Extremely confused regarding TMJ...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yankpak786

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that the First Aid book states that the fibrocartilage covers the articulating surfaces of the glenoid fossa and the condyle... but in a lot of practice Q's I'm encountering vague terminology that's throwing me off.
Questions that are confusing me:
What covers the condyle? Is it dense fibrous CT or fibrocartilage? (are they both the same?!)

What covers the articulating surface of the TMJ (what does this even mean, like glenoid or condyle, both? Fibrocartilage

And what covers the TMJ surface of articulation for a baby, and also for an adult? There seem to be differences but I cannot find it anywhere. I'm so lost.

Please help.

Members don't see this ad.

I know that the First Aid book states that the fibrocartilage covers the articulating surfaces of the glenoid fossa and the condyle... but in a lot of practice Q's I'm encountering vague terminology that's throwing me off.
Questions that are confusing me:
What covers the condyle? Is it dense fibrous CT or fibrocartilage? (are they both the same?!)

What covers the articulating surface of the TMJ (what does this even mean, like glenoid or condyle, both? Fibrocartilage

And what covers the TMJ surface of articulation for a baby, and also for an adult? There seem to be differences but I cannot find it anywhere. I'm so lost.

Please help.
The mandibular condyle (and the disk) is covered with fibrous collagenous tissue, but the articulating surface is covered by fibrocartilage. That answers your question about adults as well.

In babies, the condyle is covered by poorly vascularized cartilage that becomes fibrous with time.