasses. I've bought cheap shooting glasses (Howard Leight/Honeywell), but the optical quality is really awful.

Any personal experience with relatively inexpensive glasses that you can actually see through?

Members don't see this ad.

What do you all wear?

I recently got LASIK and finally am wearing non-prescription glasses. I've bought cheap shooting glasses (Howard Leight/Honeywell), but the optical quality is really awful.

Any personal experience with relatively inexpensive glasses that you can actually see through?

I am cursed with perfect eyesight, so I've never had glasses. Over the years, I've tried many different models, but ultimately the biggest issue for me is either that they scratch too easily, or they fog up often.

I have now settled on these:
510CJ-j-0TL._SL1000_.jpg

Wilson racquetball specs (jet protective racquetball eyewear) with holes in the lens to help vent. The holes are key, and the only major difference between these and other ones I've tried.

Hope that helps.

Will check them out, thanks.

I've considered more expensive glasses like Wiley-X, Nike, or Oakley. Maybe when I'm not poor.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am cursed with perfect eyesight, so I've never had glasses. Over the years, I've tried many different models, but ultimately the biggest issue for me is either that they scratch too easily, or they fog up often.

I have now settled on these:
510CJ-j-0TL._SL1000_.jpg

Wilson racquetball specs (jet protective racquetball eyewear) with holes in the lens to help vent. The holes are key, and the only major difference between these and other ones I've tried.

Hope that helps.

is this for the OR?
is it common for attendings to buy their own eye protection and not use the free ones provided by the hospital?

I've never worn glasses either and found that my loupes fogged up less and didn't scratch, so that's what I've worn since residency. When I've forgotten them (sometimes I clean out the bag I carry and forget to put them back in, or leave them in an OR), I have some cheap vendor ones from Stryker in my lockers but the quality isn't very good.

The disposable ones fog quickly for me. I've tried the shield and the glasses...equally foggy. I've found that some people are fine with these, while others detest them, so clearly it has something to do with the angle of the nose, seal of the mask, and tendency to sweat.

And yes, it is common for attendings to buy their own eyewear. I've never shelled out the big bucks, but I've found that the common problem across all affordable models for me was essentially solved when I got goggles with venting holes in them.

I wouldn't spend a fortune, as ultimately they get lost or scratched over time. Also, if you operate in more than one location, you'd have to either buy multiple pairs or lug them around. I have a consolidated practice, but still operate in 3 areas within my medical center, all within a 10-15 minute walk, but still I keep a pair in my 3 different lockers.

On a side note, I've now reverted back to securing my mask with paper tape on the bridge of my nose for all cases >1 hour. I am not satisfied with the adhesive on the mask itself. When I do this wrong, I have a pretty good tape burn across my cheeks. I'd love to hear a better way, but without a good seal I will fog up regardless of which glasses I employ.

Reactions: 2 users
I just use the throwaway masks with the faceshields (no adhesive or tape use) and don't have an issue. I guess I've learned how to pinch them on my nose in a way that works for me. Wearing separate glasses and mask cause me to fog up just about every time unless it's my own prescription glasses (which have an anti-fog coating, but I prefer to wear contacts as my vision seems sharper).

Reactions: 1 user
On a side note, I've now reverted back to securing my mask with paper tape on the bridge of my nose for all cases >1 hour. I am not satisfied with the adhesive on the mask itself. When I do this wrong, I have a pretty good tape burn across my cheeks. I'd love to hear a better way, but without a good seal I will fog up regardless of which glasses I employ.
I used to only use the "strong adhesive" masks, but they really irritated my face. Now I use the ones that are the same as the mask/shield masks but without the shield. They have a nice foam on the nose which is pretty comfy and I haven't had any fogging or falling issues.

Fluidshield* Fog-Free Surgical Mask-Kimberly-Clark Professional*

Basically anything other than the disposable plastic OR ones.

Yours would be low on the douchey scale (the high end is usually reserved for the Oakleys, etc - including one staff who had brightly colored ones). Would get some bonus "dad vibe" points though.
LOL...yes we always made fun of those who wore Oakley's (it was usually some gunner medical student or scrub tech rather than any of the residents or attendings).

The disposable ones fog quickly for me. I've tried the shield and the glasses...equally foggy. I've found that some people are fine with these, while others detest them, so clearly it has something to do with the angle of the nose, seal of the mask, and tendency to sweat.

And yes, it is common for attendings to buy their own eyewear. I've never shelled out the big bucks, but I've found that the common problem across all affordable models for me was essentially solved when I got goggles with venting holes in them.

I wouldn't spend a fortune, as ultimately they get lost or scratched over time. Also, if you operate in more than one location, you'd have to either buy multiple pairs or lug them around. I have a consolidated practice, but still operate in 3 areas within my medical center, all within a 10-15 minute walk, but still I keep a pair in my 3 different lockers.

The anti fog foam>>>>adhesive for me. I use something like this
surgical-m.jpg

Separate glasses always seem to fog. I know some people who swore by one of these wrapped upside down on their forehead with a non face shield mask worn normally (achieves this sort of result
3-4-face-shield-surgical-eye-visor.jpg_350x350.jpg
but with less coverage so not as annoying to wear, but does give you some risk of liquid reaching your face if it has a certain trajectory)

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, no personal insult intended.

In my case, its probably left over from the 80s/90s association of Oakley's with guys who drive monster trucks, wear wife beaters and printed pants with a fanny pack. We made sport of those guys.
Nah, I understand. I can't quite bring myself to own any Oakleys because they remind me too much of 90s baseball players.

Reactions: 1 users
I actually found an old pair of those Oakley M frames in my closet from high school baseball. It would only cost me $20-30 to buy a clear lens for them and use them in the OR for eye protection. I thought about it for a few minutes...
I'd definitely do it. That's basically what my shooting glasses look like anyway.

My 2.5x loupes are Oakley frames. But it wasn't outside the box, pretty much everyone in my residency was getting them. They are so much lighter and more comfortable than the conventional frames.

oakleys here too. also oakley loupes. thinking about oakley lead glasses. I hope this doesn't make me a DB :pompous: