exponent/raised to a power on calculator

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

glme

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
for the compound interest questions, sometimes I would have to do raised to the 12th power, for which I would prefer to use a calculator, but I don't think the calculator on BC, which should be identical to the actual DAT calculator, has one?

If it really does not have one, how do you solve 0.01^12?

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-04-28 at 1.49.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-28 at 1.49.39 PM.png
    26.7 KB · Views: 184
for the compound interest questions, sometimes I would have to do raised to the 12th power, for which I would prefer to use a calculator, but I don't think the calculator on BC, which should be identical to the actual DAT calculator, has one?

If it really does not have one, how do you solve 0.01^12?
Here's the right answer:
(.01)^12 = (10^(-2))^12 = (10)^(-24)
Note:
0.01 = 10^(-2)

Reactions: 2 users
The DAT calculator really doesn't have a power function. The expectation here is that you will learn the methods above to manipulate exponents manually rather than solving them out manually.

Members don't see this ad :)
The DAT calculator really doesn't have a power function. The expectation here is that you will learn the methods above to manipulate exponents manually rather than solving them out manually.

Is it the same one used for gChem? How are we supposed to find pH/[H3O+] with acid base problems if there's no log/exponent functions?

Here's the right answer:
(.01)^12 = (10^(-2))^12 = (10)^(-24)
Note:
0.01 = 10^(-2)

I understand how to get to that, but here's the question he is referring to:

Craig invests $1,000 in two different banks. At Bank A, Craig deposits his money into a new type of account that has a monthly interest rate of 1% (rather than an annual rate) and compounds every month. At Bank B, he invests in a normal account with an annual interest rate of 12% compounded annually. Which investment made more money at the end of one year, and by how much?

Bank B is easy to solve for, but for bank A, you end up at:

math-5-38-2.png

How do you solve for that exponent? Do I have to plug it into my calculator 12 times?

Thanks

Reactions: 1 user
Is it the same one used for gChem? How are we supposed to find pH/[H3O+] with acid base problems if there's no log/exponent functions?

You should be able to approximate. For example if [H+] = 1 * 10^-7, then you can say the -log = 7. Similarly, 1*10^-8 : pH =8. Also, know the half pH values which occurs at [H+] = 3.16 * 10^whatever. If you have Chad's videos, he does a great explanation.