Experience before applying to ENDO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dudeitsme

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a recent graduate from dental school. I've been working for the past 3 months and I've been soaking up as much experience that I can in endo. as I can in the private practice setting. I've been trying to learn more through endo. CE's as well.

If I would like to make myself as competitive as possible before applying for the opening 2017 cycle next year-- what do I need to do to get as much 'experience' as possible?

I understand most programs want experience--- but does that mean as a GP and in terms of efficiency and speed as a GP... or would they like me to get as much ENDO experience working as a general dentist?

Obviously as much endo experience is preferred- but what do they specifically look for when programs want EXPERIENCE?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sorry I don't have an answer to your question (maybe bumping it will help), but I have a few questions myself: How many years of experience will you have before applying and how many years of experience do you feel most endo programs like to see?

My understanding is experience as a GP, whether AEGD, GPR, private practice or military is what that means mainly. However, some of that should include endo experience. By having a good understanding of general dentistry, you will have a better understanding of endodontics, pain, and restorability. Extra CE courses in endo will show your continued interest, so it can't hurt. But I think it mainly refers to GP experience.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Programs that want "experience" usually mean they want an applicant who has completed an AEGD/GPR, military training, public health or private practice. I wouldn't be worried to much about trying to gain additional endo experience in pracitce. I can tell you the program I went to accepted people who practiced as general dentists who did zero root canals but had an interest in the specialty. Sometimes directors are a little wary about taking the super GP that does all of their own endo and has taken a bunch of CE because it is hard to break any bad habits that they may have developed. The key to remember is you are going to residency to learn how to do endo. By the time you complete your endo residency you will be able to do good quality endo at an efficient speed regardless of your previous experiences. Focus more on becoming a good well rounded applicant and doing things that will make you stand out compared to other applicants. Become involved in local study clubs, get involved with the community, etc. They are looking for people who are a well rounded applicant!

Reactions: 1 user