Explaining bad grades in personal statement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brinedandgrilled

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need to explain some really bad grades that I got, but the reason doesn't fit into my personal statement at all. Should I add the explanation as a sort of addendum at the end? I don't want to end on a negative note, but I don't see how else to fit it in. Is there some other place in the app that I'm missing that I could discuss this?

For context, in the PS I'm already talking about a struggle that I overcame (which was not the reason for the bad grades) and how it compounded my interest in becoming a doctor. The other tough thing I went through has nothing to do with my desire to be a doctor and is only relevant because of the effect it had on my academics.

Members don't see this ad.

If bad grades weren't part of your PS to begin with, I would not mention it at all. However, I think secondary applications will give you the opportunity to bring it up and explain your case in the future!

8ed8818a4a2553f31bf04cce4f042fadfdf2c12b_hq.gif

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It was a period longer than a year, for something other than personal/family illness, and I'm talking really bad grades. I would just feel really odd not mentioning it, especially since I didn't decide to pursue medicine till after I'd graduated, and then did extremely well post-bacc when I did all my prerequisites (and lots of upper level bio to try to compensate from my college GPA). It's a huge, obvious stain on my academic record so wouldn't it be weird to just not say anything?

Also, yeah I went through a hard thing, but I know that what killed my grades was the fact that I handled it extremely poorly. I became a stronger person and learned how not to handle unfortunate events. If I explained that, would that sound like an excuse? I'm confused because I've read other threads on here and the gist of the responses seems to be to not mention it, but then instructions for the PS say you may wish to include "commentary on significant fluctuations in your academic record which are not explained elsewhere in your application."

It was a period longer than a year, for something other than personal/family illness, and I'm talking really bad grades. I would just feel really odd not mentioning it, especially since I didn't decide to pursue medicine till after I'd graduated, and then did extremely well post-bacc when I did all my prerequisites (and lots of upper level bio to try to compensate from my college GPA). It's a huge, obvious stain on my academic record so wouldn't it be weird to just not say anything?

Also, yeah I went through a hard thing, but I know that what killed my grades was the fact that I handled it extremely poorly. I became a stronger person and learned how not to handle unfortunate events. If I explained that, would that sound like an excuse? I'm confused because I've read other threads on here and the gist of the responses seems to be to not mention it, but then instructions for the PS say you may wish to include "commentary on significant fluctuations in your academic record which are not explained elsewhere in your application."

In my experience many, but not all, secondaries asked if there was something else you would like to say or would like to explain about your application. I'd put it there, but be conscientious of the wise words of gonnif.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

In my experience many, but not all, secondaries asked if there was something else you would like to say or would like to explain about your application. I'd put it there, but be conscientious of the wise words of gonnif.

Thanks. Do you think I might be filtered out based on undergrad GPA if I don't explain, though? Undergrad is 3.18 and post-bacc is 3.98 (all of my BCPM was done post-bacc).

Thanks. Do you think I might be filtered out based on undergrad GPA if I don't explain, though? Undergrad is 3.18 and post-bacc is 3.98 (all of my BCPM was done post-bacc).

No idea. I suspect that by definition, filtered out means a computer does it and the words in you PS don't make a difference, but I'm not an adcom so I'm speculating. Someone with more authority will need to speak to that.

EDIT: I've read about reinvention on here so I suspect it's more complicated than you'll be filtered out with the discrepancy of post-bac to undergrad GPA, but I again defer to folks who know more than me.

I need to explain some really bad grades that I got, but the reason doesn't fit into my personal statement at all. Should I add the explanation as a sort of addendum at the end? I don't want to end on a negative note, but I don't see how else to fit it in. Is there some other place in the app that I'm missing that I could discuss this?

For context, in the PS I'm already talking about a struggle that I overcame (which was not the reason for the bad grades) and how it compounded my interest in becoming a doctor. The other tough thing I went through has nothing to do with my desire to be a doctor and is only relevant because of the effect it had on my academics.
Remember the purpose of the PS: Why Medicine. Its sometimes easy to forget that, I'm guilty of that too!

Don't bring up bad grades, unless it is absolutely central to you becoming a physician.

It seems that it isn't, and it would be more of a clarifier you'd throw in at the end of the PS that would be very out of place and leave a bad taste in the adcom reader's mouths.

There is a spot for disciplinary action in AMCAS. I think its 1325 characters or something. If you had really bad grades, I'm sure your school put you on probation or something similar. Even then, don't focus on the poor grades as much as you should focus on what you learned from that period of time. Your postbach GPA will show them you can perform well.

Sent from my SM-N910V using SDN mobile

I had trouble with this as my bad year and my recovery from it was central to the activities I became involved in after college and had a significant impact on who I am today (I became involved in some counseling positions). I incorporated the concept of failure and redemption in the first paragraph and then focused on the rest of the story. It got strong approval from those who read it, but I did not realize how bad it might be to bring that up and in some ways regret it. On the other hand, I would certainly not be the person I am or have had the experiences that led to my interest in medicine without it. If you have already written much of your statement and did not need to bring it up to explain the "why medicine, why now?" aspect, then don't feel obligated to add it in. I'm pre-writing secondaries and one question is about the most humbling experience you have had and how that affected you. Might be a good place to explain.

I also had a slew of bad grades in undergrad. I didn't mention them in personal statement, but actually asked a professor to mention that despite subpar grades I was an enthusiastic learner in his recommendation. In all my interviews (and for MSTP there are a lot of people interviewing you) only 1 person ever mentioned my grades and I had a short, sweet, response to them. I say that your application and especially your personal statement, is about who you are now. If there's space in a secondary, do that, but don't worry too much about it otherwise.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
That's good. So what is your BCPM GPA?
It's 3.98.

Thank you everyone for your advice! I was never put on academic probation (thank the lord), so I can't put it under disciplinary action, so I'm leaning towards just not mentioning it till secondary apps; hopefully I get some. I'm also going to try calling my top choices next week and see if they have any preference.

It's 3.98.

Thank you everyone for your advice! I was never put on academic probation (thank the lord), so I can't put it under disciplinary action, so I'm leaning towards just not mentioning it till secondary apps; hopefully I get some. I'm also going to try calling my top choices next week and see if they have any preference.
If your grades weren't bad enough to land you on academic probation, then they weren't really bad.

Undergrad is 3.18 and post-bacc is 3.98 (all of my BCPM was done post-bacc).

If your grades weren't bad enough to land you on academic probation, then they weren't really bad.

@brinedandgrilled Can you clarify? Are you saying that the 3.18 undergrad GPA was the result of some good grades and some really bad grades, such as a mix of A's, B's and a couple of D's and F's?

There were a few semesters where I got a mixture of A's and D's (even one D-). A's in the easy classes, D's in the classes that required more. Luckily, I never dipped below a 2.0 GPA for any one semester, so I never got put on academic probation. But I'd still say D's are "really bad."

Last edited:
@brinedandgrilled Can you clarify? Are you saying that the 3.18 undergrad GPA was the result of some good grades and some really bad grades, such as a mix of A's, B's and a couple of D's and F's?

Yep. I never got an F (and down to D- was still passing), and I never dipped below 2.0 GPA for any single semester, so I never got put on academic probation, but there were a few semesters when I got combinations of A's and D's.

Given this info, do you think I should say something after all?

Yep. I never got an F (and down to D- was still passing), and I never dipped below 2.0 GPA for any single semester, so I never got put on academic probation, but there were a few semesters when I got combinations of A's and D's.

Given this info, do you think I should say something after all?

Not making an effort and getting Ds in not good but there were no bad grades in science classes and you did very well in a post-bac so you have demonstrated your ability to handle the day-to-day demands of a rigorous academic schedule.

Reactions: 1 user