Extracurriculars in Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HueySmith

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am mostly spending time trying to memorize all the information that is thrown at me on a daily basis in medical school. I don't even think about joining any clubs, holding any leadership position, or volunteering, because I don't think I can handle that much on my plate! Will residency program directors reject me as a potential resident solely because of my lack of involvement in anything? I don't want to be a fourth year with nothing on my CV, and cannot even land a spot in family medicine :(.

Members don't see this ad.

What year are you in?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not experienced in applying for residencies, so that's the preface.

However, I think if you feel like you're barely treading water, there's no reason to jeopardize your academics by jumping into EC's. Sure, it's great to have EC's for many reasons. But you know what PDs really like? Board scores. Interpersonal skills. Interest in the field. Interest in the program. Then somewhere down the line, EC's. My humble opinion is to only do EC's if you feel like you can handle them. Maybe join a couple of clubs that are little/no time commitment just to have something in your CV. But don't commit yourself to 10 hours a week in a leadership position if you need that 10 hours to study. Not many programs will want you if you have a mountain of EC's and a 200 step score. You need to demonstrate your aptitude. Hopefully this helps!

Reactions: 1 user
I am mostly spending time trying to memorize all the information that is thrown at me on a daily basis in medical school. I don't even think about joining any clubs, holding any leadership position, or volunteering, because I don't think I can handle that much on my plate! Will residency program directors reject me as a potential resident solely because of my lack of involvement in anything? I don't want to be a fourth year with nothing on my CV, and cannot even land a spot in family medicine :(.

My ERAS isn't very colorful in regards to extracurricular, but my board scores are terrific. I'll take that trade any day. Most PDs don't care very much.

Reactions: 2 users
Unless your extracurriculars are in research, majority of PDs probably don't care. It goes board scores > 3rd year clinical grades > LORs > research.

I don't even think about joining any clubs, holding any leadership position, or volunteering,

This isn't like getting into medical school, these types of things matter exceptionally little when you apply to residency (despite what all club presidents and your administration will say). Most important above all else is to master the material so you can crush boards. Then focus on being likeable, and solid on rotations and get good LORs. Network and make connections, and if you have some time somewhere in there and want to do an EC then do research. A few pubs will go along nicely with that boss Step score you earned because you were studying while everyone else was trying to spend 30 hours a week being in 5 clubs.

I got like maybe 40h of volunteering from 4-5 activities, but that's about it...I'm 3rd year...don't think I'll have time for much more volunteering lol

I'm a professional napper. Member of 1 club, going to be a co-founder of a new club in January. But that's about it.

I was a member of zero clubs in med school. to balance this, I decided to also be a member of zero organizations.

Reactions: 2 users
lol.. well there you go. Did it come up at all during residency interviews?
nope. for the most part the only things they seemed to care about was scores and if I did a SubI there.

Clubs/associations might be helpful to give you something extra to talk about at interviews or on ERAS, but nobody's really going to question a lack of them.

Join what you're legitimately interested in, but don't do it because you feel obligated and don't sacrifice necessary study time for it.

Thank you for the well-informed and lighthearted responses!

I'll go on the flip side of the coin and say that clubs can be very beneficial for networking if you are a passionate and competent club officer. Easy way to get more LORs if planned correctly and you know how to leverage opportunities. If a phd is your faculty advisor, it's not going to be a big deal. However, if your faculty advisor is the Dean, Provost, or other "higher up" admin.. it can definitely be worthwhile for minimal effort. Just something to think about..

I joined only two organizations internal medicine and emergency medicine interest group

Solely because internal offers preparation sessions for basic science tests to members and EM does clinic where a doc comes in and let's us do some random procedure on a pigs foot

TLDR joined only one or two that perked my interest with zero intention of become pres vp or director of nonsense relations

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile