Explanations for the official Step 2 CK practice materials

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bwmd

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I previously wrote up explanations and take home points for the official 2013-2014 NBME Step 2CK practice materials, which contains 131 questions (with answers but no discussion) and can be found here.

You can find the explanations here. I'd like to think they're probably helpful, even if you can already answer the questions correctly. For further reading, feel free to peruse my thoughts on how to approach nbme/usmle questions, which includes some thoughts on how to handle frustrating "next best step" type questions and the like.

Update: The 2014-15 set explanations are available here.

Update 2: The 2015-16 set explanations are available here.

Update 3: The 2016-17 set explanations are now available here.

Update 4: The 2017-18 set has nothing new.

Update 5: The 2018-19 set has nothing new, but things have been updated a bit.

Update 6: The 2019-20 set is unchanged. Post here.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Thank you for sharing this! I didn't even realize there were any free Step 2 sample questions so very appreciative :)

My updated explanations for the 2014-15 set can be found here. There are only a few new questions compared with last year's set, but the order is completely jumbled.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The new 2016-17 sample questions came out last month. There is a decrease in question count corresponding to the new Step 2 CK changes and a mind-blasting two new questions compared with last year (but the question order is completely scrambled). Here are my new explanations.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you for sharing this with us! Your time and effort are greatly appreciated.

Reactions: 1 user
Here are the updated explanations for the 2017-18 Step 2 CK official practice questions. The PDF is unchanged from last year, but I did add explanations for the multimedia/research questions.

Here are the updated explanations for the new 2018-19 set. There aren't new questions, but there was at least one subtle change.