This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThatGuy15

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. As I am preparing to graduate from New York University, I have decided to apply for a master’s degree before I fully commit to a Ph.D. I will only be applying to one program and that’s the experimental psychology program at CUNY Brooklyn College. I will be using the master’s degree to become a more competitive applicant for doctoral studies. The reason for this post is because I would like to know if anyone here has had any experience being in the program or the Department of Psychology at Brooklyn College in general. If nobody has had any experience, perhaps someone here can point me out to a different website where I can find more information about the program or suggest any tips on how to find out such information on my own. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone. As I am preparing to graduate from New York University, I have decided to apply for a master’s degree before I fully commit to a Ph.D. I will only be applying to one program and that’s the experimental psychology program at CUNY Brooklyn College. I will be using the master’s degree to become a more competitive applicant for doctoral studies. The reason for this post is because I would like to know if anyone here has had any experience being in the program or the Department of Psychology at Brooklyn College in general. If nobody has had any experience, perhaps someone here can point me out to a different website where I can find more information about the program or suggest any tips on how to find out such information on my own. Thank you.
I was actually about to inquire about this program , I am also interested in applying

Same. I really want to go there to for the MA in Experimental Psych program.

I'm currently a student in this program. Like any other program, it's what you make of it. The faculty are excellent and there are opportunities to do research. Many classes are offered during the day with only select few in the evening (after 5pm). So if you're working full time, you will have some difficulty finding classes to fit your schedule. The most difficult classes in the program for most students are the 2 required Stats classes. I highly advise to take the History of Psychology class and to do careful work in it, as this is one of the areas tested on the comprehensive exam at the end of the program. The format most professors choose for their lectures is: each class there are 3 assigned articles, and one of the students presents one of the articles in class. There is then some class discussion with select comments from the professor. So in effect you're mostly listening to other students talk rather than listening to the professor lecture, which has it's pluses and minuses. On the plus side, it's more engaging and fun. On the negative side, you don't get to learn much from the experience and knowledge base of the professor, who actually knows something about the topic. There is currently a lot of flexibility with taking electives outside of the experimental psychology program, as well as opportunity to do independent study/independent reading. I guess the main take away from this review should be, the program is strong but one shouldn't be working full-time while doing it, and make sure to participate in research in one of the labs (although you don't have to). A lot of students come here because there is no GRE requirement.
PS
There are no clinical psych classes offered in the program. But I do know students who went on to a clinical Phd afterwards.